Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:14:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

strange facts about Noel's House Party

Started by willbo, July 30, 2021, 11:23:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

willbo

just been reading this blog post about NHP- https://franticplanet.wordpress.com/2018/10/24/noels-house-party-first-last/

shocked by these -

as Noel clicks his fingers and cuts to the living room of a viewer, where he's installed a hidden camera...You can't mention NTV without the urban legend of Chris Evans' appearance, which went unbroadcast when he started having a wank over Baywatch. ... Carole's Gotcha, when they paused the tape at the moment Carole began to undress, with a big CENSORED bar, having legitimately filmed her getting changed with hidden cameras, and then had a big laugh about it, with Noel acting disappointed we didn't see anything. Although if Evans was filmed masturbating, they should have aired it, as karma for the time he played hidden camera footage of his female producer urinating on the final episode of Don't Forget Your Toothbrush. Good old nineties.

I remember all this from watching as a kid. But I can't believe it was ok to secretly film celebs (or anyone), especially getting changed, even then.

in 1994, a franchised Blobby, running amok during a promotional event at an ice rink, broke a bystander's nose by smashing their face through a trophy case. The resulting lawsuit, and a separate incident where a Blobby was punched by an angry father after destroying a child's birthday cake, caused the BBC to ban outside use of rogue Blobbies for public appearances.

don't remember hearing about any of that but it would have been hilarious and terrifying to see

idunnosomename

BLOBBY!!!!!

the most amazing thing is that this fucking rubbish show dominated Saturday evenings for the whole 90s, running from October [except first series, which ran from November] to March for EIGHT YEARS, 1991/2 to 1998/9

The 3 January 1998 episode of series 7 was cancelled after a disagreement between Noel the BBC, they had to bung a best of from the previous October instead.

non capisco

I've brought this up before on here many a time and oft but I remain flabbergasted there actually was a 'Gotchaland' theme park where the theme was "ahaha, fooled you that you were going to have a nice day out, it's actually shit." Alarm bells really should have started ringing about Noel then. The man's monstrous ego had finally outstripped all basic sense of reason and the slalom into an era of his life where he'd start offering to ring up people's pets for a chat had begun.

I love that blog by the way, Stuart Millard is one of my lockdown discovery heroes and I really should chuck him some Patreon scrilla one of these days.

willbo

I'm definitely gonna get one of his books at one point - the one about wrestling and martial arts weirdness on tv (the title is something about Steven Segal)

Enzo

Quote from: non capisco on July 30, 2021, 11:43:42 PM

I love that blog by the way, Stuart Millard is one of my lockdown discovery heroes and I really should chuck him some Patreon scrilla one of these days.

His youtube channel is an absolute goldmine too https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLpMZhBhgvHelrd8QkfIjhg

Video Game Fan 2000

Remember Edmonds getting noticeably passive aggressive and the camera getting a second of his serious face when the audience didn't explode with laughter over one of the clearly scripted adlibs. Doing his bad fake corpse then snarling a bit at the guest in the doorway if it didn't land and it rarely did. "That wasn't supposed to happen!" through bared teeth. Deeply cringeworthy even as a kid.

And when it was the woman off Allo Allo at the door the wrong wrong wrong alarms'd go off full blast. Didn't he use to have Linda Lusardi on as well? Dirty rotter.

Mr Banlon

non capisco

Quote from: Enzo on July 30, 2021, 11:59:49 PM
His youtube channel is an absolute goldmine too https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLpMZhBhgvHelrd8QkfIjhg

I have just put my money where my maaaaf is and chucked his Patreon some of my hard earned coin. Lo and behold, the first unlocked item is a video essay about Noel's Multi Coloured Swap Shop. Money well spent, I reckon. Reading and enjoying the back catalogue of that blog helped stop my brain from leaking out of my ears during the terrifying and boring plague year and a half. 

willbo

I'd also totally forgotton about that "Cilla unmasks an undercover reporter" incident in Blind Date!

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

This feller is also one of the boys and girls of CaB , of course. Just been looking at his YouTube channel: his attempt to dissect every single episode of Cannon & Ball's long running residency on ITV appears to have stalled after the second show , but he had me helpless with laughter ( on the " Saturday Superstore" segment) by deft deployment of the phrase " a Glam Rock Fred West".

