Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:33:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Binding Of Isaac (Afterbirth Plus)

Started by Shay Chaise, March 25, 2017, 02:19:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shay Chaise

And as I'm sure you're aware, you unlock different new items for taking down bosses with different characters. You're into the meat of it now.

robotam

New update (at least on the American version) on the Switch version of Isaac today. New unlockable items and if you kill Lokii as an end of floor boss you'll actually unlock Loki's horns, so it's now actually possible to unlock challenge 11 and fully complete the game.

With the Lost I only need to defeat Mega Satan, I suppose the tactic is to try to open the door with Dad's key or "Get Out of Jail Free" card. With the Lost you really need those devil deals.

Still haven't got the shopkeeper. I've donated about 950 coins to the greed machine but can't be bothered playing much more greed mode.

Kelvin

I've got both the Polaroid and negative now. Finally ready to take on the Dark Room and The Chest.

It's funny how this game has such weird troughs and jumps in difficulty. When you start the game, it seems incredibly hard for quite a while, then it gets easy, then it gets hard, then it gets super easy for quite a while, then it (apparently) gets incredibly hard again. I'm not sure if that's the point, or just slightly unbalanced game design, but whatever; I'm loving the game generally these days.

My friend's got really into it, too, as a result of playing it co-op with me, and we had an insanely over-powered run the other day that ended in disaster, screams and laughter.

wooders1978

Quote from: robotam on September 30, 2017, 06:26:33 PM
New update (at least on the American version) on the Switch version of Isaac today. New unlockable items and if you kill Lokii as an end of floor boss you'll actually unlock Loki's horns, so it's now actually possible to unlock challenge 11 and fully complete the game.

With the Lost I only need to defeat Mega Satan, I suppose the tactic is to try to open the door with Dad's key or "Get Out of Jail Free" card. With the Lost you really need those devil deals.

Still haven't got the shopkeeper. I've donated about 950 coins to the greed machine but can't be bothered playing much more greed mode.

The character you get for depositing 999 coins isn't really worth the effort, however, as you're so close, you surely have to go for it???

Kelvin

Fucked it up, didn't I? Took on my first ever victory lap, and absolutely whizzed through it. Tried a second victory lap. Didn't realise you can only keep doing them if you enter Sheol, instead of the heaven route. Finished it with amazing stats and unlocked fuck all. 

Shay Chaise

I had an insane Blue Baby run the other day, did the same thing. Absolutely frigged it. I was genuine disappointed for the afternoon, and I still feel quite shit when I think about it. I died at Isaac before on another really solid run as well, forty minutes wasted.

Shay Chaise

All I do these days is waste my time when I'm playing this, I've lost my drive.  Constant fifty minute runs to the Lamb and stuff, going for victory laps to cheese my remaining unlocks and die somewhere in the dark room to some random teleporting cunt boss. If I could make the victory lap then I'd fucking paste everything but I've just lost focus since I unlocked Godhead, I don't really care enough now, which is a shitter. Can't see me ever doing the Keeper unlocks. In a way I'm glad, I must have put nearly three hundred hours into this and I have a good fifty other games to play. I've not completed one game on the Switch besides Zelda, and I only did half the temples, max. At least I'm playing other stuff since I lost a bit of motivation with Isaac.

How you getting on Kelvin?

Kelvin

Quote from: Shay Chaise on October 11, 2017, 08:56:53 PM
How you getting on Kelvin?

Killed the lamb and blue baby several times. Not managed mega satan yet. Done quite a lot of challenges. Completed greed mode a couple of times. 800 coins in normal shop machine.

I really need to complete it with different characters now, but I only seem to reach the end with the same one.

kittens

do you get anything for victory laps? seemed when i got on a mad run and did live 3 or so i didn't get a scrap

Kelvin

Quote from: kittens on October 12, 2017, 01:37:40 PM
do you get anything for victory laps? seemed when i got on a mad run and did live 3 or so i didn't get a scrap

Let me tell you a story.

About 30 seconds ago, I was half way through my third victory lap, seemingly unstoppable; a killing machine. I had been playing for several hours. I was decked out with soul hearts.

I walked into a secret room. My eye was itching, so I scratched it. When I looked back at my Switch's screen, my character was dead. Instantly.

I don't even know what killed me.

I had earned a single stick of butter for 3 hours work.

Kelvin

I've killed Mega Satan a couple of times now, as well as Hush and, today, Delirium. Unlocked the final, very sad, ending.  What did you guys do once you reached that point? Are there other big things to aim for, or is it just about mopping up the various achievements with all the characters now?

Shay Chaise

First of all, well done! There's stuff to unlock which affects starting items for a number of characters, such as starting with the D6 for Isaac, which makes him really really good fun. There's The Lost and The Keeper to unlock if you haven't already. The Lost in particular is a hell of a lot of fun because of freedom devil deals. There's lots to unlock via Greed Mode. But basically, yeah, unlocks and titles such as Platinum God now

kittens

only just realised the endings probably have narration. always play with the sound off. is there a story to the game is there

Kelvin

Quote from: kittens on October 19, 2017, 08:38:03 PM
only just realised the endings probably have narration. always play with the sound off. is there a story to the game is there
Only one ending has narration. The first, I think. The rest are dialogue-free.

wooders1978

I have just upgraded to afterbirth+ on PS4 - I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew here...

