Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:14:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

More inessential shit from the backwaters of old TV you somehow still remember

Started by non capisco, November 02, 2020, 11:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Yussef Dent on November 04, 2020, 02:38:32 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2008/apr/06/sportfeatures.television
Here's an article about it from 2008 which mentions the Vine incident and Binns swearing at that kid. Under The Moon was great, I think at the time it was on when C4 had the NBA rights, their highlights show used to sometimes be folded into it so that's how it first caught my attention. I think when live games were on and would obviously take up a huge chunk of it but they'd just carry on going after it had finished.
It's weird that I not only completely missed this, but was unaware of its existence, even. Right up my alley, and I'd have been the perfect age when it was broadcast.

Menu

Quote from: boki on November 04, 2020, 11:53:23 AM
Wasn't it an England flag bra?

I used to watch Under The Moon semi-regularly.  Gutted I missed the one where Binns was getting merked by some kid in a kickaround and he ended up shouting, "Give me the ball, you fucking cunt", though.

You might be right about the bra - I knew it was one of our (many) flags. Binns job seemed to be a roving reporter but I don't specifically remember any examples of where he would rove around. But he always did it with a Herring voice and in a similar style to Herring's 'character' in TMWRNJ which was on at the same time. Your example sounds funny and quite typical though.

Menu

Quote from: Yussef Dent on November 04, 2020, 02:38:32 PM

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2008/apr/06/sportfeatures.television
Here's an article about it from 2008 which mentions the Vine incident and Binns swearing at that kid. Under The Moon was great, I think at the time it was on when C4 had the NBA rights, their highlights show used to sometimes be folded into it so that's how it first caught my attention. I think when live games were on and would obviously take up a huge chunk of it but they'd just carry on going after it had finished.

Well that's as unexpected as it is gratifying! Thanks so much, mate. I was beginning to think I'd imagined it or misunderstood what had happened. And DK does say in that interview that if you were a fan of the show you were probably a student! I WAS!  (a shit one)

Glebe

Quote from: Gulftastic on November 04, 2020, 07:37:26 PMHe did. In my memory it only started after Alexi did this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RE8b_e16brc&t=1273s

I actually remember that when it went out! He also had a pop at Clive James, and Hale and Pace I think.

RE: Under the Moon, I think Eddie Large was on it once (as mentioned before on the forum), he was also (as also discussed previously) on Fantasy Football League... Baddiel makes a pretty mean-spirited joke about his weight! I'm not much of a footie fan but me mates used to watch these things, so...

grainger

I've mentioned it before, but I have another Madely-related one. It's still lost in the mists of time, and I still wonder if I imagined it.

The first time I saw This Morning was a most atypical episode, in which they were having a song competition to determine (IIRC) a new theme tune. Members of the public had been encouraged to send in candidates for the new theme, and the entire episode was given over to the song contest. 

The songwriters performed their songs (some of them strumming guitars or miming with DX7s on the Albert Dock), and the show's regular experts gave their views on the quality of each entry. As you might expect, the songs were pure cringe, lyrics consisting of lists of things in the programme.

Anyway, they decided on a winner pretty unanimously (I think I remember the chorus, and wish I didn't) and then the song was never heard again (except in my head).

Brundle-Fly

An episode of BBC1 cross ferry soap drama Triangle where in the middle of one episode something must have happened to the VT as it suddenly started to run backward at double speed with sound.

Jockice

If we're talking morning TV here's one that nobody else remembers  Because they were all at work. Except me who was laid up at home for months even after getting out of hospital following the complete stranger falling on top of me incident. So The Time The Place with John Stapleton become one of my staples.

It was one of those audience participation shows with a different topic each day. One morning it was whether long distance romances can work. Remember it was pre-internet days so they were a lot more difficult then. The main interviewee was a woman who had fallen in love with a bloke in America after striking up a correspondence (he wasn't on death row or anything though) and was planning to go over and marry him.

In what was obviously meant to be the grand finale Stapleton phoned him up. I've always thought these things were set up beforehand but in this case it obviously wasn't as the bloke reacted as most people would if being woken up by a phone call in the early hours (lest we forget, the US is several hours behind) from a stranger claiming to be from a TV show in another continent asking about your personal life. He didn't swear but it's fair to say he wasn't too happy.

