Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:49:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Only Connect

Started by Pie Pie Eater, October 12, 2020, 06:29:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pie Pie Eater

Here's the old thread, which I considered bumping but the title was out of date and I got the red 'thread is over 90 days old' warning, so here's a new one, which I'm starting only to say that I'm on this tonight, on the Puzzle Hunters team (which is fairly easy to guess if you know anything about me, particularly that I am neither Mitch Benn nor Emma Kennedy, and also I would never be on a team of Beatles fans)

Olarrio

Wow, you guys were excellent! I was routing for you even before I knew who the opposition was.

Were you the one who relished answering "kill"?

willy crossit

absolutely bodied them. Well done pie

jobotic

Excellent! I'm wanging on about this in the Matt Forde thread.

Kicked their arses. Nice one.

lankyguy95

Quote from: Pie Pie Eater on October 12, 2020, 06:29:13 PM
I am neither Mitch Benn nor Emma Kennedy
There's no need to brag.

Pie Pie Eater

Quote from: Olarrio on October 12, 2020, 08:30:20 PM
Were you the one who relished answering "kill"?

Haha, no, the one that suggested the authors with middle initials R.R. and subsequently realising that it was probably impossible for there to be more than two

Norton Canes

Woah, hang on... when did they start including teams of (very) minor celebs? Was this an emergency measure brought about by lack of available plebs due to COVIDs? Did they explain?

(and well done, by the way)

Pie Pie Eater

Nah, they just applied via the normal process. Was a bit disconcerting discovering they were going to be our opponents. As soon as it became clear I just thought "oh crap, we really need to win this for CaB and the shitpost left"

Pie Pie Eater

I will say though that EK was very nice and I steered the chat towards TMWRNJ. Paul Putner still has the curious orange head, apparently.

gib

Quote from: Pie Pie Eater on October 12, 2020, 10:19:17 PM
Nah, they just applied via the normal process. Was a bit disconcerting discovering they were going to be our opponents. As soon as it became clear I just thought "oh crap, we really need to win this for CaB and the shitpost left"

you done us proud, son

Old Thrashbarg

Does the glass/perspex separating teammates have some special property that allows sound to pass through or are you all wired up so you can communicate quietly with each other without the other team hearing?

Possibly a question that was asked and answered in the first episode of this series.

jfjnpxmy

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Old Thrashbarg on October 13, 2020, 12:22:59 AMDoes the glass/perspex separating teammates have some special property that allows sound to pass through or are you all wired up so you can communicate quietly with each other without the other team hearing?

Possibly a question that was asked and answered in the first episode of this series.

Nope and nope, at least in the first 3 episodes I've seen (not seen last week's or tonight's yet).  Indeed, contestants were having visible difficulty in conferring, with more than one "Sorry, what did you say?  Can't hear you!" type moment occurring.

It does seem unfair, as it means that the other team have an even better chance of overhearing deliberations than they already had, but I suppose that works both ways round.

Of course, Pie Pie Eater may be able to shed some light if I'm mistaken.

Mr_Simnock

What a great score, good to see it was one of us in there winning. Coren's show wrap up last night was a bit odd, talk about scraping the barrel.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Pie Pie Eater on October 12, 2020, 09:23:40 PM
Haha, no, the one that suggested the authors with middle initials R.R. and subsequently realising that it was probably impossible for there to be more than two

I was a bit disappointed that you didn't say something along the lines of "What about Montmorency R R Clark?" when they revealed the other clues in that.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Pie Pie Eater on October 12, 2020, 10:22:18 PM
I will say though that EK was very nice

Well that's ruined my day.

Pie Pie Eater

Sorry!

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on October 13, 2020, 03:11:03 AM
Nope and nope, at least in the first 3 episodes I've seen (not seen last week's or tonight's yet).  Indeed, contestants were having visible difficulty in conferring, with more than one "Sorry, what did you say?  Can't hear you!" type moment occurring.

Of course, Pie Pie Eater may be able to shed some light if I'm mistaken.

No, we did have earpieces with our own team's voices coming through, in theory making it easier to confer, although in practice I think it meant we talked more quietly than we should and thus had a bit of difficulty hearing at times

Pie Pie Eater

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on October 13, 2020, 10:12:23 AM
I was a bit disappointed that you didn't say something along the lines of "What about Montmorency R R Clark?" when they revealed the other clues in that.

Sadly I am not quick-witted enough to make that kind of remark, it would have been funny though

Norton Canes

Had a mate who went on OC a few years ago. Got to a proper knockout match, his team was winning, then in the missing vowels round he answered 'PLR BS NM' as 'pluribus unum' when it fact it is of course 'e pluribus unum'. Penalty point cost his team the game. Cruel.

Pie Pie Eater

Argh brutal. I was a little wary of answering missing vowels in the next match after getting one wrong in the first one

bgmnts

Is Coren painfully unfunny in real life?

Pie Pie Eater

She's funnier than Mitch Benn

C_Larence

What is the deal with the facts about the contestants they read out at the beginning? Are they made up? If they aren't how do they choose them?

Norton Canes

At the risk of jumping in on our actual contestant, I've always thought there must be a section of your application form where you jot a few down. Or they just ask you for some when you're chosen.

Pie Pie Eater

Yeah, a researcher calls you up once you're through the audition and ekes them out of you. Also had to come with a few more on the day of shooting as they seem quite picky about which ones they use. I did end up remembering a few things that I wouldn't have because of being put on the spot actually. Also if you don't have anything interesting then almost anything can be made into an OC intro fact by judicious removal of context.

Victoria also goes through them and gets you to change / reword if she wants to. In one of our games she got someone to think of a completely new fact on set (with some leading questions based on the original rejected fact).

touchingcloth

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on October 13, 2020, 10:05:48 AM
What a great score, good to see it was one of us in there winning. Coren's show wrap up last night was a bit odd, talk about scraping the barrel.

That seems to be her thing. The sign off always seems to be a random weird thing, and deliberately unfunny.

touchingcloth

Quote from: C_Larence on October 13, 2020, 09:10:53 PM
What is the deal with the facts about the contestants they read out at the beginning? Are they made up? If they aren't how do they choose them?

Apparently they only really take teams with a "thing" that connects them. I had a friend who went on with a few of their friends, who didn't take part in any particular hobbies together. They made up that they were part of a London Underground themed supper club, and had to style out an interrogation from Victoria on air about what exactly that involved.

Pie Pie Eater

They wanted us to try and think of a different team name because there have been too many puzzle-based team names (crossworders etc) but we argued it was the most distinctive connection we had. We met doing maths PhDs but I think there's already been a Mathematicians team. And we thought if people watching Only Connect didn't know what a puzzlehunt entailed their interest might be piqued

jobotic

You should have said that you once made up lies about Jeremy Corbyn in order to pay less tax