Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:42:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Beatles are fucking good.

Started by madhair60, December 16, 2012, 10:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beagle 2

Quote from: hedgehog90 on December 17, 2012, 01:33:22 AM
When I saw Neil Young at Hyde Park a few years ago, Macca went on stage and they performed A Day in the Life together.
It struck me earlier today while watching the Neil Young 'Journey' film that since its mostly Lennon's song, it was likely a rare chance for him to perform it. Was that the first time he'd perormed it since they split maybe? Seems very unlikely but anyway... It was an amazing surprise to see a Beatle suddenly appear on stage and play one of their best songs with another of my favourite musicians. It was a great performance.

I was at that gig, and was so off my tits on smuggled vodka that I didn't notice that he'd come on stage, despite my girlfriend and my girlfriend's mum desperately trying to tell me. Still, I'm sure that's not a once in a lifetime opportunity squandered for ever.

He did a Day in the Life when I went to see him a couple of years back, which was fucking amazing, but then it segued into a John Lennon medley of Power to the People etc. which was shit. The only shit thing about the gig, mind.

Jemble Fred

For numerous reasons I won't specify just yet, getting an interview with Paul and/or Ringo is one of my aims in 2013. Talk about aiming high, but I am preparing and setting myself up for it with immense care and attention to detail. Fingers crossed!

CaledonianGonzo

Has anyone seen The Bootleg Beatles recently?  Neil Harrison retired a while back, but the new bloke doing John is an especially eerie fab doppleganger.  Not quite a perfect fit vocally, but I had to do a double take when I clapped eyes on him.

Sadly, the new Bootleg Paul looks like he comes from Louis Tussauds. 

Um - I saw Macca last summer with Springsteen at Hyde Park where he did I Saw Her Standing There and Twist & Shout.  So that was quite good.

daf

monkfromhavana

Quote from: BlodwynPig on December 16, 2012, 10:42:49 PM
When I re-start up my Hip-House thread, I hope you all join in.

Tyree & Fast Eddie were far better than The Beatles.

rudi

That's because Tyree produces his own records. He says so. Often.

He's also an awesome super duper trooper.

And he made the bass. Basically, the boy is bangin.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: rudi on December 17, 2012, 05:10:37 PM
That's because Tyree produces his own records. He says so. Often.

He's also an awesome super duper trooper.

And he made the bass. Basically, the boy is bangin.

I'd like to see George Martin, Sir Paul & Ringo knock together a Hip-House record. That's right, they haven't, because they can't.

When I hear a tune the stature of "Hardcore Hip-House" from the boys, then, and only then, will I cast a fresh eye over The Beatles and their breakbeat-less back catalogue.

CaledonianGonzo

Likewise I'll re-evaluate the oeuvre of Beatmasters feat. Cookie Crew when they play an 8 month-long engagement in Hamburg's Kaiserkeller playing Gene Vincent covers and waving their willies at nuns.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on December 17, 2012, 06:58:07 PM
Likewise I'll re-evaluate the oeuvre of Beatmasters feat. Cookie Crew when they play an 8 month-long engagement in Hamburg's Kaiserkeller playing Gene Vincent covers and waving their willies at nuns.

If you put it to their  agents (if the Beatmasters still have an agent) they probably would.

CaledonianGonzo

Despite the best intentions of The Beatmasters, it's probable that the Cookie Crew will scupper the deal by failing to meet the terms of the contract.

(Unless they've somehow managed to grow willies at some point in the last two decades).

monkfromhavana

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on December 17, 2012, 07:14:24 PM
Despite the best intentions of The Beatmasters, it's probable that the Cookie Crew will scupper the deal by failing to meet the terms of the contract.

(Unless they've somehow managed to grow willies at some point in the last two decades).

There was no mention of the Cookie Crew waving their non-existent willies, only that willies would be waved by The Beatmasters ft. The Cookie Crew. How they choose to divide up their responsibilities vis-a-vis entertaining the Kaiserkeller crowd is their own deal.

Look if we sat down with both respective parties, i'm sure that The Beatmasters would be up for their half of the deal. Whereas those floppy haired scousers with their posho producer would turn their noses up at the thought of fusing weak rapping, simpled looped breaks and housey piano to rock the crowd.

