Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:47:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Kida-mnesia

Started by Glyn, September 07, 2021, 05:02:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glyn

https://kida-mnesia.com/

Radiohead have announced a combined anniversary edition of Kid A and Amnesiac.

Slightly disappointed at the relative lack of 'new' material (compared to the OKNOTOK box set) but perhaps they felt a bit burnt by the minidisc  leak. They also don't have a great track record with untitled tracks so seeing 3 of them here is a bit worrying. Regardless they have my money as I love both of these albums.

Teaser track If You Say The Word can be found here :https://youtu.be/Jj2nX2BDTYY

Pancake

That pack of tapes is awesome. If I had 60 boys to spunk I'd definitely get that for the car, obviously as a massively pretentious affectation, as I am won't to do.

brat-sampson

Yeah, burying a few tracks exclusively on the cassette set is a bit much, even for them, but hey ho. Looking forward to adding another vinyl set to my collection. I'm sure the tape contents will be made available soon enough...

Johnny Textface

Are these re-masters or re-mixed do we know? (obvs remixed as in the studio desk sense of the word).

purlieu

Quote from: brat-sampson on September 07, 2021, 06:11:00 PM
Yeah, burying a few tracks exclusively on the cassette set is a bit much, even for them, but hey ho.
They did exactly that with OK Computer, to be fair.

Pretty disappointed by the lack of b-sides. 'Worrywort', 'The Amazing Sounds of Orgy', 'Fog' and - particularly - 'Cuttooth' are all magnificent, would be nice to have a proper release combining them all. I know there's the 2009-ish 2CD reissue, but I was hoping for a kind of 'definitive' version here.

popcorn

Yeah it's disappointing that seemingly 1) only some of the B-sides are included and 2) the music isn't remastered. Seemingly a much less complete package than the OKNOTOK reissue a few years ago.

The disc of new material should be interesting though. Though, again, I was hoping for a lot more than there is here considering the scope of these albums and the recording sessions, and the scale of stuff we got for OKC.

purlieu

Yeah, five b-sides on the cassette alone is pretty poor going. Given that the cassette is 70 minutes long, that means the bonus CD is only 35 minutes - more than enough time to fit the seven b-sides on the same CD.

popcorn

The partial B-sides really is a baffling decision. I can't imagine what brought it on.

popcorn

If You Say the Word is all right - Can influence is obvious, and there are some very Kid A sound effects, but strangely it reminds me most of all of one of the underproduced OK Computer b-sides.

IMO the most interesting thing will be seeing how these unreleased tracks shed any light on the recording sessions themselves.

Video Game Fan 2000

Disappointing! No bsides but studio version of Follow Me Around feels like a troll.

I didn't think we'd ever get to hear Say The Word and its good, but there's stuff mentioned in the past that would've been good to hear - original I Will, "Jonny's Scott Walker Song", full band Everything in its Right place before Thom and Colin reworked it, etc.

The OKC leak probably burned them on doing anything more extensive. 

Video Game Fan 2000

Pay just £100 more to relive the authentic Kid A experience by having random tracks on your copy replaced by Be Quiet and Drive, Focus Pocus and an exclusive live bootleg of Pulled Apart By Horses. (offer only avaliable to people willing to unplug their parents landlines for a minimum of forty eight hours)

popcorn

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on September 07, 2021, 08:40:58 PM
Disappointing! No bsides but studio version of Follow Me Around feels like a troll.

There are some B-sides, just not all of them. Which is even more confusing.

I didn't think we'd ever get to hear Say The Word and its good, but there's stuff mentioned in the past that would've been good to hear - original I Will, "Jonny's Scott Walker Song", full band Everything in its Right place before Thom and Colin reworked it, etc.

Yeah just hearing you mention those names makes me feel more disappointed about the massive pile of stuff they're apparently still gonna sit on. I thought the OKC reissue (with the extra tape of stuff) was wicked but when the Minidisc leak happened it made me realise there was, like, an extra hour of worthwhile stuff they could have added.

I think they're a bit too careful with the curation - it seems like they've tried really hard to make a legit new album of those offshoots this time, which is a really interesting approach but, considering the material wasn't good enough for release in the first place, makes me think it would be better off presented as another big historical archive.

Video Game Fan 2000

It must be impossible to do archive releases when you've got egos the size of the moon and the fanbase is divided between "I can't wait to hear how terrible this was lol" and "I can't wait to hear my fav songs before they utterly destroyed them"

Confirmation that "Innocence Civilian" actually existed and was an early version "Stand Up, Sit Down" which involved tapeloops of band marching on gravel just had me hoping to hear some right howlers.

Its hard not to imagine that the original versions of a lot of the songs from later records would be better, they work stuff to death and the qualtiy of the bsides shows they were better when they let themselves get a bit lose and not varnish everything to a mirror shine. Loads of stuff must exist in both band-only and electronic-only forms we won't get to hear.

purlieu

Quote from: popcorn on September 07, 2021, 08:48:10 PM
There are some B-sides, just not all of them. Which is even more confusing.
Only on the cassette edition, though. The 3CD, 3LP and download versions don't have any.

