Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:27:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

6 more seasons of South Park and 14(?!) movies

Started by big egg, August 06, 2021, 01:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

big egg

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-58109993

QuoteThe agreement, which runs to the end of 2027, includes six seasons of the South Park TV show and 14 movies.

Even as someone who was once a big South Park fan, this is not good news. I'm not sure if this is confirmed anywhere, but it looks like the 14 movies will be South Park "spinoffs".

They obviously love doing it so I'm not suggesting they quit South Park completely (although it's honestly not a terrible idea) but it makes me sad to see the guys who made The Book of Mormon, Team America and Baseketball sign the next 6 years of their career away to the ever diminishing returns of SP.

JamesTC

Nearly a billion dollars and it funds the stuff they want to do like a weed business and another South Park game so I guess it is a win-win for them.

Still not seen the two specials. While it isn't as good as it used to be, it is still usually reliably entertaining in a way The Simpsons hasn't ever really managed in its post classic seasons.

bgmnts

Was a massive south park fan from like season 3 to season 15 and i still maintain it's the longest run of consistently good comedy in a show, but I dont think there should be more of it really. The guys have shown they can do really good things outside of the show (Team America, Book of Mormon) it'd be interesting to see what new stuff they do.

Another game would be ace though, they were fucking great.

thugler

Really gone off it for a while now. Just sick of the whole thing. Some of it's political commentary is woeful as well, just both sides-ing things that really don't warrant it. It's just not that funny anymore either, I'd pinpoint it to anything series 17/18 onwards. There's still the odd good ep, but few and far between

BeardFaceMan

The last 2 games they've made piss all over the last few tv series so I'd look forward to a new game. Another 6 series and 14 movies, not so much.

up_the_hampipe

I'm confused about those movies. I assume Trey and Matt will act in more "executive producer" roles for some of them? Surely they haven't got the energy to make 14 original movies in the same universe.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: thugler on August 06, 2021, 01:33:32 PM
It's just not that funny anymore either, I'd pinpoint it to anything series 17/18 onwards. There's still the odd good ep, but few and far between

For me I'd say season 19 onwards.  PC Principal and all the stuff that came with it was just dismal, plus the introduction of season arcs which fail miserably rather than standalone episodes.

When I saw "14 movies" I assumed it meant more of those specials, but...they really mean movies?

selectivememory

I honestly thought the last couple of specials were pretty good, and if they signed up to do three or four of those a year, I would find that hugely preferable to several more full seasons.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Weeping Prophet on August 06, 2021, 03:09:42 PM
When I saw "14 movies" I assumed it meant more of those specials, but...they really mean movies?

One of the articles I read, featured fairly extensive quotes from one of them about the deal and they touched upon that they have only done one film to date and from that, I inferred they are talking about movies, rather than specials.

From various reporting, it's been suggested that there will be 2 films a year. Also there has been a lot of references about the films being spin-offs - at least one article I read said the first movie will be a South Park one and the remainder are 'spin-offs'. Make of that what you will...

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Trey Parker and Matt Stone will be pushing 60 in 6 year's time. I find it odd that they will still be writing South Park and doing the voices at this time.

JesusAndYourBush

steveh

Quote from: Weeping Prophet on August 06, 2021, 03:09:42 PM

TV movies for the Paramount+ streaming service I believe, not cinema releases. So another streaming service you'll need to subscribe to, though in the UK it will also come free with a Sky Cinema subscription.

Two of the movies are already in production for 2021 release apparently.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on August 06, 2021, 04:32:08 PM
Oh.
Ah well. Just as long as it's not on the telly.

The whole storyline only had one joke to it - Randy saying someone lacks [in]tegrity, but he's actually referring to his farm's produce, rather than their moral character. It's not even proper wordplay.

Noodle Lizard

The only way I can get this "14 movies in six years" thing to make any sense is if it means two of those hour-long "specials" in addition to a normal season every year. Would've much preferred them to put all that time and effort into one good film (like Bigger, Longer & Uncut), but there you go.

Of course, there's every chance Paramount+ tanks or gets rolled into something else within the next few years and this whole deal sort of slips away. Seems more like (very expensive) promotion for the platform than anything else.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on August 06, 2021, 06:55:06 PM
The only way I can get this "14 movies in six years" thing to make any sense is if it means two of those hour-long "specials" in addition to a normal season every year. Would've much preferred them to put all that time and effort into one good film (like Bigger, Longer & Uncut), but there you go.

Of course, there's every chance Paramount+ tanks or gets rolled into something else within the next few years and this whole deal sort of slips away. Seems more like (very expensive) promotion for the platform than anything else.

Disney have apparently expressed an interest in buying up Paramount, which is a FAR worse prospect than a couple of disappointing SP projects.

