Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:36:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Minor 6 Music Shake-Up

Started by Sebastian Cobb, April 03, 2021, 02:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Camp Tramp

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 04, 2021, 01:35:42 PM
Yes, it's funny how the NME launched all those presenting careers but MM did not. I wonder if Marijne van der Vlugt out of Britpop also rans, Salad feels the same injustice about Lauren Laverne.

Of course the MM writer who did make it is the most obnoxious of the lot.

iamcoop

No mentions for Gideon Coe?

I think he's better than Marc Riley these days.

As for Kershaw I always thought she came across as a horrible person but seeing her pop up on a news show doing the whole "I own a string of properties and increasing rights for tenants is a terrible thing, oh won't someone think of the poor poor millionaire landlords" routine she can get in grave even further.

With regards to Sean Keaveny if he's going to continue to be paid over 150k of license fee payers money per year I think the least he could do is freshen up the shtick that he has literally been peddling for decades now.

idunnosomename

Quote from: jobotic on April 04, 2021, 11:07:33 AM
Does Kershaw mention how refugees risking their lives are affecting house prices in Kingsdown ever? She should be on Times radio.
she is such a vile rotten racist and general opinionated bigot I'm surprised it hasn't got more mention here

https://twitter.com/LizKershawDJ/status/1079353427518545921

and this sort of shit
https://twitter.com/LizKershawDJ/status/1219321284405944320

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Camp Tramp on April 04, 2021, 01:37:45 PM
Of course the MM writer who did make it is the most obnoxious of the lot.

I take it you mean Caitlin Moran?

daf

Brundle-Fly

mobias

Quote from: iamcoop on April 04, 2021, 03:15:23 PM

With regards to Sean Keaveny if he's going to continue to be paid over 150k of license fee payers money per year I think the least he could do is freshen up the shtick that he has literally been peddling for decades now.

I absolutely don't get the appeal of Keaveny in the slightest. For me he's by far the most annoying DJ on 6 music. Its a real shame he's on the slot he is as the afternoon at my work (and I'm sure many peoples) really drags on and I could do with an engaging DJ at that time playing decent tunes. One of the things I miss about Radcliffe and Maconie on at that time is they did do really good interesting interviews with people - authors, musicians, people in the music industry and that sort of thing. I also discovered the joys of 'Sploosh' by Ozric Tentacles after Rad Mac repeatedly playing it. I enjoyed their angle on music. 

The Mollusk

Hi I'm Shaun Keaveny. Listen to me say something extremely dry and then pause the backing music and leave a hilariously uncomfortable silence after it. That never gets old.

Goldentony

mate shouted GIZ A JOB at Lamacq once, think it was just after he list his Radio 1 gig or something, would have made the most sense

good times

Glad to see some other people on this thread baffled by Chris Hawkins' existence on 6. The first couple of times I heard him I had to google to see who the hell he was to see if there was some sort of nepotism at play, he was that out of place. Turns out he's been there since the very launch of the station - baffling.

I'm off to read up on Liz Kershaw's antics given some of the comments on this thread, she's always been annoying as fuck - typical thick northerner bollocks (I'm northern) but didn't realise she was also potentially a nasty piece of work.

Can I just throw out there that every time I listen to Marc Riley I understand a little bit more why Mark E Smith gave him a slap, without being able to actually explain why.

iamcoop

Quote from: The Mollusk on April 04, 2021, 05:34:35 PM
Hi I'm Shaun Keaveny. Listen to me say something extremely dry and then pause the backing music and leave a hilariously uncomfortable silence after it. That never gets old.

Can't decide if it's the awkward silence or the "HA!" he does after it that's worse.

Interminable.

Anyway coming up after EMF we've got Matt Everitt with some exciting Shed Seven news.

The Mollusk

I do feel a bit bad for slagging off Keaveny since I was once a regular listener to his breakfast show about 15 years ago. I worked nights and I liked to come home and smoke a joint and zone out to the radio. I used to text in a lot and often they got read out. One day I got a phone call asking me if I wanted to be on Toast The Nation celebrating my little home town, which I did, and it was a lot of fun. I made a smart joke about how it's a pig town because it's the home of the Reliant Robin ("plastic pig"), the pure swine breed of Sandy Back pigs, and Robert Peel lived there for a while before he fucked off to London and invented the constabulary. This high calibre of intelligent wit earned me a place in Keaveny's autobiography mentioned as one of his favourite TTN callers.

Sebastian Cobb

I never texted proper radio (although have done on pirates) but Mary Anne Hobbs gave me and some others a couple of shout-outs because she used to post on a DnB forum I went on a little bit.

Is Keavney still expressing faux surprise that albums now come out on Fridays? That never gets old!

poo

It's fucking great and basically free.

popcorn

Intrigued by all the slagging off going on in this thread. I've been listening to 6Music randomly for years and I still don't know who any of the presenters are other than the bloke off Red Dwarf, oh and that boring old guy who seems to play the Fall exclusively and possibly was in the Fall, I'm not sure. I find a few new tracks to add to my Spotify likes each week.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

That 'boring old guy' is Marc Riley, and yes he was once in The Fall*. He was also once known as Lard, as in Mark & Lard, the Radio 1 dee-jays who hosted a magnificent late evening show in the '90s.

They proved so popular, Fab FM decided that they'd be perfect as breakfast show hosts. They weren't, if only because their sense of humour and good taste (they openly took the piss out of some of the music they were forced to play) was never going to appeal to the masses at that time of the morning. They were then shunted over to an afternoon slot, which was a much better fit, but they were still never able to recapture the magic of that 'anarchic' and rather esoteric late night show.

