Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:50:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Joe Pera Talks With You

Started by Twed, May 05, 2019, 08:16:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blumf

Quote from: Retinend on June 26, 2020, 07:28:45 AM
And I love how it's Canadian.

It's set in Michigan, you've got Lake Superior between him and Canada.

Retinend

Wrong again. Still, that sort of vibe.

sevendaughters

just given this a go on All4 and wow. can't wait to watch it all.

Small Man Big Horse

So this is coming out next Spring:

Anyone else and I'd think it might be a bit gimmicky, but it's Joe so I'll be buying it as soon as I can.

The Mollusk

Hope there's an audiobook version.

basterfeldt

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 29, 2020, 02:49:30 PM

Anyone else and I'd think it might be a bit gimmicky, but it's Joe so I'll be buying it as soon as I can.

Gimmicky was what I was worried about, like most of these sorts of things. I remember being bought the Borat and Ali G christmas book things..

But then I had the same reservations for the Alan Partridge books and the audiobook forms of those are magnificent, so here's hoping.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

This is indeed a lovely show. I can imagine it being eviscerated back in the bad old days of Comedy Chat - either for being not funny enough, or because Pera seems to have some ambiguous low level disorder. Things are nicer here now, thankfully.

We went to the chip shop the other day and I couldn't help but think, "Oh boy! Fish fry."

Now the weather has turned, I'm looking forward to making a warm apple.

Quote from: The Mollusk on September 30, 2020, 09:54:04 AM
Hope there's an audiobook version.
I can't quite see the point if you can't listen to Joe narrating it.

The Mollusk

Mister Six

Stumbled across this the other night (it's on HBO Max in the US) and fell in love with it. Only seen the first three, and delighted that I have so much more to watch. It's a testament to how great Adult Swim is that they can put out something like this and Rick & Morty.

The Mollusk

I'm really grateful it was recommended to me by so many people in my "warm lovely TV show" request thread a couple of months back. I was unsure about its tone in the first episode but by the end of the breakfast episode I was completely sold. The "perfect egg bite" scene with Connor O'Malley is fantastic. "I need a win! Things haven't been going so great for me lately."

It's not really like any one thing I've seen before but I feel like it's a weird blend of Check It Out With Dr. Steve Brule and Fargo (the film), minus all of the violence and nightmare fuel of course. Public information television mixed with slice-of-life storytelling which is distant but inviting and completely charming in a niche, oddball sort of way. I don't know these people, and I at least feel as though I know all I need to know about them based on what I see on screen, but I don't want anything bad to happen to any of them, and when they're happy, I'm happy.

Every episode is a cosy delight and there's a nebulous profundity coursing through it all which evokes a great cosmic sense of contentedness in the viewer. The gentle pacing allows you to appreciate the small details of life and to not take any of the events for granted. It's soft and easy-going but it always holds your full attention. The scene where Joe drops his jack-o'-lantern into the river is uniquely cute and silly enough on paper to be a comedy scene, and I can acknowledge it as one, but I didn't laugh. In fact I was oddly moved by it and I'm pretty sure I cried a little bit.

It was certainly a very welcome and comforting discovery when lockdown was getting underway.

And just like that, I can feel my soul grow back.

Famous Mortimer

He's on Nick Naney's Instagram Live blu-ray review show right now:

https://www.instagram.com/nicknaney/live/

Ant Farm Keyboard

And How To... with John Wilson at the end of November!

Noodle Lizard

Good, I can't wait. I ignored it for a while, mistakenly assuming it was a sort of ironic Mr. Rogers But For Adults type of thing (which is what you'd expect from adultswim), but I'm glad I finally sat down and watched it all because it's one of the most refreshing comedies I've seen lately. The fact that I was constantly waiting for something dreadful to happen or for him to be confronted with some ugly sexual situation or whatever says a lot about the kind of entertainment we're used to now, and I'm very glad it never does anything like that. It shows a great deal of confidence in the character and the premise, and moreover it's just really lovely to watch.

sevendaughters

there is an undercurrent of darkness to it though imo, the spectre of impending financial collapse, death, Sarah's paranoia and having to work another job despite being a teacher, all handled very subtly. interested to see where it goes.

