Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:00:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Old Doctor Who - Part 4

Started by Ambient Sheep, June 04, 2020, 11:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alberon

Maybe it wasn't just the character that was good at hypnotism?

jenna appleseed

^ that mustache is a bit wonky & for a moment there he looks like he's going to burst into tears.

pigamus

Right, sorry if you've talked about this before, but it was just recommended me on Amazon, and...

...I'm sorry to say I laughed. I mean I can see what they were trying to do but it looks like a blow-up doll. And when exactly did Ronnie O'Sullivan play TV's Dr Who?

Bingo Fury

It's truly awful, isn't it? Especially when you consider the limited edition blu-ray got this.

pigamus

I mean I don't like slagging artists off too much - I can't draw - but considering how stunningly beautiful Anneke Wills was, that's almost an insult. I bet she pissed herself laughing when she saw it.

daf

Series 6 blu-ray Steelbook up for pre-order (out mid August) £27.99 : Zoom  /  Zavvi  /  Amazon

Replies From View

I thought series 6 already had a steelbook release a while back.

Is it just to include the Chibnall logo?  Good grief.

daf

Think it was Series 5 that had a previous steelbook (ten years ago) - that chunky silver one.

The Capaldi steelbooks were gorgeous but so expensive - £45 or so - that's just taking the piss!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
* [should this go in the 'current' thread? I'm a bit confused what counts as New or Old Who these days!]

purlieu

Yes, there's no dedicated thread for Old New Who. I think because news and discussion about it is pretty sparse, this thread seems be an ok go-to. Don't think there are many in here who only like the classic series anyway.

That Anneke Wills picture is atrocious.

Deanjam

Guess this counts as old Who now.

Malcy

Quote from: Deanjam on June 29, 2020, 10:00:37 PM
Guess this counts as old Who now.

Was also in 2 classic series stories so defo counts.

Replies From View

Always lovely when a photo of someone who recently died shows them in hospital on their last legs.

Bingo Fury

"It's the same rain."

The terrible awesomeness of time travel in four understated words. Beat that, Chibbers.

Norton Canes

Hadn't clocked he was Ponti in Planet Of Evil. RIP.

George White

Remembering a line in the Knockoffs section of the most recent About Time chronicle. In passing it mentions "the US shows that were probably influenced by PBS showings in the 70s/80s". without saying what these were. Any guesses? Voyagers? The Amazing Captain Nemo? Trevor Eve in Shadowchasers?

What do we think Tat Wood is talking about?
Ones I can think of.
MacGyver - blame Terry Nation, to the extent there's an episode about June Chadwick inventing Dalek-esque security bots.
Star Trek - The Next Generation -
X-Men - the Animated Series - John Byrne has said that Days of Future Past was a subconscious liting from seeing Day of the Daleks on PBS. He's been less subtitle in his riffs on Who elsewhere - the Minds of Mantracora....

Norton Canes

R.I.P. Earl Cameron, the legendary actor who at 102 was also Doctor Who's oldest surviving performer. That accolade passes to Arnold Yarrow, Bellal in 'Death to the Daleks', who himself turned 100 in April.

Cameron in 'The Tenth Planet' - this was, apparently, the first time ever in any film or TV series around the world a black actor had portrayed an astronaut.

Deanjam

Was just talking about him with my dad. Had popped up on a couple of films on Talking Pictures recently; Emergency Call & Sapphire - both enjoyable.

George White

Quote from: Norton Canes on July 04, 2020, 06:02:40 PM
R.I.P. Earl Cameron, the legendary actor who at 102 was also Doctor Who's oldest surviving performer. That accolade passes to Arnold Yarrow, Bellal in 'Death to the Daleks', who himself turned 100 in April.

Cameron in 'The Tenth Planet' - this was, apparently, the first time ever in any film or TV series around the world a black actor had portrayed an astronaut.

TV yes, but Antonio Margheriti's Space Men cast the African-American actor Archie Savage as an astronaut, and there's an East German film, First Spaceship on Venus that has an African non-actor as one of the crew.

Norton Canes

You'd better get doctorwhonews.net to correct their news story!

Malcy

Managed to get the Faceless Ones on Blu Ray for £3 as I got a £10 Amazon voucher so finally got round to watching it last night.

Found the story enjoyable and it didn't seem too stretched out across the 6 episodes. The animation was fine although Troughton appears to have a massive top half of head at times. There's a couple of shots that look almost real and not animated at all.

The cliffhanger to episode 4 looks stunning animated. I'll be looking at parts of the story in the b&w version to see how it looks as well.

The inclusion of the Masters on the wanted board is a good thing about these animated ep's. They can add little details in without them being distracting. Noticed a few little Easter eggs dotted around.

Fairly light on extras even though it's a 3 disc release. Just the b&w option, 2 original ep's, 2 recons, a making of and a trailer I think.

Bad Ambassador

There's also a commentary, subtitle production notes and all the surviving clips.

Malcy

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on July 18, 2020, 11:34:46 AM
There's also a commentary, subtitle production notes and all the surviving clips.

I looked at putting production subtitles on but they weren't an option on the menu.

Bad Ambassador

It's listed on the back of the box. They're on the recon.

JamesTC

I'm pretty sure they are listed wrong. They are just descriptional subtitles for the recon and not actual production subtitles.

Bad Ambassador

Very sloppy of them to make that mistake.

Malcy

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on July 19, 2020, 10:36:46 AM
It's listed on the back of the box. They're on the recon.

Yeah saw that afterwards but thought you had meant they were on the animations. I usually have them on when I'm rewatching a story. Great insight.

Replies From View

Would be odd I think to put production subtitles on animations unless they were specifically about the production of the animation.

JamesTC

Just remembered that they don't include the production subtitles on the animations as they instead opt to include production details as a booklet.

The new Power Special Edition will include an uncut version of the original booklet as ROM content (it was apparently originally 40 odd pages of A4 before being cut down).

Malcy

Trailer for The Power Of The Daleks SE.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=fv36UuCkUtg&t

The while since I saw the story so don't know if it looks any better or not.