Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:51:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Venture Bros original movie is coming

Started by madhair60, May 12, 2021, 05:34:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

it LIVES

https://deadline.com/2021/05/adult-swim-movies-for-aqua-teen-hunger-force-metalocalypse-the-venture-bros-1234754652/

i really really REALLY hope this wraps it up. I really want this series to get an actual ending. It deserves it

The Mollusk

Fucking holy sweet bastard shit. Having quite the shit time of it in my personal life these last couple weeks so this is really fantastic news.

chveik

amateur

Great news! I'll be watching this for sure.

Egyptian Feast

Fucking hell! I'm finding this hard to believe. The Venture Bros film is enough of a cause for celebration, but I thought the ship had sailed on Metalocalypse getting a proper ending. It was aggravating that both shows were cancelled as they appeared to be coming to a natural conclusion. This really is fantastic news.

I thought ATHF ended quite well by definitively concluding the 'story' in the penultimate episode, then immediately hitting the reset button and putting out a standard episode as the finale. It's not as exciting a prospect as the other two, but I'll happily give it a watch, especially if we're going to get another new theme tune.

willbo

I've never seen any adult swim cartoons though I always meant to as I like the images in memes. Is venture the superhero one?

Ant Farm Keyboard

Venture Bros was cancelled for two reasons.
Mike Lazzo who had championed the show at Adult Swim retired a few months ago.
WarnerMedia now enforces a corporate-wide strategy to put everything on their streaming service, HBO Max. But Adult Swim had already sold the rights of the show to Hulu for a few years, and the deal included potential new seasons. Followup films or spin-offs weren't included in the contract however.

Sherman Krank

Quote from: willbo on May 12, 2021, 06:50:34 PM
I've never seen any adult swim cartoons though I always meant to as I like the images in memes. Is venture the superhero one?
Yes it's superheroes/villains but it subverts the genre by mostly focusing on their insecurities and with mundane everyday problems often getting in the way of the superhero/villain stuff.

Blumf

Knowing how long Doc and Jackson took on the show, how much time are we talking about here? Two decades?

Also, can't believe ATHF are getting a second film. Epic

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Blumf on May 13, 2021, 10:26:01 AM
Knowing how long Doc and Jackson took on the show, how much time are we talking about here? Two decades?

Word has it they had a lot of the remaining story mapped out ready, and it seemed the last season was gearing up for a conclusion. So... one decade maybe?

NoSleep

NoSleep

Quote from: willbo on May 12, 2021, 06:50:34 PM

There's superheroes, superscientists, but, best of all, there are supervillains and arch-enemies. Know your arching rights.

madhair60

NoSleep

I'm rewatching it all the time, so fire it up.

AsparagusTrevor

I started a (pretty slow) rewatch a couple of weeks ago. I'm up to episode 9.

Small Man Big Horse

There's been a (small) news update, I'll put the link in a spoiler tag though what it reveals isn't that exciting:

Spoiler alert

The thing which pleased me a lot was that they're already recording dialogue, so presumably have finished the script and will send it off to be animated soon, which might mean we get the movie in 2022 if we're lucky.

NoSleep

Spoiler alert
Hardly a spoiler that Shoreleave will be in it; more like that was guaranteed.
[close]

Dickie_Anders

I've been watching through this recently for the first time, I'm about half-way through Season 3 I think. The Scooby Doo episode in particular I loved. I've just saw the one where they go to the jungle and meet a family of British female counterparts and I found that extremely funny, too.

I like its attention to continuity and the way it makes the characters feel weirdly real, even though they're often so exaggerated and absurd. I also like how utterly unlikeable their Dad is and how cruel and cynical the humour of the show is in general. Don't really like superhero stuff generally but yeah it's a good show, will keep watching

Egyptian Feast

Sorry to bump an ancient thread, but wasn't sure whether this update on the progress of the finale was worth starting a new one. Exciting news anyway. I look forward to binging the whole lot again before it comes out.

Mister Six

I really ought to get back to my rewatch because I missed the last couple of seasons. That first season is such a slog compared to what follows though. I'll just skip to S2.

Jumblegraws

Quote from: Mister Six on February 16, 2023, 02:58:12 PMI really ought to get back to my rewatch because I missed the last couple of seasons. That first season is such a slog compared to what follows though. I'll just skip to S2.
I always start at start at Season 1's "Tag Sale, You're It!" when I rewatch

madhair60

Quote from: Mister Six on February 16, 2023, 02:58:12 PMI really ought to get back to my rewatch because I missed the last couple of seasons. That first season is such a slog compared to what follows though. I'll just skip to S2.

entirely true though S1 took on new importance/relevance as of S7. Tag Sale is a good shout, or maybe Ghosts of the Sargasso

Pink Gregory

Are these likely to stay on All4 for the forseeable?  Managed to get the DVD of the first 3 series but it seems like Yolo Silver Destiny got unceremoniously yanked the other day (which I now can't watch anywhere else) so I don't know if licenses are running out.

Mister Six

Quote from: madhair60 on February 16, 2023, 04:24:54 PMentirely true though S1 took on new importance/relevance as of S7. Tag Sale is a good shout, or maybe Ghosts of the Sargasso

Are those the bare minimum of what I should watch to click with S7? I did watch all this stuff before, but it was - fuck! - about 20 years ago now.

madhair60

honestly? i think you'd be fine. you can always Wiki stuff.

I think it's mostly episode 2, "Careers in Science", that becomes super important.

Mister Six

Oh I can remember that one. I think the on/off/blinking exchange was the first massive laugh the series got out of me. Cheers! I'm good to go.

NoSleep

There's stuff all the way through Season 1 that interlaces with stuff in the later seasons. The big one is S01E02 Careers In Science which has a massive multi-episode callback in Season 7. Another much-lesser one (an interesting cameo) occurs around S01E02 The Incredible Mr Brisby. The single most important episode of Season 1, before venturing into Season 2, is the finale.

You definitely need to watch the Season 1 finale, but, after watching through to the end of Season 7, you'll probably find a watch-through of Season 1 more entertaining for all the little callbacks.

Some incredible new characters (some of my favourites) in Season 6 & 7.

Mister Six

Brisby is... something to do with a fella who had a stroke and can't stop smiling right? That's all I can remember about that. Okay, I'll clock that and then get on with S2.

NoSleep

Brisby is not an essential one. Just one amongst many other little callbacks. He's modelled on Walt Disney (most of the episode happens in his Brisbyland) and maybe a smattering of Howard Hughes. It wasn't a stroke that caused his ghoulish transfixed smile and made him wheelchair bound; it was an accident involving an animatronic Abraham Lincoln at Brisbyland.

a peepee tipi

First look + title drop. No exact release date yet, still TBA 2023