Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:29:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tennis 2021. Just a load of balls.

Started by Deanjam, January 18, 2021, 04:51:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quoteapart from the people at the very top, there's less money in tennis to be made than in football, nba, nfl etc.

Not really the point as such, it is largely an individual sport. Maybe that explains it. Also I'm talking about the sharp end, not Challenger tennis. Top 40 plus anyone who is regularly mixing it with them, not exactly poorly paid.

A single football club will have 30+ players on the books.

Re- above post- Not sure about Federer, maybe his Covid opinions are legit but I thought he was notoriously egocentric off court. Perhaps he has matured with age.

Deanjam

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on October 06, 2021, 02:16:39 PM
Re- above post- Not sure about Federer, maybe his Covid opinions are legit but I thought he was notoriously egocentric off court. Perhaps he has matured with age.

He seems very popular behind the scenes, both with players and staff. I've no doubt he has an ego, but I've not heard any bad stories.

chveik

jeez those courts are so fucking sloowww

chveik

cornet is the currently the highest ranked french wta player... just take french tennis out of its misery, it's horrible to watch

lankyguy95

Quote from: Chedney Honks on October 09, 2021, 08:07:19 AM
Raducanu is finished.
History will consign her with the many who peaked in high school.

buttgammon

Quote from: lankyguy95 on October 09, 2021, 02:36:26 PM
History will consign her with the many who peaked in high school.

I see Morrissey has a title for his new album.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

See Jason Danevans and Norriecore got through tough matches at Indian Wells.

Team GB United Kingdom 🇬🇧🇬🇧 Let's Go!

chveik

looking forward to ostapenko v putintseva, hope there will be some drama

chveik

tennis paradise eh? what a load of horseshit

chveik

chveik

selectivememory

Quote from: chveik on October 15, 2021, 01:15:56 AM
so happy for ons

Not watched a second of Indian Wells this year, but this is lovely to see. Top 10, IW semis, and should now qualify for the WTA finals. I just need to see her win a major at some point.

selectivememory

Also congrats I guess to Cameron Norrie and his fan, but I can't imagine not wanting Dimitrov to win the whole thing now looking at the remaining players in the draw.

Deanjam

chveik

Deanjam

Not unhappy with those men's results, mind.

chveik

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Blue Jam

Anyone watching Randy Murray vs Diego Schwarzman on Amazon Prime (or anywhere else)? Getting a bit epic here.

Cuellar

Blue Jam

He's doing well for a man with a titanium hip, be fair.

Nice one Diego.

Cuellar

I suppose so. But he's half machine, he should be a superman.

chveik

it's not a bad comeback, mostly losing against players in the top 20

Mr_Simnock

With the way he is improving against playing these top 20 players it's just a matter of time and fitness before he starts to beat them again.

selectivememory

I guess we'll find out who the true anti-vaxxers are quite soon as it's been confirmed that players will have to be vaccinated to take part in the Australian Open. I expect most will fall in line now that it's going to affect them personally.

No idea what Djokivic will do, given his obvious opposition to the vaccine. Australia is always going to be his best opportunity to win another major and I would be surprised if he turned his nose up at the chance of moving ahead of Federer and Nadal.

Anyway, this stuff with Peng Shuai is very worrying. Looks like the WTA may be forced to cut ties with China, which given the level of Chinese investment in the tour could be quite a hit for them. Don't really see what other option they have if she doesn't turn up safe and well though.

chveik

Quote from: selectivememory on November 20, 2021, 11:43:02 AMAnyway, this stuff with Peng Shuai is very worrying. Looks like the WTA may be forced to cut ties with China, which given the level of Chinese investment in the tour could be quite a hit for them. Don't really see what other option they have if she doesn't turn up safe and well though.

obviously i hope she's okay. i don't really want to get into a china debate in the tennis thread but i don't think we should rush to judgement because it's not the first time the media have claimed that some public figure had been 'disappeared' by the CCP and it turned out afterwards that they were wrong (see Jack Ma, Fan Bingbing). the anti-China hysteria and its confirmation bias isn't helping anyone.

edit just saw there's a video of her being in a restaurant today. but i imagine any evidence will be regarded as being 'staged'. it feels more and more like the WTA is using her as a proxy in their feud with China.

selectivememory

Konta GONE

Not surprised really. She's seemed to be winding down recently, although she was looking primed for a decent Wimbledon run this year before she got the 'vid. I wonder if Australia's ruling on the vaccine had something to do with it, especially if it looks like other tournaments will make it mandatory.

shoulders

Tendonitis is a real bitch so fair enough if that's the reason. Shame as she probably had a few years left, injuries permitting.