Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:28:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The RedLetterMedia thread

Started by AliasTheCat, October 24, 2019, 10:21:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Phil_A on October 25, 2019, 11:07:03 AM

I love their videoa but I really wish their hardcore fanbase could fucking do one, those witless dullards that constantly post the same unfunny memes under every single youtube video. I get the distinct impression they must loathe the fact that these morons are their bread and butter

To be fair, all online fanbases, even for good things, are like this.

greenman

Never cared too much for the prequel review videos, I mean they weren't wrong but felt like a preview of Stuckmans glorification of basic movie making formulas and a bit of quite repetive edgelording.

Since then they've become quite a lot funnier and generally stick to what the love, I'm waiting for some studio to start using their commentary on something like Gremlins for DVD's or streaming.

oy vey

It's great to see a dedicated thread. I know they've been mentioned a few times but their catalogue and output is a cut above the other movie-related youtubers (Cinemassacre, Chris Stuckmann, etc.).

Half in the Bag is pretty solid, even if I don't agree with some of the reviews. Rich's laugh is great, but its volume means having to constantly adjust the levels while at work - makes BOTW a chore without headphones. Don't get me wrong, I love BOTW to bits.

My favourite Rich bit is 11.22 into the Blade Runner 2049 review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1Gqjjq1nic

Again I don't agree with much of that review but I enjoy them tearing Ridley Scott a new a-hole for the Deckard is a replicant horseshit.

I also enjoy Mike's constant shoehorning in Trek references, but it might trigger you if you're new to RTM and hate Trek.

Blumf

I need that Christmas with Dennis vid.

QDRPHNC

If memory serves, Tim Heidecker was in an early Half in the Bag. And yesterday I was laughing at man milk.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: QDRPHNC on October 25, 2019, 08:42:14 PM
If memory serves, Tim Heidecker was in an early Half in the Bag.

Yeah, a really early one, when they were still doing the Plinkett storyline thing.

AliasTheCat

Quote from: Blumf on October 25, 2019, 08:21:24 PM
I need that Christmas with Dennis vid.

Fuck that's amazing, particularly the synthesized beats over phantom Rudolph. Also, when he talks to the camera I got some real Dean Tavalouris vibes.

https://youtu.be/3NTaoheLMvM?t=1510

I had tears down my face at how they all reacted at the ending of Blood Debts when he blows the guy up to pieces with a pistol bazooka, even Mike who normally chuckles at best burst out laughing

https://youtu.be/fgbPUHfBJA0?t=1846

Also the whole Death Wish 3 review and more specifically the bit with Bronson shooting a bazooka from 5 feet away

I think its at its funniest when they watch action films that take themselves serious rather than the infomercial and horror ones

Deanjam

This is probably my favourite moment from them. Red Letter Media Watches the Ending of Resident Evil: Afterlife

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPUPaxgIo98

JamesTC

Mike: They might as well pull their eyelids back with scotch tape like Rich wanted to do with his halloween costume
Rich: What the fuck, Mike?

Piggyoioi

I like RLM shit. i've watched a couple of mad hairs videos and i cant figure where he considers himself superior to these guys? you all nerds yeah?

madhair60

Quote from: QDRPHNC on October 25, 2019, 12:28:11 PMYou should watch one.

Nah, I'm alright. I'm an outlier in that I think the casting of women and minorities doesn't necessarily constitute "pandering". That's just my personal opinion though

Edit: I'm being a twat so I'll leave it, cheers. They rub me entirely the wrong way in everything I've seen from them. If there's a particular video that'll help me "get it" by all means drop a link

Old Nehamkin

Piggyoioi

Quote from: madhair60 on October 28, 2019, 09:35:49 AM
Nah, I'm alright. I'm an outlier in that I think the casting of women and minorities doesn't necessarily constitute "pandering". That's just my personal opinion though

god forbid a corporation would do anything so cynical.

QDRPHNC

They are sensitive to what they perceive as studio pandering, so I understand how you could come away with that impression. My perception though, is that they have no problem with women or minorities, they have a problem with women or minorities being cynically used by studios. In all my years watching RLM, I've never seen them have a problem with casting in the same way "nerd culture" can tend to. It's a fine line to walk, but to me it's clear they're on the right side of this one. Their Shazam review was a good insight into their position on comic book movies in general.

Also, they're not really nerds, as such. They got famous for their Star Wars reviews, but they're into everything. Someone has already mentioned, but one of their best Half in the Bag reviews is Ed Wood. They also sometimes highlight really interesting small Netflix movies and such that might pass people by.

If you want to give them a go, I would really, really recommend the three Best of the World Spotlight episodes I linked to earlier. They're brilliant.

Quote from: QDRPHNC on October 24, 2019, 05:47:16 PM
The Best of the Worst Spotlight episodes are generally fantastic, especially The Last Vampire on Earth, Partners and Lycan Colony.

Also (not strictly directed at you, madhair), I never really got their Nerd Crew videos, it seemed insanely broad and campy, which isn't what I watch RLM for. Then I saw the Nerd Crew vs. Collider videos someone put together. Fuck me. I had no idea this kind of shit was out there.