The final shot on the show as it went to the credits was the woman sitting there with a look of total shock on her face. She certainly wasn't expecting that. I wonder if the relationship continued after that. It was never mentioned on the show again.

Menu

Quote from: Jockice on November 05, 2020, 10:00:31 AM
If we're talking morning TV here's one that nobody else remembers  Because they were all at work. Except me who was laid up at home for months even after getting out of hospital following the complete stranger falling on top of me incident. So The Time The Place with John Stapleton become one of my staples.

It was one of those audience participation shows with a different topic each day. One morning it was whether long distance romances can work. Remember it was pre-internet days so they were a lot more difficult then. The main interviewee was a woman who had fallen in love with a bloke in America after striking up a correspondence (he wasn't on death row or anything though) and was planning to go over and marry him.

In what was obviously meant to be the grand finale Stapleton phoned him up. I've always thought these things were set up beforehand but in this case it obviously wasn't as the bloke reacted as most people would if being woken up by a phone call in the early hours (lest we forget, the US is several hours behind) from a stranger claiming to be from a TV show in another continent asking about your personal life. He didn't swear but it's fair to say he wasn't too happy.

The final shot on the show as it went to the credits was the woman sitting there with a look of total shock on her face. She certainly wasn't expecting that. I wonder if the relationship continued after that. It was never mentioned on the show again.

God that's awful. Why would they do it like that? You'd think they'd prepare it ffs.

Menu

Quote from: grainger on November 05, 2020, 07:44:50 AM
I've mentioned it before, but I have another Madely-related one. It's still lost in the mists of time, and I still wonder if I imagined it.

The first time I saw This Morning was a most atypical episode, in which they were having a song competition to determine (IIRC) a new theme tune. Members of the public had been encouraged to send in candidates for the new theme, and the entire episode was given over to the song contest. 

The songwriters performed their songs (some of them strumming guitars or miming with DX7s on the Albert Dock), and the show's regular experts gave their views on the quality of each entry. As you might expect, the songs were pure cringe, lyrics consisting of lists of things in the programme.

Anyway, they decided on a winner pretty unanimously (I think I remember the chorus, and wish I didn't) and then the song was never heard again (except in my head).

I'm surprised nobody's one through Madeley's back catalogue to find stuff like this. I bet its brimming with comedic incidents of various sizes. He's a goldmine for shit like this. Remember that 3 part travelogue thing they had on YouTube a while ago of Madeley going round some area having Partridge moments and pieces to camera. I bet there's tonnes of stuff like that!

SOMEBODY! Go and do that!

Chriddof

I think I've mentioned this before on here, but another forgotten This Morning moment was when some bloke phoned up their resident doctor, the surname-less Dr Chris, with Richard Madeley overseeing the calls. The caller described his symptoms - which were to do with his penis - and he revealed them very very gradually in such a way that eventually the viewer at home (but not, amusingly enough, Dr Chris) realized that this was a prank call in which he was describing having a wank in a very abstract way. Something like, "the genitalia becomes very firm... there's some swelling... quite a bit of discharge..." The penny never dropped for Dr Chris, with him getting more and more confused asking this question and that, and eventually the camera cut to Richard, who very sharply cut the call off and they moved onto someone else.

Menu

Quote from: Glebe on November 05, 2020, 01:27:02 AM
I actually remember that when it went out! He also had a pop at Clive James, and Hale and Pace I think.

RE: Under the Moon, I think Eddie Large was on it once (as mentioned before on the forum), he was also (as also discussed previously) on Fantasy Football League... Baddiel makes a pretty mean-spirited joke about his weight! I'm not much of a footie fan but me mates used to watch these things, so...

I used to love they way they'd introduce the guests, and any other format feature, by singing the words again and again to the tune of Back Home. It's so brilliantly stupid.

petril

Quote from: Menu on November 05, 2020, 11:18:06 PM
I used to love they way they'd introduce the guests, and any other format feature, by singing the words again and again to the tune of Back Home. It's so brilliantly stupid.

"and now for the first in a new feature..."

