Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:24:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Robert Webb on Strictly

Started by poodlefaker, October 03, 2021, 09:26:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobotic

Quote from: mothman on October 04, 2021, 03:30:03 PM
Try not holding grudges against anyone who ever said anything even slightly less than utterly complimentary about Jeremy Corbyn? ;-)

I will if I want.

But actually that wasn't really my point. I can't stand Webb but I don't suppose he's going on about the joys of Saint Tony on Strictly so I don't really care. I don't watch it anyway.

I watched taskmaster with fucking Baddiel on it (although it was shite).

chveik

Quote from: mothman on October 04, 2021, 03:30:03 PM
Try not holding grudges against anyone who ever said anything even slightly less than utterly complimentary about Jeremy Corbyn? ;-)

what about his transphobia, can we hate him for that?

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: jobotic on October 04, 2021, 01:57:19 PM
I've been on the receiving end of a gif. What do I do now?

Post a response gif. GIF WAR.

Quote from: Replies From View on October 04, 2021, 12:18:47 PM
Robert Webb is a very "toothy" performer.  He always leads with his teeth even though they aren't very big or anything.  He does this in everything, from his work with David Mitchell, his acting in Smoking Room, and I haven't seen him dancing but I bet he leads with his teeth when he is dancing as well.

It's hard to explain but I don't like it.

Fittingly his teeth are fucked. They're like baby teeth in an adult skull.

jobotic

Quote from: chveik on October 04, 2021, 03:50:19 PM
what about his transphobia, can we hate him for that?

I didn't even know that.

gilbertharding

Now, to be scrupulously fair, he might not be transphobic. It's just that he's refused to confirm one way or the other.

It seems he endorsed a transphobic column by Janice Turner.

When he was subsequently questioned about it, he said something about not having properly read or understood that column. Instead of apologising, however, he made some admission about 'not really knowing anything about it', and a load of flannel about 'debate being impossible' -- people should be free to criticise Mermaids (even though, by his own admission, he is ignorant) without being open to accusations that they are against trans people. Which is fine, as far as it goes, but fails to recognise where the discourse is now. But he can't be wrong, because he was at Cambridge, and anyway, is close personal friends with these people.

up_the_hampipe

He seemed to relate the trans kids issue to his own experiences of not being a gender-conforming child. It was close-minded and dismissive, but he's backed down from it now, even if he's too proud to admit he was wrong.

He's a bit of a blowhard, but I find him funny. And he's not gone Glinner, so he's redeemable.

olliebean

Quote from: Ron Maels Moustache on October 04, 2021, 12:19:18 PM
Didn't he do this years ago for Children In Need or something, I remember he was dressed as Jennifer Beales in Flashdance, or was that a dream? Am I dreaming now? Dunno

It was Comic Relief: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Lz6k5Zg2wA

gilbertharding

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on October 04, 2021, 04:17:24 PM
He seemed to relate the trans kids issue to his own experiences of not being a gender-conforming child. It was close-minded and dismissive, but he's backed down from it now, even if he's too proud to admit he was wrong.

He's a bit of a blowhard, but I find him funny. And he's not gone Glinner, so he's redeemable.

I'm inclined to let him off a bit for that too. You should also be able to acknowledge that some of the people on the right side of *that* are also arseholes, if they are.

As for being funny - well, sometimes. Who's written the script?

mothman

Just to be clear, I've no particular beef with Webb (though trans thing was new to me too before chveik brought it up and Gilbert h expanded on it), it just feels like he's trying to remain relevant in some way (which could be Strictly's mission statement). I liked their sketch show (radio and TV), never saw Peep Show, Back or the embassy sitcom.  I used to follow them both on Twitter, but stopped years ago, and I can't even remember why on either front.

But on the other hand, he's also been through heart surgery and so I'm prepared to cut him some slack (my wife has had a valve replaced, and will need to again, possibly sooner rather than later) and I'd certainly prefer it if he didn't drop dead doing a fucking BBC light entertainment show!

Gurke and Hare

checkoutgirl

Even though That Mitchell and Webb Look was decent enough I couldn't muster an opinion on Webb until I heard/saw his RHLSTP. He won me over somewhat and his comments on that woman who directed him in Confetti (2006) were excellent.

