Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:47:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New Comics Thread 2017+ Edition

Started by Small Man Big Horse, October 13, 2017, 05:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnum Valentino

I get most of my OOP stuff from Cheap-comics.com which is run by a lad in the Netherlands. Some of his stuff is scandalously priced but he always has tons that simply never comes up on eBay any more and his sale prices often make eBay price inflaters look ridiculous.

Marvel have got better at trying to keep stuff in print but still aren't as good as DC. For example, the entire pre-Claremont X-Men run is coming out again in two huge Omnibus volumes early next year. Omnibus line is the way to go if you don't mind massive books, although the vocal majority online are upset because they've changed the spine design for them.

Don't forget that sometimes, Popular stories or runs have been reprinted as part of something else where it may not be apparent by the titling. Like for example, the dogshit Spider-Man by Todd McFarlane Complete Collection collects Torment, Masques and Perceptions, but you wouldn't know that based on its new name.

Ask around online - all of the Forbidden Planet International stores do mail order and will get back to you on Facebook if you message them. They can't sell books for above cover price so it's not a bad option if they have the stock. Only actual local comic shop I can recommend in England is in Kidderminster, if you ever happen to be down/up/across that way. Like mentioned in the previous post, that place is like what the Americans talk about in terms of wandering in and finding brilliant rarities on each visit.

Lastly, be vigilant! I've just started getting back into collecting this year, so I've been hoovering up a load of books I sold off when I kind of had to. I too have noticed books that shouldn't really be expensive being listed for silly money, but the trick is that they never sell for these prices and eventually someone just comes along who actually wants to sell them rather than hoping to capitalise on the apparent trend for pricing. Keep an eye on eBay, save yourself a good search using the - (minus) key to narrow it to exclude words you don't want and check it every day, and you'll find what you're after.

13 schoolyards

Yeah, being willing to wait and keeping your eyes open is essential when it comes to eBay, things often turn up for cheap that you never would have expected if you're willing to wait.

(unless you're waiting for a cheap copy of Martin Barker's book about 70s UK comic Action, I've been looking for that for over a decade and never seen a copy that wasn't at least triple figures)

Prices also fluctuate, sometimes the news of a new edition will have people dumping their old ones, which can be handy if you're like me and aren't a fan of massive omnibus editions. Try and think of the most basic way someone would describe what you're after and search for it that way too, I've made a few good gets over the years simply by searching for the most obvious misspelling of a title and finding a cheap copy that way.

The other trick to keep in mind when looking to buy a run of something is that often people will sell titles in batches and you can get a rare volume for relatively cheap if you don't mind getting a few things you don't really want with it.

Magnum Valentino

Patiently awaiting confirmation that madhair60 got a paperback copy of The Wedding of Cyclops and Phoenix for the price he felt was fair.

SweetPomPom

Ebay alerts have been my best way of finding the oop Marvel and DC stuff - takes ages waiting for a decent price but they do come round. Abe and all the other feel consistently overpriced.

Gosh are quiet good for buying large collections and selling stuff individually at slightly more sane prices.

Quote from: 13 schoolyards on September 30, 2021, 09:44:09 AM

(unless you're waiting for a cheap copy of Martin Barker's book about 70s UK comic Action, I've been looking for that for over a decade and never seen a copy that wasn't at least triple figures)

I am, yes. The inflated prices for it online are utterly preposterous.

Small Man Big Horse

I'm still reading Alan Moore's Swamp Thing but deliberately only two issues a week, as I won't be able to buy the fifth volume until I get paid by my new job at the beginning of November. I'm still loving it but have to say I feel something of an idiot, I've been a huge fan of Hellblazer / John Constantine since I started buying US comics back in 1988, and always knew the story that Moore based his look on Sting, but it was only while reading these issues of Swamp Thing that I discovered that John initially could have been the bloke's doppelganger!

Magnum Valentino

Doesn't he have a paddle boat called the Gordon Sumner in one panel?

13 schoolyards

Quote from: Ron Maels Moustache on October 03, 2021, 12:10:17 PM
I am, yes. The inflated prices for it online are utterly preposterous.

Every single time it's mentioned in one of the FB groups on 70s UK comics there's at least one bastard who chimes in with "I found a copy for a fiver in my local op shop!" Yeah, thanks for that

Quote from: 13 schoolyards on October 03, 2021, 03:04:08 PM
Every single time it's mentioned in one of the FB groups on 70s UK comics there's at least one bastard who chimes in with "I found a copy for a fiver in my local op shop!" Yeah, thanks for that

And not one of those bastards owns a scanner I'm guessing.

holdover

Quote from: 13 schoolyards on October 03, 2021, 03:04:08 PM

Pfft. I found my copy in Finland where it was reduced to 3 euros.

Mister Six

Abebooks.com is also good for OOP stuff, although prices vary wildly. I picked up The Best of Milligan & McCarthy for sub $50, which is good given that it was going for $100+ on Amazon.

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on October 03, 2021, 02:29:30 PM
Doesn't he have a paddle boat called the Gordon Sumner in one panel?

Yep, or to be precise, "The Honorable (?) Gordon Sumner".

Sting also wrote an introduction to a best of Hellblazer trade that Vertigo put out:

He even got done up in cosplay (well, a trenchcoat) to promote it, which seems awfully game of him. Although he DOES get John's name wrong. It's Constan-tyne, not Constan-teen!

Magnum Valentino

I mind myself compelled to read Constantine's dialogue in an accent in my mind's, er, ear, but it's always a soft cockney accent rather than Liverpool like I think I'm supposed to.

