Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:39:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

RTD back for Doctor Who

Started by Jack Shaftoe, September 24, 2021, 04:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Really fucking happy about this, I've issues with some of RTD's ideas but some of his episodes I absolutely loved, and even at his worst he was a million times better than Chibnall. I'd given up being excited about Who and presumed whoever replaced Chibnall wouldn't exactly set the world on fire, but this is superb news and I can't wait to see what he'll do with the show now.

Natnar

I thought there might be a tiny chance RTD would come back for the 60th but to have him come back full time was a bit of a shock. It'll be interesting to see what RTD's approach to writing new Who will be.

Midas

This does makes the previous statements about "radical change" and "the new generation of Doctor Who" look a bit odd though.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Replies From View on September 24, 2021, 05:12:45 PM
I don't know whether such a shit person would be able to feel mortified.  Chibnall probably hasn't put all these pieces together.

It almost certainly won't have occurred to him. He'll just amble on obliviously, secure in his delusion that he wrote some good Doctor Who episodes. Although I'm not sure he'll even think that. It's difficult to imagine Chris Chibnall really thinking about anything.

Anyway, I for one welcome back our old Welsh overlord.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Midas on September 24, 2021, 05:58:54 PM
This does makes the previous statements about "radical change" and "the new generation of Doctor Who" look a bit odd though.

I suppose it's a radical change in the sense that Chris Chibnall is a terrible writer and RTD isn't. And his return will, hopefully, attract a whole new generation of fans.

Leo2112

Bad Wolf Company confirmed as producers of the new series

https://twitter.com/BadWolf_TV/status/1441407974761635846
QuoteWe are delighted to be joining Russell T Davies on a looped ontological paradox. Where Russell goes, we are proud to follow-and that with BBC Studios, Bad Wolf will be producing the all-new series of Doctor Who. It is a privilege to be asked to support him in Doctor Who's future.

They've made some decent series recently - His Dark Materials, A Discovery of Witches and The Night Of.

Mister Six

Simultaneously delighted by this news and vaguely perturbed. On the one hand, it'll be a Who with great dialogue and vim and ideas again. On the other, it smacks of a desperate move to stop it from falling once more into permanent hiatus. If people are still reticent to take over the show after the shitness of Chibnall, I can't imagine they'll be thrilled to do so after a bunch of fun and funny (with dark/perverse undercurrents) RTD Who episodes.

This is assuming he's sticking around for a while. I assume the 60th is locked on, and at least one more series, but the hunt much be on for his replacement, right?

Just hope he doesn't work himself into the ground again. And that we get another Writer's Tale out of it.

Replies From View

Quote from: Midas on September 24, 2021, 05:58:54 PM

My honest guess is that RTD will be the new "safe pair of hands" for only a few years, after Chibnall failed to fill this role.

I suspect a radical change etc is on the horizon, but swapping out Chibnall for RTD in the short term was something that urgently needed to be done.

pigamus

When Harold Wilson came back for a second time, he said, right, I'm going to let the younger lads do the work now. He desperately needs to bring on some new writers.

JamesTC

Quote from: Replies From View on September 24, 2021, 06:54:57 PM
My honest guess is that RTD will be the new "safe pair of hands" for only a few years, after Chibnall failed to fill this role.

I suspect a radical change etc is on the horizon, but swapping out Chibnall for RTD in the short term was something that urgently needed to be done.

Yeah, a stopgap until they find a replacement. Perhaps with the BBC telling him it is either him doing it or the show is rested until they find the right person to do it.

My guess is the 60th and two series before moving on as that'll have given the BBC enough time to find the right person.

Kelvin

Better that the show is put on hiatus after RTD has (hopefully) re-established the quality, continuity and core principles that viewers should expect, and future reboots should aim for, as opposed to it going on hiatus after Chibnall drives it into the ground and wrecks it's future in the process.

daf

Quote from: Leo2112 on September 24, 2021, 06:15:24 PM
Bad Wolf Company confirmed as producers of the new series

Is this the first 'independent' company to produce it, rather than it being made 'in-house' by BBC Wales (i.e. did Moffatt or Chibnall have their own production companies?)

Replies From View

Quote from: pigamus on September 24, 2021, 06:59:44 PM
When Harold Wilson came back for a second time, he said, right, I'm going to let the younger lads do the work now. He desperately needs to bring on some new writers.

And Winston Churchill.

