Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:45:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tennis 2021. Just a load of balls.

Started by Deanjam, January 18, 2021, 04:51:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

selectivememory

Djokovic is in a fifth set now against Fritz after leading 2-0. Seems a bit injured, but you never know with him.

selectivememory

Quote from: selectivememory on February 12, 2021, 11:51:23 AM
Thiem just looks so solid these days.

Loses his next match in straight sets, naturally.

Always like to see Dimitrov doing well though. Good chance of making a semifinal here at least, and if Djokovic genuinely is injured (though he looks fine at the moment against Raonic), who knows who makes it out of that half of the draw.   

selectivememory

Tsitsipas has come back from two sets down against Nadal. Did the same against Djokovic at the French last year as well. Hopefully he can go on to win this one though.

selectivememory

Does it. Really impressive comeback. Tough match for him next though in Medvedev, who is in great form and has a 5-1 head-to-head against him.

Semifinals:

Osaka-Serena
Brady-Muchova

Djokovic-Karatsev[nb]Ranked 114, aged 27, in his first ever main draw of a major[/nb]
Tsitsipas-Medvedev

A lot of injuries on the men's side this year, which partly accounts for the qualifier Karatsev making the semis. I don't really buy that Djokovic is as injured as he's making out, but I dunno, I feel like this is as good a chance as any for Medvedev to win his first slam. Would love it though if Tsitsipas went all the way.

On the women's side, the Osaka-Serena match kind of feels like the real final. Can't see Osaka not winning the title if she gets through it. But given Serena's recent record in finals I wouldn't be surprised to see her swat Osaka aside and then lose tamely to Brady or Muchova. She did play incredibly well against Halep though.

Deanjam

Osaka really seems to have Serena's number. Still expect Williams to win another major before she's done though. Just want her to equal Court's 24 so we can officially forget her.

druss

Serena should change her name to Serena Racket or Ball if she's going to break Court's record.

buttgammon

Not only is she an arsehole but Court had the distinct advantage of being an Aussie player at a time when a lot of the top players didn't travel to play in the Australian Open.

selectivememory

Bit of an underwhelming final, but a fourth major title for Osaka. First player to reach that landmark for a while. Reckon she'll still win quite a few more from here, especially if she can play this well on grass and clay.

Quite looking forward to the men's final. I do fancy Medvedev's chances. If he plays his best it's going to be a really tough match for Djokovic.

Deanjam

Yeah, if Osaka can find her feet on clay & grass then she's gonna run up some pretty impressive numbers of the next few years, especially as women's tennis is in something of a transitional period away from Serena's dominance.

Hopefully Medvedev can put in a performance tomorrow. He is playing with something of a swagger at the moment, but this is Djokovic's best tournament, so it'll be tough. Would be the first 'new' men's slam champion since Cilic in 2014!

Deanjam

Quote from: FredNurke on February 20, 2021, 12:06:14 PM
Thiem won the US last year.

I completely forgot about that. Covid-era tennis is leaving no impression on me at all.

Blue Jam

Watching some highlights on Eurosport now. I did laugh at Djokovic being menaced in the face by a butterfly. His own RONALADO moth moment.

selectivememory

Damn. Medvedev wilting a bit under the pressure. Djokovic has been fine but hardly at his best, but it looks like it'll be enough.

selectivememory

Probably the most one-sided Australian Open final since one of the Djokovic-Murray ones. Very disappointing and subdued performance from Medvedev after the run he's been on.

Ninth Aussie Open/18th major for Djokovic. So bored of the big three now.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: selectivememory on February 21, 2021, 10:43:00 AM
Probably the most one-sided Australian Open final since one of the Djokovic-Murray ones. Very disappointing and subdued performance from Medvedev after the run he's been on.

Ninth Aussie Open/18th major for Djokovic. So bored of the big three now.

ha ha ha. I was bored a decade ago. I only enjoyed the early Federer years to be honest. All sport has become like this. Should make sport amateur again. Those were the days.

selectivememory

Lol. Fucking hell. Djokovic fans in the crowd booing one of the speakers in the trophy presentation for mentioning vaccines. 

