Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:43:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who Series 13: Goodbye, Mr. Chibs

Started by Norton Canes, August 10, 2021, 01:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norton Canes

There, I've done it. I've cleaved the Gordian Knot of thread title indecision asunder. Apologies to those who expressed a preference for something different but as I've never claimed the next thread in an ongoing series before, I thought I'd eschew my normal reticence and humility. Also, sorry for jumping the gun with a whole twelve posts still to go on the previous thread.

Anyway hopefully this means we can leave behind all that interminable debate about whether the Timeless Child stuff was a good idea (I say 'debate', obviously it was almost unanimous disapproval) and discuss it only with reference to upcoming storylines.

Do I have to add in all the past thread links, or is that honour reserved for Sheepy?

Replies From View

You've gone the route of expressing affection towards Chinballs, I see.  How irritating.  But you still have a window of opportunity to make it seem less like we are all sad about his departure.

Norton Canes

My purpose was to amuse, simply to amuse. Nothing serious, nothing political

Alberon

Well, I'm just going to mentally add 'you wanker' to the title each time I see this thread.

Norton Canes

Replies From View

I wonder how many of us will actually bother watching the rest of Chibnall's tenure.  I haven't seen Revolution of the Daleks yet and have no intention to.

JamesTC

The last Chibnall I watched was a shit Silurian two-parter which were the only bad episodes in an otherwise great series. Series 5 would be up there with the best if he didn't stink up the place.

pigamus

Quote from: Replies From View on August 10, 2021, 02:16:41 PM
I wonder how many of us will actually bother watching the rest of Chibnall's tenure.  I haven't seen Revolution of the Daleks yet and have no intention to.

Nope

Still haven't seen frog on a chair either

Replies From View

No point, is there.  That guy who made the 5 hour video will surely cover the rest in due course, or we can read the wikipedia articles with the exact same dramatic impact as watching the episodes themselves.

That'd be interesting.  A thread of people entirely discussing the discourse around episodes they can't be arsed with.

Quote from: Alberon on August 10, 2021, 01:23:51 PM
Well, I'm just going to mentally add 'you wanker' to the title each time I see this thread.

Or just think of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vys_sKX94pw

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: Replies From View on August 10, 2021, 02:54:55 PM
No point, is there.  That guy who made the 5 hour video will surely cover the rest in due course, or we can read the wikipedia articles with the exact same dramatic impact as watching the episodes themselves.

That'd be interesting.  A thread of people entirely discussing the discourse around episodes they can't be arsed with.

really surprised that so many people have managed to sit through that. i found jay exci to be an irritating smug nerd going on constant waffly tangents. 5 fucking hours.

youtubers, man

add two extra hours and you're at satantango length

purlieu

As both series have had a couple of episodes I've really enjoyed amidst the meh, I'll definitely be tuning in. Also curious to see how the six part story pans out. I bet I'll remember what happens in at least one episode, either way.

Ambient Sheep

Sheepy's guide to Doctor Who threads

New/changed entries marked with an asterisk.

