Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:04:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ricky Gervais's After Life series 3 [split topic]

Started by Cursus, July 23, 2020, 09:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

Apparently I'm blocked by @rickygervais on Twitter? I will no longer get to enjoy the once-every-year viewing of his delightful "jokes" about how good he is.

SavageHedgehog

Wait, Awards Shows get awarded at other Awards Shows?

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on July 29, 2020, 03:47:39 PM
Wait, Awards Shows get awarded at other Awards Shows?

There are categories for Variety Shows, which the Golden Globes fall under. These also include charity events and anything or live sketch comedy varieties.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on July 29, 2020, 03:56:32 PM
There are categories for Variety Shows, which the Golden Globes fall under. These also include charity events and anything or live sketch comedy varieties.
I was wondering why they don't just give the best awards show Emmy to last year's Emmys, every year.

BritishHobo

"I'm genuinely a bit scared that Ricky could be "suicided", if he keeps speaking the truth"

Absolute shit. His "truth-speaking" is empty, performative guff, half-heartedly repeating things braver people than him have pushed, not because he cares but just because he wants to be seen as an edgy outsider.

God I hope the guy they keep inviting back to host the Golden Globes doesn't get suicided for his dangerous opinions!

Cuellar

First they murder the opinion, then they murder the man

Noodle Lizard

I follow the r/conspiracy subreddit (guilty pleasure) and they were all going on about how Gervais was something of a whistleblower who was going to be bodied as well - for making jokes that any twat in a pub who reads the Daily Mail would be able to make.

If only they knew how Derek was more bizarre than any theory they might concoct - and that actually happened!

BritishHobo

Derek would actually make more sense if it turned out to be a way to send coded messages about the actions of the New World Order

Ferris

Quote from: BritishHobo on July 29, 2020, 07:55:46 PM
Derek would actually make more sense if it turned out to be a way to send coded messages about the actions of the New World Order

I pity the NWO for having to sit through the whole thing.

Annie Labuntur

I've just read an article from a few days ago where Ricky says that the dog Brandy (real name Anti) is likely to retire when Series 3 ends.
Quote from: Ricky GeniusBoth seasons when I was saying goodbye to the crew, when I have to say bye to Anti, that's when I well up because I'm thinking, 'She doesn't know why she's not going to see me for a year'.
Such a strange way to put it, and I don't think he was joking.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Annie Labuntur on August 13, 2020, 11:52:54 PM
I've just read an article from a few days ago where Ricky says that the dog Brandy (real name Anti) is likely to retire when Series 3 ends.Such a strange way to put it, and I don't think he was joking.

So we'll start to see Ricky's character watching endless clips of his dog on his ipad.

Annie Labuntur

He promises in the interview that
Spoiler alert
the dog won't die in series 3
[close]

Nothing wrong with him getting upset at the prospect of not seeing the dog for a year - it's that he thinks the dog is confused and upset at the thought of not seeing him for a year. I dunno, maybe it's just me.

jobotic

That the dog is capable of understanding that it won't see someone for a year. Or what a year is.

Does he really think that or is it just some words that he thinks makes him sound good?

Thomas

The dog is going to get suicided by Golden Globes.

mjwilson

Quote from: Annie Labuntur on August 14, 2020, 12:12:58 AM
He promises in the interview that
Spoiler alert
the dog won't die in series 3
[close]

Nothing wrong with him getting upset at the prospect of not seeing the dog for a year - it's that he thinks the dog is confused and upset at the thought of not seeing him for a year. I dunno, maybe it's just me.

I'm with you, it seems narcissistic even for Gervais.

BritishHobo

It's probably thinking "I hope that fat cunt Tony's finally done himself in".

Rolf Lundgren

If he's that upset, he can go and visit it. I mean, it's a dog.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

But that would ruin his heartwarming story about how much the dog must miss him.

frajer

Blue Jam

Another whine, but the doggy sound design in this really pisses me off. A dog whine dubbed on whenever Tony is feeling sad. Dogs don't whine that predictably, they're more likely to whine when they're bored, or they're nervous, or when you haven't given them any attention for five whole minutes. When a dog senses a human is feeling sad they'll just nuzzle you or sit on your feet and look after you a bit.

I love dogs. Ricky, stop getting dogs wrong.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Ricky presumably knows that, but he doesn't give a shit about verisimilitude. Were such a thing possible, he'd teach the dog to cry on cue.

I've actually got a lot of respect, bordering on envy, for that dog. He neither knows nor cares that he's in a terrible TV show; as far as he's concerned, all he has to do for a few weeks each year is turn up and mooch about with some bloke for a bit. He'll be treated well and his owners will be handsomely rewarded, thus allowing them to buy him lots of nice food and toys.

He's emerged from the whole ordeal with his dignity and wellbeing intact. Good for him.

olliebean

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on August 15, 2020, 06:53:34 PM
If he's that upset, he can go and visit it. I mean, it's a dog.

Perhaps the owner won't let him visit because they don't want their dog being locked in a wardrobe or wrapped up with duck tape.

frajer

Dogs also have highly sensitive hearing, which makes the Rickster's laugh a canine war crime.

Hand Solo

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on August 15, 2020, 08:03:39 PM
Ricky presumably knows that, but he doesn't give a shit about verisimilitude. Were such a thing possible, he'd teach the dog to cry on cue.

I doubt it, the chubby funster has only ever had cats, hasn't he? He or Jane obviously don't really like dogs.

I think he only put a dog in because he knows cats wouldn't give a fuck if he was suicidal, and wouldn't simper to him on cue.

toetoe

QuoteAnswering questions submitted by his followers, and covering topics ranging from hypnosis to television guest appearances, Gervais also revealed that he would be most inclined to revive Derek for a further special, out of all his previous TV series.

The comedy drama, originally broadcast by Channel 4, followed the staff and residents(?) of an old-age care home, focusing on "tender, innocent" care worker Derek Noakes.

He questioned the relevance of a further The Office revival in a post-lockdown, working-from-home world, and dismissed the notion of revisiting "a 60-year-old Andy Millman" from Extras, but explained: "Derek, I could see. I won't do any of them(Ed:Lies, did the Office, but that didn't work), but if I had to choose - if someone put a gun to my head and said 'You've got to do another special' - it would be Derek. Because it's a contained world, it's really sweet, it's ongoing, things don't change and I think I miss him as a character most. So Derek."

https://www.comedy.co.uk/online/news/5931/more-ricky-gervais-shows-on-netflix/

frajer

"Things don't change" in the world of Derek.

No shit, it's a cartoon.

Yes, it's lucky that nothing of note has happened to affect any care homes in, say, the last six months. Just business as usual in their 'contained world'.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: There Be Rumblings on September 10, 2020, 01:43:48 PM
Yes, it's lucky that nothing of note has happened to affect any care homes in, say, the last six months. Just business as usual in their 'contained world'.

Are you saying that Ricky Gervais, the only celebrity who "tells-it-like-it-is," the Hollywood soothsayer, the only celebrity who hates celebrity lifestyle (despite him talking about/and posing in front of his awards would suggest) is out of touch?

Cursus

Quoteit's really sweet, ... and I think I miss him as a character most.