Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:31:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Iain Lee Patreon Podcasts

Started by Satchmo Distel, June 01, 2020, 10:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
He's starting various tiers. His $5 one is just him ringing Americans on Skype at midnight on a Saturday. Zero preparation and thus feels like a rip-off at this point.

Anyone here doing other tiers?

DrGreggles

I already have 8 Patreon subs, so I don't think I can justify another one. But I do like Lee's radio stuff.

Danger Man

If there's a $1,000/month 'I promise I'll fuck off and you'll never hear from me again' then I'm in.

Hand Solo

Quote from: Danger Man on June 01, 2020, 11:55:09 AM
If there's a $1,000/month 'I promise I'll fuck off and you'll never hear from me again' then I'm in.

You could hire a hitman for less than that, plus you get the added frisson of meeting in a car in an underground carpark. And when they ask why you want the person 'whacked', you only need to turn on the radio for a few seconds before they ask you to turn it off and offer you a discount.

non capisco

Top tier he comes round your house with Mackenzie Crook and sings 'My Cock's Bigger Than Yours'.

Ham Bap

His contract not renewed by TalkRadio.
He's spoken about that for a while, that his contract was up.

A bit sad to hear it. I really liked his show.

https://twitter.com/iainlee/status/1267765827941683200?s=21

Danger Man

Quote from: non capisco on June 02, 2020, 09:13:34 AM
Top tier he comes round your house with Mackenzie Crook and sings 'My Cock's Bigger Than Yours'.

Quote$250
per month

- I will come to your house and do a live 40 minute or thereabouts show. You have to live in the UK and if you're over 75 miles away we split the petrol? Does that sound fair?

Might cost a lot more to get Mackenzie Crook, though

Big Mclargehuge

Quote from: Ham Bap on June 02, 2020, 11:37:16 AM

gutted is an understatement. it had been up and down over the last 12 months (Though I think that was in part because the pair knew their contracts were up this year) even the bad shows were entertaining...a real loss really...

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Ham Bap on June 02, 2020, 11:37:16 AM

That's a pity because he's a decent broadcaster and he clearly loves doing it but I haven't properly listened to his Late Night Show for well over two years. I used to ring in on occasion and contribute to the show but after he was on I'm A Celebrity... the show seemed to turn into an emotional support show which is fine if you're into that kind of thing, but it reminded me too much of a job I once did and it all got a bit depressing. I think his divorce was happening around the same time which is sad for anyone going through that kind of thing (apart from Graham Linehan, of course) but it did affect the show.

I've still occasionally taken a glance at the TalkRADIO shows available on his website, scanned through  looking for key words ("argue" is a good one) and listen to bits of a show, but that's really about it.

I wish him the best and really hope he gets a slot on another station because, let's face it, he's not going to be able to survive on Patreon subs and Twitch streams.

thr0b

I'm disappointed, as up until around January this year I'd barely missed a show. But I kind of dropped the habit when I was in a shitty mood myself, and Iain went on air complaining that he didn't want to be there. Wasn't what I needed, and it kind of depressed me a bit too much that night. So I stopped listening, and only dived in occasionally after. A shame, as I kept intending to get back in the habit.

Ham Bap

Agree with what everyone said. A great show when it was a good night.
And sometimes depressing.

Sometimes a great listen but I turned it off around 11:30pm last night when he was going on about not wanting to do radio anymore and wants to be a therapist instead.
Possibly pre-empting the fact that he was going to get let go as they wouldn%u2019t give him an answer for a good while.
The writing probably on the wall for a while especially when he was suspended before Christmas.

But gutted. I religiously tuned in at 10pm every night.

It was a weird show on the station which will no doubt install a right wing shock jock during the same timeframe now.

thr0b

I wouldn't mind betting on Christo Foufas getting the slot. He's been regular cover when Kath hasn't been there. Definitely not right-wing, and a decent presenter.

I got the impression that he was talking himself out of the job. Why would you give a new contract to someone who no longer wanted to work for you?

