Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:02:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Pest of British Comedy

Started by Tony Yeboah, July 03, 2020, 12:54:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 16, 2020, 12:58:33 AM
There is also a lot of unhelpful tittle-tattle that is detrimental to this cause.

I agree, and I'm the one who posted the links to the tweets. The person who has been tweeting has since made it very clear that they don't want this to be discussed elsewhere as it's very triggering. I've asked Barry Admin to remove my posts and the speculation.

lankyguy95

I'll take a PM too if that's ok.

FFS please stop asking. This could do more harm to the person who's been abused.

Twonty Gostelow

Beardo @ Reply 58, no, I'm indirectly quoting the attitude of the insulters.

I thought the PM me a name' thing was a joke fwiw. As far as I can tell, no one knows who it is. No loss if the posts need to be deleted.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on July 16, 2020, 11:10:48 AM
Beardo @ Reply 58, no, I'm indirectly quoting the attitude of the insulters.

Ah right, fair enough.

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on July 16, 2020, 11:10:48 AM
I thought the PM me a name' thing was a joke fwiw. As far as I can tell, no one knows who it is. No loss if the posts need to be deleted.

Sorry all. Posts gone now. A dick move from me to leave breadcrumb trails that could lead to people accusing the wrong person. And more importantly, the victim has since said they want to be left out of it now.

holyzombiejesus

Please could someone pm me too?

I don't want to know about the pervy comedian, I'm just bored and would like something to read.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Tony Yeboah on August 05, 2020, 02:59:46 PM
Detailed article on this topic https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2020/aug/05/creepy-uncomfortable-sexism-harassment-assault-faced-by-female-standups
I just wonder what'll happen the first time there's a grey-ish area case involving a comedian who makes the venues money?

zomgmouse

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on August 05, 2020, 04:39:16 PM
I just wonder what'll happen the first time there's a grey-ish area case involving a comedian who makes the venues money?

given most of the time it's definitely not a grey area the venues seem to still keep booking them, when it's a grey area they'll probably keep booking them as well

Retinend

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 03, 2020, 04:21:21 PM
Shappi Khorsandi talked about bad behavior on the 1990s circuit in a podcast recently.

What's happening on the comedy circuit is really interesting – you and I are both from the Nineties where we didn't talk about this stuff. We thought feminism was matching the men pint for pint, and pretending we really enjoyed one-night stands.

'But we had no way of verbalising that actually we didn't want that to happen, because we were meant to just enjoy what the men enjoyed.

'That was what the whole  "ladette" culture sold to us. '

Interesting to hear it admitted that the 90s "matching men pint for pint" and "shagging" culture around sex was not for most women, even if they were sex-positive feminists.

Captain Z

Quote from: Retinend on August 25, 2020, 10:03:27 AM
Interesting to hear it admitted that the 90s "matching men pint for pint" and "shagging" culture around sex was not for most women this woman, even if they were sex-positive feminists.

Retinend

ok sure, I take that bit back - but in the podcast she was presuming to speak for more women than just herself, and I can believe it

"we didn't talk about this stuff. We thought feminism was matching the men pint for pint, and pretending we really enjoyed one-night stands."

edit: "presuming" not "assuming" smh

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: Retinend on August 25, 2020, 11:24:23 AM
ok sure, I take that bit back - but in the podcast she was assuming to speak for more women than just herself, and I can believe it

I'd guess she's only talking about what we might for want of a better term call daft/naive/gullible women. Most women did have a way of verbalising that "actually we didn't want that to happen", which is why most of them didn't spend the 90s shagging strangers after eight pints of lager. She makes it sound like women spent the decade allowing themselves to be assaulted because they didn't realise that personal agency, strength of character and spurning a dismal media stereotype were valid options. It's like she never even heard of the Spice Girls.

Retinend

I believe in personal agency, but I also think it's easy to get caught up in contemporary lifestyle trends that one doesn't really believe in, especially if at the time it was being spun as something positive and vaguely feminist like "we can be LADS just as good as you LADS can be".

Disclaimer: no one is worth less if they had a lot of sex or drank a lot of pints as a woman, full stop. What Khorsandi said just seems to make a lot of sense to me.

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: Retinend on August 25, 2020, 03:10:24 PM
I believe in personal agency, but I also think it's easy to get caught up in contemporary lifestyle trends that one doesn't really believe in, especially if at the time it was being spun as something positive and vaguely feminist like "we can be LADS just as good as you LADS can be".

