Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:57:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Abba album

Started by holyzombiejesus, September 02, 2021, 06:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

New album and hologram live show coming. Apparently 2 songs available to stream now .

Mr_Simnock

what the hell has finally prompted this after decades of 'no we wont do owt new under the ABBA name'?

PaulTMA

Don't Shut Me Down seems really good! Dunno about the other one though.  Slight 90s arranger keyboard vibes from it.

Egyptian Feast

I laughed when the stadium guitar came in near the end of 'I Still Have Faith In You'. It was OK, but 'Don't Shut Me Down' was more promising. The one I really want to hear though is 'Keep An Eye On Dan'.

QuoteTrack list:
I Still Have Faith In You
When You Danced With Me
Little Things
Don't Shut Me Down
Just A Notion
I Can Be That Woman
Keep An Eye On Dan
Bumble Bee
No Doubt About It
Ode To Freedom

holyzombiejesus

Just saw that Little Things is a Christmas song.
Are these new new songs or have versions been heard before?

Egyptian Feast

I dunno, but this video from 2019 with both of the titles in the description came up when I searched for the second song. Haven't watched but it suggests the new songs have been knocking around for a bit.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on September 02, 2021, 06:20:20 PM
New album and hologram live show coming. Apparently 2 songs available to stream now .

Those hologram live shows starring dead legends such as Presley and Orbison have always struck me as odd, ghoulish and utterly cyncial cash-grabbing exercises. But isn't this worse in a way? ABBA don't have the excuse of being exploited when they're dead, they've signed off on this.

Fair fucks if they don't want to reunite for a tour, but I'd have more respect for them if they'd just released some new music then quietly disappeared again. 

I don't really care, of course, and none of this diminishes my love of ABBA. I'm just typing out some instant idle thoughts about a promotional stunt from some preposterously solvent musicians.

pigamus

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on September 02, 2021, 06:51:42 PM
I laughed when the stadium guitar came in near the end of 'I Still Have Faith In You'. It was OK, but 'Don't Shut Me Down' was more promising. The one I really want to hear though is 'Keep An Eye On Dan'.

He genuinely forgot the baby was mixed race, how many more times

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 02, 2021, 07:12:39 PM
Those hologram live shows starring dead legends such as Presley and Orbison have always struck me as odd, ghoulish and utterly cyncial cash-grabbing exercises. But isn't this worse in a way? ABBA don't have the excuse of being exploited when they're dead, they've signed off on this.

Fair fucks if they don't want to reunite for a tour, but I'd have more respect for them if they'd just released some new music then quietly disappeared again. 

I don't really care, of course, and none of this diminishes my love of ABBA. I'm just typing out some instant idle thoughts about a promotional stunt from some preposterously solvent musicians.

Simon Price tweeted that the hologram set up could be a way for prices to be kept relatively low and for more people to see the concerts. Someone in his replies said they'd heard prices start at £21, although I'm not sure how true that is.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 02, 2021, 07:12:39 PM

I kind of agree but as we've all experienced, it's a dispiriting thing to see old people trying to do a young person's game. I can see the attraction for them in doing this, it will be more and more common in the future and they can play a part in pushing the state of the art forward. Interesting if nothing else.

badaids

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on September 02, 2021, 06:40:24 PM
what the hell has finally prompted this after decades of 'no we wont do owt new under the ABBA name'?

It might have something to do with $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

But why even go to the event, rather than watch the holograms on TV at home? Will people be that desperate for stuff to do after Covid?

pigamus

Quote from: badaids on September 02, 2021, 07:44:41 PM
It might have something to do with $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

More like people badgering them to do it fucking endlessly since the day they quit

Captain Z

You can perform with hologram ABBA at the ABBA museum in Stockholm.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: jamiefairlie on September 02, 2021, 07:38:38 PM
I kind of agree but as we've all experienced, it's a dispiriting thing to see old people trying to do a young person's game. I can see the attraction for them in doing this, it will be more and more common in the future and they can play a part in pushing the state of the art forward. Interesting if nothing else.

