Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:55:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tennis 2021. Just a load of balls.

Started by Deanjam, January 18, 2021, 04:51:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjd2

Quote from: Blue Jam on June 01, 2021, 02:57:02 PM
I suppose you and everyone else here has seen Piers Morgan attacking Naomi Osaka over not wanting to do press interviews and then pulling out of the French Open? Claiming she was using mental health issues "as an excuse"? Well, it has been pointed out to him that he's a hypocrite for not calling out Djokovic on his tantrums and Covid-denialism and refusals to do interviews over the years.

Was thinking of starting a thread on Piers Moron's casual dismissal of mental illness and bizarrely obsessive hatred of strong women of colour but he'd only find it and wank himself dry.

He did criticise Novak for the coronavirus clubbing though to be fair. Morgan is terrible obviously, but its unfair to suggest he has never said anything negative about Novak.

Ladies side of this very open, looks like Saba may finally put it together to a final as that side of the draw is so weak. Arguably the Sharapova twin her biggest obstacle before a final with most likely Swiatek.

Nadal v Tsitispas/ Zverev/ Ruud looks like the men's final.

selectivememory

I remember Morgan saying some really nasty things about Cilic during the Wimbledon final a few years ago. It's true that Cilic played very badly that day, but it was really unnecessarily personal and judgemental.

I think he just actively seeks out the most repellent takes sometimes for the attention. He's no better than a Katie Hopkins really.

chveik

Quote from: selectivememory on June 01, 2021, 03:33:02 PM
Good article on the whole debacle here. I hope Osaka comes back soon. This has been a massive own-goal by the press and the authorities who run the grand slams. Osaka is the biggest breakout tennis star in a decade, and they've essentially bullied her into withdrawing from the tournament.

i feel like the worst of it was other players having a go at her

Deanjam

Frustrating, but not surprising to see such attitutes from people. They play lip service to mental health issues, but they don't really care. It's one player saying she doesn't wasnt to do media for one tournament and they act like it's the end of the world. And the she's-rich-so-can't-have-bad-mental-health crowd can fuck off too.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteI think he just actively seeks out the most repellent takes sometimes for the attention

Crazy how during his GMB period some people forgot this.

rjd2

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on June 01, 2021, 08:03:53 PM
Crazy how during his GMB period some people forgot this.

An equal opportunity cunt.

Anyway this is very sad times for French tennis, nothing at all coming through and the oldies absolutely finished.

Gasquet getting absolutely slaughtered by Rafa.

chveik

Quote from: rjd2 on June 03, 2021, 08:36:10 PM
Gasquet getting absolutely slaughtered by Rafa.

yeah not watching this, it must be pretty painful

BlodwynPig

No french players in third round. Perhaps mens doubles. Fucking the new GB of tennis

Oh. Already mentioned. Im trying to find articles discussing the decline but nowt, at least in English. Garcia fucked it up

rjd2

Water is wet, fire is hot and Saba blows up early in a slam where she was 2nd fav.

Didn't even bother entering the doubles this time with Mertens.

rjd2

Quote from: BlodwynPig on June 04, 2021, 07:07:47 AM
No french players in third round. Perhaps mens doubles. Fucking the new GB of tennis

Oh. Already mentioned. Im trying to find articles discussing the decline but nowt, at least in English. Garcia fucked it up

Santaro and Bartoli were asked on ITV4 and gave incredibly boring answers.

bgmnts

39 and just had to pull out of Roland Garros after a year of rehab on two knee surgeries.

Surely Federer has to be done now? Or is he going to play until his knees just snap on the court?

selectivememory

I think he just wanted some matches under his belt before the grass and doesn't want to jeopardise his chances by overplaying at a tournament he knows he's not going to win. Be easier to judge all this after we see how well he does at Wimbledon.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: rjd2 on June 04, 2021, 01:46:46 PM
Santaro and Bartoli were asked on ITV4 and gave incredibly boring answers.

what did they say?

selectivememory

So this Musetti kid looks pretty good, doesn't he?

selectivememory

^ok, he's been pretty dire since the moment I posted that. Looks fatigued. But an impressive first couple of sets nonetheless.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: bgmnts on June 07, 2021, 02:06:33 AM

Surely Federer has to be done now? Or is he going to play until his knees just snap on the court?

