Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:50:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Joe Pera Talks With You

Started by Twed, May 05, 2019, 08:16:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twed

There was an older thread about Joe Pera that discussed this series, but I think it deserves its own thread and a refresher.

This is beautiful stuff. Not in terms of character, but in terms of fleshing out a personality this is the US equivalent to Alan Partridge, IMO. Every episode is essentially "Basic Alan", and it's all absolutely lovely. Episodes are short so the time investment isn't too large.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgX0RTYuGEs

I can hook you up with the episodes if you want to watch it.

PlanktonSideburns

Found this to be totally unique and moving

This, nirvana the band the show and Jenny freidmans soft focus thing are what I lob at people who complain of no good new comedy

The pumpkin episode in particular is just brilliant

chveik

Quote from: Twed on May 05, 2019, 08:16:54 PM

yes please, that'd be great

Twed

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on May 05, 2019, 08:20:34 PM

The pumpkin episode in particular is just brilliant
The Who sent me over the edge, just amazing.

fucking ponderous

If you're into the Armando Iannucci Shows, I'd say definitely watch this. It's got a similar structure and similar surreal existential vibe, although much much less cynical. It will (probably) make you feel happy about life. And it's not a forced happiness. It's all very unassuming.

The church announcements episode was easily one of my favorite things from last year. "Joe Pera" is an extremely lovable character, to the point where I got actively worried about him when (SPOILERS I GUESS) he falls out with the girl he's interested in late in the series and his musical about rats gets butchered.

Blumf

this is the US equivalent to Alan Partridge,

I wouldn't say that. Alan is a failure of a person wrapped up in his own ego, whereas Joe is a decent human being with a love of the world around him. A closer UK character would be John Shuttleworth, different, but a better match than Partridge.

Looks like they're sorting out the next season:

https://eu.jsonline.com/story/entertainment/2019/05/02/joe-pera-talks-you-shooting-second-season-milwaukee-and-u-p/3654202002/
QuoteIf you're a Wisconsinite who has ever wanted to make an appearance on a comedy show, this is your chance.

The Adult Swim show "Joe Pera Talks With You" is looking for extras in Milwaukee.

Really looking forwards to that.

DrAlanStatham

There was an older thread about Joe Pera that discussed this series, but I think it deserves its own thread and a refresher.

This is beautiful stuff. Not in terms of character, but in terms of fleshing out a personality this is the US equivalent to Alan Partridge, IMO. Every episode is essentially "Basic Alan", and it's all absolutely lovely. Episodes are short so the time investment isn't too large.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgX0RTYuGEs

Me too, please.

Twed

Quote from: Blumf on May 06, 2019, 11:57:34 AM
I wouldn't say that. Alan is a failure of a person wrapped up in his own ego, whereas Joe is a decent human being with a love of the world around him.
As I said,

Not in terms of character, but in terms of fleshing out a personality

Blumf

Quote from: Twed on May 08, 2019, 08:21:59 PM
As I said,

True, true...

We must draw a line under this and move on.

(soz)

Twed

Blumf

I'll say! It's one rule for high-ranking politicians, and another of bored forum posters.

Twed

I like Blumf (even if your avatar looks younger and younger each year to me, which charts my own ageing)

Zetetic

Grateful that you've highlighted this.

Twed

Files available if you need them.

Twed

The Baba O'Reilly episode is my Baba O'Reilly. I've been showing it to everyone.

jake thunder

Bit of a bump, but this show has changed my life. That's all.

Enrico Palazzo

I loved his wee series with Conner O'Malley. Pera's pretty weak in these but O'Malley is VERY funny - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQRAbfnKQkM

kyema

Thanks for linking that. Conner O'Malley's scumbag character is great.

willy crossit

this is great. rationing myself one ep a night before bed as a treat. just had baba o reilly

brat-sampson

Season 2 announced!

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2AHuGKJUF8/

14 new eps, coming this holiday season.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Twed on May 10, 2019, 02:31:19 AM
The Baba O'Reilly episode is my Baba O'Reilly. I've been showing it to everyone.

I've seen Joe Pera's stand-up before, but I hadn't got round to the show. Just saw this episode and thought it was so lovely.

up_the_hampipe

This character has been developed and played so well that it almost breaks my heart how sweet he is. I get anxious watching it, as I don't want anything bad to happen to him, or anyone to be less than kind to him.

bobloblaw

many thanks to Twed for starting this thread and others for further recommends.

Am halfway through and just when i thought the pumpkin episode couldn't be topped, along comes the masterful sleep one with its delicious turns of phrase ("wasting kinetic energy").

The woozy music under a near-monologue put me in mind of a Bizarro world Blue Jam where the whimsy remains but the 'edge' is replaced by a soothing loveliness.

I also get a real feeling of David Lynch's folksier side. I hope someone has pointed him towards it.

Tony Tarko

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on September 08, 2019, 01:33:50 AM
This character has been developed and played so well that it almost breaks my heart how sweet he is. I get anxious watching it, as I don't want anything bad to happen to him, or anyone to be less than kind to him.

I've never cringed because I find a character so likeable. I can't handle him, I wanna screw my face up. The church announcements episode made my toes curl. Totally new viewing experience. Now I know how little girls with puppies feel.

PlanktonSideburns

fuck this shows good. just rewatched the cant go to sleep episode, and it just does it for me, makes me feel moved

Retinend

Is this the Joe Pera thread?

Hang your heads.

(jk really liked reading all the fellow-love for this show and character above; but still, it's a little too little too late)

Amazing amazing show: s01e06 (The Who) in particular is more than just funny - it's life-affirming. Until that episode I hadn't really been watching it, and I went back and watched the previous 5 and it blew my mind how good it all was.

I agree that the character is up there with Partridge in terms of character depth. And I love how it's Canadian.

I have way more to say but just wanted to get a post in on the first page.

Small Man Big Horse

This was the season 1 thread, but there was a much longer season 2 one here: https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,76202.0.html - and that also includes the recent Quarantine special.

Retinend

Sweet! Look forward to reading that one.