Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:43:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Taylor Swift

Started by hummingofevil, July 24, 2020, 12:48:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hummingofevil

She dropping new studio album within hours. Its definitely going to be a shift from last couple of records but very intrigued where she going with this. Bon Iver involved so i'm guessing a guitar based folk-country return but fascinated in how weird it might be.Could be shit, could be her Nebraska? My guess it's her Ease Down The Road and history will judge it as a classic.

Already doing the Swift thing of having fake names as collaborators so who knows. i for one will be on it and suspect im going to love it.

shagatha crustie

Isn't it basically her and all of the National except the singer, plus Bon Iver? I have a love-hate relationship with the Nash (and Swift to be fair) but this sounds like it could be interesting.

Listening now, chill and pleasant if kind of inoffensive. Seem she's angling for some alternative cred but it still sounds pretty 'pop.' Actually it gives me vibes of that Phoebe Bridgers everyone's going on about.

Dusty Substance

Listening right now. Seven tracks in and it's perfectly fine. Nothing outstanding but far from bad. It might be a grower.

The Guardian has given it five stars: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/jul/24/taylor-swift-folklore-review-bombastic-pop-makes-way-for-emotional-acuity

sevendaughters

gave it a spin. cynical.

hummingofevil

Quote from: Dusty Substance on July 24, 2020, 10:54:56 AM
Listening right now. Seven tracks in and it's perfectly fine. Nothing outstanding but far from bad. It might be a grower.

The Guardian has given it five stars: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/jul/24/taylor-swift-folklore-review-bombastic-pop-makes-way-for-emotional-acuity

Aye. It's fine. Interesting to here how her songs can be very different beasts depending on the production (quite a few of these could be Lover album tracks if given a makeover) but yeah. Nowt special. Suspect it's one for you types who like listening to words and stuff - I normally like the synths and stuff that make me pretend I am getting emotional. :)

non capisco

If it's as boring as the last couple of albums by The National I doubt I'll bother. Hard to believe they're the same band that made 'High Violet' these days.

Jerzy Bondov

I really like the Bon Iver one.

I think it's great so far. This slow, melancholic pop really suits her voice.

hummingofevil

Listen number 2 on phone in bath. When did Spotify start doing these little loop videos? I approve.

Really love the run of songs in the middle from August to Invisible String. Love the sound and simple message of This Is Me Trying. Needed a 20 min wall of guitar noise to end it though. :)

Think i'm going to do what I did with last couple of albums and make an 8 track short album as can't concentrate on 16 songs in one go.

idunnosomename

gone a bit Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism I see

hummingofevil

Quote from: idunnosomename on July 24, 2020, 07:42:29 PM
gone a bit Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism I see

I have spent the last half and hour trying to find a link between Taylor Swift and Hellhammer. I thought Max Martin would be an easy link but best I got was he was in a metal band in Sweden when he left school but after that can't find a link. There must be one.

Thumbs up to anyone who can do it in 3 degrees of seperation.

Deyv

Quote from: hummingofevil on July 24, 2020, 06:52:03 PM
Love the sound and simple message of This Is Me Trying.

Shatner cover?

rue the polywhirl

First impressions not good. Second impressions a little better. It's no 1989. It's not even Lover. More like Folksnore. Definitely more of a grower. Mid-tracks like august and this is me trying are supremely lush and elegant and have dimensions that previous taylor swift songs don't have but the bon iver track definitely is a black spot on the album the album does gets ridiculously samey with the same identical tracks for over an hour and a song like mad woman would have been much better if it had been turned into a massive chart banger. That's the story of the album really - improved artistic depth vs loss of hit-writing chops.

hummingofevil

This is why I love her: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVY8I46dkb0 Just a proper pop star doing what proper popstars should do.

hummingofevil

Quote from: rue the polywhirl on July 24, 2020, 10:30:40 PM
First impressions not good. Second impressions a little better. It's no 1989. It's not even Lover. More like Folksnore. Definitely more of a grower. Mid-tracks like august and this is me trying are supremely lush and elegant and have dimensions that previous taylor swift songs don't have but the bon iver track definitely is a black spot on the album the album does gets ridiculously samey with the same identical tracks for over an hour and a song like mad woman would have been much better if it had been turned into a massive chart banger. That's the story of the album really - improved artistic depth vs loss of hit-writing chops.

It'll grow on you.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

The Mollusk

The Guardian is absolute tripe for a number of reasons and for me personally their music journalism is way up the list

Seedsy

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on July 25, 2020, 07:25:30 AM
That's a terrible piece of writing. Doggerel.

Taylor Swift's album is nice enough.

Was always going to be 5 stars as Laura Snapes is an utter national obsessive. She is completely blinded by them and as such her critical professionalism goes out the window.I personally think her album reviews in general can be embarrassing.
I like tay tay, 1989 is as sleek a pop record you will ever hear, I also love the national.
I've not listened to this yet, but it was never going to be reviewed objectively

sevendaughters

don't want 'objective' reviewing but some credulity would be nice

magval

Quote from: hummingofevil on July 24, 2020, 09:35:52 PM
I have spent the last half and hour trying to find a link between Taylor Swift and Hellhammer. I thought Max Martin would be an easy link but best I got was he was in a metal band in Sweden when he left school but after that can't find a link. There must be one.

Thumbs up to anyone who can do it in 3 degrees of seperation.

Taylor Swift is involved in this story shared by Dave Grohl - https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/7416401/taylor-swift-dave-grohl-paul-mccartney-video

Tom Warrior played on Grohl's Probot album in 2004.

That's TWO degrees, mate.

hummingofevil

Quote from: magval on July 25, 2020, 02:43:06 PM
Taylor Swift is involved in this story shared by Dave Grohl - https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/7416401/taylor-swift-dave-grohl-paul-mccartney-video

Tom Warrior played on Grohl's Probot album in 2004.

That's TWO degrees, mate.

Thumb up.

magval

Dead pleased with that thanks.

holyzombiejesus

I can't stop listening to this album, especially Last Great American Dynasty and Betty. It's weird, it's got it's hooks in to me more than any record I can remember, to the extent that I'm going to have to put it away for a while as I can't get it out of my head. My wife mocked me at first, muttering stuff about mid-life crisis and making out I was weird for listening to it but now she's saying that the first thing that went through her head when she woke up this morning was "if I just showed up at your party...". I thought I'd put some other melodic stuff I like to try and get these out of my head but they just sounded shit. Much of the album is dreary but the 2 I've mentioned along with Cardigan and a couple of the others are so good. Looking forward to Evermore although I think it's about 3 months until it comes out on vinyl.

purlieu

I struggled with Evermore, only a couple of songs really grabbed me with it. Folklore is still really solid, though. 'This is Me Trying' and 'Mirrorball' are my two favourites.

sevendaughters

Was in Fopp having a good old ratch on Sunday when an awful record came on with basic-ass nu country form and irritatingly self-important lyrics about hating some ex who was rich and likes indie. Total pandering to the red states shit. As it turns out it was from the re-recorded Red by Taylor Swift. Honestly would say it was the worst thing I've heard since that Father John Misty song that goes on forever.

Sebastian Cobb

Some of her fans appear to have bought the vinyl without really knowing you can play records at different speeds.

Although a 4 plate album at 45 rpm is taking the piss really.

The Mollusk

Sebastian Cobb

In fairness when I posted that I didn't know that the re-release was 130 minutes long! (still not sure why it's pressed at 45 though).

22 sounds the same, maybe a bit more refined in some places, I'd really have to put both versions on a L/R split to tell the difference.