The Nerd Crew break down the Solo teaser.
"IT'S THE KESSEL RUN IT'S FUCKING KESSEL RUN THEY PULLED IT OFF THEY FUCKIN PULLED IT OFF"

Someone else has mentioned it, but the bit in the video about Darth Vader's suit where they break down at the Emperor Palpatine Surgical Reconstruction Centre is something else. What I love about this is video is that they're don't even need to do anything to satirize it, just hearing it read out loud confirms the absurdity of it.

One other bit I want to throw in here is the beginning of the Half in the Bag review of Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, where they take the piss out of badly-produced, cheap, superficial Youtube reviews. "Uh... it had some good action sequences... fighting dino action... if you're into movies with dino action there's plenty of that..."

AAAAH the new Halloween BOTW just went up! Here's a throwback to them getting so pissed they had to start again.

idunnosomename

here's the funniest thing mike has ever done that you might never have seen

https://youtu.be/vXdUvHUfYcQ?t=1733

WHAT ARE THESE, SOOPA BOTTLES??!

SOOPA BOTTLES

QDRPHNC

I hadn't seen that!

I just remembered, the thing that got me into RLM was their short Prometheus Questions video.

Anyone seen Space Cop? Biggest laugh in that was the description of Jay written on a whiteboard in the background of one scene: "may be child in adult beard costume."

madhair60

Seems like I may have the wrong end of the stick here so I'll give these lads a look tonite.

QDRPHNC

Glad to hear, hope you enjoy them!

Although you got me thinking about how it's possible to get the wrong end of the stick about something. My girlfriend told me that if this was the first thing of theirs she'd seen, she wouldn't have watched them again. On the other hand, I love it because we've all been there - laughing uncontrollably at something we know we really shouldn't be laughing at.

madhair60

Looking above, I think I saw a Nerd Crew thing and somehow believed it sincere

idunnosomename

i must say I miss their plinkett skits. It has been literally years since Rich Evans has dressed up as Mr Plinkett. i know the gay wedding "arc" got old but i love their shit over-dramatic acting

Quote from: madhair60 on October 28, 2019, 01:48:48 PM
Looking above, I think I saw a Nerd Crew thing and somehow believed it sincere
very cool

Edit: I'm being a twat so I'll leave it, cheers. They rub me entirely the wrong way in everything I've seen from them. If there's a particular video that'll help me "get it" by all means drop a link

I'm never particularly excited when they occasionally but rarely veer into political stuff, though having watched virtually all of their videos I can say that the problem is not that they are anti-SJW types but rather that they try to position themselves as cynically above the fray. The only video I can think of that possibly flipped into Bad territory was the one where they spent 60% of it talking about a Brie Larson press conference, because it just seemed far disproportionate. (And also some of the Plinkett character stuff, but as mentioned previously I think those Star Wars videos are tedious and not at all reflective of everything they do.)

So in short, I don't think they are your typical anti-SJW e-nerds. Even when they had a dope like Max Landis on, they openly mock him in other videos and have made it clear that they will shoot a video with more or less any "celebrity" who asks.

colacentral

They say things like "because... reasons... I guess?"

Shite.

Goldentony

why does the one with a canister head do that fucking stupid voice every video where they explain the plot and goes AAAWOOWAHHH BLERG THE MAN DRIVES THE HLICOPTER AND THE BLAH BLAH BUY THE MERCHANDISE for the intro instead of doing something he enjoys

Goldentony

Quote from: colacentral on October 28, 2019, 06:01:06 PM
They say things like "because... reasons... I guess?"

Shite.

yeah this is what I was getting at, why do they talk like they've planned their improv

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on October 28, 2019, 05:00:41 PM
I'm never particularly excited when they occasionally but rarely veer into political stuff, though having watched virtually all of their videos I can say that the problem is not that they are anti-SJW types but rather that they try to position themselves as cynically above the fray. The only video I can think of that possibly flipped into Bad territory was the one where they spent 60% of it talking about a Brie Larson press conference, because it just seemed far disproportionate. (And also some of the Plinkett character stuff, but as mentioned previously I think those Star Wars videos are tedious and not at all reflective of everything they do.)
Good point. I mean, the whole publicity thing around "Captain Marvel" was shite but it's not like Brie Larson is uniquely awful. That's the only time, in years and hundreds of videos, where I've really disagreed with anything they've done though.

Re: the comment about them not being nerds, I think that's kinda important. Mike loves Star Trek more than I've ever loved anything, but doesn't ever talk about other shows, and their interest in Star Wars is definitely less than you'd assume from the people who became famous ripping the prequels a new arsehole. Rich is a big gamer but also loves baseball (if his shirts and hats are to be believed) but I'm not sure either of the other two have ever mentioned playing video games. Maybe one of the main three guys reads comics regularly?

When they did "Space Mutiny", they did some jokes that were very similar to ones "Mystery Science Theater 3000" did. When called out on it, they claimed to have never watched a single episode of MST3K, which would be almost unthinkable for nerds of their vintage (they're mid 30s - early 40s, I guess). I'd guess they're three film obsessives who've been friends since school.

I think they're great and often genuinely insightful about things. And I hate the professional Youtube film critic people.