Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:20:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Top of the Pops on BBC Four - Thread Three

Started by daf, November 05, 2020, 08:25:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daf

Welcome along to Part 3!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Thread One : 1977-1986 | skip to the end 1
Thread Two : 1986-1990 | skip to the end 2
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

kalowski

non capisco

Still enjoying watching these along with you lot, even though the UK chart glory years of '79-'82 have long since vanished into the mist. I even sound a bit 'yeah, alright, grandad' in a thread about Top Of The Pops repeats.

edon

1992 and 1993 will be a real test for me. Charts are crapper than ever before and TOTP's revamped format is terrible, although I feel the following years from 1994-97 will be somewhat of an improvement even with Oasis and such stinking the place up. I'm still looking forward to seeing stuff like Pulp's performances from that era again.

Having said that, BBC4 or the BBC altogether might not even exist anymore before they can get to that point.

Johnboy

Norton Canes

The early 90's shows will continue to be great, with the tunes that kept me shambling around indie dancefloors. The Britpop-era stuff might suffer through its best performances having been over-played but I'm sure there are a smattering of relative obscurities left to enjoy. And even by the late 90's there were still, IIRC, plenty of indie-band-of-the-week appearances to keep interest levels up.

Not looking forward to the theme music change and the redesign to that horrible under-lit set that survives, I'm sure, pretty much to the end of the show's life.

Icehaven

I've been watching these since about 1987 was on and the Jamie Morgan cover of Walk on the Wild Side is the worst thing I've seen so far.

Icehaven

Who were those two blokes sneaking off the stage during Electribe 101?

ElTwopo

Christ, this episode has been absolutely dire.

Sebastian Cobb

Not totp, but at 9 there's 2 hours of Punk and New Wave compiled by Annie Nightingale. A lot of it's from OGWT I think. The Selecter are in there at some point, I know that much.

Icehaven

Icehaven

Mr. Haven, previously unfamiliar with Bruno Brookes, has remarked that he "looks like a fucking darts player".

edon

That first show was pretty much wall to wall toilet, save for the saviors that are Electribe 101. I'm convinced some Judy Tzuke Tour Jacket-related business went on with getting that Brits 1990 megamix as high as #2 in the charts as well, surely the appetite for that type of thing wasn't that huge here?

Icehaven

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 06, 2020, 08:25:41 PM
Not totp, but at 9 there's 2 hours of Punk and New Wave compiled by Annie Nightingale. A lot of it's from OGWT I think. The Selecter are in there at some point, I know that much.

The absolutely dreadful Pete Shelley solo single featured in this, Homo Sapien, seems to have influenced LCD Soundsystem's North American Scum rather a lot.

crankshaft

Quote from: icehaven on November 06, 2020, 10:01:59 PM
The absolutely dreadful Pete Shelley solo single featured in this, Homo Sapien

Wait, what?? Homo Sapien is a banger!

kalowski

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 06, 2020, 08:25:41 PM
Wasted opportunity. Thirty seconds of each track, wizzing through, with Nightingale giving the full "and then a band appeared called The Specials, who I was a fan of from their very first release..."

kalowski

Sebastian Cobb

Commodore Pet in the background, ergo I can't hate it.

Icehaven

Quote from: crankshaft on November 06, 2020, 10:12:57 PM

I'm currently perceiving it as awful, but I have been drinking, so I'll give it a shot sober tomorrow, but the video looks awful so it'll have to be a bloody good song.

Sebastian Cobb

I guess I need to check out Laurie Anderson.

edon

Quote from: crankshaft on November 06, 2020, 09:59:51 PM
Ooh, hype gossip? Please elaborate.