Quote from: Menu on November 05, 2020, 11:07:56 PM
I'm surprised nobody's one through Madeley's back catalogue to find stuff like this. I bet its brimming with comedic incidents of various sizes. He's a goldmine for shit like this. Remember that 3 part travelogue thing they had on YouTube a while ago of Madeley going round some area having Partridge moments and pieces to camera. I bet there's tonnes of stuff like that!

SOMEBODY! Go and do that!

I was browsing the radio stations last week and he was on Talkradio in the mid morning slot, Richard Madeley's mid morning matters. I shit you not he said, "so ebola's more of a shotgun blast and covid's more rapid machine gun fire" when chatting with a scientist. Then he recounted a tale about Michael Winner eating a dodgy oyster which left him half paralysed to Katherine Ryan of all people who was on plugging something food related.

I believe he was on all week and the shows are archived on YouTube, someone, somewhere, please, do the right thing.

Pink Gregory

The Golden/Cinnamon Grahams ad from the early 2000s where the two kids are all 'Nu metal!' 'nah, garage!'

magval

Quote from: Pink Gregory on November 06, 2020, 08:16:33 PM
The Golden/Cinnamon Grahams ad from the early 2000s where the two kids are all 'Nu metal!' 'nah, garage!'

I mind this!

Also remember an ad that used a Lamb of God song and another where a lad from my school played a goth who was embarassed to be seen with a Lidl bag.

Seem to remember anything that skewed towards the rock scene unexpectedly.

Menu

Quote from: Ludicrous Display on November 06, 2020, 01:43:49 PM
I was browsing the radio stations last week and he was on Talkradio in the mid morning slot, Richard Madeley's mid morning matters. I shit you not he said, "so ebola's more of a shotgun blast and covid's more rapid machine gun fire" when chatting with a scientist. Then he recounted a tale about Michael Winner eating a dodgy oyster which left him half paralysed to Katherine Ryan of all people who was on plugging something food related.

I believe he was on all week and the shows are archived on YouTube, someone, somewhere, please, do the right thing.

Oh man. What use is AI if it can't filter the most Partridge bits of Madeley's career? He's spinning gold.

Menu

grainger

A totally classic Madeley sequence I've mentioned before was the Bayeaux Tapestry one on (I think) Richard and Judy. I think this would have been the early 2000s. It featured several astonishing moments. To keep it very brief this time, a woman had spent 20 years making a replica of the tapestry, and the sequence involved the woman seeing her entire tapestry displayed for the first time (Madeley rotated the guest in a revolving chair and insisted she not turn her head as he spun the chair; he also made Judy lean forwards for the duration so she didn't block the guest's view). There was also the revelation that the guest had never, in 20 years, been to see the real tapestry (the programme-makers had rectified this). Madeley ended the sequence by unfavourably comparing her efforts to the real thing.

Menu

Oh man, that's perfect. Actually I've just remembered him once doing one of those 20 questions things they have in Sunday supplements where the celeb answers some random quickfire questions. When Madeley was asked which human being he most despises, he said 'Fidel Castro'.

Just such a weirdly Partridgean choice, implying a comical backstory of some sort as to how his hatred for Castro started and developed. Even if you were right-wing (which I've never thought Richard was particularly, he doesn't seem political at all), there would be a number of people on the list before you got to the President of Cuba.

grainger

I've just remembered quite a funny Judy moment. Back when Madonna's book Sex came out, they had a debate about it. They had someone from (I think) the publishing company on to defend the book (Madonna certainly didn't appear). The debate ended with Judy storming off, saying "Well I think it's a disgrace" or similar. But it wasn't really classic-Richard levels of funny.

petril

Quote from: Menu on November 08, 2020, 02:59:57 AM
Oh man, that's perfect. Actually I've just remembered him once doing one of those 20 questions things they have in Sunday supplements where the celeb answers some random quickfire questions. When Madeley was asked which human being he most despises, he said 'Fidel Castro'.

Just such a weirdly Partridgean choice, implying a comical backstory of some sort as to how his hatred for Castro started and developed. Even if you were right-wing (which I've never thought Richard was particularly, he doesn't seem political at all), there would be a number of people on the list before you got to the President of Cuba.

