Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:48:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Wrestling 2021: The Big Thread Machine

Started by madhair60, March 07, 2021, 08:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ja'moke

Caster is money.

TK said the ladder person is a separate surprise.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Moribunderast on March 08, 2021, 02:59:30 AM
Hangman/Hardy was fine. Loved the post-match feel good moment with Dark Order. I don't know if Page necessarily needs to "join" or lead Dark Order but just being friends with them is very sweet.

He can be a Tay for the boys.

Platinum Max seems to be over af.

BRen

Ja'moke

Ja'moke

Moribunderast

Well, now that I know it's Christian, I am kinda happy because I love him and he'll do well. Still, an overhyped signing and I feel like it put Christian in a bad spot.

BRen

Disappointed. Didn't deserve that level of hype.

Ja'moke

Love Christian. And he'll have some great match ups in AEW.

Gurke and Hare

It's wrestling. Everyone's been played by the carny hype, which is as it should be. And on top of that, the signing isn't some old bloke who can't wrestle.

Moribunderast

Moribunderast

All right Mox and Kenny, what lunacy have ye in store?

Ja'moke

Gurke and Hare

Ja'moke

BRen

Absolute joke of an ending, proper wet fart. Like a few sparklers attached to the corners of the ring.

Moribunderast

Absolutely great idea with the Eddie angle but the poor execution of the bombs made it come off terribly.

Ja'moke

That ending will live in infamy, sadly, and probably overshadow the whole ppv.

They'll likely rework it and either say Kenny botched the engineering or that he purposefully made it shit just to trick and spook Mox.

But then you got to explain Eddie selling it like death. He passed out due to the fear?

Deanjam

Oh man, just saw that 'explosion' and died of embarrassment. Feel bad for Moxley & Eddie Kingston. Anyway, seems the show was good, but not great. Difficult to tell from reactions as people tend to lean from one extreme to another.

And Christian. Could be worse.

up_the_hampipe

It's... it's Christian...

That explosion was the worst finish since The Fiend/Rollins HIAC in 2019. Glad I didn't stay up for that show.

Timothy

Christian. They shouldnt have hyped this signing up so much because it doesnt warrant the hype.
Disappointing.

Not as disappointing as that "explosion" though.

Rest of the PPV was good.

petril

the Christian debut was an amusing wee reenactment of him going to TNA, minus the friday night pub outfit. Actually burst out laughing when I realised it was basically his TNA theme with the countdown clock.

probably a bit excessive to have it on a card with Archer's countdown clock and a big battle royale AND an explosion timer, mind

MrMrs

Pathetic, from start to finishing. TNA is back.

gmoney

Well that ending was one way to make me less disappointed with Christian dressed as a Geography teacher (with his bloody TNA music). A real shame, because it was a pretty dramatic match. Couldn't they have rigged the ring to collapse or something? Poor Eddie Kingston having to sell that.

kitsofan34

Hook.How is someone with Taz's genetics passed down to him so hot?

gmoney

Eddie Kingston's new gimmick should be that he's scared of fireworks.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Deanjam on March 08, 2021, 06:32:45 AM
Oh man, just saw that 'explosion' and died of embarrassment. Feel bad for Moxley & Eddie Kingston. Anyway, seems the show was good, but not great. Difficult to tell from reactions as people tend to lean from one extreme to another.

It was a really solid, fun show up until the last 30 seconds. The ladder match perhaps the weak point before that -- it had a few nice spots but also lots of slow plodding moments and sloppiness.

Certainly not the best PPV they've done - not a patch on last year's Revolution - and it didn't really have any all-time classic matches, but just a lot of very good ones.

But, yeah, sadly that ending, which was terrible, will overshadow the whole PPV.

Mox cut a promo to the crowd after it went off the air (which AEW has since uploaded to social media) saying that "Kenny can't make an exploding ring for shit." So it seems that's the way they're going with it because there is no way they can sell that as serious.

The tough part is going to be explaining why Eddie sold it (and I don't blame him, he had his head down and didn't see how shit it looked, he was just doing what he was meant to do). They're going to have to say he passed out from the stress and anxiety of what he thought was about to happen, or something... I mean, that's shit, but if anyone can make it work in a promo it's Eddie.

What a shame though, because Eddie coming out to protect Mox was such a good development in their story, and then it ended with some sparklers going off.

Gurke and Hare

Although it will obviously overshadow it in the public consciousness, I'm not going to let the explosions ruin the show for me, because everything that came before it was good to great. The ladder match was a funny one - the first half was slow and sloppy as you say - good to see page get the obligatory PPV debut botch in[nb]And I liked Matt Sydal successfully doing the spot he botched in his debut[/nb] - but the last half was astonishing bump after astonishing bump. The destroyer onto the ladder from Penta was fucking amazing. And even the Miro nonsense wasn't that bad, it put Miro over really well as a monster and didn't last too long.

Ja'moke

The Miro match was one of the surprise highlights of the show. It was a fun match, and, like you say, Miro looked like a deranged beast. And they've set up the eventual turn now, with him knocking Penelope off the ring apron and not giving a shit about it, and even dragging Kip away from her when he was checking on her.

I also thought the tag team battle royal was really fun. Every team got a moment to shine. Again, perhaps a little too much waiting for the next spot from certain offenders, but I can forgive that because for the most part it was a really good match with very few botches (other than that hilarious one where Evil Uno ran himself into the ring post). The end with Fenix and Jungle Boy was amazing and I want to see a proper singles match with those too.

Old Thrashbarg

I sat expecting a big explosion and ring collapse. Then the sparklers went off and I thought that was essentially the fuse being lit, to be followed by a big explosion and ring collapse. Then Excalibur shouted "Oh my god!" as though there had been a big explosion and ring collapse. And then I half laughed at the ridiculous botch and half cringed in embarrassment.

Such a shame that a great match, and a really good show overall, will be largely forgotten because they fucked up the ending. But when you're going for a spectacular moment and don't pull it off, that's always what's going to be remembered. Still, I trust them to work it into the story, not try to hide from it looking awful and turn it into something decent. Also probably means the Omega/Mox feud has to continue because it can't really end on that note.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: BRen on March 08, 2021, 03:35:39 AM
Disappointed. Didn't deserve that level of hype.

What level? Big Show spending 10 seconds talking about it on tv, or TK spending 30 seconds talking about it on a podcast? We are the reason it was so hyped, talking about it all week on the internet, all they did was drop a couple of hints. Which were all accurate. We were worked perfectly. Sure, be disappointed if you're not a fan but he absolutely is worthy of whatever hype he got, from AEW's end anyway. He seemed to get a good crowd reaction too.

At least the Christian reveal didn't end up being the most disappointing thing on the show, either way. Got to feel for them, after all the hard work they put in, that was a harsh way for it to end. I genuinely thought they meant the sparklers at first because why would the timer still be going after the match had stopped? I thought something else was going to happen. But Excalibur and poor Eddie Kingston having to sell it made it clear what happened. But as a visual spectacle, it still worked, so there's that. Just not quite the way they intended.