Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:53:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

5A 5A 5APE?

Started by falafel, November 29, 2020, 07:39:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's our theme (only vote if you're participating, check thread for details)?

Soundtrack a feature-length film (each participant gets a segment)
1 (4.3%)
Soundtrack a series / set of short films or cartoons (one per participant)
0 (0%)
Radio times listings
7 (30.4%)
Voynich Manuscript
1 (4.3%)
Garden of Earthly Delights
9 (39.1%)
COVID HAUNTOLOGY
5 (21.7%)
Derke: Music Inspired by TV's 'Derek'
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 23

the

Quote from: greencalx on December 04, 2020, 01:13:24 PM
Quote from: NoSleep on December 03, 2020, 09:06:01 PMIf you like the mix you've created then a 24-bit WAV or AIFF file will do nicely. If you think your mixing is a wonky, then talk with me when you've finished and I will tell you what to send me so that I can finish it for you.

OK. I think I could manage that. What kind of timescale are we talking?

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Was coming to ask that question, is there a particular time frame people had in mind?

I'm aware that even with less going out right now people still have lives/kids but it would be a good challenge to see if we can get this one together a bit quicker than the last! Not to rush it and ruin it but yeah is a couple of months realistic or have these usually taken a while as a rule?

the

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on December 04, 2020, 01:38:58 PMWas coming to ask that question, is there a particular time frame people had in mind?

I'm aware that even with less going out right now people still have lives/kids but it would be a good challenge to see if we can get this one together a bit quicker than the last! Not to rush it and ruin it but yeah is a couple of months realistic or have these usually taken a while as a rule?

As mentioned up-thread, I think the best rule of thumb is to (obviously) try to get it done ASAP, but preferably within a matter of months.

The initial HHT albums (which I wasn't involved with) had systems where someone would finish their track and send it onto the next person, then they'd start, and so on - which led to the albums taking ages to complete.

For the last one, we avoided having that kind of time-consuming system (although some of us did send drafts to the next person along) - and it took two years anyway!

So, just avoid dragging your feet if you can and try to produce one track within a reasonable amount of time (ie. not years).

Beagle 2

We did manage a Christmas album on time once!

I have less spare time than I've ever had in my life but I'll just do something quick and dirty if I can't manage anything more polished. I have a guitar and a microphone and very little sense of shame.

the

Quote from: Beagle 2 on December 04, 2020, 01:56:31 PMWe did manage a Christmas album on time once!

I have less spare time than I've ever had in my life but I'll just do something quick and dirty if I can't manage anything more polished. I have a guitar and a microphone and very little sense of shame.

Go for it - again, if you want to concentrate on the meat & potatoes of your song but not necessarily polish up the production, NoSleep can assist with your mixdown and final output.

falafel

If you're really nice he'll give you a massage too

NoSleep

Quote from: greencalx on December 04, 2020, 01:13:24 PM
OK. I think I could manage that. What kind of timescale are we talking?

That's still under discussion.

falafel

Here's a covid theme, everyone has to submit by the time they get vaccinated

jonnycuba

Count me in. If it's Bosch I would like to claim the big egg in purgatory.

NoSleep

jonnycuba

hummingofevil

+Me please. I like the Bosch idea.

the

falafel
The Mollusk
BlodwynPig
Non Stop Dancer
the
spaghetamine
PlanktonSideburns
Johnny Textface
NoSleep
Rich Uncle Skeleton
drummersaredeaf
Phil_A
Viero_Berlotti
Flouncer
Petey Pate
Beagle 2
greencalx
jonnycuba
hummingofevil

Still open for more participants

falafel

Poll closing end of tomorrow...

I think we could say that people are free to join in at any time but just to avoid it going on forever, whatever the list of people is by the end of tomorrow, once they are all in we wrap up and any late joiners have to be done before then.

NoSleep

Quote from: hummingofevil on December 04, 2020, 11:34:01 PM
+Me please. I like the Bosch idea.

Have you voted in the poll yet?

NoSleep

Quote from: falafel on December 05, 2020, 09:22:21 AM
Poll closing end of tomorrow...

I think we could say that people are free to join in at any time but just to avoid it going on forever, whatever the list of people is by the end of tomorrow, once they are all in we wrap up and any late joiners have to be done before then.

I notice there's more votes than there are entrants so far. Perhaps it would be better to vote in the thread to keep it fair.

Viero_Berlotti

NoSleep

falafel

Is there any way to see who voted for what in a poll or is it all recorded anonymously?

falafel

Difference is only one so far. So if the first place is two or more ahead at the end of tomorrow it's still the winner, right?

Alternatively, if you've voted but aren't participating and you're feeling generous, could you own up and say what you voted for?

NoSleep

The polls are anonymous I believe.

If somebody who wasn't participating snuck in to vote would you believe what they said they had voted for?

falafel

the

I wouldn't get too hung up on the poll. If you want to disbelieve in the poll mechanism then perhaps don't tie yourself to one in the first place :)

If it's a close run thing we could just do both and it's up to the artist to choose what theme they used (or both, or neither). If it results in more inspiration and tracks getting made then all the better.

'The Garden Of Earthly Transmissions'

(there's your Covid theme)

Johnny Textface

What would the Radio Times listings entail? I voted for Bosch.

the

Quote from: Johnny Textface on December 05, 2020, 02:23:40 PMWhat would the Radio Times listings entail? I voted for Bosch.

(It never said anything specifically about the Radio Times):

Quote from: the on November 30, 2020, 08:32:47 PMOr take a page of listings like this one I just randomly found, we each pick an item off it to base a song on (it could be completely abstract/tangential, just based on a word or concept in the paragraph)

Ray Travez

I'd like to be in this as well. Haven't recorded anything since I set one of Glebe's poems to music for the Clowne concept album.

PlanktonSideburns

NoSleep

I question whether they have been in the egg before. Looks more like an excellent attempt at recycling.

NoSleep

Quote from: Ray Travez on December 05, 2020, 11:38:52 PM
I'd like to be in this as well. Haven't recorded anything since I set one of Glebe's poems to music for the Clowne concept album.

falafel
The Mollusk
BlodwynPig
Non Stop Dancer
the
spaghetamine
PlanktonSideburns
Johnny Textface
NoSleep
Rich Uncle Skeleton
drummersaredeaf
Phil_A