Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:43:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Sparks

Started by the science eel, November 23, 2016, 09:57:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulTMA

In some other thread there was a lot of discussion about Russell's voice being in a poor state during Elbow FM's broadcast performance of 'Never Turn Your Back On Mother Earth'.  Now I didn't have my tuning fork on my tonight in Edinburgh, but it sounded like the original key to me and his performance was absolutely incredible.  I expect there will soon be some Youtube evidence shot in the wrong aspect ratio by some short bald man.

the science eel

:)

He was ace, and I didn't hear one bum note. I love the old-fashioned performer stuff - physical, camp, making sure you clock all the audience members, the sincere-sounding 'thank you SO much' said repeatedly towards the end of the set.

Huge respect for the Maels - massive talents. And that was one hell of a band, too.

And I even enjoyed the support act!

- the most captivating psych-pop entertainer in purgatory. Largely based on singing original material over a pastiche of rare soul, psych and funk samples from the audience's subconscious, Mister Goodnite is a duet-based lofi-pop dreamscape somewhere between heaven and hell, Frank Sinatra and Ghost Face, Syd Barrett and Syl Johnson...Aptly titled "loner lounge"

Paaaaul

I enjoyed Mister Goodnite, and was surprised when he came back on stage 30 minutes after he left it.

PaulTMA

I didn't mind him, but last night I think many of the audience didn't give him much time because I think everyone was expecting Sparks to come onstage at 8pm as the show was advertised to finish at 10, plus there was a 5 minute call over the P.A. only for a support act to come out instead.

Neville Chamberlain

Listening to Edith Piaf (Said It Better Than Me) right now. It's just sublime, isn't it? Amazing stuff.

the science eel

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on September 21, 2017, 02:44:08 PM
Listening to Edith Piaf (Said It Better Than Me) right now. It's just sublime, isn't it? Amazing stuff.

I swear I haven't had that song out of my head for a week. My favourite on the album by some distance.

Quote from: the science eel on September 20, 2017, 04:54:18 PM
Did you get a 'this toon...' badge on the way out?

Aye.  Chucked it in the bin.

DrGreggles

Quote from: DrGreggles on September 19, 2017, 08:43:16 AM
I'm at Rock City on the 23rd.
Can't bloody wait!

Fucking amazing they were too!

And who the fuck said Russell's voice was shot?
He was note perfect all night.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Anyone in Bristol want a free pair of tickets to tonight's gig???

alan nagsworth

Probably gig of the year, that was. I was grinning like a maniac all the way, just flawless and wonderful. The Maels are so humble, with Ron at the end saying after a 20 year hiatus from the late '70s, the Shephers Bush Empire was the first UK gig they played when they'd come back, and they were overjoyed to be back there once again tonight. Russell was so endlessly grateful too. They spent about five minutes stood in front of the crowd to rapturous applause before they left, just waving and smiling. They were so happy and full of beans. Remember, they're 68 and 72 years old, but if you were stood at the back and weren't aware of their age, you'd be easily convinced that Russell was twenty years younger at least. Phenomenal!

Highlights were hearing the mind-blowing My Baby's Taking Me Home and being completely awestruck; Ron slowly taking off his jacket, loosening his tie and dancing a demonic Charleston with a sinister grin on his face during No. 1 in Heaven and then resuming his trademark deadpan keyboard position like nothing had happened; and feeling the full impact of Probably Nothing, an ode to old age and dementia, which was thoroughly touching and beautiful.

As others have said, Russell was note-perfect all night, and the backing band were tremendous. I'm so fucking glad I've had the chance to catch them live, especially after releasing what's easily their best album in many years. Unforgettable. What a fucking brilliant band they are.

Neville Chamberlain

My brother was there last night, too, naggers, and he admitted to being somewhat overcome with emotion. Did they play So Tell Me Mrs. Lincoln Aside From That How Was The Play? I can imagine that being utterly fucking barnstorming live.

Could someone at least tell me they were a bit crap, so I don't feel too stupid for missing them in Berlin earlier this month? :-(

DrGreggles

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on September 28, 2017, 07:45:19 AM
Could someone at least tell me they were a bit crap

Nope. Sorry.
The new album is fantastic and the live gigs even better.

the science eel

Only me who hates standing for two hours, then.

