Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:59:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Taskmaster series 12

Started by Wayman C. McCreery, May 20, 2021, 01:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on May 20, 2021, 03:58:07 PMI'd put my money on Tarbuck to win.

I'll bet you £50,000 she won't.

BritishHobo

Interesting cast. Victoria Coren-Mitchell is dream Taskmaster contestant for me, I think she's brilliant. Always love on Only Connect how committed she is to whatever bit she's doing. I think she'll have a brilliant, unexpected approach to a lot of the tasks.

Alan Davies I've always found fairly affable on QI, be intrigued to see what he's like in the tasks. It is the great leveller this show isn't it, because you can't have a persona, even if you try - inevitably you can only be yourself.

I always remember being really irritated by Morgana Robinson's bits on Charlie Brooker's Weekly Wipe, mainly because I was very defensive of Russell Brand at that time, and took an immediate dislike to anyone making the obvious swipes at him. But I loved her in House of Fools. And I always have it with Taskmaster that I refuse to go in disliking anyone, for their comedy or anyone else.

Don't know Burch or Kahn, but again, this is why I love Taskmaster, because it's a good opportunity to get familiar with people you don't really know. And I've never disliked anyone because everyone ends up being completely self-aware, even if they start out cocky and arrogant. It's a great show for getting to see the joy of people's personalities.

I'M IN.

cacciaguida

Quote from: BritishHobo on May 20, 2021, 06:14:54 PM

Alan Davies I've always found fairly affable on QI, be intrigued to see what he's like in the tasks. It is the great leveller this show isn't it, because you can't have a persona, even if you try - inevitably you can only be yourself.

I see a lot of people in this thread who are fairly unoptimisitc about Davies, and I can understand why (cushy job on QI, didn't do stand-up for years and years, never did anything interesting or funny or new etc...)

But interestingly (maybe), I have grown to be a big fan of his as a result of listening to his Tuesday Club podcast about Arsenal.

He's funny, at times, but much more importantly than that, you actually get a sense of the man behind the persona.

He is so passionately devoted to his football club that he appears as himself first and foremost, and as comedy persona second.

As a result, he is much more likeable and much funnier.

Hopefully, we see that side to him on TM as you suggest. Although I doubt that many of the tasks will be about Arsenal so he might just revert to QI's TV funnyman Alan Davies...

Mr Trumpet

I want him to approach all the tasks in the persona of Jonathan Creek.

Hang about, wouldn't Caroline Quentin be a great contestant?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I don't like the way Davies says "chocolate" as "choc-lit". Other than that, I have no particular opinion of him.

up_the_hampipe

Greg better be nice to Alan Davies or he might get his ear bitten.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on May 20, 2021, 11:19:05 PMI don't like the way Davies says "chocolate" as "choc-lit". Other than that, I have no particular opinion of him.

Cho-clit

cacciaguida

Quote from: Mr Trumpet on May 20, 2021, 11:06:26 PM
I want him to approach all the tasks in the persona of Jonathan Creek.

Hang about, wouldn't Caroline Quentin be a great contestant?

Fucking yes that's a class shout. To both points.

Though actually would quite like them to both be in persona.

Maddie Magellan and JC as a team on tasks would be carnage

Ambient Sheep

Guz Khan is on tonight's repeat of WILTY S13E04 on BBC1 at 20:05, if anybody wants to check him out.  That's probably where I've seen him before, come to think of it.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: cacciaguida on May 21, 2021, 01:58:44 AMMaddie Magellan and JC as a team on tasks would be carnage

Totally.

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on May 21, 2021, 04:00:05 AM
Guz Khan is on tonight's repeat of WILTY S13E04 on BBC1 at 20:05, if anybody wants to check him out.  That's probably where I've seen him before, come to think of it.

Man Like Mobeen is the obvious starting point for Guz Khan. It's an alright sitcom.

The Roofdog

Davies isn't that bad if you ignore QI is he? It's just that that's all he's done for about 15 years.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: The Roofdog on May 21, 2021, 06:56:05 AM
Davies isn't that bad if you ignore QI is he? It's just that that's all he's done for about 15 years.

Nah, he's a terrible stand up. Only became popular through Jonathan Creek and only got the QI gig because he did some adverts with John Lloyd.

MigraineBoy

According to Alex on the latest Taskmaster podcast:

Victoria Coren Mitchell: "Different to anyone we've ever had before. Really approaches things with a logic that Greg can't cope with."
Alan Davies: "On the first day he was in the caravan doing something and remembers thinking 'maybe this isn't for me'."
Guz Khan: "Someone we've caught at exactly the right time."
Desiree Birch: "A real star of the series."
Morgana Robinson: "A force of nature."

Out in September.

turnstyle

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on May 21, 2021, 06:33:55 AM
Man Like Mobeen is the obvious starting point for Guz Khan. It's an alright sitcom.

Quote there for the DVD.

amateur

I've never seen Victoria Coren Mitchell move (sat and standing on Only Connect), so excited for that.

Virgo76

Was guessing possible contestants for this throughout yesterday's episode. Came up with about twenty.
I didn't get one!
A good lineup though and know them all for once.
Early prediction: Desiree Burch will win.

BeardFaceMan

Now VCM is appearing it makes it even more strange that David Mitchell has never been on, what with his general ubiquitousness on panel shows, thought he would have been a shoe-in to appear. Mind you, it's taken until now to get Mike Wozniak on and he was the winner of the original Edinburgh TM shows, so who knows.

