Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:28:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Coogan to play Savile on telly

Started by Phoenix Lazarus, September 26, 2021, 07:47:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Steve Coogan's been cast as the lead in the forthcoming BBC drama about Jimmy Savile called The Reckoning.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/2021/the-reckoning-casting

Shoulders?-Stomach!

thenoise

Not to mention a certain Scotsman who has been playing the part on stage (and TV) for years. And called him out as a paedo twenty years before anyone else did (nudge nudge innuendo aside).

Quote from: thenoise on September 26, 2021, 07:57:59 AM
Not to mention a certain Scotsman who has been playing the part on stage (and TV) for years. And called him out as a paedo twenty years before anyone else did (nudge nudge innuendo aside).

Along with Johnny Rotten, who I think would be good in the lead role if he could do a northern accent.

pigamus

Who's playing Mrs Thatcher in this then? Yeah, right.

Fambo Number Mive

Butchers Blind

Norton Canes

Joe Oakes

Quote from: Butchers Blind on September 26, 2021, 09:21:55 AM
The BBC.

Always nice to see the BBC profit off a tragedy they helped to create.

Zetetic

Better that the BBC does nothing to support public sense-making of the whole thing?

jobotic

Joe Oakes

Quote from: Zetetic on September 26, 2021, 09:38:05 AM
Better that the BBC does nothing to support public sense-making of the whole thing?

There must be a middle ground between doing nothing and commissioning a TV drama about Saville.

Of course, this will be a sensitive and non-salacious version of events with a focus on the victims. But still feels like a conflict of interest, especially when they still haven't acknowledged enabling other well-known peodophillic ex-BBC presenters such as Tim Westwood. Maybe they can get Coogan to play him too, seeing as he has great experience playing characters from Norwich.

thenoise

Sacha Baron-Cohen can do Westwood. If the rumours are true about Wiley, maybe we can dig up Richard Blackwood and do two paedo-docs in one.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

NONCE!

pigamus

Nobody wants to see That Act on telly again. It's just too horrible no matter how well it's done. And I don't see how else you can do Savile because the act was all there was.

Butchers Blind

FsF

That one remaining Grumbleweed will be aghast to hear this.

chveik

savile eh? that guy was a real jerk!

pancreas

Anything less than the dramatic realism of watching Coogan belting a leukaemic child up the arse will be both-sidesing if you ask me.

Alan Partridge did a very brief Saville impression in This Time, so that must have helped Coogan get the gig.

chveik

when i hear the words BBC drama i reach for my handgun

imitationleather

These true crime dramas always barely feature the criminal and what they got up to and just focus on the boring cunt police officers instead.

They are all totally shit.

Not sure I'm happy with Coogan's serious acting to begin with. I know these funnymen like to be taken seriously, but there's just no way.
Coogan in a shellsuit with jangly jewellery, looking pensive out a window or whatever? This is gonna be a car crash.

Yeah, they've got a fucking nerve alright.

JamesTC

Cold Meat Platter

Captain Z

with Trevor Eve. Fridays at 9, on BBC1.

Cold Meat Platter

I think it'll be worthwhile if it explores how someone with ruthlessness, a natural flair for communication, PR and manipulation and a lack of ethics can rise very far from a very humble start, do evil and conceal it while remaining publicly admired.

pigamus

It's not about Angela Rayner though is it.