I think he's a bit right wing but not in a state where he's capable of being aware of it. just a slow drift, still assured he's not somehow without actually thinking

Menu

Quote from: grainger on November 08, 2020, 07:25:20 AM
I've just remembered quite a funny Judy moment. Back when Madonna's book Sex came out, they had a debate about it. They had someone from (I think) the publishing company on to defend the book (Madonna certainly didn't appear). The debate ended with Judy storming off, saying "Well I think it's a disgrace" or similar. But it wasn't really classic-Richard levels of funny.

She stormed off???

Menu

Quote from: petrilTanaka on November 08, 2020, 03:40:01 PM
I think he's a bit right wing but not in a state where he's capable of being aware of it. just a slow drift, still assured he's not somehow without actually thinking

And I'm sure he's said progressive things at some point(although I can't remember any specific examples). I just bet there's an amusing back story to his hate of Castro. God, I'd love to live with him or something.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Menu on November 09, 2020, 12:21:35 AM
And I'm sure he's said progressive things at some point(although I can't remember any specific examples). I just bet there's an amusing back story to his hate of Castro. God, I'd love to live with him or something.

The Castro thing is mentioned on his Wikipedia page, and here's the original 2006 Guardian interview where Judy says she most despises Osama Bin Laden. Someone on Digital Spy recounts another incident but I'm not sure if it's true (I'm sure I've heard it about someone else):
QuoteRichard made some remark about Fidel Castro which prompted Judy to say (words to the effect of) that's not fair, he's on his deathbed to which Madeley replied "like a lot of people he murdered Judy" in a hugely patronising and dismissive way. Judy looked as close as I have ever seen her to walking off set/hitting him.
Fidel died in 2016 so if true that must refer to a separate incident?

There's also a 2017 Daily Express column by him about how awful it is that Corbyn supports Castro, that also includes Madeley's disdain for nuclear disarmament, moaning about striking railway workers, and how unpopular Corbyn was. The whole article is brilliantly Partridgean. It's written 11 years after he told the Guardian he hated Castro, so clearly a long grudge (albeit perhaps not one reciprocated by the Cubans). It's pretty clear Madeley is very anti-left wing. Was there ever a strike by workers on This Morning?

Mobbd

This is a great thread. The "ebola is like a shotgun blast" story had me laughing uncontrollably. I hope the neighbours could hear me through the wall. I sounded genuinely insane.

Does anyone remember some advertising buffers for Frasier on Channel 4 in the late '90s or early 2000s? They involved a man (I'm pretty sure it was Kerry Shale) in talk therapy, indulgently describing his neuroses. We then cut to the silently-listening therapist who, we learn, is nothing but a painted egg.

grainger

Quote from: Menu on November 09, 2020, 12:18:53 AM
She stormed off???
Yes, she (with Richard IIRC) was talking to the person defending the book. She was already a bit indignant about the book at the start of the interview. Eventually, she got annoyed and yelled "well I think it's disgusting!" or similar, and walked off set. I think the interview ended then.
To be clear, she was still in the rest of the show, she just left that particular segment. It's even possible that she was meant to walk to another part of the studio set or something at that point, but her yelling certainly gave the impression she stormed out of the interview.

But this was a long time ago - it's entirely possible/likely that the reality wasn't as I remember it.

grainger

Quote from: Menu on November 09, 2020, 12:21:35 AM
Madeley has definitely said progressive things (e.g. supporting gay phone-in callers). Like everyone, he's probably complicated.

grainger

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on November 09, 2020, 10:07:04 AM
It's pretty clear Madeley is very anti-left wing. Was there ever a strike by workers on This Morning?
The staff of his production company once walked out because the Chocolate Oranges he gave them at Easter had damaged boxes.

grainger

Quote from: jobotic on November 09, 2020, 02:16:42 PM
What does Judy care about Madonna's Sex book?
The book was pretty outrageous at the time and IIRC she was outraged by its level of explicitness. It's not surprising that a book designed to be outrageous outrages some people.
That said, I'm starting to doubt my memory that it was Judy who stormed off. It could have been a stand-in presenter. Someone definitely did, though.