Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:24:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Pest of British Comedy

Started by Tony Yeboah, July 03, 2020, 12:54:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brundle-Fly

neveragain

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Tony Yeboah on July 03, 2020, 12:54:57 PM
Simon Caine has had some vague allegations against him.

That certainly explains his constant cringe-worthy white knighting on Facebook. Clearly trying to make up for something that he's guilty of himself. He comes across as a right cunt on social media.

Josef K

Turns out David Walliams has been messaging young girls and paying for their spa sessions (?).

He's pretty well liked by the centrist dads and there's no concrete evidence of pesting so I can't see him swimming the channel to escape justice anytime soon

Twit 2

Hope he gets cancelled so he can clear the bookshelves for actual children's authors.

neveragain

Would like to see a link for that story, couldn't find anything anywhere.

Twonty Gostelow

Some discussion on this yesterday in the book forum https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,81321.msg4256637.html#msg4256637

As far as I can see his behaviour is questionable or ill-advised but he hasn't done anything terrible on the evidence so far.

evilcommiedictator

I remember reading when Little Britain was big on a tour here in Australia, the story was Lucas would be happy to spend time with fans and be good to them, and so stuff after TV shows, and Walliams had a rep for going after every skirt he could see

neveragain

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on July 07, 2020, 11:50:42 PM
Some discussion on this yesterday in the book forum https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,81321.msg4256637.html#msg4256637

As far as I can see his behaviour is questionable or ill-advised but he hasn't done anything terrible on the evidence so far.

Yeah, it seems a bit dodgy (spending lots of time, money to keep a bunch of young girls happy) but - from the looks of it at least - there wasn't any sex. Does that make it any better? Well, yes I'd say. It could be argued this was grooming behaviour but, again, surely the important aspect is whether he did anything.
Thanks for the links.

BeardFaceMan

Was just watching Kiri Pritchard McLean's Hysterical Woman on Next Up, anyone know the name of the comedian that was beeped out when she's talking about horrible shit that happened to her?

notjosh

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on July 13, 2020, 05:55:14 PM
Was just watching Kiri Pritchard McLean's Hysterical Woman on Next Up, anyone know the name of the comedian that was beeped out when she's talking about horrible shit that happened to her?

I haven't seen that show, but the ex-boyfriend she talks about in Victim, Complex is this guy (it was public knowledge at the time).

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: notjosh on July 14, 2020, 08:48:34 AM
I haven't seen that show, but the ex-boyfriend she talks about in Victim, Complex is this guy (it was public knowledge at the time).

No, it wasn't that, it was when she was compering a gig and introduced the headliner, and the guy came on, got her name wrong while telling the crowd she was fat, then went on to say that he actually really likes fat women because they know how to take a punch.

Pink Gregory

Edit: she's just tweeted that she wants to be left out of it, so I'm deleting those links.

It is really depressing. It's very tricky as well because obviously it's very difficult for people to name names but at the same time that allows people to continue. It's definitely possible to work out who that is about though, and I will definitely avoid them.

kittens

who is it about. how do i work that out. is it someone i have heard of

BeardFaceMan

Yeah could someone PM me the name please? I'm not entirely happy about the thought of carrying on supporting this person if I already do.

Puce Moment

I feel exactly the same. It is definitely about the ethics of silence, and not cos I luvva bit of goss.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on July 15, 2020, 11:10:52 AM
Yeah could someone PM me the name please? I'm not entirely happy about the thought of carrying on supporting this person if I already do.

Ditto this.

BritishHobo

Feel weird asking but same, if it's going. It's a weird situation. I've been reading a lot of threads from female comedians about their experiences, and about the fact that there are lists of male comedians that they have to share, to let each other know not to be alone with them, and the like. Horrific. On the one hand, you want to stop supporting the men in question, but on the other hand you don't wanna be the guy butting in on these conversations about female confidants, going 'hey, send me the list!'

As has been said in this thread, it's horrible that these women have to face a second test of incredible bravery. First in withstanding this abuse, and second in having to risk everything if they want to name names. You see this with the Louis CK situation. For years and years you had female comedians in America opening up about what he did, and they took so much shit for it while he said nothing. Then he finally admitted to it, but there didn't really seem to be very much vindication for those women, no real recognition of the fact that they were telling the truth all along. Just the bare minimum downtime for CK before people welcomed him back.

Puce Moment

A comedian's wikipedia entry has been changed to include "emotional abuser"

Probably completely unrelated.

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: Puce Moment on July 15, 2020, 08:52:31 PM
A comedian's wikipedia entry has been changed to include "emotional abuser"

Probably completely unrelated.

I'm going to go out on a [EDIT] tricycle and say you could be right.

Brundle-Fly

There is also a lot of unhelpful tittle-tattle that is detrimental to this cause.

Twonty Gostelow

The fat women can take a punch line is vintage Jimmy Carr, isn't it? I know he's not the comedian in this case, but it was the sort of gag he used to do, together with rape and Down's Syndrome jokes, before he was seen to be a tax evader and decided to drop the deadpan, add a silly laugh and become more likeable. Bulletproof now.

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on July 16, 2020, 01:02:47 AM
The fat women can take a punch line is vintage Jimmy Carr, isn't it? I know he's not the comedian in this case, but it was the sort of gag he used to do, together with rape and Down's Syndrome jokes, before he was seen to be a tax evader and decided to drop the deadpan, add a silly laugh and become more likeable. Bulletproof now.

^ Just to add that I elided the word 'jokes' after 'rape' there before realising it can be misread. Look, the point is he's had a hair transplant.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on July 16, 2020, 01:02:47 AM

True, but he'd never say it about a specific person, and certainly not to their face after they've just introduced him onstage.

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on July 16, 2020, 02:05:48 AM
True, but he'd never say it about a specific person, and certainly not to their face after they've just introduced him onstage.

Agreed, that's mostly not Carr's style and this example is a lot worse, but it still comes from the same stagnant well of put-downs that assault easy targets who should have learned to take a joke by now.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on July 16, 2020, 02:18:08 AM
Agreed, that's mostly not Carr's style and this example is a lot worse, but it still comes from the same stagnant well of put-downs that assault easy targets who should have learned to take a joke by now.

How do you mean? That overweight women should learn to take a joke?

Twit 2

Can someone PM me the goss, please? Ta!