Interesting, yes, but ABBA don't need the money. I know you could say the same about the Stones, for example, but I've always got the impression that the Stones genuinely enjoy playing shows (while making shitloads of money), it's just what they do.

ABBA split up in the early '80s, and they have never expressed any interest in continuing as a live act. Which is fine. But this hologram concert thing strikes me as a particularly cynical move. It doesn't tarnish their legacy, of course not, but I've always admired the rather dignified way in which they just stopped being ABBA.

Anyway. I like I Still Have Faith in You, it has that late ABBA feel of triumphant melancholy (Taylor Parkes, I think, once described that sound admiringly as divorcee pop; adults singing pop songs, but not in a bland, cosy way). Don't Shut Me Down is okay; sounds like an ABBA filler track circa Super Trouper. They haven't embarrassed themselves here at all. 

daf

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on September 02, 2021, 06:51:42 PM

QuoteTrack list:
I Still Have Faith In You
When You Danced With Me
Little Things
Don't Shut Me Down
Just A Notion
I Can Be That Woman
Keep An Eye On Dan
Bumble Bee
No Doubt About It
Ode To Freedom

Is that a real track list? Just a Notion is one of their unreleased songs they included on that 'Undeleted' mix on the Box set (as was a snippet of a track called 'Free as a Bumble Bee' I think)

daf

Indomitable Spirit

New Crystal Maze looks shite

Gradual Decline

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 02, 2021, 08:11:59 PM
Taylor Parkes, I think, once described that sound admiringly as divorcee pop; adults singing pop songs, but not in a bland, cosy way

'Liv Ullmann synth pop' was a great line from Taylor.

daf

From what I can gather, they've already filmed themselves playing the concert (in these motion capture suits) - so the vocals and movements should all be theirs (rather than animated like a Thunderbird)

Would be a nice bonus on the (inevitable) concert DVD/blu-ray to get a few of their performances with the option to see them as they actually look now.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on September 02, 2021, 07:35:27 PM
Simon Price tweeted that the hologram set up could be a way for prices to be kept relatively low and for more people to see the concerts. Someone in his replies said they'd heard prices start at £21, although I'm not sure how true that is.

I paid a tenner to see stop making sense in a cinema.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: daf on September 02, 2021, 08:20:13 PM
Is that a real track list?

I copied it from a tweet by Pete Paphides, who said he got it from some music site's pre-order info.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Captain Z on September 02, 2021, 08:03:37 PM
You can perform with hologram ABBA at the ABBA museum in Stockholm.

I've been there and done it. It's shit but at least the admission fee includes seeing actual real life outfits and not just fucking drawings of them or whatever. Not interested in paying a single penny to see a hologram of anything.

sevendaughters

one new song is passable, the other in need of mercy killing. ABBA are one of the greats but no one needs this.

Custard

Originally it was just gonna be two new songs, wasn't it, to "celebrate" the hologram show. But then it went quiet for a few years, and now it's a full album

I don't think they're really doing it for the money, as obviously records hardly make anything these days, and they must already be swimming in £50 notes. So maybe, possibly, they've done this purely for the fun of it

Is a bit bleak seeing them as middle-aged people in tennis ball outfits, mind

daf

Anyone got Norris McWhirter's phone number? This must be a record for the longest gap between albums (40 years) - and with all the original members!

poodlefaker

Quote from: thecuriousorange on September 02, 2021, 07:57:48 PM
But why even go to the event, rather than watch the holograms on TV at home? Will people be that desperate for stuff to do after Covid?

Mate, people fucking looooove ABBA. If someone just got up on stage and stuck ABBA GOLD in a CD player and put the words up on a big screen you could sell out Wembley for ten nights at fifty quid a ticket. Baying for encores they would be.

Dr Rock

The world is fucked, we need Abba.

It would only be OK if each member was backstage at the shows, pressing buttons and widdling joysticks to puppet their avatar in real time.

DrGreggles

Better than Free As A Bird.