Old Thrashbarg

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on May 21, 2021, 10:23:00 AM
Now VCM is appearing it makes it even more strange that David Mitchell has never been on, what with his general ubiquitousness on panel shows, thought he would have been a shoe-in to appear. Mind you, it's taken until now to get Mike Wozniak on and he was the winner of the original Edinburgh TM shows, so who knows.

Robert Webb for series 13?

Virgo76

David Mitchell was one of my guesses.
Along with Maisie Adams, Jayde Adams, Sue Perkins. Kevin Eldon, Richard Ayoade, Dara, Tom Allen. And some others.

greencalx

I only have previous with Davies and Coren-Mitchell. Alex's comment about the latter is encouraging, the former worrying. We've been blasting our way through Jonathan Creek while the whole lot's on iPlayer and I like him in that. There were many more things that annoyed me about QI than Davies' contributions (the theme tune, mostly) so we'll see...

Unfortunately due to Fringe shows being a rare luxury since the onset of child I am not up-to-date with current circuit comedians, so it's often TM that's breaking them to me.

In the history of TM there's only been 1.5 contestants I've actively disliked, which is a pretty high strike rate (97% if you're wondering). I've more often been disappointed by someone who I thought would fit the format well (Tim Vine and Dave Gorman spring to mind) who put in so-so performances.

We've just got the finale of S10 to go to catch up with the main series. I might do a write-up of this binge watch (somewhat extended, started just before Christmas) if I can be arsed and can come up with anything more intelligent to say than "I laughed". However it's impressive that, bar a couple of duff runs and the odd rubbish task, the quality has kept up over 400+ tasks.

Bad Ambassador

Updated overall list of average points per episode:

Roisin Conaty      11.3
Katherine Parkinson   11.8
Charlotte Ritchie   12.5
David Baddiel      12.8
Paul Chowdhry      13.2
Phil Wang              13.3
Nish Kumar      13.4
Paul Sinha              13.6
Jamali Maddix      13.7
Joe Wilkinson      13.8
Johnny Vegas      13.9
Sian Gibson      14.3
Sarah Pascoe      14.4
Tim Key         14.7
Joe Thomas      15
Lee Mack              15.1
Mawaan Rizwan      15.1
Alice Levine      15.2
Mike Wozniak      15.4
Jo Brand              15.4
Frank Skinner      15.5
Romesh Ranganathan   15.5
Doc Brown              15.6
Iain Sterling      15.6
Lolly Adefope      15.63
Aisling Bea      15.75
Katy Wix              15.8
Daisy May Cooper   15.8
Sarah Kendall      15.8
Asim Chaudhry      15.9
Rose Matafeo      15.9
Al Murray              16
Bob Mortimer      16
Hugh Dennis      16.1
Dave Gorman      16.2
Richard Herring      16.2
Mark Watson      16.3
Sally Phillips      16.3
Josh Widdecombe   16.38
Lou Sanders      16.4
James Acaster      16.5
Rhod Gilbert      16.7
Ed Gamble      16.7
Mel Giedroyc      16.8
Joe Lycett              16.9
Russell Howard      17
Richard Osman      17.2
Tim Vine              17.5
Jessica Knappett   17.5
Rob Beckett      17.57
Noel Fielding      17.6
Kerry Godliman      17.6
Jon Richardson      18
Liza Tarbuck      18.1
Katherine Ryan      18.4

holyzombiejesus

I know we have the wishlists before every series reveal but I can't think of many things in the world that would make me happier than Daniel Kitson on Taskmaster. Also surprised no Adam Buxton yet.

JamesTC

Each series tends to have two big hitters at least. You need to spread them out.

vainsharpdad

A Big Hitters Series

Jack Dee
Richard Ayoade
David Mitchell
Dara O'Briain
Paul Merton

holyzombiejesus

Frankie Boyle was asked, wasn't he? Shame he turned it down as I think he'd have been really good.

I don't usually listen to the podcast because it's really boring, but gave the latest one a go seeing as Alex was the guest. He was talking the series 12 lineup up a lot and pretty much said that the chemistry between them was like no other series, partly due to it being the only one completely filmed during lockdown.

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 21, 2021, 01:43:04 PM
Frankie Boyle was asked, wasn't he? Shame he turned it down as I think he'd have been really good.

Yeah, he mentioned it on New World Order. Ayoade has definitely been asked before but they couldn't make the timing work. I don't know anything about Rhys James, but I'd expect him to turn up in a series after he tweeted then deleted a photo from the house about six months ago

It surprises me that they always manage to keep future contestants a secret given that at least a bit of every series has been filmed in a public place (though I think the only example of that from series 11 was Lee and the woman in the car).

Quote from: vainsharpdad on May 21, 2021, 01:12:41 PM
A Big Hitters Series

Jack Dee
Richard Ayoade
David Mitchell
Dara O'Briain
Paul Merton

God that'd be miserable.

vainsharpdad

Oh yes a crap mix if they were all in the same series - but all people I'm pretty sure Alex would love to get.

greencalx

Found myself wondering a couple of times how Chris Morris would approach it...

I wouldn't be shocked to see Margaret Cabourn-Smith pop up at some point, she's a superfan, she really wants to do it and she's always great.