Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:05:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Hawkeye (24/11/2021 Disney+)

Started by mothman, September 21, 2021, 12:38:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mothman

https://youtu.be/5VYb3B1ETlk

This is the one that's until recently had people the least enthused about - Jeremy Renner's contractual swan-song and hand-over to Hawkeye 2.0. But, I'm not sure, this almost looks like this could be - whisper it - fun..?

I've always quite liked the MCU version of Clint Barton. He was the semi-hapless wisecracking Everyman, the BMX Bandit in a team of Angel Summoners. I think Renner's got some good comedic chops, the idea of a mad Christmas-set romp appeals, a bit Die Hard, a bit both Home Alones, maybe even slightly Happy! s1.

Of course if you loathe the MCU then this probably isn't going to be your thing!

Bit concerned Laura Barton doesn't seem to be in this. I presume there's a good reason and they've not done the classic Hollywood thing of "Oh, they broke up because that's what everyone does in America." They probably didn't want to have to pay Linda Cardellini for what would be a cameo (not that she had a lot to do in Ultron or Endgame, but still)...

C_Larence

Honestly surprised they're making this after the issues in his personal life came to light (cocaine addiction, spousal abuse, failed app, etc)

Small Man Big Horse

I'm a big MCU fan in general but I'll be skipping this one, the combination of finding Jeremy Renner a really shit actor and not liking the character of Hawkeye means it's not for me. That said from the trailer the new, young replacement looks fun so I hope they keep her around for the movies as seems planned.

frajer

Even with Renner proving quite a painful cardboard presence these days (I swear he used to be good in films) I'm well up for this.

They look to be heavily drawing from Matt Fraction and David Aja's comics run (Pizza Dog and Tracksuit Guys!) which is a great bedrock for a telly run. I am also liking the Christmas setting, it feels like a big nod to Shane Black. If they can approximate even some of Black's wisecracking action shenanigans it should be good fun.

Lord Mandrake

Looking forward to
Spoiler alert
Vincent D'Onofrio reprising his Wilson Fisk in this, unconfirmed but inevitable.
[close]

Spider-Man NWH releases whilst this airs.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: frajer on September 21, 2021, 10:47:22 AM
They look to be heavily drawing from Matt Fraction and David Aja's comics run (Pizza Dog and Tracksuit Guys!) which is a great bedrock for a telly run
"Oh, right! So now I have to do fractions just to understand what's happening in the next ten films that I don't even want to watch?!"

frajer

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on September 21, 2021, 06:01:47 PM
"Oh, right! So now I have to do fractions just to understand what's happening in the next ten films that I don't even want to watch?!"

Please answer how episodes 1 through 3 fit into the wider multiverse and show your workings.

mjwilson

Quote from: mothman on September 21, 2021, 12:38:04 AM
Bit concerned Laura Barton doesn't seem to be in this. I presume there's a good reason and they've not done the classic Hollywood thing of "Oh, they broke up because that's what everyone does in America." They probably didn't want to have to pay Linda Cardellini for what would be a cameo (not that she had a lot to do in Ultron or Endgame, but still)...

Minor spoiler, maybe, based just on what comics they are adapting...
Spoiler alert

They are adapting a comics run where Hawkeye doesn't have a family, so, from the trailer, it looks like they are going to start by sending his family out of town. I guess they see the musical, have a meal, then "oh it looks like something dangerous is about to happen, you should leave this TV show now."
[close]

Glebe

Surprisingly fun trailer. Am now somewhat arsed with this.

Lord Mandrake

Quote from: mjwilson on September 21, 2021, 06:06:27 PM
Minor spoiler, maybe, based just on what comics they are adapting...
Spoiler alert

They are adapting a comics run where Hawkeye doesn't have a family, so, from the trailer, it looks like they are going to start by sending his family out of town. I guess they see the musical, have a meal, then "oh it looks like something dangerous is about to happen, you should leave this TV show now."
[close]

For the five years prior to Endgame he basically became a serial killer Ronin, albeit of crime lords. Plenty of people with aggro plus Yelena hunting him. Hope this fleshes out the NYC underworld. 