Main threads about the new series, in chronological order of creation:
2004/03/04 - 2004/03/20:  Izzard as Dr Who ? (Rampant speculation)
2004/03/20 - 2005/02/21:  And the new Doctor Who is... (Eccleston's announcement to the start of Series 1 (27))
2005/02/27 - 2006/10/10:  New Doctor Who (Series 1 (27) & 2 (28))
2006/11/01 - 2007/05/21:  Newer Doctor Who  (Series 3 (29) part 1)
2007/05/24 - 2009/10/21:  The New Doctor Who thread (Series 3 (29) part 2, Series 4 (30), 2009 up to but not including The Waters Of Mars)
2009/10/21 - 2010/03/26:  The "New" Doctor Who Thread (2009 just before The Waters of Mars to just before Series 5 (31/Fnarg) aired)
2010/03/18 - 2010/07/27:  Doctor Who - Series 5 Discussion (No Spoilers) (Series 5 (31/Fnarg))
2010/06/13 - 2011/01/15:  So, Doctor Who. (started as Fry's questions thread, mutated halfway down page 12 into general post-Series-5-(31/Fnarg) discussion, including the 2010 Christmas special (A Christmas Carol))
2011/01/20 - 2012/01/05:  Doctor Who Series 6 (Series 6 (32))
2012/01/07 - 2012/12/29:  Doctor Who Series 7 and beyond (may contain spoilers) (S07(33)E01 (Asylum of the Daleks) - S07(33)E05 (The Angels Take Manhattan) plus Christmas Special (The Snowmen))
2012/12/29 - 2013/07/11:  Doctor Who, Series 7 (part two) (S07(33)E06 (The Bells of Saint John) - S07(33)E13 (The Name of the Doctor))
2013/01/07 - 2014/01/05:  Doctor Who - 50th anniversary year (overlaps with the previous thread)
2013/12/26 - 2014/08/11:  Doctor Who - Series 8 (101 pages before Series 8 (34) had even aired!)
2014/08/09 - 2014/10/21:  Doctor Who - Series 8 (Part 2) (S08(34)E01 (Deep Breath) - S08(34)E09 (Flatline))
2014/10/21 - 2015/01/14:  Doctor Who - Series 8 (Part 3) (S08(34)E09 (Flatline) - S08(34)E12 (Death in Heaven) plus Christmas Special (Last Christmas))
2015/01/05 - 2015/10/27:  Doctor Who - Series 9 (S09(35) speculation and E01 (The Magician's Apprentice) - E06 (The Woman Who Lived))
2015/10/26 - 2016/01/21:  Doctor Who - Series 9 (continued) (S09(35)E07 (The Zygon Invasion) - S09(35)E12 (Hell Bent) plus Christmas Special (The Husbands of River Song))
2016/01/22 - 2017/04/15:  Doctor Who - Series 10 (Pre-S10(36) speculation)
2017/04/15 - 2017/08/07:  Doctor Who - Series 10 (Part 2) (S10(36)E01 (The Pilot) - S10(36)E12 (The Doctor Falls))
2017/08/07 - 2018/01/07:  Doctor Who - Series 10 (Part 3) (Christmas Special (Twice Upon a Time) and general chatter about the impending Chibnall era)
2018/01/07 - 2018/11/02:  Doctor Who - Series 11 (Part 1) (62 pages of pre-S11(37) speculation, then S11(37)E01 (The Woman Who Fell to Earth) to S11(37)E04 (Arachnids in the UK))
2018/11/02 - 2019/06/13:  Doctor Who - Series 11 (Part 2) (S11(37)E05 (The Tsuranga Conundrum) to S11(37)E10 (The Battle of Ranskoor Av Kolos) plus New Year's Day Special (Resolution), then whatever the thread equivalent of "The entire thousand‐mile­‐long bridge spontaneously folded up its glittering spans and sank weeping into the mire, taking everybody with it." would be)
2019/06/13 - 2020/03/03: Doctor Who - Series 12, Chibnall's Revenge (24 pages of Pre-S12(38) speculation, then Ballad's review of S12(38)E01 (Spyfall, Part 1), then two-and-a-half pages later, everyone else's, then all of Series 12 up to and including S12(38)E10 (The Timeless Children).
* 2020/03/03 - 2021/08/10: Doctor Who Series 12B: The Timeless Chibnall (Xmas special & pre-Series 13 chat) (What it says on the tin)
* 2021/08/10 - 202?/??/??: Doctor Who Series 13: Goodbye, Mr. Chibs (More (pre-)Series 13 chat - you're reading it now!)

plus:

* 2021/05/03 - 202?/??/??: Doctor Who 2005-2017 : The RTD & Moffat Years (a.k.a. Old New Doctor Who - a thread for chat about old episodes from the re-booted series)

Threads about the old series, in chronological order of creation:
Old Doctor Who (Original thread, 2005/05/11 - 2010/06/08)
Old Doctor Who (Second thread, 2011/01/14 - 2016/10/21)
Old Doctor Who - Part 3 (Third thread, 2016/10/21 - 20??/??/??)

Threads about both, but for your ears only:
Doctor Who Audio Adventures (Big Finish etc.)

Other Doctor Who related broadcast threads, also in chronological order:
Torchwood Series 1
The Sarah Jane Adventures (just the pilot, not Series 1, there was no S1 thread)
Torchwood Series 2
Sarah Jane adventures- Series 2
Torchwood Series 3 (aka Children of Earth)
Sarah Jane Adventures Series 3
Doctor Who and the SPOILERS OF DEATH (aborted Series 5 (31/Fnarg) thread)
Junior Masterchef with Doctor Who
Doctor Who: The Adventure Games
Torchwood: The New World (one-page thread presaging Series 4 / Miracle Day)
Torchwood return date.... (three-post thread announcing Series 4 / Miracle Day)
Torchwood: Miracle Day (aka Series 4)
Torchwood: Miracle Day (US airings)
Class (Doctor Who spin-off) series 1

There wasn't a Sarah Jane Adventures Series 4 thread, let alone a Series 5 one. :-(

The Doctor Who Radio Times Project - with thanks to Replies From View
A Radio Times History of Doctor Who: 01 William Hartnell