Apparently the bribes used on record shop employees when label executives desired to forge chart returns for certain singles were satin tour jackets for Judy Tzuke, as alluded to by Chart Music in one of their episodes (forget which). Think it was exposed by a World in Action documentary first.

crankshaft

Quote from: edon on November 06, 2020, 10:44:51 PM
Apparently the bribes used on record shop employees when label executives desired to forge chart returns for certain singles were satin tour jackets for Judy Tzuke, as alluded to by Chart Music in one of their episodes (forget which). Think it was exposed by a World in Action documentary first.

Wow, that's a pretty cheap bribe.

I really enjoyed the 1990 Dance Brits megamix

But I was most happy to see Shakey again! One last time, I guess?

daf

1 March 1990: Presenter: Jakki Brambles

(29)SHAKIN' STEVENS – I Might
(10)ROD STEWART – Downtown Train (video)
(27)JAMIE J. MORGAN – Walk On The Wild Side
- - - - - - - - - - - (Breakers) - - - - - - - - - - - -
(31)INNOCENCE – Natural Thing (video)
(32)MARC ALMOND – A Lover Spurned (video)
(33)THE B52'S – Love Shack (video)
(34)DAVID A. STEWART feat. CANDY DULFER – Lily Was Here (video)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
(23)ELECTRIBE 101 – Talking With Myself
( 7 )VARIOUS ARTISTS – The Brits 1990 (video)
( 3 )MICHAEL BOLTON – How Am I Supposed To Live Without You
( 1 )BEATS INTERNATIONAL feat. LINDY LAYTON – Dub Be Good To Me

(22)J.T. & THE BIG FAMILY – Moments In Soul (video and credits)

Quote from: edon on November 06, 2020, 09:27:02 PM
That first show was pretty much wall to wall toilet, save for the saviors that are Electribe 101. I'm convinced some Judy Tzuke Tour Jacket-related business went on with getting that Brits 1990 megamix as high as #2 in the charts as well, surely the appetite for that type of thing wasn't that huge here?

You'd be surprised, there was also Snap! and Technotronic megamixes that charted really highly around this period too - if anything they were a cheap, guaranteed hit.

I remember this was the era of independent record shops basically getting "heavily promoted" product for free from the record labels. My friend worked in a chart return shop and she told me that the reps would give them stacks of free product which they could sell at a reduced price in exchange for letting the record company reps behind the counter access to their Gallup machines and swiping the barcodes of what needed promoting whilst they were out the back making a cup of tea. The standard price of a 12" single was €3.99 back then, but you could often buy new release major label 12"s for £1.99 (or less) due to this system, I distinctly remember seeing the Massive Attack - Daydreaming 12" for 50p in a few shops on it's first week of release due to this type of promotion.

I would say that the Jamie J Morgan track was definitely involved in some kind of shenanigans for it to reach the chart as there was zero interest in it at the time, I never heard it played anywhere in clubs or on the radio, especially compared to Beats International  and JT & The Big Family which you couldn't avoid in the clubs (both of which were on smaller labels).

Electribe 101 seemed to have countless 12" remixes/rereleases at £1.99 and whilst they had pretty decent tracks you'd never hear them played out anywhere (I was DJing/clubbing 5 or 6 nights a week back then).

Quote from: icehaven on November 06, 2020, 10:01:59 PM
The absolutely dreadful Pete Shelley solo single featured in this, Homo Sapien, seems to have influenced LCD Soundsystem's North American Scum rather a lot.

That's a hot take Icehaven, the Martin Rushent produced album this was taken from was way ahead of it's time and has grown in influence over the years Witness The Change/I Don't Know What It Is (Dub) is considered a proto Italo disco/electronic music classic nowdays.

Jockice

Quote from: crankshaft on November 06, 2020, 10:12:57 PM

Just about to say that! The whole album's great. As is the follow-up XL1. Which came with some sort of computer programme on it, which I showed no interest in at all.

Quote from: Jockice on November 07, 2020, 10:41:16 AM
Just about to say that! The whole album's great. As is the follow-up XL1.

How did the album go down at the time? It was a big change of direction for Shelley.