ETA: Didn't notice Mr. Banlon's post before putting this up. It *is* a cracking phrase though. That whole Saturday Superstore bit is worth viewing, if only to see how cool the bloke from Dr. Hook , of all people, comes across as on it, and to see him lining himself up a groupie for a future Dr. Hook date, live on air.

paruses

Quote from: willbo on July 31, 2021, 01:15:32 AM
I'd also totally forgotton about that "Cilla unmasks an undercover reporter" incident in Blind Date!

Box of Delights podcast had an episode on that. I found it way more interesting than I thought I would - my memory is just it was a bit awkward. Only a 15 minute listen.

willbo

I have a traumatic memory about Cannon and Ball. Basically I made my Mum almost cry by refusing to go up and be converted during one of their Evangelical Christian shows. Almost 20 years ago now. This is serious btw not a joke.

Butchers Blind

Can't remember that much from NHP but it always seemed to be Tony Blackburn or that fella from The Bill at his fake door.

franticplanet

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on July 31, 2021, 07:59:53 AM
This feller is also one of the boys and girls of CaB , of course. Just been looking at his YouTube channel: his attempt to dissect every single episode of Cannon & Ball's long running residency on ITV appears to have stalled after the second show

It me. I'm definitely intending to do more of those at some point, but just haven't had the time since I started the monthly videos on top of all the other stuff.

Cheers for all the nice comments in here.

Quote from: willbo on July 31, 2021, 08:44:15 AM
I have a traumatic memory about Cannon and Ball. Basically I made my Mum almost cry by refusing to go up and be converted during one of their Evangelical Christian shows. Almost 20 years ago now. This is serious btw not a joke.

I went to one of these when they did a show as a favour to some bloke in my family's church. At the point Bobby gave his impassioned testimony about coming to Christ, he seemed to sniff out my non-belief, and fixed me with ten seconds of the most rigidly uncomfortable eye contact I'll ever experience.

willbo

yeah great blog mate! That video of Sam Fox getting groped in Sweden is pretty grim.

PeterCornelius

Quote from: willbo on July 31, 2021, 01:15:32 AM

I remember watching this at the time. IIRC it ran as a news story before the actual broadcast so the viewing figures must have been off the clock. The woman might have got away with it if she hadn't gone for lunch in the BBC canteen. Cilla was absolutely merciless when she exposed her. It later came out that she'd had sex with her blind date despite being in a long term relationship. Lucky bugger - she was a babe.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: willbo on July 31, 2021, 10:03:43 AM
yeah great blog mate! That video of Sam Fox getting groped in Sweden is pretty grim.

It certainly is. Good to see the top hybrid of Reese Witherspoon/ Brix Smith Lookalike stick up for herself, though. " Do you wanna try that again, mate?". Hopefully  her bodyguard *did* give him a bit of a slap later on.

Kankurette

It's always fun trying to explain the concept of Mr Blobby to Americans. You post a picture of him on Facebook and they're like 'JESUS H CHRIST WHAT IS THAT THING'.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Kankurette on July 31, 2021, 11:21:31 AM
It's always fun trying to explain the concept of Mr Blobby to Americans. You post a picture of him on Facebook and they're like 'JESUS H CHRIST WHAT IS THAT THING'.

Says the nation who gave us The Banana Splits.

Brundle-Fly

The worst covert camera on a celebrity was The Word shafting Oliver Reed by putting one in his dressing room. Haha, look a dwarf! Cunts.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xfh2fj

bgmnts

Pranks are generally shit for cunts. No idea why people find it funny.

Kankurette

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 31, 2021, 12:30:18 PM
Says the nation who gave us The Banana Splits.
At least they're vaguely identifiable as animals, albeit terrifying ones. Mr Blobby is a spotted abomination.

Also hate pranks but that was due to being on the receiving end of a lot of them, because I don't get sarcasm, can't tell when people are joking and was ripe for exploitation.

