Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:53:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

least funny python to make shit documentary not worth watching

Started by madhair60, August 23, 2021, 05:01:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pink Gregory

rue the polywhirl

The pattern for things like these is that the person making the anti-woke project does something especially cancel-worthy and the project won't be published or make it to air. Question is what will John Cleese do between now and then that sees him cancelled for good?

pigamus

He could say something positive about Jeremy Corbyn, that ought to do it

Fambo Number Mive

Turning into Basil Fawlty but would probably be even worse at running a hotel than Basil.

People who complain about "cancel culture" only seem to have an issue with it when it is people they disagree with politically. The term "cancel culture" seems to be a way to suppress the views of others, rather than debating them.

"You didn't like my new sitcom which is just me taking a shit on different subway trains in New York? You think half an hour of me defecting to a laugh track, with close ups on my arse, is offensive? CANCEL CULTURE. CANCEL CULTURE". That sort of thing (obviously Cleese isn't the person speaking here)

Glebe

You can't say coloureds but you can say people of colour, cuh.

who cares

Quote from: JamesTC on August 23, 2021, 06:57:59 PM
The dead ones haven't told a joke in a while. On account of being dead.

They're just resting

dallasman

Good for him. Pushing 82, and still able to provoke clueless, middle-aged cranks into fits of rage, just by announcing a project. Hope he's got Linehan on.

Fambo Number Mive

I don't think anyone on here is enraged, just mildly contemptuous.

pigamus

Can't say dead parrot any more, it's all "transitioning parrot" now

madhair60

Old Nehamkin

Wrong member of the Chapman/Cleese writing partnership died.

Spiny Norman

Quote from: pigamus on August 23, 2021, 08:40:20 PM
Can't say dead parrot any more, it's all "transitioning parrot" now
I find their Mouse Problem sketch very insensitive towards Furries!

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: dallasman on August 23, 2021, 08:37:31 PM
Good for him. Pushing 82, and still able to provoke clueless, middle-aged cranks into fits of rage, just by announcing a project. Hope he's got Linehan on.

No one here is angry about this, octogenerian maverick Cleese hasn't pushed any buttons. It's just a shame that a man who, in his youth, merrily ripped the piss out of small-mindedness and hypocrisy is now a boring old reactionary fart. But hey-ho.

dallasman

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on August 23, 2021, 09:07:53 PM
No one here is angry about this, octogenerian maverick Cleese hasn't pushed any buttons. It's just a shame that a man who, in his youth, merrily ripped the piss out of small-mindedness and hypocrisy is now a boring old reactionary fart. But hey-ho.

Get a clue, grandad.

dallasman

Cancel culture is the lifeblood of this erstwhile comedy forum, and you've already produced two pages of "mild contempt" about a documentary none of you has seen. At this rate, Cleese could be enjoying Baddiel levels of notoriety by the end of the month.

Chriddof

Quote from: dallasman on August 23, 2021, 09:31:08 PM
Cancel culture is the lifeblood of this erstwhile comedy forum, and you've already produced two pages of "mild contempt" about a documentary none of you has seen. At this rate, Cleese could be enjoying Baddiel levels of notoriety by the end of the month.

You see that? That's you, that is.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on August 23, 2021, 09:07:53 PM

To be fair, there are plenty of (great) examples of him espousing similar views way back in the 60s and 70s, although they tended to be directed towards the louder voices of outrage of the eras (religious and conservative groups). I think this particular debate was already mentioned, but he did fantastically to defend The Life Of Brian against those who would happily see it banned: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYMpObbt2rs

I think attempting this at his age and without really having contributed any significant comedy during this "cancel culture" era is probably unwise, however.

Spiny Norman

Quote from: dallasman on August 23, 2021, 09:31:08 PM
It seems there are two ways this could go:

1. Cleese harks back to his Video Arts days and actually does a balanced analysis of good and bad examples, and acknowledges that overreactions can also happen.

2. Cleese starts to rant - again - about the madness of not being able to say n*gger on TV pre-watershed. Poe's law may apply.

We'll just have to see, won't we.

easytarget

dallasman

Quote from: Spiny Norman on August 23, 2021, 10:39:31 PM

1. Cleese harks back to his Video Arts days and actually does a balanced analysis of good and bad examples, and acknowledges that overreactions can also happen.

2. Cleese starts to rant - again - about the madness of not being able to say n*gger on TV pre-watershed. Poe's law may apply.

Well, that was what I was going to do, if I end up watching it. And I'm probably more likely to watch it if there is someone intelligent making the case for "cancel culture" as well, and some other voices besides Cleese's making the case against. Cleese is an old man, and it's a subject where there's a limited number of interesting "takes" to be had.

And for the record, I think it's fine for a senile, out of touch, racist character to say that word in a comedy. Is "watershed" 8 o'clock? Maybe there's debate to be had over that, but that's not really "cancel culture" anyway. The "cancel" part only comes into it when the internet monsters come screaming for people's heads on spikes for being on the incorrect side of the debate.

Echo Valley 2-6809

Reminds me of his appearance at the end of that weird Funny Business episode about bad taste in comedy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bICuqEHWS8Q&t=3120s

(52 minutes in if the time-stamp doesn't link - WARNING: contains racist language and topular nakedidity)

Barry Admin

Quote from: dallasman on August 23, 2021, 08:37:31 PM

Been sent over here again to try and shit-stir eh? 

He's extremely insightful when analyzing his own comedy. But he's had almost a decade to work out this anti-PC thesis of his, and it only ever amounts to him complaining whenever audiences groan at his jokes about Mexicans. 

evilcommiedictator

When you've been CANCELLED by that many ex-wives, you've gotta do something to keep the money flowing in?
Is it a Wolfenstein video game or an elderly upper-class comedian doing all the retirement gigs his accountant points him at?

amateur

Uncanny that the people most likely to get cancelled are the ones most concerned about it.