To be fair though that can happen at any age. People's sporting careers are put on hold or ended in their 20s all the time due to ACL. Might as well keep going if he's still better than most.

selectivememory

I like them both, but I'm happy to see Tsitsipas win that one over Medvedev. I think it's the third slam semifinal in a row for him, hopefully he can push on through to his first major final now.

Also hoping to see a Coco-Swiatek semifinal on the women's side. Honestly ready for some more consistent women's champions, and Swiatek looks like she could dominate this tournament in the next few years. Should be winning this one from here with the rest of the field as it is now (edit: apparently at least three first-time semi-finalists, and four if Swiatek manages to lose her QF).

BlodwynPig

Quote from: selectivememory on June 08, 2021, 10:39:59 PM
I like them both, but I'm happy to see Tsitsipas win that one over Medvedev. I think it's the third slam semifinal in a row for him, hopefully he can push on through to his first major final now.

Also hoping to see a Coco-Swiatek semifinal on the women's side. Honestly ready for some more consistent women's champions, and Swiatek looks like she could dominate this tournament in the next few years. Should be winning this one from here with the rest of the field as it is now (edit: apparently at least three first-time semi-finalists, and four if Swiatek manages to lose her QF).

Why? Honest question. Why do you strive for hegemony?

selectivememory

Eh, I think there's a balance to be found. I have enjoyed the last few years on the WTA. I think there's been a lot of depth, and no champions I'd describe as flukey, but at the same time there's not really been a truly outstanding generational talent (though I think Osaka, Swiatek and Andreescu all have potential there). It's certainly been more compelling than the men's game, which for me since around 2017 has just gotten incredibly stale at the top. And I don't necessarily want to see big three-style dominance. But I do like a good rivalry in tennis, and there hasn't really been one in the the women's game for while, and you need a few players to be consistently going deep in the majors for them to develop.

I mean, if you hate seeing the same players in the latter stages of the tournaments, I get why you'd not want to see it (and I know you were bored of the big three before they were even a thing), but if there are three or four players making the latter stages more often than not, I wouldn't call that hegemony exactly. It depends on how entertaining those players are as well, but I think the three aforementioned players are all pretty dynamic and fun to watch, and there are others too who could break through.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Agreed, you want a core of established players who are favourites and hopefully evenly matched so there are great head to heads, with some outside of that who on their day can take someone down. Since Murray left and Wawrinka peaked and fell away, and Nadal/Djokovic returned to kill everyone, it has felt quite stale at times. I'm basically done with them winning anything else until they are 40 years old or something where it might be interesting again. They also make the young guys look mediocre rather than actually worthy replacements.

When a slam winner appears to be picked by tombola and that happens 10 times out of 12 it does slightly detract from the importance, stakes etc of the game itself. Women's tennis, Osaka aside, has been going through that.

selectivememory

Well, after I've talked up her chances, Swiatek is up against it today. Looks like it might well be four first-time semi-finalists after all.

selectivememory

Diego's doing well today. Been a bit under the radar this year, but he's one of the few people who Nadal never looks entirely comfortable against on clay. Not the first time he's taken a set off him at RG.

selectivememory

Well, that second women's semi-final was pretty great. Be lucky if any of the remaining matches this tournament are as good as that one was.

selectivememory

Ah, if Tsitsipas loses this from two sets up I'm going to be annoyed.

chveik

selectivememory

Definitely one of their better recent matches. Djokovic probably should have wrapped up the third set by now though.

Although apparently the crowd are going to have to leave in half an hour, which might suck some of the energy out of it.

selectivememory

Quote from: selectivememory on June 11, 2021, 09:29:43 PM
Although apparently the crowd are going to have to leave in half an hour, which might suck some of the energy out of it.

Oh, apparently not. The French authorities have decided to allow them to stay out after curfew.

chveik

selectivememory

Well, there it is. Nadal's third defeat in 108 French Open matches. That's got to be one of Djokovic's career best performances, although Nadal looked completely exhausted in the fourth set.

Didn't see that coming after he lost the first five games of the match.

Age finally catching up with Rafa, or Novak's on better drugs.

Novak heading for GOAT status given how many surfaces he's beaten the other members of the Big 4 on.