Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:51:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

David Baddiel to tell us about online abuse

Started by Famous Mortimer, August 02, 2021, 05:32:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

https://www.comedy.co.uk/people/news/6476/david-baddiel-social-media-documentary/

Delighted that the person who successfully contributed to the media pile on that stopped a half-decent government getting into power is going to tell us why online abuse is wrong (presumably, mostly against wealthy members of the London media elite).

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Oh I do hope he whines about how black people are so lucky that everyone takes racism against them seriously, why can't he be black, stop bringing up that he did blackface once you fucking antisemites

Bigfella

Getting deja vu here.  Wasn't the last programme pretty much the same thing, talking about internet stuff that he doesn't like?

chveik

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Bigfella on August 02, 2021, 06:35:22 PM
Getting deja vu here. 

Yep. Truly hope this Baddiel thread doesn't end up as unpleasant as the last Baddiel thread did.

chveik

i hope so too, probably not for the same reasons though

Bigfella

Quote from: Dusty Substance on August 02, 2021, 07:27:09 PM
Yep. Truly hope this Baddiel thread doesn't end up as unpleasant as the last Baddiel thread did.
I don't hate the guy or anything, he just comes across as self-important and irritating to me.  He pops up in good stuff on the radio, I'll give him that.

The Ombudsman

Just wanted to say I find Baddiel massively overrated. And he's a right bore on Twitter.

Goodnight.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on August 02, 2021, 05:43:50 PM
Oh I do hope he whines about how black people are so lucky that everyone takes racism against them seriously, why can't he be black, stop bringing up that he did blackface once you fucking antisemites

Helpful

canadagoose

David Baddiel is a disappointment. He was liking Helen Joyce's transphobic book recently, so presumably Trans Don't Count to him.

wrec

I very much hope his intended Syd Barrett documentary doesn't happen. He's supposedly in talks with Floyd about it, but if that involves Roger Waters can he resist the temptation to jump in on another readymade antisemitism smear campaign?

Kankurette

I know everyone hates Baddiel on here for not being pro-Corbyn, and I'm not condoning the Jason Lee thing, but I've seen some of the abuse he gets and it's fucking horrendous. And I mean actual antisemitism. Sending him photos of ovens and shit.

Not all of us are wealthy or live in London either.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

If someone sent me a picture of an oven, like a bog- standard oven you'd see in the average British kitchen, as hate mail, I'd first of all have a bit of a chuckle at it, and then admire the whole surreal concept ( I get the reference that's being made, but, really? Pictures of ovens?) ( The Who consider, etc.)

But, really, people should send him pictures of, I don't know, the concept of funniness, with " That's not you, that isn't" ,written across the top, and nothing beyond that.

Chriddof

Quote from: Kankurette on August 03, 2021, 07:45:48 AM
I know everyone hates Baddiel on here for not being pro-Corbyn, and I'm not condoning the Jason Lee thing, but I've seen some of the abuse he gets and it's fucking horrendous. And I mean actual antisemitism. Sending him photos of ovens and shit.

Yeah. That's what's so frustrating about him - he's experienced horrific stuff like that, yet he can't see beyond his frame of reference to realise how the exact same evil affects others. I'd hope that given what happened after Euro 2020, he may have had another think about stuff like the Jason Lee incident.

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on August 03, 2021, 08:42:20 AM
If someone sent me an emoji of a banana, like a bog- standard banana you'd see in the average British kitchen, as hate mail, I'd first of all have a bit of a chuckle at it, and then admire the whole surreal concept ( I get the reference that's being made, but, really? Emojis of bananas?) ( The Who consider, etc.)

But, really, people should send him pictures of, I don't know, the concept of scoring penalties, with " That's not you, that isn't" ,written across the top, and nothing beyond that.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

gilbertharding

Quote from: Chriddof on August 03, 2021, 09:06:54 AM
Yeah. That's what's so frustrating about him - he's experienced horrific stuff like that, yet he can't see beyond his frame of reference to realise how the exact same evil affects others.

It's also the fact that this kind of terrible stuff is always, somehow, laid at the door of the left for some reason. Like, I get that distinguishing between the different kinds of abuse he gets from different people might be a bit of a task...

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on August 03, 2021, 08:42:20 AM
If someone sent me a picture of an oven, like a bog- standard oven you'd see in the average British kitchen, as hate mail, I'd first of all have a bit of a chuckle at it, and then admire the whole surreal concept ( I get the reference that's being made, but, really? Pictures of ovens?) ( The Who consider, etc.)

And people wonder why he felt the need to write a book about identity politics called "Jews Don't Count".

jobotic

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I just found the phrase " sending him pictures of ovens, and shit" quite funny,it caused me quite an involuntary spasm of laughter, imagining people taking pictures of their own ovens in their kitchen, then posting them to yer man while thinking " right, this'll show him."

Antisemitism, on the whole, is no laughing matter, I'll give you that.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Oh, I've just realised what AT was getting at.

Oooh, that's not good.

Sonny_Jim

Glorious penny drop there.  I could almost hear it whooshing by as I read your posts.

Listened to the Baddiel RHLSTP recently, it was fine I suppose.  I always though Rob was more talented though.

KennyMonster

Not that he wasn't pro Corbyn, he was and still is anti-Corbyn to the point that he'll release a book about how he and people with his ethnicity/religion are victims of the left which contains straight up lies and fabrications so he can stick the knife in further.

This follows examples throughout the years of him showing that, in his mind, blacks don't count and browns don't count.

chveik

I know everyone hates Baddiel on here for not being pro-Corbyn

not quite, the man has dedicated a lot of time to smear Corbyn and his supporters

Joe Oakes

As an aside, did he ever clarify if his book title was a pun relating to money or the Holocaust? Genuine question, I'm not making a point, just interested in what he was going for.

gilbertharding

I don't think anyone in their right mind could object to someone just for being 'against Corbyn'. I mean - there are all sorts of opinions. We've all got loads...

It's that so many of these people certainly think of themselves as left wing. And, in being 'against Corbyn' were so willing to smear anyone who was for him. And, further, in being 'against Corbyn', now seem so surprised by what we've now got instead.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: chveik on August 03, 2021, 01:11:24 PM
not quite, the man has dedicated a lot of time to smear Corbyn and his supporters

not quite, for a while that had become his primary activity other than sleep

canadagoose

I mean, I'd still be interested in reading his book, as he does have a point about antisemitic attitudes being ignored by some "anti-racists" (I've seen them do this before). I think I would have to pretend he didn't write it though. A bit like when I watch Fawlty Towers for the thousandth time and pretend it's not the same old Twitter bore that's starring in it.

Naturally I think the abuse he gets is atrocious and I condemn it, although I do think he's a wally.

Old Nehamkin

It's really inconvenient how every recent popular movement directed towards the redistribution of wealth and power has turned out to actually be deeply racist or sexist or whatever. Oh well. At least we can always rely on our beloved multi-millionaire media class to warn us.

Jerzy Bondov

Who the fucks clamouring for David Baddiel from the 90s to share his opinions about the internet