Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:04:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donda Sunday Happy Days (new Kanye West album)

Started by sevendaughters, August 29, 2021, 02:24:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcy

There's rumours that Donda is just the beginning of multiple releases. I really wish he had released Jesus Is King 2 that him and Dr Dre remixed. The tracks that leaked actually gave me a bit of interest in what Kanye was up to musically.

Intro/Every Hour/Selah was a brilliant track. I played it several times a day for a while, an album of that would have been great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Hao4_tuXEE

Searched on YT for it not expecting it to be there as he was pulling all the stuff he did with Dre anytime it was uploaded but it's there.

peanutbutter

Quote from: Malcy on September 03, 2021, 06:20:50 PM
There's rumours that Donda is just the beginning of multiple releases
After basically every release of his in the last decade he's announced new shit that never happens. Just feels like him coming down from a manic episode

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: peanutbutter on September 03, 2021, 06:24:51 PM
After basically every release of his in the last decade he's announced new shit that never happens. Just feels like him coming down from a manic episode

I genuinely wonder how much of Dr Dre's Detox actually got completed before he chucked it in the bin. For a while it was like the Duke Nukem Forever of rap albums; although thinking about it maybe it's better it did go in the bin.

Malcy

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 03, 2021, 06:30:11 PM
I genuinely wonder how much of Dr Dre's Detox actually got completed before he chucked it in the bin. For a while it was like the Duke Nukem Forever of rap albums; although thinking about it maybe it's better it did go in the bin.

1000's of tracks. I have at least 2 or 3 albums worth of tracks intended for it and other released songs that beats were originally for Detox. Several versions have been completed. With the divorce, he's been in the studio pretty much since he nearly died and everyone from Grandmaster Flash to Flavor Flav has either heard what he cooked up or contributed to it in some way.

Happy to zip and and Google Drive what I have if anyone wants a listen without derailing this thread. I've been collecting rare tracks from Dre for years and a person bought a storage locker this year which belonged to a bigwig at Aftermath which was rammed full of demos etc.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Malcy on September 03, 2021, 07:02:08 PM
1000's of tracks. I have at least 2 or 3 albums worth of tracks intended for it and other released songs that beats were originally for Detox. Several versions have been completed. With the divorce, he's been in the studio pretty much since he nearly died and everyone from Grandmaster Flash to Flavor Flav has either heard what he cooked up or contributed to it in some way.

Happy to zip and and Google Drive what I have if anyone wants a listen without derailing this thread. I've been collecting rare tracks from Dre for years and a person bought a storage locker this year which belonged to a bigwig at Aftermath which was rammed full of demos etc.

Oh wow, I didn't realise there was so much stuff, the rumours started coming out straight after 2001, when I was still in school and some of it even at the time sounded like made up playground hyperbole, so in my mind it's still this amazing but ethereal thing. I didn't realise there had been lots of leaked tracks and roughs (as I'd not really looked).

I'd take you up on the drive offer (and still might) but it's clear there's some fairly basic surface scratching I ought to do before that.

I quite liked the stuff he put out as a soundtrack/side release to Straight Outta Compton, although I've not really listened to it much since.

Malcy

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 03, 2021, 07:05:17 PM
Oh wow, I didn't realise there was so much stuff, the rumours started coming out straight after 2001, when I was still in school and some of it even at the time sounded like made up playground hyperbole, so in my mind it's still this amazing but ethereal thing. I didn't realise there had been lots of leaked tracks and roughs (as I'd not really looked).

I'd take you up on the drive offer (and still might) but it's clear there's some fairly basic surface scratching I ought to do before that.

There really isn't that much to know. Well there is but you'd never be done looking into it!

I'll get everything together over the weekend and get it uploaded. My files are all on different drives and I've been meaning to collate it all for ages so this will give me a good excuse to do it. I even have a bit of a track he made for his version of Gustav Holst's The Planets. Never mind Detox, that's the album I really wanted!

peanutbutter

Wasn't a lot of what was originally meant to be Detox actually used on the 50 Cent album? He continued toying with stuff for years after that but not necessarily all focused on being for one specific album.

