Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:55:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Iain Lee Patreon Podcasts

Started by Satchmo Distel, June 01, 2020, 10:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
One possible reason is that people kept cancelling their Patreons after they received the podcasts but before their accounts were debited. I also infer that he thought the recession would make it unlikely he'd get enough Patreon payers, so Twitch was a better option.

The Iain Lee Phone-In Show is happening on Twitch, though, as I said, and, regarding Patreon, paused = suspended. The podcast will "go up a few weeks after the broadcast."

OTOH he's talking about doing up to 15 an hours a week broadcasting without a guaranteed wage. Blimey.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on June 16, 2020, 01:30:14 AM
One possible reason is that people kept cancelling their Patreons after they received the podcasts but before their accounts were debited.

Surely they need to pay at least once to get anything.
One downside of Patreon though is that someone could sign up, download everything a creator has posted, then leave before the start of the next month.

Isn't that also true of Twitch?

thr0b

Apparently you get money from Twitch if Amazon Prime users subscribe. Or something like that anyway.

I don't think this'll come to much though; much as I think his shows are great, I can't see it working as a long-term thing. We've seen so many of these projects from other presenters crash and burn, some quicker than others.

He's already made a few false starts this year (11 O'Clock Show rewatch, the Zoom lunches)

Jake Thingray

Twenty years ago, SOTCAA's article on The 11 O'Clock Show included this near-prophetic comment: "Maybe the show will remain, in web-text only, Iain Lee broadcasting weekly via Real video from his bedsit."

DrGreggles

Quote from: thr0b on June 16, 2020, 04:05:20 PM
Apparently you get money from Twitch if Amazon Prime users subscribe.

Didn't know that, ta.
Now linked my accounts and Twitching like a motherfucker*!

*2 subscriptions

thr0b

Interestingly, this now appears to be an official Twitch production of some kind. He's signed a 12 month contract with them to do this show, which means it may have some staying power and some support behind it.

Mango Chimes

I wondered whether they might employ him, if they were interested in Twitch taking over online radio, but he's still begging subscribers, donations and apparently organising his own advertising, so I'm confused about the relationship. It's not like Amazon's short of money, so it'd be funny if 12 months of signing him up was just for promotion. He's already a partner on the higher share of sub money, isn't he?

I would think that most of the risk is being carried by Lee rather than Amazon, for whom this is just an experiment they can pull the plug on next year at no great loss, whereas Lee is giving up any chance of landing a new radio job for a year, by which time he could be seen as washed up.

The advantage of his previous Twitch deal is that he made his own schedule and could put out any old crap, like a stream of him sleeping. Now he'll be on a treadmill and accountable to a massive corporation much bigger than Talk Radio.

At least he's got a month to prepare stuff before going live and of course he doesn't have to engage with Talk Radio's racist demographic trolling him. Hopefully the deal will enable him to bring Kath, although that's not clear at present. Maybe he has to hit an advertising and subs targegg before Amazon will pay a second wage?

thr0b

Aye, though it's presumably not an exclusive contract. More that he commits to doing x amount of shows at specific times for 12 months.

But 15 hours a week, 9pm to Midnight, doesn't leave much room for outside work, except voiceovers and weekends.

thr0b

It does when a lot of that work is being done from his front room.

As an example, Ian Collins is doing breakfast on a BBC local and afternoons on talkRADIO these days. Has been for a while, though apparently the talkRADIO gig is temporary.

Ham Bap

His first official Twitch show starting on July 20th with Bob Mortimer as a guest.
Bob has called in a fair few times in the past to the radio show.

https://twitter.com/iainlee/status/1278767455142322178?s=21

NoOffenceLynn

Quote from: Ham Bap on July 03, 2020, 10:07:48 AM
His first official Twitch show starting on July 20th with Bob Mortimer as a guest.
Bob has called in a fair few times in the past to the radio show.

https://twitter.com/iainlee/status/1278767455142322178?s=21

I'll be tuning in. Agree that Bob has great whenever he called in, particularly the ongoing saga of his nephew who is a "very fast runner".

thr0b

Bob is a big fan of fast running.