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Shit mental weaklings grovelling beneath their towering superiors. Pathetic.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteMeanwhile, the ATP has announced that prize money will be increased at lower-ranked tournaments as part of a financial support package amid the coronavirus pandemic.

ATP 250 and ATP 500 events will see winnings rise from 50% of pre-Covid totals to 80% and 60% respectively up until Wimbledon, which is due to take place from 28 June to 11 July.

The extra £3.72m will come from money that ordinarily goes to the top 12 players at the end of the season.

They should be doing that anyway, cunts. Top players don't need financial incentives to compete in major tournaments.

Deanjam

Dan Evans is having a big week in Monte Carlo. Through to the semi-finals with a big win over Djokovic in round 3, and followed it up with a win over Goffin today. Plays Tsitsipas for a place in the final.

rjd2

He was never ever going to win a Slam, but he could have a Simon type career if he has not been suck a fuckwit.

Deanjam

Yeah, clearly talented enough to have had a better career than he has had so far. His style of attacking tennis is so unusual these days that when it's on a lot of players don't know how to deal with it.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Might still do something with his career in the next 3 years or so if he applies himself. Only 30 so should be reaching his prime.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 17, 2021, 02:48:55 PM
Might still do something with his career in the next 3 years or so if he applies himself. Only 30 so should be reaching his prime.

Living his best life.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/tennis/57085534

Oh dear, is it Djokovic being a tantrum throwing manbaby again? Why yes, he can't just walk up to a man and ask politely why they're still playing when it's raining heavily.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

selectivememory

Dominic Thiem out in the first round of the French. To be fair, it looks like he's been in dismal form for a while now, so it's not the huge upset it would ordinarily be.

Wide open now for Tsitsipas to make his first major final, with both Nadal and Djokovic in the other half of the draw.

BlodwynPig

Steady on, he's got to get past 50 year old Jeremy Chardy first!

French tennis is in dismal form these days.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 12, 2021, 12:28:08 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/tennis/57085534

Oh dear, is it Djokovic being a tantrum throwing manbaby again? Why yes, he can't just walk up to a man and ask politely why they're still playing when it's raining heavily.

I suppose you and everyone else here has seen Piers Morgan attacking Naomi Osaka over not wanting to do press interviews and then pulling out of the French Open? Claiming she was using mental health issues "as an excuse"? Well, it has been pointed out to him that he's a hypocrite for not calling out Djokovic on his tantrums and Covid-denialism and refusals to do interviews over the years.

Was thinking of starting a thread on Piers Moron's casual dismissal of mental illness and bizarrely obsessive hatred of strong women of colour but he'd only find it and wank himself dry.

buttgammon

Quote from: Blue Jam on June 01, 2021, 02:57:02 PM
I suppose you and everyone else here has seen Piers Morgan attacking Naomi Osaka over not wanting to do press interviews and then pulling out of the French Open? Claiming she was using mental health issues "as an excuse"? Well, it has been pointed out to him that he's a hypocrite for not calling out Djokovic on his tantrums and Covid-denialism and refusals to do interviews over the years.

Was thinking of starting a thread on Piers Moron's casual dismissal of mental illness and bizarrely obsessive hatred of strong women of colour but he'd only find it and wank himself dry.

Absolute shitbaggery as usual.

When they first started to threaten Osaka with penalties for not doing interviews, one of the first things I thought of was Djokovic. He organised a series of tournaments in the Balkans that had no social distancing for spectators or players and led to people getting the virus and has repeatedly used has platform to peddle antivax drivel, all with no consequences.

selectivememory

Good article on the whole debacle here. I hope Osaka comes back soon. This has been a massive own-goal by the press and the authorities who run the grand slams. Osaka is the biggest breakout tennis star in a decade, and they've essentially bullied her into withdrawing from the tournament.