SteveDave

And also! It's Christmas!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFMr2fp9w6k

Matches! Candles! Matches! Candles!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0p7Wfm5KbI

Theatre hour is brought to you tonight from the arms of someone new.

Both of them tossed off in a day or so...

DrGreggles

Am I alone is prefer the Spector version of The Long and Winding Road to the naked one?

It always seems quite a boring song to me, so the strings liven it up a bit.

CaledonianGonzo

Nope.  I love it - it's one of my favourite Beatles songs full stop so I'd take it in any version, but I prefer the adulterated product.  I can understand the dislike for it - it's a little syrupy and thus the antithesis of George Martin's more spare, unsentimental arrangements - but to me it's the original and best.

Same goes for Across The Universe.

CaledonianGonzo

Those who like the photography of Ethan Russell may be interested in this:

http://www.ethanrussell.com/store/cart.php?target=category&category_id=108

Granted, it's still frickin expensive, but you don't often get these at such a markdown.

daf

The 'Let it Be Naked' album was a missed opportunity.

• the track order should have been maintained - it's now like someones ipod on shuffle.
• dropping Dig it and Maggie Mae - 'Dig it' is my second favourite song on the album[nb]after 'Two of Us'[/nb]
• not correcting the speed error on 'Across the Universe' - it's too fast on Past Masters, and too slow on the Let it Be album.[nb]At the right speed on Anthology 2.[/nb]
• Removing all the stings Spector put on - it's there to cover bum notes and fill the sound out a bit. (they can cut the choir though,  that does seem WAY over the top)
• Not using the original 'Get Back and 11 other songs' cover :

Replies From View

Quote from: SteveDave on December 17, 2012, 09:56:17 PM
And also! It's Christmas!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFMr2fp9w6k

Matches! Candles! Matches! Candles!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0p7Wfm5KbI

Theatre hour is brought to you tonight from the arms of someone new.

Both of them tossed off in a day or so...

My favourite is this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qgrzz2IZ7s

It predates their more experimental Christmas productions, but has them reaching the absolute limits of the old format.  John in particular is spectacularly nutty.

"Bodies floatin' in the River Jordan!   ...well, that should cover Israel."

"You take no notice of them; it's an all-white policy in this group!"

SteveDave

Quote from: daf on December 18, 2012, 11:25:57 AM
• dropping Dig it and Maggie Mae - 'Dig it' is my second favourite song on the album

Agreed. The 8 & 1/2 minute version is a thing of beauty.

The Βoston Crab

I can't start new threads on the mobile skin and I've just viewed the nostalgic dance thread so it no longer appears in unread topics so this will have to do. Hopefully there's a fair bit of crossover of interests.

I once heard a K-Klass Essential Mix, what was the best track on it? I really wish I could remember. It was quite jacking French house style but a bit cheesier, I suppose. Any ideas? Thanks.

Jemble Fred

Yeah, I think this is why I've not got round to purchasing it yet – just listened on YouTube. It's just created a totally unnecessary aberration in Beatles lore really. I'd have sooner had an entirely 'new' album bringing together every single unreleased original Beatles song in one package, both the early demos (Bad To Me et al) and the later missed opportunities, like All Things Must Pass.

biggytitbo

I've always really liked Dig a Pony aswell. I don't really care that the lyrics make no sense, it never held them back in 1967, or indeed Macca for most of his career.

Replies From View

It's too sterile and loses all sense of work-in-progress that even Spector's version retained, despite the extra production.  The album needs a background sense of the boys cocking about.

When 'Let it Be Naked' came out I was so disappointed that I assembled a version that follows the structure of Glyn Johns' 1969 attempts, using scraps from bootlegs, the Anthologies and the Naked album.  It has all the "rooftop" style songs (even when done in the studio) on side 1, and all the ones they never did on the roof like Two of Us, Let it Be and Long and Winding Road on side 2.  That's how Glyn Johns dealt with the puzzle of the two styles not fitting[nb]Paul's fault!  The album could have been completely about them being a band like the old days (as agreed) if he hadn't brought in ballads that sounded incomplete without an orchestra![/nb] - he just kept them apart. 