Noodle Lizard

Does anyone know what's going on with Matt/Trey's film studio, Important Studios? It was announced to big fanfare a fair few years ago, and is kind of unheard of two creators/showrunners to start their own studio, but then that was the end of it. Everyone assumed a Book of Mormon film was coming, but I don't think there's any indication of that. And the Sassy Justice thing went away quietly enough.

chveik

it's been pretty shite for a while, i'd watch a butters spinoff but that's it

idunnosomename

a show about third graders is going to be thirty years old. are they going to go up to the fifth grade then

crankshaft

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 06, 2021, 11:14:35 PM
a show about third graders is going to be thirty years old. are they going to go up to the fifth grade then

They've been in fourth grade since 2000 so I wouldn't hold your breath.

idunnosomename

have they made any shifting timeline meta-jokes like the Simpsons though? the big upgrade to the fourth grade was kinda meta I suppose, because it was like "oh time is advancing haha not really it's basically the same". again the problem happens is that the parents as characters don't work if they're born in the 80s rather than the 50s. and it's just old men making the same fucking show UGH do something else for fucks sake.

Pranet

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on August 06, 2021, 03:57:13 PM
Trey Parker and Matt Stone will be pushing 60 in 6 year's time. I find it odd that they will still be writing South Park and doing the voices at this time.

It is weird. I haven't seen it god knows how long so I have no opinion on if it is any good or not now, but it is like Monty Python kept making a series every year until 2010.

ajsmith2

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 06, 2021, 11:29:21 PM
have they made any shifting timeline meta-jokes like the Simpsons though? the big upgrade to the fourth grade was kinda meta I suppose, because it was like "oh time is advancing haha not really it's basically the same". again the problem happens is that the parents as characters don't work if they're born in the 80s rather than the 50s. and it's just old men making the same fucking show UGH do something else for fucks sake.

Interesting to see this take.. I speak as a fairweather SP viewer who's only seen a fraction of the show, but I always thought that part of the reason that SP was able to age better than The Simpsons is that the characters and their backstories are more elastic so it doesn't matter so much if they're overwritten/messed about with as their original origins weren't earnestly invested in in the first place. I mean it's a show where one character was established as dying and coming back without explanation from the off, so it was always gonna play fast and loose with that kind of stuff. But I found your comment that the parents don't work as characters now they're millennials rather than boomers interesting.. it kind of relates to this blog entry (itself pretty ancient now) on Dead Homer Society that mentions how Homer and Marge were such boomer archetypes that 20 years on the cracks can't help but show even with a new lick of paint. I never thought of Randy etc as being so tied down to the time of their creation as Homer and Marge, but I guess it's just inevitable that it's gonna show in some way eventually.

https://deadhomersociety.wordpress.com/2009/02/11/end-the-simpsons-4-cosmetic-consistency-has-its-limits/

idunnosomename

Well, it doesnt matter in South Park nearly as much because they didn't make elaborate backstories for their characters. Randy was introduced as a geologist purely for the story about a volcano then they decided to make him an easily-led imbecile simply because it was funny. Are Stan and Kyle really strong characters at all? No, they're all just basically ways to act out satirical ideas.

Not like the Simpsons, where Homer being a late boomer is absolutely intrinsic to his character. even though the writers probably didnt realise it. Probably didn't because homer is basically same generation as Matt Groening (Homer Groening was born 1919!)

Well, they retconned Mrs Cartman being Cartman's father in the 200th but honestly that was probably for the best.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 07, 2021, 10:33:09 AM
Well, it doesnt matter in South Park nearly as much because they didn't make elaborate backstories for their characters. Randy was introduced as a geologist purely for the story about a volcano then they decided to make him an easily-led imbecile simply because it was funny. Are Stan and Kyle really strong characters at all? No, they're all just basically ways to act out satirical ideas.

Randy was also based on Trey's dad (named Randy), at least from when he started getting more screentime. I think I remember Trey saying in one of the commentaries that Randy is the character he relates to most now, which I think was a great thing early on (the Fingerbang and Jesse Jackson episodes being the first that stick in my mind), but has become a little stale no. Count me as another one who doesn't like the Tegridy Farms shit.

I think they said the Broflowskis were based on Matt Stone's parents too, but I might be misremembering.

idunnosomename

How the adults became more interesting characters than the kids reminds me of Rugrats. Which I've just realised that Klasky and Csupo have rebooted this year in CG. Again the same characters just slid down 30 years. The most obvious change is that grandad is now a hippy rather than a WW2 vet.

You just wonder if there's going to be any original culture allowed in the 2020s, or if we're just going to have rehashed stuff from the 90s by aging gen x'rs and decrepit boomers.

God knows what kids born in the 00s think about South Park. Imagine showing them one where they're using "gay" as an insult. Theyd be rightfully horrified. Be like yer da watching the black and white minstrel show.

steveh

Viacom's declared strategy across all their big premium channels - Comedy Central, MTV, Nickelodeon - is to 'reboot' old shows in a way that can appeal both to the original viewers and a younger generation. There's more of these to come...

I'd be more optimistic about the movies if there weren't so many of them, with the series on top of that. The best thing they've ever done took seven years. There's no way this production schedule will result in anything good, unless they've been saving them up for a while.