Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:19:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

More inessential shit from the backwaters of old TV you somehow still remember

Started by non capisco, November 02, 2020, 11:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JesusAndYourBush

Sci-fi.  Some sort of alien threat is detected and all the countries who have nuclear weapons have to shoot them at the aliens who are in space somewhere.  This makes everyone come together and forget past differences because of the greater threat.  Afterwards it's suggested maybe there never were any aliens and it was just a ploy to get rid of all the nukes.  Can't remember if it was a movie or tv show, might even have been a book I suppose.

Shaky

That's more or less the main plot of Watchmen (the comic, anyway).

mothman

Definitely rings a bell. In fact that reminds me of something thematically similar (but which definitely isn't this) which I must ask about in the hard to find movies thread...

Here's an odd one...does anyone remember a one-off documentary on Channel 4 which was supposedly following author/screenwriter Alex Garland around, interviewing people in the street asking what they know about him and so on. This would've been around 99/00 when he'd only published two novels and had yet to crossover into films.

At some point through the big twist is revealed that that the guy isn't Alex Garland at all, and the whole thing was some kind-of bizarre meta-hoax. It was all very strange and conceptual but I can't find any reference to it online, it seems to've fallen through a memory hole just like "Diana: The Opera".

Edit: Spoke too soon, I've found out what this was. It was "Alex & I" from 2001. Just glad I didn't completely make it up, to be honest.

http://www.elevenfilm.com/film/alex-and-i/

QuoteCreated and directed by Jamie Campbell and Joel Wilson for Channel 4 in 2001, this spoof documentary appears to follow the novelist Alex Garland to New York, where he attempts to publish a book under a pseudonym. Things are not as they seem, however.

mothman

A TV advert, likely from the 1980s, for some foodstuff, with a mediaeval setting. At one point someone says "It costeth little, and feedeth many!" For a while it was a family joke. Ring any bells?

Gurke and Hare

Replies From View

What was the advert that had a group of something or other saying "oh no, not agadoo!!!" and running off?

mothman

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on October 06, 2021, 06:54:59 PM
Weirdly, a google search for

gives a mediaeval set food advert as the first result, but not the one you're after.

https://www.hatads.org.uk/catalogue/record/1cb50fa9-a308-4796-9fdc-35104df3a96f

Yes, you're right, i forgot to mention I tried that too - sorry to waste your time G&H, but thanks for trying!

Catalogue Trousers

Quote from: mothman on October 06, 2021, 03:59:04 PM
A TV advert, likely from the 1980s, for some foodstuff, with a mediaeval setting. At one point someone says "It costeth little, and feedeth many!" For a while it was a family joke. Ring any bells?

There's also an ad from the Meat Council (or whatever it's called) bigging up British pork, which was set in Sherwood Forest and had Friar Tuck cooking up a big ol' roast for Robin and the gang:

''Tis a goodly roast, Friar!'
'And verily it costeth not a lot.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V_4TbYXaGo

mothman

I think that's probably it. Looks like I had the two parts of the quote backwards. Thanks CT!

Catalogue Trousers

Glad to help! Time frame is right as well - I remember people quoting it when I was at Uni in the mid-1980s.

Jerzy Bondov

Some advert for some food or something where it's like a wife and a blokey bloke, and she keeps suggesting foods and he goes 'with me steak!' and eventually she makes whatever fucking thing it's about and she goes 'And now, how would you like your steak?' but now he doesn't want the steak because whatever it was he ate first was actually nice?

My family used to go 'with me steak!!' all the time

Chriddof

That was for some early 90s Birds Eye thing which was a vegetarian replacement for a steak, or possibly some kind of veggie burger. The way I recall it is that she started naming things that you might eat with a steak, like chips and green beans, and he'd say "...With me steak!" after each one. Then she brought out said veggie thing and he said "...With me steak?!" in an appalled way, like she was having him on, and also like he could only say three words.

Replies From View

Quote from: Replies From View on October 06, 2021, 07:14:02 PM
What was the advert that had a group of something or other saying "oh no, not agadoo!!!" and running off?

This one please.

batwings

Replies From View

non capisco

Any luck on the ostrich running in slow motion to Chariots Of Fire, RFV? I get strangely haunted by the bit in the Talk Talk video, knowing that's almost definitely the source footage. I sort of long to accidentally find it for you every time I go down a TV continuity rabbit hole on YouTube.

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: Chriddof on October 07, 2021, 05:06:34 PM
That was for some early 90s Birds Eye thing which was a vegetarian replacement for a steak, or possibly some kind of veggie burger. The way I recall it is that she started naming things that you might eat with a steak, like chips and green beans, and he'd say "...With me steak!" after each one. Then she brought out said veggie thing and he said "...With me steak?!" in an appalled way, like she was having him on, and also like he could only say three words.
I'm glad it's not just me that remembers this

Glebe

I'm only aware of West Country Tales thanks to CaB, but in any case there are a few episodes on YT, watched 'The Beast' last night, 'twas rather creepy.

George White

Don't know if this is the right thread.
But someone Iknow is trying to recall three series from their youth.

1. A Play on one/Screen One/Screen Two about a sixth former who worshipped Oliver Cromwell, carried about Oliver Cromwell's head in a box a la Seven/Dead Head, and ended up leading a student revolt and taking revenge against his teachers. From about c.1990.

2. Similar time, early 90s. Possibly a BBC or a C4, either a miniseries or a one-off. About a young British guy who moves to the States. All shot on location,  possibly a road trip. There might have been some element of him trying to track down somebody. It's not Blonde Fist with Margi Clarke.

3.  A series on Sky in the early 90s. Not Super Gran, but about three old biddies who had super powers. Kids show, slapsticky.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Sonny_Jim

On the topic of 'stuff you used to say with your mates that originated from an advert':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0cny8WetmI

'Extra lettuce, no meat' is burned into my brain.  Also isn't that the guy from that sitcom with Samantha Janus, character called Martin and an agoraphobe who would carry around a surfboard?
EDIT: Game on, duh.

George White

Yes, Ben Chaplin, who then buggered off to Hollywood and got replaced by Neil Stuke.

Wait, is that yer woman from Homes Under the Hammer?

monkfromhavana

Sonny_Jim

Perfect delivery of 'It's your who-crack-pper', there.  You can see even then she was destined for greater things.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on November 15, 2021, 06:25:46 AM
On the topic of 'stuff you used to say with your mates that originated from an advert':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0cny8WetmI

'Extra lettuce, no meat' is burned into my brain.  Also isn't that the guy from that sitcom with Samantha Janus, character called Martin and an agoraphobe who would carry around a surfboard?
EDIT: Game on, duh.

FILLET O'FISH VOR MA VAFE

mothman

BBC Schools' 20th Century History

https://youtu.be/zzbTjN3-4bQ

Spent so much of my childhood watching these 20min programmes in history lessons. It's ironic that, given they were first made in 1977, the programme really only covered three-quarters of the century...

PammySpacek

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on November 15, 2021, 11:25:31 AM
FILLET O'FISH VOR MA VAFE

That was from a "Day At McDonald's" advert from around the same time, wasn't it? Started with a branch opening up at 6am or something, shots of muffins rising in an oven (as if they actually baked them themselves), and then onto a cast of slightly zany everyman characters up to "until late". The only other thing I remember from it is a bit where an elderly actress who's supposed to be a grandma to a baby holds up a wrapped hamburger to it and goes "What's this?". Baby looks at it appalled for a moment, and starts bawling. "Ooh no, no," says the actress, putting the burger down.