Should revisit Compton, remember thinking that album was shockingly good on release

Malcy

Quote from: peanutbutter on September 03, 2021, 07:18:32 PM
Wasn't a lot of what was originally meant to be Detox actually used on the 50 Cent album? He continued toying with stuff for years after that but not necessarily all focused on being for one specific album.

Yeah it was. I've always wondered if this is when scrapping numerous versions of Detox started. Maybe he thought it better suited to 50 and decided to then go with a different sound and this has just happened over and over since. On The Game's Aftermath debut, i forget the name came out, the track 'Higher@ had Dre appear out of nowhere and say "Look out for Detox".

Should revisit Compton, remember thinking that album was shockingly good on release

Malcy

Just wrote a big reply and it just had your quote and nothing else. Fuck sake. Yeah it was 50 and I reckon he decided it was better suited to him or maybe Eminem didn't quite know what to do with him and asked Dre for help. 50 himself pretty much said he ended up on Shady/Aftermath as Dre didn't want him so it seems like he was doing him a solid, then him giving his stuff to others and trying something different kept happening at least yearly since.

mr. logic

I think when they signed 50 they had a pretty clear vision for what his label debut was going to sound like. There was a clear marketing vision in place there, and the hype was astonishing. I would be surprised if Dre needed to be asked specifically to help- I assume he was a big creative partner from the start.

Sebastian Cobb

Yeah 50 Cent sounds different to a lot of Dre's own stuff (as does a lot of Dre's production for other artists).

chveik

the one Kanye album i regret he didn't release is So Help Me God. not arsed about the Yandhi stuff

sevendaughters

I listened to the first three tracks off the new Drake on my way home from work. As "event rap" releases go it sounds much more fired up and exciting, more in command of whatever it is trying to say. Of course it might tail off over the record, but I'm going to guess these guys work their underpaid minions' fingers to the bone so that it doesn't. Not much of a man of Drake's thing but feels like he 'won' this round. Fuck am I saying?

Johnny Textface

"Compton" is very underrated imho. Some absolute bangers on it, but it also flows really well as an album.

chveik

Quote from: sevendaughters on September 04, 2021, 10:34:15 AM
I listened to the first three tracks off the new Drake on my way home from work. As "event rap" releases go it sounds much more fired up and exciting, more in command of whatever it is trying to say. Of course it might tail off over the record, but I'm going to guess these guys work their underpaid minions' fingers to the bone so that it doesn't. Not much of a man of Drake's thing but feels like he 'won' this round. Fuck am I saying?

nah even in terms of generic trap it's pure garbage i'm afraid

famethrowa

Quote from: sevendaughters on August 31, 2021, 12:46:37 PM
I've just gone back to the article that made me take seriously the idea of taking Kanye seriously, and it's still very good, and what is more it was written by Lou Reed:

https://www.talkhouse.com/lou-reed-of-the-velvet-underground-talks-kanye-wests-yeezus/

I've always suspected that Lou was a rather stupid, dull person, the archetype of hiding your brainlessness behind being arch and prickly. Seems I was right. Kanye could blindfold himself and cut and drag seven different song clips into his workspace, call it a song and Lou would be like "what a genius"

sevendaughters

Quote from: famethrowa on September 05, 2021, 06:43:14 AM
I've always suspected that Lou was a rather stupid, dull person, the archetype of hiding your brainlessness behind being arch and prickly. Seems I was right. Kanye could blindfold himself and cut and drag seven different song clips into his workspace, call it a song and Lou would be like "what a genius"

I don't really agree with Reed on some of what he says, and he isn't without criticism, but I think his attempt to empathise and understand could be an object lesson you have entirely missed the point of.

up_the_hampipe

Deluxe version of Donda is out now. Finally got Life Of The Party on there, but a weird version where Andre 3000's naughty words are bleeped. Not just blanked out, actual bleeps!. Also the tracklist has been rearranged to have all the most popular songs at the top, and some odd choices such as Jesus Lord Pt 2 and the new Remote Control Pt 2 coming before the originals. The other new tracks are Come to Life, Up From The Ashes and Never Abandon Your Family. Otherwise some mix changes here and there, as you'd expect.

Malcy

Just wish he would drop Jesus Is King 2 that he did with Dre rather than expand on this crap. The Eminem track leaked recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5CVHdbgp94

Well a snippet anyway.