Kelvin

Quote from: wooders1978 on November 01, 2017, 07:48:46 PM
I have just upgraded to afterbirth+ on PS4 - I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew here...

In what sense? Difficulty or sheer amount of stuff to do?

wooders1978

The challenge seems to be way up - I am certain enemies are quicker and more accurate, added to that there's more of them
That said I am in the swing of things now - however I am slightly disappointed with the new items in the pool - bang average compared to the afterbirth update in my opinion
Also, I seem to get a lot of lunch/breakfast rewards after beating a boss not sure if that's just a blip but it's getting a bit frustrating to d6 lunch into breakfast and vice verse

falafel

Given that this game doesn't 'end', really, and it's a timesink: do you ever feel dirty after playing it? Like you've wasted your time? Or do you feel sated and comfortable that this was a good use of your time?

ie is it WoW compulsive (bad) or Skyrim compulsive (goodish)?

Kelvin

Quote from: falafel on November 09, 2017, 04:43:39 PM
Given that this game doesn't 'end', really, and it's a timesink: do you ever feel dirty after playing it? Like you've wasted your time? Or do you feel sated and comfortable that this was a good use of your time?

No, it's definitely Skyrim compulsive. You do keep unlocking stuff and making progress. You're not just trying to maintain your current situation. 

Shay Chaise

Quote from: falafel on November 09, 2017, 04:43:39 PM

Considering how much of a colossal time sink it is, and I've put nearly 300 hours in since it released on Switch, I'm astonished at how little shame I have and how enjoyable I've found it all throughout. It became kind of all-consuming at some points but I've had some extraordinary peaks with it, both in terms of crazy RNG runs and moments where my own skill surpassed what I would have thought I could achieve in the game, mad bullet hell dodging and stuff. It's an absolute triumph of a game, an outstanding example of pure mechanical joy and my actual game of the year, undeniably, except it's about six years old.

It's nowhere near as good as BotW or Odyssey by any objective measure and didn't given me anything like the sense of joy or wonder but it's the game I've felt most compelled to play above any other, and enjoyed every second of the 300 hours. I basically had a to wean myself off it several times so as not to abandon various aspects of my life.

Shay Chaise

This is about twenty six quid on the South African eshop.

falafel

Will buy post-Zelda i think. Trying to get out of the habit of dipping between games.

Shay Chaise

I wish I were that sensible. I think I'm gonna ease off with the Switch for a while though, wait for the next big game.

Edit: Which is Rocket League on Tuesday.

buntyman

The Binding of Isaac Repentance DLC has finally been released for switch. After looking forward to it for ages I've now got quite comfortable with the version I have now and am worried it might permanently change it for the worse by making it too hard or adding in too many unfamiliar items all at once. Has anyone else got it? Can you revert to playing just the afterbirth version once you've bought the new dlc?

madhair60

Quote from: buntyman on November 25, 2021, 09:07:02 AMThe Binding of Isaac Repentance DLC has finally been released for switch. After looking forward to it for ages I've now got quite comfortable with the version I have now and am worried it might permanently change it for the worse by making it too hard or adding in too many unfamiliar items all at once. Has anyone else got it? Can you revert to playing just the afterbirth version once you've bought the new dlc?

In my personal opinion it makes the game good again. I played since the beginning and I hated how bloated the DLC made the game. Repentance rebalances it extensively and beautifully and actively fixes The Binding of Isaac. Just my two pence

wooders1978

Quote from: buntyman on November 25, 2021, 09:07:02 AMThe Binding of Isaac Repentance DLC has finally been released for switch. After looking forward to it for ages I've now got quite comfortable with the version I have now and am worried it might permanently change it for the worse by making it too hard or adding in too many unfamiliar items all at once. Has anyone else got it? Can you revert to playing just the afterbirth version once you've bought the new dlc?

Opposed to madhair I think they've made a bit of a mess of it "difficulty" has been ramped up, but actually is just increased tediousness

Bad: Devil deals ruined, shops ruined, increase in crap items means it's hard to get a good run started
Good: it is a renewed experience which after the last dlc it definitely needed, enemies move a bit different etc, so established strategy techniques are more or less out the window - which freshens it up but it wasn't long before the new patterns were clear imo

Far as I can see no new mega bosses like greed etc either

madhair60

That fascinates me because I felt the total opposite. Fucking weird. Not actually arguing, but in an RNG game like this it's entirely possible I've just been lucky! But for me, Repentance reinvigorated my favourite game of all time, which Afterbirth+ quite literally ruined. Different strokes

Quote from: wooders1978 on November 25, 2021, 06:33:54 PMFar as I can see no new mega bosses like greed etc either

There are new mega bosses

wooders1978

Quote from: madhair60 on November 25, 2021, 07:23:35 PMThat fascinates me because I felt the total opposite. Fucking weird. Not actually arguing, but in an RNG game like this it's entirely possible I've just been lucky! But for me, Repentance reinvigorated my favourite game of all time, which Afterbirth+ quite literally ruined. Different strokes

There are new mega bosses

Are there now?

Ok will retry after Christmas - I'm finding it tough to get a fun run together which has spoilt it for me

Rev+

I really should be arsed about this but it's difficult to be excited about it, isn't it?

The last expansion was one too far.  Just...  just leave it be.