PeterCornelius

Was it true that DLT's reaction to his Gotcha had to be re-shot because he swore so much, calling Noel a c**t etc? The story I heard was that if they'd bleeped out DLT's swearing there would nothing left.

pigamus

I had things I wanted to do today, but after clicking on that blog six hours ago here I am at two o'clock still in my fucking dressing gown

The most astonishing House Party incident to my mind was the "Wait Till I Get You Home" where they had some kiddie on who'd hidden a video camera in his parents bedroom, filmed them "in bed" (so hard at it, presumably) and sold tape copies to his mates. To which the general response was "Oh you cheeky wee scamp!" instead of "...fucking hell."

I often wonder how that segment made it to air with no questions being asked at any point, but such was Noel's inexplicable power it seems like he could've get away with almost anything at that point, short of another Michael Lush incident.

Dusty Substance

Richard Whiteley's Gotcha was fucking fantastic though.

Here's the full uncut, hour long version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SULRaZi4PXI

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: Ron Maels Moustache on July 31, 2021, 05:30:50 PM
The most astonishing House Party incident to my mind was the "Wait Till I Get You Home" where they had some kiddie on who'd hidden a video camera in his parents bedroom, filmed them "in bed" (so hard at it, presumably) and sold tape copies to his mates. To which the general response was "Oh you cheeky wee scamp!" instead of "...fucking hell."

I often wonder how that segment made it to air with no questions being asked at any point, but such was Noel's inexplicable power it seems like he could've get away with almost anything at that point, short of another Michael Lush incident.

I remember there being something like this happening with "The Big Pork Pie" where the person being pretend interrogated really didn't want to divulge the thing Noel wanted and it looking more and more authentic by the second.

That was a really humiliating thing to have in a program, get a member of the public to act out a lie detection. Then Noel did it himself his big secret was an embarassing middle name ooooooh how scandalous for a showbiz God like him to reveal such a thing. Get more plebs on to say Hehe I watched daddy poo

The set looked so fucking expensive. All those gimmicks and contraptions for such tat. And I watched it every single weekend. Hated it but watched it.

Shit Good Nose

RE NTV - very strong suggestions that the celeb ones at least were all contrived, which perhaps rubbishes those Chris Evans wanking rumours.  Source for that is that bloke who was basically a replacement for Mr Bronson on Grange Hill (except he seemed even more of a psychopath and most likely to go in with a gun and kill all the kids).   I can't remember his name, but he's a professional gambler and massage therapist or chiropodist or something now, but anyway he's told the story about how he was a last minute replacement on NTV one week cos the celeb it was supposed to be dropped out.  Neol did his usual click of the fingers and it cut to this guy, but he just tutted and told Neol to leave him alone and disconnected the "hidden" camera, which quickly ended that week's NTV.  HOWEVER, all was not as it seemed - the guy said that Neol/the producers of House Party told him to play up to his Grange Hill character and get very angry, which he found odd because he'd left the show a few years previous and didn't consider himself as a celebrity even when he was doing Grange Hill.  He later came to the conclusion that that's exactly why they told him to disconnect the camera almost straight away precisely because he wasn't a celeb, so they could still have the segment in the show, but not dwell on the fact they didn't really have a celeb that week AND benefit from the "newsworthy" anger on public television.  He pointed out that, despite his ending the segment early and unexpectedly, they still somehow had other segments lined up to fill in the NTV gaps.  Hmmmm.....

He never made anything else of it though because he says he got paid quite handsomely for a little bit of upheaval in his house and a couple of minutes of acting work.  But he also said he knew for a fact that other celeb NTVs were pre-planned with the celebrities.

Video Game Fan 2000

Maybe its cos I was so young but it was a blindsiding difference to Road Show. As a kid I loved Road Show because it was self-depreciating and full of jokes about its own crapness, and Noels failures, messy and silly. It felt like more Saturday morning television just on the evening. Then House Party he's like a coked up Julius Caesar humiliating people, making plebs scrabble for fivers while their skirts fly up like Marilyn Monroe, on their hands and knees looking for prizes while he's sat reading a newspaper with BUM TITS written on it, waiting until he can ask a kid where his mum keeps the family dildo.

MoreauVasz

Fantastic stuf Frantic Planet! Have subscribed.