Blue Jam

What's Lalo Salamanca like in this?

mothman

Blue Jam

Heheheh... didn't spot him in the trailer, but he's a baddie, right? Has to be. I hope he has the 'tache as well.

mothman

Plays Jack Duquesne, aka Swordsman, "Clint's early mentor." Nope, me neither. Not a Marvel character I'm familiar with.

Povidone

Pretty goofy comic character so I imagine they'll make siginficant changes with look/back story as they did with Hawkeye. Though I would pay good money to see Tony Dalton cutting about like this:

I also thought the trailer was fun, guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Hope they do the Swordsman story where he dies and his corpse is taken over by a tree and marries Mantis.

SteveDave

I hate the bow and arrow actor. He's the worst. On par with Marky Mark for film cancer.

dissolute ocelot

Not a M*A*S*H reboot/prequel? Still, at least it's not an adaptation of the camp, racist, but oddly enjoyable James Fenimore Cooper novels.

I refuse to believe anyone really cares about Hawkeye much, but Renner is a reasonable actor and seems to be becoming increasingly craggy and chubby and turning into William H Macy. And The Falcon and the Winter Soldier was sometimes very good, even if they tried to cram too much in, too many diversions, and got hopelessly messy (and Loki kind of did the same, as far as I could be bothered to discern). If they're doing something more lighthearted and straightforward, I don't see why it wouldn't be enjoyable at least some of the time. And isn't that what Christmas is all about?

phantom_power

I think he grew into the role over the course of the films, and definitely has his best showing in Endgame. He is also good in Tag and the MI films. But then Marky Mark (minus The Funky Bunch) is really good in Boogie Nights, I Heart Huckabees and Three Kings despite being dogshit in everything else

Lord Mandrake

An odious cunt but his turns in The Departed and The Fighter are pretty good.

Blue Jam

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on September 22, 2021, 12:29:29 PM
Not a M*A*S*H reboot/prequel?

I'm just disappointed that it's not a three-hour documentary on the technology that tells viewers at home when the cue ball is on the wrong side of the blue.

mothman

Damn, this has started and I still haven't seen Black Widow; do I need to?

Blue Jam

Is there a Disney+ free trial or something? I'm generally cigs about Marvel stuff but I really want to see Lalo Salamanca cutting a dash with a big fuck-off sword.

Exposition

The first two episodes were pretty rough.

purlieu

Tentatively interested - Hawkeye's a fairly light character which could have potential - but the previously tortuous 'should have been a 75 minute TV special rather than a full series' passing the mantle exercise of Falcon and Winter Soldier has definitely made me very wary. Will probably trudge through when the whole thing's finished.

mjwilson

Quote from: mothman on November 24, 2021, 06:37:38 PMDamn, this has started and I still haven't seen Black Widow; do I need to?

You can certainaly watch the first two episodes without seeing Black Widow. Not sure that will be true for the whole show.

I thought this was fun enough, and a bit more light-hearted than previous shows. (Well OK, Wandavision was literally a sitcom. But compared to things like Falcon, at least.)

The Culture Bunker

Enjoyed the first two eps. Renner is good value playing the exasperated mentor figure. Not quite sure about yer man from 'Better Call Saul' as creepy step-dad figure who doubtless turns out to be behind everything, but we'll see.

olliebean

Watched episode 1. Not convinced that female Hawkeye is going to be any more interesting than male Hawkeye. Will give episode 2 a go, but it's going to have to impress me a lot more than episode 1 did.

The Culture Bunker

Yeah, if there's one big weakness of Kate, is that people with obscene wealth are quite hard to have any sympathy for. Tony Stark we were supposed to think was a bit of a bellend, but I'm sure they're not trying for that angle here.

Though presumably it's a plot-point as the money woes her parents were arguing over in the first scene all seem to have gone by the time we get to the current day. Mother dearest involved in some shady business, probably.