I thought he was cancelled/tainted for sailing a bit too close to transphobia.

Chriddof

I remember when Robert Webb presented that baffling "outtakes" show years ago on Channel 5(?), which was mainly just pointing out extremely minor continuity errors. The programme lasted about three hours for some reason. To me, that sums up everything about him, and I can't quite explain why.

Midas

It was on BBC 3 and aye, it was utter dross.

Pink Gregory

Remember when he wouldn't come back for like the 4th series of that and they got Pappy's to do it

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Chriddof on October 05, 2021, 12:44:57 PM
I remember when Robert Webb presented that baffling "outtakes" show years ago on Channel 5(?), which was mainly just pointing out extremely minor continuity errors. The programme lasted about three hours for some reason. To me, that sums up everything about him, and I can't quite explain why.

Script written by Pappy's Fun Club

Imagine doing a show those guys were ashamed of

Edit: didn't know they got promoted!

gilbertharding

According to IMDB, the scripts for Great Movie Mistakes (2010, narr. Robert Webb) was by the sainted Gibbons brothers.

"In this scene, Charlton Heston is wearing his watch on his left wrist... but after *this* cut, it's suddenly showing five minutes past ten!"

*pause for laughter*

Running time 180 minutes.

PlanktonSideburns

Ah right I thought I heard pappys saying they took it on at some point. Might be missremembering

Midas

According to iPlayer, Pappy's presented the fifth(!) series in 2013 apparently.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Chriddof on October 05, 2021, 12:44:57 PM

It's called Great Movie Mistakes apparently. He addresses it here on his first RHLSTP. Timestamped and everything.

https://youtu.be/16xLrzEuLoM?t=3203

Tom Parry said on RHLSTP that Webb had Pappy's removed as writers because he wanted someone 'better schooled' i.e Oxbridge https://youtu.be/YhkW2lzKuuU?t=603

gilbertharding

Quote from: checkoutgirl on October 05, 2021, 03:12:12 PM
It's called Great Movie Mistakes apparently. He addresses it here on his first RHLSTP. Timestamped and everything.

https://youtu.be/16xLrzEuLoM?t=3203

"A mistake I only made three times" is a pretty good line.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Stone Cold Steve Austin on October 05, 2021, 03:57:59 PM
Tom Parry said on RHLSTP that Webb had Pappy's removed as writers because he wanted someone 'better schooled' i.e Oxbridge https://youtu.be/YhkW2lzKuuU?t=603

Fucking hell - now it will seem like I'm defending Robert Webb, but that could easily be 'Tom Parry said on RHLSTP that they'd been told Webb had Pappy's removed as writers because he wanted someone 'better schooled' i.e Oxbridge'

From the sounds of it, they ought to be thanking him for getting them out of it anyway, if that's what happened.

Why does IMBD blame the Gibbons Brothers, I wonder?

poodlefaker

I swear there was a thread on here once about those mistakes shows and one of the writers joined in or mentioned it on Twitter and got involved somehow.

mothman

Christ, 2010. Doesn't feel like that long ago (and yes, not long fucking enough). Saying this a lot recently, don't know where the last decade went.

Quote from: poodlefaker on October 05, 2021, 10:11:40 PM
I swear there was a thread on here once about those mistakes shows and one of the writers joined in or mentioned it on Twitter and got involved somehow.

James Bachman (regular third male performer on That Mitchell & Webb Sound/Look) posted here for a while.

Jake Thingray

gilbertharding

Wow - a thread so old it contains a post complimenting the talent of Big Train actress Tracey-Ann Oberman!

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: mothman on October 04, 2021, 06:05:25 PM
But on the other hand, he's also been through heart surgery and so I'm prepared to cut him some slack (my wife has had a valve replaced, and will need to again, possibly sooner rather than later) and I'd certainly prefer it if he didn't drop dead doing a fucking BBC light entertainment show!

He's withdrawn from the show because of possible heart-related symptoms  https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/entertainment/robert-webb-quits-strictly-come-dancing-2021-newsupdate/

Purple Toupee