DrGreggles

Quote from: the science eel on September 28, 2017, 12:04:39 PM
Only me who hates standing for two hours, then.

Sit down at the back then, you old cunt!

;-)

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on September 28, 2017, 07:45:19 AM
My brother was there last night, too, naggers, and he admitted to being somewhat overcome with emotion. Did they play So Tell Me Mrs. Lincoln Aside From That How Was The Play? I can imagine that being utterly fucking barnstorming live.

'Fraid not Nev, and I would have liked to've seen that one too. Here's the setlist:

What the Hell Is It This Time?
Propaganda
At Home, At Work, At Play
Good Morning
When Do I Get to Sing "My Way"
Probably Nothing
Missionary Position
Hippopotamus
Sherlock Holmes
Dick Around
Scandinavian Design
Edith Piaf (Said It Better Than Me)
Never Turn Your Back on Mother Earth
I Wish You Were Fun
My Baby's Taking Me Home
The Number One Song in Heaven
This Town Ain't Big Enough for Both of Us
Life with the Macbeths

Encore:
Johnny Delusional
Amateur Hour

When Do I Get To Sing "My Way" was fantastic, too.

Paaaaul

Quote from: alan nagsworth on September 28, 2017, 12:06:52 AM
Highlights were hearing the mind-blowing My Baby's Taking Me Home and being completely awestruck;
That was the song I referred to, without directly mentioning the name, earlier.
Definitely my highlight.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Paaaaul on September 28, 2017, 08:46:21 PM
That was the song I referred to, without directly mentioning the name, earlier.
Definitely my highlight.

Aye, I watched that video and thought "ooh that looks like it would be an absolute blast to witness in the flesh!" and then two days later there I was, witnessing it, IN THE FLESH NO LESS. Result.

the science eel

That's the one where he only sings that line over and over again? I loved it too.

Howj Begg

Hello I am a Sparks noob

Whart are the best albums to listen to for  a beginner? Cos blimey they seem to have done a lot

DrGreggles

Quote from: the science eel on September 28, 2017, 09:14:44 PM
That's the one where he only sings that line over and over again? I loved it too.

Great live version here: https://youtu.be/HljyP1mh5IA

the science eel

Quote from: Howj Begg on September 28, 2017, 09:23:36 PM
Hello I am a Sparks noob

Whart are the best albums to listen to for  a beginner? Cos blimey they seem to have done a lot

Kimono My House, without a doubt.

And ignore all the iconoclasts who say they did better. They did not.

Howj Begg

Quote from: the science eel on September 28, 2017, 09:26:35 PM
Kimono My House, without a doubt.

And ignore all the iconoclasts who say they did better. They did not.

Thanks man. I will let you know how much i enjoy it.

I know them from 'This Town' and 'No 1 in Heaven' and 'Get in the Swing' only, so im expecting delights from this.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Howj Begg on September 28, 2017, 09:23:36 PM
Hello I am a Sparks noob

Yeah, start with Kimono. Propaganda and Angst in My Pants are my two other favourites. Li'l Beethoven is regarded as something of a genre defying masterpiece, also.

Howj Begg

Quote from: alan nagsworth on September 28, 2017, 09:32:21 PM
Li'l Beethoven is regarded as something of a genre defying masterpiece, also.

I like the sound of that!  Getting that too

non capisco

Angst In My Pants is such a boss, boss album. Hooks up the wazzoo.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Howj Begg on September 28, 2017, 09:40:39 PM
I like the sound of that!  Getting that too

Sorry I meant more like an art-pop masterpiece. It's definitely more of an unconventional and experimental release from them.

Howj Begg

Well Kimono my House is fucking amazing then

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Great start, get onto Propaganda then Indiscreet!

the science eel

Quote from: Howj Begg on September 29, 2017, 03:38:59 PM
Well Kimono my House is fucking amazing then

This pleases me.

Isn't the intro to 'Thank God It's Not Christmas' the best thing ever? I fucking LOVE that.

And yeah - get Propaganda and Indiscreet next. They're patchy, but the highs are stratospheric.

It gets more complicated after that...

alan nagsworth

Propaganda is not patchy. It's consistently brilliant. Arguably, so is Indiscreet, although that album isn't totally for me so I can only stomach about half of it personally.

It does have their best album cover though.