Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:48:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Coogan to play Savile on telly

Started by Phoenix Lazarus, September 26, 2021, 07:47:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Catalogue Trousers

If they can get it made by December then they can always put Jingle Jangle Jewellery on it as the theme.

mothman

Jittlebags

Let's hope it liberaly sprinkled with his evergreen catchphrases:

'How's about that, then?'
'Now then, now then'
'Goodness gracious'
'As it 'appens'
'Guys and gals'
and of course, the 'eurgh, eurgh, eurgh..'

Quote from: Jittlebags on September 26, 2021, 01:01:00 PM
Let's hope it liberaly sprinkled with his evergreen catchphrases:

'How's about that, then?'
'Now then, now then'
'Goodness gracious'
'As it 'appens'
'Guys and gals'
and of course, the 'eurgh, eurgh, eurgh..'

Not forgetting 'I know your pop hero; blowjob and you'll meet him' and 'who'll they fuckin' believe: me, not you!'

Butchers Blind

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on September 26, 2021, 01:07:47 PM
Not forgetting 'I know your pop hero; blowjob and you'll meet him' and 'who'll they fuckin' believe: me, not you!'

Or, "You can leave the morgue keys with me, I'll lock up."

batwings

This whole thing seems like such a perfectly awful idea. Can't wait.

Zetetic

CaB Appropriate Adult thread if anyone's interested. (I had no interest in watching it.)

derek stitt

Is that bloke from the Grumbleweeds still alive, he did the best impression of Savile.

Will only watch this Coogan thing if there is some stuff with him snogging a corpse.

If they did it as a really broad, colourful, bawdy slapstick comedy and had him gurning and mugging to camera, slide whistles, the lot, that's the only way I could see this working.
"Confessions of a hospital porter" sort of thing.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

It's McKay and Pope, so of course it'll be handled sensitively (in the sense that you won't see Savile actually committing any of his crimes), but I just don't think it's wise to make a drama about this particular case.

Books, articles, documentaries, yes, that's all fine as it's important for people to know just how monstrous Savile was and how he got away with abusing so many people by shielding himself behind a veneer of clownish eccentricity and powerful establishment respectability. The sordid facts need to be a matter of public record.

However, once you dramatise that horrific story, you immediately run the risk of inadvertently trivialising it. Because there's no getting around the fact that Steve Coogan, fine actor though he is, will be doing a Jimmy Savile impression. He'll be kitted out in a long white wig while wearing loads of jingle jangle jewellery and a shellsuit. He'll look fucking ridiculous, because that's how Savile looked. 

And that's a major stumbling block, the inherently comical element. It won't be like when Dominic West played Fred West, because the latter West wasn't an instantly recognisable and endlessly imitated public figure. I don't think I'll be able to see past the fact that it's Coogan 'doing' Savile.

Or maybe it'll be great. I dunno. 

Cold Meat Platter

Surely in this day and age a CGI Savile would be possible.

Zetetic

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 26, 2021, 02:38:02 PMBooks, articles, documentaries, yes, that's all fine as it's important for people to know just how monstrous Savile was and how he got away with abusing so many people by shielding himself behind a veneer of clownish eccentricity and powerful establishment respectability.
I think there's a problem here already, which is that this misses the point. Savile isn't the point. The victims, to an extent, aren't the point either, insofar as the most interesting thing in any one of their lives isn't that Savile abused them.

The point is the susceptibility of the Anglo-British state and its organs and ultimately its agents. Its general disregard for and disgust at the most vulnerable people that it claims to care for. That's what we've collectively refused to make sense of. Savile is a visible manifestation of it, but his specialness lies in his visibility not, really, in the preparedness of other people to enable him.

I don't hold out much hope for this, because it will be Savile- rather than state-focused, but I'd rather that there was some accessible discussion emerging - even if its actually dangerously wrong-headed - than the general forgetting of the last decade.

Zetetic

I guess it doesn't matter. We won't make sense of it any time soon, and might all be gone - the organs, the institutions, the people - before we might have done.

Him hiding in plain sight and everybody's blind trust and deference to fame and celebrity above all was what helped him to get away with all the things he did, but there would have been so many people high up at the BBC that knew exactly what was going on.

It will always be purely lip service and instantly in bad taste, so they may as well go all out and bring on the clowns.

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 26, 2021, 02:38:02 PM

However, once you dramatise that horrific story, you immediately run the risk of inadvertently trivialising it. Because there's no getting around the fact that Steve Coogan, fine actor though he is, will be doing a Jimmy Savile impression. He'll be kitted out in a long white wig while wearing loads of jingle jangle jewellery and a shellsuit. He'll look fucking ridiculous, because that's how Savile looked. 

And that's a major stumbling block, the inherently comical element. It won't be like when Dominic West played Fred West, because the latter West wasn't an instantly recognisable and endlessly imitated public figure. I don't think I'll be able to see past the fact that it's Coogan 'doing' Savile.

Yeah, it might have been better with some unknown actor in the lead.

Rizla

Quote from: Zetetic on September 26, 2021, 02:49:22 PM
I guess it doesn't matter. We won't make sense of it any time soon, and might all be gone - the organs, the institutions, the people - before we might have done.

One of his close mates will be on the throne in a few years.

studpuppet

There's only one person smarting from being rejected for the role; someone who was keeping the flame alive when impersonating him was deeply unfashionable.

Butchers Blind

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on September 26, 2021, 02:42:22 PM

Maybe do something like those ABBA avatars that they're going use for live gigs. Absolutely not saying there should be Savile live shows, but you get what I mean.

Captain Z

I hope this will examine how the woke left were allowed to cancel him and erase are history.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I laughed at Matt Lucas' tweet about this, as all he said was "Incredible casting". As if Savile is the role that Coogan was simply born to play.

idunnosomename

Can't he play himself? What's he up to these days.

Love that clip where the scouts try and eat on the Revolution and Blackpool Pleasure Beach!! British tv is the best

Quote from: idunnosomename on September 26, 2021, 03:58:52 PM
Love that clip where the scouts try and eat on the Revolution and Blackpool Pleasure Beach!! British tv is the best

Scrapped footage showed the scouts eat Savile's stick of Blackpool rock and pleasure him on the beach.

Cold Meat Platter

Another cis-het male Savile then, great.

JamesTC

Imagine if it is all positive and ignores all the noncing.

frajer

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on September 26, 2021, 02:42:22 PM

So focused on whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.

Video Game Fan 2000

STOP GETTING CORPSES WRONG

Quote from: JamesTC on September 26, 2021, 04:24:18 PM
Imagine if it is all positive and ignores all the noncing.

Imagine being a Guardian tv critic, sitting down to this and its just a conventional 3 wall, 2 camera sitcom where the lead happens to be Jimmy Savile. Jingle jangle honey I'm Home