It's easy if you're a daft/naive/gullible conformist, as I presume Shappi will concede she was in her 20s. None of these things makes anyone "worth less" than anyone else, of course, but how else to describe any educated adult woman who thought that mimicking the most vacuous and shallow excesses of 'lad culture' made them 'as good as men'? A woman with access to a decent university library thought that feminism meant getting pissed and shagging strangers? Many women (and I'm sure a few men) regret their own youthful promiscuity, but not so many insist that their own bad choices were the fault of a contrived tabloid cliche.

Retinend

edit: nevermind I'm belaboring the point - hey check it out "belaboring" contains the words "be" "boring"

phantom_power

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on August 25, 2020, 04:43:02 PM
It's easy if you're a daft/naive/gullible conformist, as I presume Shappi will concede she was in her 20s. None of these things makes anyone "worth less" than anyone else, of course, but how else to describe any educated adult woman who thought that mimicking the most vacuous and shallow excesses of 'lad culture' made them 'as good as men'? A woman with access to a decent university library thought that feminism meant getting pissed and shagging strangers? Many women (and I'm sure a few men) regret their own youthful promiscuity, but not so many insist that their own bad choices were the fault of a contrived tabloid cliche.

They might not have been living the lifestyle but felt that they had to exude the "ladette" attitude in order to make any headway in an industry dominated by men, and laddish men at that. Or felt they had to live the lifestyle to fit in. It's not as if peer and societal pressure isn't a thing, and a quite powerful one at that for young people

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on August 25, 2020, 04:43:02 PM
If only we could be all be as superior and condescending as you, no-one would have any problems.

Jake Thingray

Honestly, have never heard of this cunt.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Tony Yeboah on September 02, 2020, 07:10:59 PM
Some shocking allegations against James Veitch https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/sarah-lawrence-alums-allege-rape-against-comedian-james-veitch
This is a good example of the limits of "cancel culture". This guy had serious allegations made against him two years ago, which would have shown up if anyone who was hiring him for an HBO special or a Quibi show had done even the most cursory search. This fucker had complaints made about him at the time, even, but managed to cruise through them.

is Veitch the guy who's a Daniel Kitson superfan skulking at the back of his gigs when I'm fairly sure Kitson has no idea he exists or have I mixed him up with someone else

notjosh

Quote from: Stone Cold Steve Austin on September 03, 2020, 12:16:00 PM
is Veitch the guy who's a Daniel Kitson superfan skulking at the back of his gigs when I'm fairly sure Kitson has no idea he exists or have I mixed him up with someone else

I've seen him at Kitson gigs before. I always marked him out as I saw one of his Fringe shows a few years back and absolutely hated the cunt. Ever since I've been seeing him at the same gigs as me and YouTube has been trying to throw his shitty TedX talks in my face. He even worked in the same office as me for a while and would relentlessly chat up one of the girls he was working with, even serenading her by guitar in proper David Brent style at least once.

Not surprised by the allegations. Not that I knew/know anything about it, but he's always come across as the classic faux-insecure-but-actually-supremely-entitled Nice Guy. Someone on twitter posted a story about him coming on to her quite insistently at the Fringe which featured a lot of "I feel like you hate me? I just don't want you to hate me". Definitely a cunt.

The Mollusk

HE LOOKS LIKE WOODY ALLEN

COINCIDENCE?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Jake Thingray on September 02, 2020, 07:20:18 PM
Honestly, have never heard of this cunt.

And what does that add to the thread? Just because you haven't heard of him doesn't make him any less of a cunt, and given that he's just had a special air on HBO Max he's not exactly unheard of.

QDRPHNC

Jesus, that's a pretty damning article.

I don't get people like this, after a history of rape and sexual assault, do they truly believe they're going to become wealthy and successful and not have it come out?

neveragain

Narcissism or sociopathy could contribute to that belief.

I hope they fill his cell with rubber ducks.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: QDRPHNC on September 03, 2020, 05:45:10 PM

I don't get people like this, after a history of rape and sexual assault, do they truly believe they're going to become wealthy and successful and not have it come out?

Yes. And up until fairly recently, they've been right.

thenoise

Quote from: QDRPHNC on September 03, 2020, 05:45:10 PM

Most people dont become wealthy and successful. And lots that do get away with it.

On balance though it's probably safest not to have a history of rape and sexual assault if you can possibly avoid it