Bob was good. Great to see Kath back. However, filling three hours with these callers is a struggle* and I find myself tuning out after an hour.

*probably at least 25% more actual airtime than the radio show, where the first ten minutes of each hour was news and music then you'd have at least 5 minutes of ads per hour. How do they keep going without needing a breather/coffee/piss?

thr0b

Well, they do have drinks on the desk. And to be fair, going three hours without using the toilet is not a huge issue for most people, even as they're approaching 50.

I've found this week's shows to be better than last week's; more callers, more relaxed. Could've taken or leaving the interview with Bob, which didn't really go anyway, but the chat with Rufus Hound was good stuff.

Yes, Rufus was the best thing on this so far. Bob seemed less than sober, unless that's just his usual performance self. It was notable how his expression changed when he noticed he was on camera. I know we have our 'on' and 'off' modes but with him it's a big switch.

Ham Bap

Not fussed with the Twitch show at all. Been finding myself putting on something else instead.
A fair few times I've been watching this week and it's just been Iain staring at and talking about the dwindling Twitch viewing figures and the viewing figures falling as he speaks.
Well ok, do something about it then. Do a show, 'entertain'. I don't know.
Then it's turned into a therapy session for Iain with Kath telling him it'll be alright, that they're building a show and then Iain talking about the college course which it sounds like he'll be dropping out of.

I barely missed a radio show.
I'm not sure what this is meant to be or what they're trying to do.
I can't be bothered to listen to him anymore. Been putting on Limmy and Zafarcakes most of the week instead.
They at least entertain and put effort into what they do.
Just turning up and crying about shite viewing figures isn't what i want to listen to in my spare time.

thr0b

The problem is, Iain will say that's the show, it's raw, it's what they feel. But it's not going to get the viewers. There does need to be some point to it. The point might change every half hour, but I don't want to watch or listen to someone telling me they're not enjoying what they're doing; that's what put me off the radio show toward the end, and it's a shame to carry it over to this.

When a caller is saying something deep and heartfelt, like Alastair on Friday, Lee undercuts him with blather about the moderator. His lack of attention to his work is becoming annoying and makes this format unsustainable.

Lee totally loses his rag from 1:48:30 here on Friday's show and talks about quitting:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/696493387

thr0b

The other thing is that the viewer numbers aren't particularly low. Usually hovering around 800-1000. I would not mind betting at all that is at least on par with what the radio show was getting in terms of real, streaming listeners. And I can't see DAB as adding many more.

Ham Bap

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on August 02, 2020, 12:50:59 PM
Lee totally loses his rag from 1:48:30 here on Friday's show and talks about quitting:

I missed most of that bit on Friday night. I tuned in at the tail end of that, a few minutes after he tells the people in chat to go fuck themselves @1 hour 53 minutes.
I heard a few minutes of what became a 'group therapy/massage Iain's ego session' and put Limmy on instead.

I can't listen to this fella cry about what he wants to do with his life anymore.
Kath must be delighted that she quit her job at TalkRadio and followed this fella telling his listeners/viewers to go fuck themselves.

franticplanet

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on August 02, 2020, 12:50:59 PM

Obviously his struggles with mental health are well documented, but speaking as someone who's not a regular listener and only occasionally checks in to see what he's up to, that always seems to be pained, self-introspective diatribes about how he's had enough and has quit/is quitting broadcasting. And the stuff like pretending he's fallen down a well or gotten bitten by an owl to get in the papers.

It seems like it really isn't the best career path, especially now he's in a situation where you can literally see the live viewer count ticking up or down as it happens. That kind of thing can be toxic at the best of times, but if you're in a bad place and putting all your eggs in the Twitch basket, every -1 viewer must feel like a kick in the guts, causing more rants, causing more lost viewers etc etc

DrGreggles

Enjoyed the Steven Page interview the other night, so that's nice innit.

Did Kath resign from TalkRadio or did her contract expire like Lee's?

thr0b

She was freelance. Apparently they did offer her work on another show, but it wasn't the kind of radio she was interested in producing, so she left.

Yes, you're right. She discusses it on Friday's stream from around 1:59:00.