Still more Doctor Who related threads, again in chronological order:
Fanzines (Comedy, Doctor Who and in general)
The Best And Worst Of Doctor Who... Ever
Doctor Who - where does everyone stand now ?
Mong Doctor Who series 5 (H.S. Art thread)
Recommend me some Old Doctor Who (a really good thread, IMHO)
Doctor Who Mongs (H.S. Art thread)
Beeb to show unseen interview with Dr Who theme creator (Delia Derbyshire)
Doctor Who film (November 2011 thread about film rumour)
Watching Doctor Who no 1. The Time Meddler (1965)
Why i don't like modern Doctor Who
Doctor Who leaked scripts thread (but still no spoilers) (July 2014)
Doctor Who: The Movie (April 2015 thread about another film rumour)
K9: Timequake (new movie coming 2017, allegedly... very allegedly, by now)
Doctor Who World (should it become an expanded franchise like Marvel?)
Dr Who Re Dooooo (would it be worth refilming some early stories?)
Doctor Who or Chips? (addressing the burning issue of the day)
Tom Baker is still alive (General Tom Baker appreciation thread)
Lost WHO script. (Spoon of Ploff writes a Doctor Who story in H.S. Art)
BRADLEY WALSH will be Doctor Who's companion (Two-and-a-half pages of mild jaw-droppage from 2017/08/21-24, however this comment fails to be "very sarky")
Radiophonic Prom (featuring the music of Delia Derbyshire, among others)
Watching Doctor Who (2005) from the middle of the beginning (madhair60 sparks discussion about the RTD era -- includes a superb Sheepy-has-to-up-his-game-now list by Talulah, really! to every individual episode discussion of the first three series; many thanks for that!)
Clive Swift has died (and much of the thread is about that DWM interview)
giant blue penis bloke from doctor who (the Moxx of Balhoon gets his own thread, then lives it up with Balok and friends)
Wanting to get into old Doctor Who (madhair60 enquires again; lots of good answers)

(See here for sources.  Further additions & corrections welcome.)

Replies From View

Quotethen whatever the thread equivalent of "The entire thousand‐mile­‐long bridge spontaneously folded up its glittering spans and sank weeping into the mire, taking everybody with it." would be)

It's called exactly the same thing, except with the word "glans" here instead.

pigamus

Most probably I'll watch the first couple, lose interest, then come back for the underwhelming finale

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Replies From View on August 10, 2021, 05:07:49 PMIt's called exactly the same thing, except with the word "glans" here instead.

I'm glad somebody appreciated that eventually. :)  I must confess that I pouted a bit at the time when nobody picked up on what I thought was some massively appropriate Douglas Adams theft.  Seemed to sum up that thread perfectly.

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on August 10, 2021, 05:27:39 PM
Quote from: Ambient Sheep on August 10, 2021, 04:27:19 PMDoctor Who or Chibs?

:-D

GoblinAhFuckScary

had a very silly dream where a new doctor was announced and their new gimmick was that they said "fookin" a lot. and the show had also moved to a slot at 11PM

JamesTC

fookin cunt davros and his fooken wank chair

BritishHobo

I had been wavering towards giving up, but I think now we know how many episodes are left, I may as well stick with it. The scarceness of the show has probably done that for a lot of people - if it were thirteen episodes every year, I probably would have stopped. But only getting ten (or less) every whenever means it's been so long that I'm more likely to give it a go.

Midas

I've only seen a handful of episodes from Chris Chibnall's shift so far and I'm conflicted 'bout whether I'll bother watching any more tbh. He's such a bewildering writer. He hasn't created any memorable monsters, can't construct intricate, clever plots, won't write fleshed-out or nuanced characters...

He's just a hack with nothing to say.

When watching the Jodie Whittaker episodes I kept thinking to myself "Why am I watching this, I'm a grown man..." which I think is either an indication that Chibnall is incapable of successfully balancing the interests of a mixed age audience, or an indication I might have finally grown out of this programme.

Fortunately it can't be the latter because possessing an insecurity about not being emotionally/intellectually mature is in itself an indication of not being emotionally/intellectually mature. The writer is shit! Checkmate.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

The author of this Radio Times article only just stops short of saying that Chibnall is shit. But we all know what he's getting at. A much more sensible article than the one that appeared in The Guardian recently.

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/sci-fi/doctor-who-changes-cancellation-comment/

Mister Six

Quote from: Replies From View on August 10, 2021, 02:16:41 PM

Haven't seen Revolution of the Daleks. Had no intention of watching this series, but knowing that it's truncated and Chibnall's last might push me into trying it, if I see everyone on here joining in, if only so I can enjoy the threads.

Mister Six

mothman

I wish I hadn't seen Revolution Of The Daleks. Perhaps me and Six can be twinned and cancel each other out.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on August 14, 2021, 09:05:15 PM
The author of this Radio Times article only just stops short of saying that Chibnall is shit. But we all know what he's getting at. A much more sensible article than the one that appeared in The Guardian recently.

Excellent piece, and yes, he basically does say it, doesn't he?  Thanks for that.

If only Pip & Jane Baker were still alive to be pissing themselves laughing.

H-O-W-L

Replies From View

Still love "mind-numbing adventures".  He's gone on to make his own stories mind-numbing too, so he has definitely applied whatever he has learned.

Is that meant to be sung to the oo-ee-oo theme tune?  Or the bassline?  Or is it his usual approach of just ignoring what is there to do entirely his own unrelated thing.

Replies From View

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on August 14, 2021, 09:05:15 PM

Focuses more on the lack of publicity than the crapness of the writing.  When it complains about Chibnall's storytelling the criticism is double-edged:  "edutainment of Classic Who".