In order to keep Across the Universe and I Me Mine I've not been able to maintain a completely authentic 1969 structure, but Glyn Johns did have one last go in 1970 anyway, introducing those songs.  My version of side 2 adds some of Spector's sequencing to Johns' structure, but maintains the raw feel of all the tracks.  I've often thought about putting Spector's version of Long and Winding Road in though, just because I think it would fit.

Let me know by PM if you fancy a listen and I'll send you a link as a Christmas present!  Alternatively here's a track listing so you just get the idea:

Side 1)
1) One After 909
2) Don't Let Me Down
3) Dig A Pony
4) I've Got A Feeling
5) Mailman, Bring Me No More Blues
6) For You Blue

Side 2)
1) Two of Us
2) Let it Be
3) I Me Mine
4) The Long and Winding Road
5) Across The Universe
6) Get Back

Imagine it filled with studio chatter and bits of other songs as the band mess about (including Dig It and Maggie Mae, still undermining Let it Be as per Spector's version), and that's that.

Edit:  Got the track listing wrong!

Jemble Fred

I'll have you know that since I heard that song, I have NEVER lacked the confidence to syndicate rowing boats.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: biggytitbo on December 16, 2012, 11:13:54 PM

Help is sometime overlooked too - its got I've just seen a face on it, so its therefore brilliant.

That's probably my favourite pre-Revolver album. Although 'From Me To You' is my fave pre-65 single.

Never been that into Abbey Road, and don't like much of Let It Be. I guess it doesn't count as a proper studio album but I'd pick Magical Mystery Tour as my all-time favourite. Generally though, I'm of the opinion that The Beatles weren't a particularly great album band (*prepares for abuse*). Unsurpassed as far as singles go, but I can't think of any of their LPs which don't have a few duffers on (although I think Sgt Pepper is pretty complete. Replace 'Within You Without You' (no offense to it, but I think it would work better as a b-side) with 'Penny Lane' and 'Strawberry Fields' and it would be perfect).

biggytitbo

Yeah the amount of great songs that aren't on the albums is amazing.

So if the Beatles put all their best songs on their albums, how great would those albums be?

Everyone else in history would probably have to just give up.

Revolver would have Rain and Paperback Writer on, Sergeant Pepper Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane etc.

El Unicornio, mang

'We Can Work it Out' on Revolver would have been a goodie, I think.

grassbath

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on December 18, 2012, 12:08:02 PM
'We Can Work it Out' on Revolver would have been a goodie, I think.

Or on Rubber Soul instead of "Wait", which was carried over from the Help sessions and consequently sounds way less accomplished than all the other songs. Fits the folk-rock feel too.

Just listening to the White Album again and I propose this question unto thee- who was the best singer? 'Cos obviously John has that instantly distinctive tone but my gosh Paul sounds beautiful at times and they can both pull off screamers and rockers like nobody's business.

biggytitbo

Could have probably squeezed Day Tripper onto Revolver too.

Would All you Need Is Love be a bit late for Sergeant Pepper?

biggytitbo

Quote from: grassbath on December 18, 2012, 12:14:29 PM
Or on Rubber Soul instead of "Wait", which was carried over from the Help sessions and consequently sounds way less accomplished than all the other songs. Fits the folk-rock feel too.

Just listening to the White Album again and I propose this question unto thee- who was the best singer? 'Cos obviously John has that instantly distinctive tone but my gosh Paul sounds beautiful at times and they can both pull off screamers and rockers like nobody's business.

Paul's one of the greatest pop singers ever I reckon. His sheer range singles him out - his ability to do the most delicate ballads and the throatiest screamers with equal aplomb. His Wings stuff demonstrates his range even better - Oh Woman Oh Why and Call Me back Again vs Mamas Little Girl and I'm Carrying. Amazing stuff, and he's usually laying out some complex bass chords at the time aswell.

daf

Quote from: monkfromhavana on December 17, 2012, 06:46:45 PM
When I hear a tune the stature of "Hardcore Hip-House" from the boys, then, and only then, will I cast a fresh eye over The Beatles and their breakbeat-less back catalogue.

Tom Teeley's Beatles Christmas Supermash:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUvCPkp0H0U