When he came back the second time he was like "when Harold Wilson gets in I am going to freshen myself up and everyone will think I am so young"

Psybro

Quote from: Psybro on August 01, 2021, 09:59:01 AM
Can we not get RTD back in? Unlike Moffat, I thought his regular season stories were getting better as time went on. He probably doesn't want to but we can blackmail him.

I'm not too big not to say I absolutely nailed this.

Replies From View

Quote from: Kelvin on September 24, 2021, 07:03:40 PM
Better that the show is put on hiatus after RTD has (hopefully) re-established the quality, continuity and core principles that viewers should expect, and future reboots should aim for, as opposed to it going on hiatus after Chibnall drives it into the ground and wrecks it's future in the process.

Another thought occurs, by the way.

Around the time that RTD agreed the handover to Moffat, I understand that RTD began to allow his successor influence over little details so that the playing pieces would be in place for the transition to be smooth.  So fuck knows why, but The Doctor's Daughter ended with Jenny surviving in case Moffat wanted to use her at a later date.  There were less shit examples as well, I just can't think of them right now.  (Edited to add:  Moffat requested for the Daleks not to be used in the 2009 specials so they would have a chance to feel fresh again.)

Anyway, I am mentioning this because maybe the Timeless Children guff sent alarm bells ringing to such an extent that it was decided RTD needed to step in, and now RTD has been allowed to influence the trajectory of the development of that storyline so that it's where he wants it to be when he takes over.  I mean how can that not be the case now?

It's just a thought.  Maybe the series 13 development of the Timeless Child bullshit will be influenced more by RTD's wishes than we'll be told.

Bernice

Harold Wilson's tenure was a real nadir for Doctor Who, in my opinion.

The Roofdog

Holy shit, only just seen the news. The BBC's finger must have literally been hovering over the cancel button. Looking forward to RTD leaving again so we can get The Writer's Tale 2 and figure out what went on here.

Malcy

Quote from: Psybro on September 24, 2021, 07:13:45 PM
I'm not too big not to say I absolutely nailed this.

What did you blackmail him with?

pigamus

Quote from: Bernice on September 24, 2021, 07:16:50 PM
Harold Wilson's tenure was a real nadir for Doctor Who, in my opinion.

He was furious when Alec Douglas-Home got the Dalek films

Jerzy Bondov

Agree that RTD Who 2 will probably be very different to the first time round. Can't wait to see what he's come up with to be honest.

Chairman Yang

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on September 24, 2021, 07:58:09 PM
Agree that RTD Who 2 will probably be very different to the first time round. Can't wait to see what he's come up with to be honest.

Yeah I've gone from relief to actual curiosity now, Years and Years had a big smell of Doctor Who to it and RTD seems to have some genuine political opinions, also the world has really gone to shit since he last wrote for the show.

Midas

The BIG question is... will Murray Gold be back???

jamiefairlie

Quote from: pigamus on September 24, 2021, 07:37:10 PM
He was furious when Alec Douglas-Home got the Dalek films

Hee hee 😛

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Chairman Yang on September 24, 2021, 08:06:32 PM
Yeah I've gone from relief to actual curiosity now, Years and Years had a big smell of Doctor Who to it and RTD seems to have some genuine political opinions, also the world has really gone to shit since he last wrote for the show.

Nothing will date it more than contemporary British politics.

Replies From View

Quote from: Midas on September 24, 2021, 08:10:41 PM
The BIG question is... will Murray Gold be back???

I was thinking this.  I doubt it though, as he has only just left.  So we are likely going to be in the interesting position of RTD Who without Murray Gold.

Midas

I had a friend who went to see a performance of Murray Gold's Doctor Who score performed by the BBC National Orchestra of Wales and apparently when they began playing, it was so soul-shatteringly bombastic the Royal Albert Hall collapsed in on itself and killed everyone in the building. They only managed a single diddly-dum.

Midas

A distinctive electronic score would be nice.

The Roofdog

Quote from: Chairman Yang on September 24, 2021, 08:06:32 PM

This is the thing, I never really got on with S4 and then he had bloody Miracle Day so it's fair to say I was more than ready for Moffat at the time, but everything RTD has done since has been astonishing, he's at the height of his powers.

The Roofdog

Quote from: Midas on September 24, 2021, 08:30:06 PM
A distinctive electronic score would be nice.

Keep Segun Akinola then, the one and only decent thing about the Chibnall run.

Natnar

So what will the timeline be? Jodie & Chibnall bowing out at the end of 2022 after 3 specials followed by 2023 RTD series with the new doctor which could end with the 60th anniversary special?