Riley is an endearing chap and a good broadcaster. I share his taste in psychedelic/garage-type music, so perhaps I'm biased.

* The only time I've ever heard him play The Fall was just after Mark E. Smith died, although I daresay he's played them on other occasions.

popcorn

Yes that's the chap. Thanks. He seems to play exactly the same song over and over and over again.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Fair enough. I like most of the music he plays.

AllisonSays

The only show I listen to religiously is Tom Ravenscroft, on the app. He's awkward and stilted and a profoundly bad interviewer, but I like his taste in music and the absence of forced gimmicks or features. Otherwise I sometimes stick it in in the kitchen but I feel like it's years since I listened to it regularly and it is the same presenters, the same bad crack and mostly the same records. My partner has an irrational violent hatred for people talking over music stings or beds, so she is constantly pissed off by it.

earl_sleek

Actually my least favourite thing about 6 Music is not any presenter but the trailers. They're all unmeasurably smug.

And the station idents. "6.... (massive, epochal gap)....Music."

Yeah, the jingles are awful, especially when the station is as milquetoast as it is. They are dangerously close to "Coming up... (massive gap) Tony Blackburn's Sounds of the Sixties. But first... (massive gap filled with low pass filtered version of his "big show" theme) Steve Wright... In the afternoo-si-si-six-six-BB-six-BC-six-BBC Six Music-noon. On BBC Six Music. Music. *whispering* BBC Six Music."

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: earl_sleek on April 05, 2021, 09:37:04 AM
Actually my least favourite thing about 6 Music is not any presenter but the trailers. They're all unmeasurably smug.

Yes, the usual sing-songy downward inflection and occasional vocal distortion to sound kooky. So corny now.

And I like Don Letts as much as the next person, but the way he self eulogises his love of ALL kinds of music is such a load of old wank. All the 6Music DJs declare this 'unique' quality. You're not special; most of the station's listeners love ALL kinds of music, that's why they tune in. 

And Don? Stop banging on about being in the West London punk/ reggae scene in the 1970s. I've seen your private photo collection more than my own holiday snaps. We know. You've been reminding us since 1986.

Chicory

There used to be a jingle where some bloke says "6... Mu... sic" and it sounded like he'd just been woken up and forced to read the words off a piece of paper at gunpoint.

Add me to the "Six....Music..." jingle hater list. They must play some form of it about 100 times a day.

I only ever listen while travelling between work sites for my job in a van so thankfully Keaveny just sounds like a low mumble backed by the Bergerac theme. MAH is another one I can't stand to listen to. Not because of her music tastes, more because of her dull as ditchwater voice and away with the fairy people chatter. Also the "Hey Mary, haven't heard this Napalm Death tune in years, am currently dancing around the kitchen to it, thanks!" messages can get in grave.

daf

I liked it when Mark and Lard used to interject little bits of business during the obligatory the radio 1 trailers :

"Evening" (Lard : "drinking") "Session"

PaulTMA

Even just reading this thread is giving me a nosebleed.  Can't believe anyone would leave it on for hours at a time

Janie Jones

Loved reading this thread, I was reading so many individual posts out to my partner, saying, 'Listen to this, it's spot on,' that I gave up and sent him the whole thread.

I'm not on Twitter and I can't do memes but if I could, I'd do some sort of happy air-punch with, 'That feeling you get when Huw Edwards [or Tom Ravenscroft] is sitting in for Steve Lamacq [or Hobbs]'

I think Craig Charles played a blinder sitting in for Lamacq for what seemed like the whole of Lockdown #1. Somehow he was just right for that strange time and the fact that he'd blithely play 5 records in a row by black female artists without any Lamacqian throat-clearing patronising fuss about strong women who know their own minds or other such bilge, was very refreshing. Knowing that CC was absolutely fucked the whole time didn't bother me (Radcliffe and Maconie aren't above making a barbed comment about his legendary intake of substances while broadcasting), likewise I don't mind Tom Robinson being the wrong side of a bottle of Malbec on most of his live shows, I will miss him.

Phil_A

Quote from: Chicory on April 05, 2021, 11:06:53 AM
There used to be a jingle where some bloke says "6... Mu... sic" and it sounded like he'd just been woken up and forced to read the words off a piece of paper at gunpoint.

There used to be a generic sting they used between shows which was very obviously just someone disinterestedly going "Hoooo-oooh-woooh-ooh-oooooh!" through a distortion filter, which always amused me as to how pathetic it was.

I really detest those stings/trailers as they just seem to me to be trying to enforce a "We're all part of the same big cuddly 6 Music family" atmosphere, which feeds into the thing of shows not really being allowed to have an individual identity as everything has to be part of the same "brand". Stuff like of every daytime DJ having to play "Album Of The Day" tracks even when it's music they clearly aren't interested in and wouldn't usually play. You can sense some of the presenters chafing against that, I'm sure Radcliffe & Maconie have made a few sly remarks about it over the years.

Although speaking of Maconie, it bugs me that for so many years he has completely dominated the "weird" music end of the station's output with the Freak Zone/Freakier Zone, and has often been remarked on, his surface-level knowledge on a lot of this stuff is extremely frustrating. I reckon someone like Charles Hazelwood would be great in that area, I remember his Radio 2 shows back in the day being wonderfully strange and eclectic.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on April 05, 2021, 11:13:48 AM
Also the "Hey Mary, haven't heard this Napalm Death tune in years, am currently dancing around the kitchen to it, thanks!"

You forgot to add "grinning like a loon", Poo.

Norton Canes

Liked the custom trailer they did for their Kraftwerk week a while ago, basically because when it said 'sechs music' it sounded like 'sex music'