Does Limmy make enough money off Patreon that he could live on without any other income? That seems to be Lee's role model, but he's too needy to be as good as Limmy. He had pissed off a lot of his Twitch followers over the David Babcock business, which they both handled badly.

thr0b

Especially as Babcock was never funny. Wouldn't have been anywhere without Iain Lee's exposure, and arguably still isn't.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: thr0b on June 02, 2020, 06:17:53 PM
Especially as Babcock was never funny. Wouldn't have been anywhere without Iain Lee's exposure, and arguably still isn't.

Glad to see someone else agrees. I never found Babcock funny. Lazy, unoriginal character stuff. I'm intrigued, though - What was the "Babcock business" on Twitch?

thr0b

As far as I can tell, Babcock decided to do a stream because Iain wasn't going to do one that night. Later Iain changed his mind and did a stream. Apparently there were words had about one nicking the other's viewers or something. Storm in an Internet tea cup.

Babcock was NEVER funny. Not once.

Considering Alex Lowe and Bob Mortimer were also semi-regular callers, it just made the Babcock stuff look even poorer.

Operty1

Barry from Watford also funny. The Babcock stuff was very one note and seemed to be on every night, he was a bit tiresome, especially the Chuckwinkle stuff.

Ham Bap

I was never sure if Babcock was trying to be so shite that it would be funny, or if he was genuinely trying to be funny.
Neither worked anyway.

Bit shite all this anyway.
Will have to find some new podcasts to fill the void.

Rev+

It's a bit of an odd move from TalkRadio really, unless they've started to suspect he's too wobbly to be reliable.  He was everything they should want in that timeslot, and now there's the uncertainty of training an audience to like someone new.

thr0b

Nah. They want a uniform schedule of news-based shows.

I suspect Howard Hughes' Sunday show won't be around much longer. Though arguably it's the kind of magazine-style content that could transfer to Times Radio.

Mango Chimes

Why isn't he streaming now? I mean right now: 10pm to 1am? He's got an audience who would follow him, who currently will be looking for somewhere to go. He could set up the radio show as a stream with little effort and next to no difference seeing as he's already broadcasting from home.

I understand he's probably not feeling into it, and ambivalent about the whole business. But if he's doing Patreon he's promising people content in a much more difficult fashion, so he may as well.

Big Mclargehuge

Quote from: Mango Chimes on June 04, 2020, 12:32:54 AM
Why isn't he streaming now? I mean right now: 10pm to 1am? He's got an audience who would follow him, who currently will be looking for somewhere to go. He could set up the radio show as a stream with little effort and next to no difference seeing as he's already broadcasting from home.

I understand he's probably not feeling into it, and ambivalent about the whole business. But if he's doing Patreon he's promising people content in a much more difficult fashion, so he may as well.

For the last few months he's been on and off questioning whether he even wants to do radio anymore. most recently he's mentioned a few times packing it all in to go back into education. So my guess is; like anyone who gets made redundent suddenly, he's probably just not feeling into getting something up and running and keeping the momentum going. probably ampliphied that he was having a hell of a lot stress from white supremacists over the past couple of months.

He did say he was considering hosting an Adhoc version of the 10-1 show on twitch if he did get fired. but my guess is he's going to take the next week or so away to warm down and get a plan in place, then some time next week streams as normal...

He's just tweeted that he will probably need a couple of weeks. I hope Kath bounces back quickly because she is a very talented producer.

He spoke about becoming a Psychotherapist, which takes a good few years.

typeforty

Quote from: Ham Bap on June 02, 2020, 08:52:43 PM
I was never sure if Babcock was trying to be so shite that it would be funny, or if he was genuinely trying to be funny.
Neither worked anyway.

I don't think the babcock-bashing is very fair. Not every call was great, but it was frequently at least chucklesome. And the Skype-in show he's now doing on Saturday nights has had some really funny stuff.

Lee has suspended his patreon and is going to rely on Twitch for a bit.

thr0b

Not quite. He's hinting there is another reason.

" I've decided to pause my Patreon account. Thank you to everyone who signed up to it. I'll explain why when I can but The Iain Lee Phone-In Show is still happening and there will still be a podcast."