£60 for the double cassette! Wild.

It's really disappointing there aren't any b-sides on the triple vinyl. I didn't realise that before I spent £40 on it at 4.01pm. And the double versions of both the albums that were reissued a few years ago sound incredible anyway. Oh well.

amateur

Title feels quite on the nose. Maybe they've discovered whimsy in their dotage.

If You Say The Word sounds like Radiohead, sure it will make Radiohead fans happy (I don't care for Radiohead).

Key

I think the Untitled tracks might just alternate versions of the hidden track (Genchildren)
Say The Word is nice, if a little timid sounding. It has the ondes martinot and the shuffly groove but structurally still sounds like 90s Radiohead.

ProvanFan

Gave them enough of my money in the 00s, it feels nice not giving a fuck about their sixty quid tapes. Will check out the unheard stuff when available, mind.

If Yorke has disowned Worrywort maybe there'll be a reissue of The Eraser with all tracks omitted.

popcorn

Quote from: Key on September 08, 2021, 10:37:24 AM
I think the Untitled tracks might just alternate versions of the hidden track (Genchildren)

I don't think so.

the video in this tweet has some kind of new track in it that I suspect, based on the track length, is Untiled v1 on the new disc. Because it contains several sounds I recognise from old tracks I have a feeling it's a new collage composition they made specifically for this new album. in which case they're going for a new sort of thing for this reissue, actually making new stuff.

(Of course Man of War from OKNOTK seems to have been a new recording too, but that was because it was submitted for the Bond film and rejected, and then I suppose they just decided to chuck it into the OKC reissue.)

The Mollusk

This looks like total unmitigated shit for cunts.

Key

Quote from: popcorn on September 08, 2021, 11:18:07 AM
I don't think so.

the video in this tweet has some kind of new track in it that I suspect, based on the track length, is Untiled v1 on the new disc. Because it contains several sounds I recognise from old tracks I have a feeling it's a new collage composition they made specifically for this new album. in which case they're going for a new sort of thing for this reissue, actually making new stuff.

Ah well that's good. Maybe I was being a bit pessimistic, I am a Radiohead fan after all.

Nice to hear lots of musique concrete style burbles in that track. I gather a lot of these sessions included pissing around with synths and samplers so I'm not expecting any lost anthems here.

Ascent

I had such a bad time getting hold of the OKNOTOK box set from the WASTE store (never got delivered by Yodel, and they refiused to help and claimed that a single line squiggle was proof of me signing for it, fortunately I paid with PayPayl and they gave me a refund) that I have been reluctant to order anything direct from Radiohead ever again. However these are two of my favourite albums, so I thought I would take a look.

I like the look of the vinyl set, but then I noticed the situation with only the cassettes having all the tracks, so I though forget it, this feels a bit exploitative. So I checked out just buying the audio files - they want more money if you buy the WAV versions instead of mp3s

Forget it! I hate the feeling of being ripped off.

popcorn

yes I'm content to just listen on Spotify. Boxsets are nice for people who like boxsets - but then why not make it a proper, complete, bells-and-whistles boxset with everything in it? Odd.

Here's Jonny Greenwood's wife on Twitter

QuoteI would like to support all the young children in Israel that are not aloud to go to school because their parents didn't inject them with an experiment vaccine.  Stay strong. This is like Germany in the 1940. Shame on you

Hope he doesn't get covid and die

Video Game Fan 2000

I bet "If You Say The Word" has recently overdubbed vocals and drums, I'd say the same is true for some of the outtakes on the OK Computer reissue. Sadly they don't care about archiving and preservation much at all.

ProvanFan

Quote from: The Mollusk on September 08, 2021, 01:13:53 PM
This looks like total unmitigated shit for cunts.

Unmitigated (shit for cunts)
Regular exercise at the gym

Custard

Yeah, they're taking the piss with this one. A definitive boxset of that whole period could've been great, but just lobbing out the two albums again with a little smattering of bonus bits is pretty shit. And cassettes can fuck right off

I wouldn't mind that art book, but £30? No thanks bruv

popcorn

Quote from: Shameless Custard on September 08, 2021, 07:34:50 PM
And cassettes can fuck right off

That's another weird detail - why cassettes? They were still around in 1997, so kinda made sense as a gag for the OKC reissue, but not for the digital landscapes of Kid A surely.

imitationleather

It's because hipsters collect cassettes now.

purlieu

As someone who's released a lot of stuff on cassette, I have no problem with the format, but the price is fucking ludicrous. The OK Computer one was fine because it was basically a mixtape of lo-fi demos and stuff so it worked for the format, and came as part of a box set. But paying that much for two tapes - and the only way to get (some of the) b-sides - when the manufacturing cost was probably about a tenner is awful. Especially as they could easily have fit all the b-sides on the third disc of a 3CD set that's less than a third of the price.
I remember back in the early '00s when WASTE was a really good customer-facing merch thing, and now they've basically decided to fuck it and just fleece their fans.

shiftwork2

My two favourite Radiohead albums that I've revisited thanks to this release with no intention to purchase again, nice one boys