Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:23:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Trek - Voyager

Started by dr_christian_troy, October 05, 2020, 01:52:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobbd

Quote from: Dropshadow on October 07, 2020, 12:22:55 AM
Later, though, I began to appreciate it more and now it's in second place, below DS9. Super.

Trek ranked:

TNG
DS9
TOS
VOY
TOS movies
TAS
TNG movies
ENT
Weetabix stickers
Kelvin Timeline
Short Treks
LD
DIS
PIC

Anyone who disagrees is obviously wrong.

Cloud

Quote from: oy vey on October 06, 2020, 07:48:38 PMDid Neelix ever have a good episode?

There's that one a few episodes from the finale when he fucks off.

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: Mobbd on October 08, 2020, 01:50:12 PM
Trek ranked:

TNG
DS9
TOS
VOY
TOS movies
TAS
TNG movies
ENT
Weetabix stickers
Kelvin Timeline
Short Treks
LD
DIS
PIC

I always put ToS off to the side. I find it hard to judge it against the others because it's very inconsistent and the fact that it's a product of its time shows through every now and then. For every City on the Edge or Doomsday Machine there's a Catspaw or Mudd's Women.

daf

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: daf on October 08, 2020, 03:16:44 PM
Star Trek : Orville?

Orville goes at the bottom under Michael Burnham's stools.

Malcy

Blumf

Quote from: Mobbd on October 08, 2020, 01:50:12 PM
Trek ranked:

I think you rated Picard and Discovery too high

Lemming

Ranking the series is tough because they're all defined by massive highs and gobsmackingly shite lows, TNG especially which manages to have some of the absolute best and absolute worst of Star Trek.

I think, with TNG, DS9 and VOY, if you scraped together all the good episodes, skipping over the bad and decent-but-unremarkable episodes, you'd probably get 3 or 4 full seasons' worth of quality from each show.

Deanjam

To be fair, I don't know many shows that did 26 episodes a year over 7 years that would have a better average. Maybe the first 7 years of X-Files. Very few stinkers in that run.

Malcy

Admiral Janeway returning in Star Trek: Prodigy. Must be a decent sized role for them to announce it and not just a cameo.

http://blog.trekcore.com/2020/10/star-trek-prodigy-kate-mulgrew-captain-janeway-casting/

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Nobody Soup on October 08, 2020, 02:08:01 AM
No. Neelix was kind of OK, his relationship with tuvoc was fun too, if only because tuvoc often verbalised what the fans thought about him (i.e. He was a berk).

Always felt kinda like he was gaslighting kes into having a relationship though, which was a lot less cute than "lol I put custard on a pizza.".

Yea his relationship with kes is well unbalanced, he's a needy childish git in that relationship, proper reddit manboy stuff, no wonder kes told him to shove it

Deanjam

Quote from: Malcy on October 08, 2020, 06:03:32 PM
Admiral Janeway returning in Star Trek: Prodigy. Must be a decent sized role for them to announce it and not just a cameo.

http://blog.trekcore.com/2020/10/star-trek-prodigy-kate-mulgrew-captain-janeway-casting/

Sadly just in animated form.

dr_christian_troy

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on October 08, 2020, 06:13:01 PM
Yea his relationship with kes is well unbalanced, he's a needy childish git in that relationship, proper reddit manboy stuff, no wonder kes told him to shove it

Also the references to her only being 1 or 2 years old was mildly unnerving, out of context.[nb]Also, in[/nb]

Wonderful Butternut

Kes being roughly akin to a functioning human adult (or at least a late teen) at 2 years old is problematic generally. Even if a lifeform with such a complex brain could biologically mature that fast, it's somewhat improbable she'd have been able to develop the same educational, linguistic, social and emotional skills and standards in 2 years that it takes us 18 to reach.

Also the fact that they can only give birth once in their life means their species should die out. Unless they all have twins & triplets, but I'm sure Kes talks about having a child, when the process is accidentally triggered early in her.

PlanktonSideburns

It was a different time, the 24th century

Deanjam

Everything about Kes's alien biology was stupid. Lien's best episode is Warlord where she's not even really Kes in it. She also dumps Neelix in that episode when possessed but everyone just pretends it was the real Kes who did it because they hate Neelix.

dr_christian_troy

I feel Neelix from Voyager and Phlox from Enterprise would have got along well, for some reason. I infinitely prefer Phlox between the two (so far), as he seems deeply sinister - in the complicated fluctuation of morbidity and light humour as a doctor - rather being an annoying nonce chef.

oy vey

Quote from: Mobbd on October 08, 2020, 01:46:11 PM
Does Tuvix count?

Sort of except I thought Tuvix was a bit of a dick. Is that cold? Whenever Neelix was paired with Tuvok (not literally there) it felt contrived, like they were doing an Odo-Quark episode. Riddles was okay. And kind of yes to Mortal Coil though it felt a little empty.

I forgot Warlord was when Kes dumped Neelix. Shows how well written it was...