Thursday

It can be dark, but it's not "Daaaark" if you know what I mean. The lack of cynicism is what makes it all the more affecting when you get episodes like Joe's grandmother passing away.

sevendaughters

Quote from: Thursday on October 24, 2021, 04:13:53 PM
It can be dark, but it's not "Daaaark" if you know what I mean. The lack of cynicism is what makes it all the more affecting when you get episodes like Joe's grandmother passing away.

oh absolutely. it cleverly plays on the viewer's cynicism. like when the family go to Joe's house to look around it and act kind of entitled and shitty and you rage for Joe to say something and he just lets it play out and is even nice to the kids and apologetic to the parents when he tells them he can't sell the house; there is a certain idealisation of pleasantness as a form of polite resistance, of romanticising a past of 40s/50s consensus politics, etc. Not a criticism as such, in fact I think that's what keeps it from being two dimensional Adult Swim fodder and elevates it into something worth thinking about.

PlanktonSideburns

well put - the fact that you get to see those characters lives play out, rather than have them just pass through for comic effect, is great also

so this is out on AS tommoro - how do us british folk watch it? is the AS webiste still a borderline computervirus to use? will it be on all4?

ASFTSN

Quote from: sevendaughters on October 24, 2021, 04:29:54 PM
oh absolutely. it cleverly plays on the viewer's cynicism. like when the family go to Joe's house to look around it and act kind of entitled and shitty and you rage for Joe to say something and he just lets it play out and is even nice to the kids and apologetic to the parents when he tells them he can't sell the house; there is a certain idealisation of pleasantness as a form of polite resistance, of romanticising a past of 40s/50s consensus politics, etc. Not a criticism as such, in fact I think that's what keeps it from being two dimensional Adult Swim fodder and elevates it into something worth thinking about.

Really interesting post. I have always liked this show and I'm sure I'll like the next series too when I eventually see it, but I think your post brings up some things about it I've always had trouble articulating...like it sort of makes me feel...uncomfortable, sometimes? JP is one of the only likeable 'contented' characters I can think of in comedy, even though he does obviously have his own problems. But is he content by...I don't know, deliberately limiting his sphere of thoughts/cares? I'm not saying he's woke Derke but I sometimes every now and then wonder if I detect the faintest whiff of cynicism about the show and how it treats cosiness, niceness, material circumstances etc.

It's almost like I feel bad watching this because it doesn'texist in the shitty world I do, and it makes me feel like it's escapist in a way that's beautiful but also makes me feel guilty sometimes. Is series three going to exist in a world that's on the brink of ecological collapse while Joe drives his massive white car around? Did his cosy world get ravaged by the same pandemic that's completely fucked us all over? I'll be pleasantly surprised if any of this stuff is addressed - and I know it's not the point of the show...maybe it will be!

Probably a load of unfair nonsense I've written there, but it's difficult stuff to get my head round. And I do really like the show and the character, as I've said.

PlanktonSideburns

Interesting points. Personally I'm happy with pera's small, happy world, it's inspired me to care more about little nice moments on this shit earth of cunts

Small Man Big Horse

The first episode felt a little too slow paced for me, I liked aspects of it but Bart's appearance felt out of place, and it was amusing but nothing more than that. Though it was interesting to hear that they've decided to set it in 2018 and in a pre-Covid world, at first I presumed that would be because the show didn't want to touch upon such a complicated situation this season, but then the second episode initially felt like it was going to be one of the darkest yet, what with Jo's paranoia over the possibility of a school shooting. It developed in to a lovely episode though, I really enjoy watching Joe and Sarah's relationship and the two spending time together, and there were some very funny but also quite affecting lines throughout.

Noodle Lizard

I've only seen the first episode of the new season so far, but I very much liked it. I noticed it's starting to get a little more whimsical or self-aware as it goes on (Bart, the store manager blurting out that "it's 2018 and the economy is booming"), but there's nothing inherently wrong with that. It delivered the "nice warm bath" feeling I think we all want from it.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on November 10, 2021, 08:14:18 PM
The first episode felt a little too slow paced for me... and it was amusing but nothing more than that.
So it's business as usual then?

Thursday

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on November 10, 2021, 10:55:38 PM
Where you watching it?

The first one is available on the AdultSwim website, but you might need a VPN for it outside the US.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on November 10, 2021, 10:50:24 PM
I've only seen the first episode of the new season so far, but I very much liked it. I noticed it's starting to get a little more whimsical or self-aware as it goes on (Bart, the store manager blurting out that "it's 2018 and the economy is booming"), but there's nothing inherently wrong with that. It delivered the "nice warm bath" feeling I think we all want from it.

Oddly I didn't get that "Nice warm bath" feeling from the first, but did from the second, I might have to rewatch the first episode though as my expectations were sky high.

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on November 10, 2021, 10:55:38 PM
Where you watching it?

It's up on RarBg, the pirate bay and all those sort of sites.