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Deanjam on October 08, 2020, 07:08:04 PM
Everything about Kes's alien biology was stupid. Lien's best episode is Warlord where she's not even really Kes in it. She also dumps Neelix in that episode when possessed but everyone just pretends it was the real Kes who did it because they hate Neelix.

dumb backstory, good character

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Deanjam on October 08, 2020, 07:08:04 PM

yea she plays an excellent dickhead

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: oy vey on October 08, 2020, 08:03:44 PM
Sort of except I thought Tuvix was a bit of a dick. Is that cold? Whenever Neelix was paired with Tuvok (not literally there) it felt contrived, like they were doing an Odo-Quark episode. Riddles was okay. And kind of yes to Mortal Coil though it felt a little empty.

I forgot Warlord was when Kes dumped Neelix. Shows how well written it was...

yea not arsed in the episodes where tuvok just rolls his eyes at cunts

prefer it when he has more to do

Mobbd

Quote from: Lemming on October 08, 2020, 04:45:16 PM
Ranking the series is tough because they're all defined by massive highs and gobsmackingly shite lows, TNG especially which manages to have some of the absolute best and absolute worst of Star Trek.

I think, with TNG, DS9 and VOY, if you scraped together all the good episodes, skipping over the bad and decent-but-unremarkable episodes, you'd probably get 3 or 4 full seasons' worth of quality from each show.

With some notable exceptions I like the bad ones. I genuinely enjoy Threshold! And I have a soft spot for Move Along Home. I love Spock's Brain. Profit and Lace isn't great but I don't hate it like people seem to. Up the Long Ladder is just about okay (the Irish stuff is actually over quite quickly and we arrive at nice typical diplomacy episode). You can throw things at me, I don't mind.

I'm not into Fair Haven to be fair. The Child is horrible (I've reminded you of it now - you're welcome! Was that kid actually called Ian???) and Sacred Ground is bollocks. Nemesis (the episode). The one where Chuckles is a boxer. I've tried but those are all gross.

Something I keep thinking (and have probably said in one of the Trek threads here) is that I don't mind naff ideas or continuity problems if I'm having a good time. Just being in the TNG/DS9/VOY world is almost enough for me to be having a good time. PIC/DIS is the polar opposite of this, where I'm stiffed for continuity AND I feel bored and miserable.

oy vey

What's up with Sacred Ground? Janeway on an ayahuasca trip turns her back on science. Until the next episode. Spock's Brain is lovely though.

Lemming

Quote from: Mobbd on October 08, 2020, 08:52:34 PM
With some notable exceptions I like the bad ones. I genuinely enjoy Threshold! And I have a soft spot for Move Along Home. I love Spock's Brain. Profit and Lace isn't great but I don't hate it like people seem to. Up the Long Ladder is just about okay (the Irish stuff is actually over quite quickly and we arrive at nice typical diplomacy episode). You can throw things at me, I don't mind.

I like all those too! Except for Profit and Lace, which I don't really hate, it's just another standard-issue boring Ferengi episode. I agree that most of the notoriously bad episodes are actually entertaining (I also love Sub Rosa and Catspaw), but I was thinking more of stuff like latter-era TNG, especially Season 7. I ended up cutting my last rewatch short midway through the last season. Phantasms, Man of the People, Dark Page, Masks, Eye of the Beholder, Aquiel, all really dull IMO. Even the ones with good ideas like Schisms are somehow executed in a kind of boring, plodding way. I tend to write off most of the last two seasons of DS9 as well, mostly because it gets so convoluted and melodramatic that I stop caring about what's happening.

Quote from: oy vey on October 08, 2020, 09:21:37 PM
What's up with Sacred Ground? Janeway on an ayahuasca trip turns her back on science. Until the next episode. Spock's Brain is lovely though.

Yeah, the ending really winds me up. It's great that they actually do include a straightforward scientific explanation for what happened, delivered by the Doctor, but I never understood why Janeway's still all spaced-out at the end. I suppose you could say she was still feeling contemplative after having her worldview very viscerally challenged, even if it was ultimately reaffirmed.

Cloud

Drink whenever Harry Kim can't get a lock, or when Tom Paris makes some quip under his breath as he turns back to his console

Quote from: dr_christian_troy on October 08, 2020, 07:08:45 PM
I feel Neelix from Voyager and Phlox from Enterprise would have got along well, for some reason. I infinitely prefer Phlox between the two (so far), as he seems deeply sinister - in the complicated fluctuation of morbidity and light humour as a doctor - rather being an annoying nonce chef.

Billingsley (Phlox) also played a complete psycho in the Orville alongside Picardo!

Don't know if it's a disability or just a habit, but he was doing the same thing of talking out of the side of his mouth, which I used to assume was just his way of making Phlox more alien-y.

PlanktonSideburns

im sorry captain, i cant get a lock on them, were only half way through the episode

'I've lost helm control.... again'

JamesTC

Quote from: JamesTC on October 09, 2020, 12:38:09 AM
Shields down to 54%

Divert power to forward shields

Cloud

Sorry Captain, the replacement shuttle is still being replicated