Anyone else have this?

BeardFaceMan

I do, but I think that's because of the way he's written, haven't read any for for while but my memory is that he's usually written like a cockney with cockney slang etc. To Americans, if you're British then you either speak like Downton Abbey or Dick Van Dyke, they're not really aware other accents exist so I think it was a conscious decision to move away from him being Scouse to something a bit more familiar.

Mister Six

In the original Hellblazer comics, he ran away from Liverpool to London as a teenager a few times, and eventually went to live there permanently when he was 18. He's 30 or so by the time he appears in Swamp Thing, and continues to age in real time up to Hellblazer #300, so having suppressed/lost his accent along the way makes sense.

Magnum Valentino

He's also described as being from London in Swamp Thing, I think. I'm not sure Moore wrote him as Liverpudlian.

I just can't 'hear' him as Dave Lister. Conversely, Peter Serafinowicz's accent is so soft it barely registers (he only really sounds like he's from Liverpool when he uses words ending in an 's', so "bus" sounds like "buzz". So that's no good either.

BeardFaceMan

Didn't Garth Ennis take the piss out of this in the DC Section 8 comics he did, where Constantine came in as a character? It's been a while since I read it (and not sure I made it to the end either) but I seem to remember over-exaggerated cockney speak and the like.

Mister Six

Yeah, in All-Star Section 8 (IIRC) he didn't have proper dialogue, just gibberish Cockneyisms. When he was brought back to be a supporting character in the sequel, Six-Pack and Dogwelder: Hard-Travellin' Heroez, he spoke "normally", with a strong Cockney accent.

Oh, and he was upset about how his character was being treated now he was no longer part of the Vertigo comics imprint and was back in the DC universe proper...

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Mister Six on October 07, 2021, 04:02:04 AM
Yeah, in All-Star Section 8 (IIRC) he didn't have proper dialogue, just gibberish Cockneyisms. When he was brought back to be a supporting character in the sequel, Six-Pack and Dogwelder: Hard-Travellin' Heroez, he spoke "normally", with a strong Cockney accent.

Oh, and he was upset about how his character was being treated now he was no longer part of the Vertigo comics imprint and was back in the DC universe proper...

Ah yes, I thought I recalled some kind of meta element to it, I don't follow the industry at all though so all that stuff goes over my head. Plain old DC is not my style at all, that's why I never finished it, as much as I loved Hitman. I couldn't stop laughing at Dogwelder first time I happened across him, a supe who welds dogs to people's faces, what more do you want from life? I should go back and try and reread them but I just remember that characterization of Constantine as being annoying and difficult to read, rather than funny.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Shameless Custard on October 09, 2021, 07:45:34 PM
Saga is finally back, then (in January)
https://www.instagram.com/p/CU0X4PAvtDJ

Really pleased by that news, I was lucky enough to pick up the first nine volumes in a charity shop for £1.50 each recently, and knowing it'll be back soon makes it the perfect time for a reread.

13 schoolyards

I drifted away from Saga during one of the earlier, shorter breaks as it just felt like it was going to keep rolling on and on adding new characters without resolving much of anything. Does it still feel like that, or is there some kind of shape to the story beyond "I grew up on the run"?

Custard

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on October 09, 2021, 10:45:30 PM
Really pleased by that news, I was lucky enough to pick up the first nine volumes in a charity shop for £1.50 each recently, and knowing it'll be back soon makes it the perfect time for a reread.

Blimey, what a bargain!

13 schoolyards, yep apparently Brian K Vaughan has an ending planned, so it's definitely heading there. Though he's now saying the story is only halfway through, so I'd imagine it has a few years to go yet

His endings for Y The Last Man and Paper Girls were excellent and satisfying, so I have faith

bgmnts

Just smashed Sweet Tooth front to back in around three hours and work is going to be tough tomorrow but I enjoyed it well enough.

The pacing was a little weird though. Always a bit tricky when reading entire compendiums in one go.

13 schoolyards

Quote from: Shameless Custard on October 10, 2021, 11:20:31 AM
Blimey, what a bargain!

13 schoolyards, yep apparently Brian K Vaughan has an ending planned, so it's definitely heading there. Though he's now saying the story is only halfway through, so I'd imagine it has a few years to go yet

His endings for Y The Last Man and Paper Girls were excellent and satisfying, so I have faith

Yeah, I stuck with Paper Girls and thought that wrapped up well, which made me think maybe Saga was worth another look. But if it's only halfway done I might hold off for a bit.

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: bgmnts on October 11, 2021, 01:48:53 AM
Just smashed Sweet Tooth front to back in around three hours and work is going to be tough tomorrow but I enjoyed it well enough.

The pacing was a little weird though. Always a bit tricky when reading entire compendiums in one go.

It's probably because Lemire added one or two stories into it given the go-ahead from DC as it was selling well enough. He had the ending mapped out from early enough on, and also wrote the first arc or two as if that's all he would get to write in case it got cancelled. So in that regard, it has three points in it that he designed as its ending, of sorts.

Ace though innit? Treated myself to the hardcovers JUST before they started to go for absolutely silly money.

bgmnts

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on October 11, 2021, 02:08:56 PM
It's probably because Lemire added one or two stories into it given the go-ahead from DC as it was selling well enough. He had the ending mapped out from early enough on, and also wrote the first arc or two as if that's all he would get to write in case it got cancelled. So in that regard, it has three points in it that he designed as its ending, of sorts.

Ace though innit? Treated myself to the hardcovers JUST before they started to go for absolutely silly money.

Riiiight okay. It's also the fact that things happen quite fast. I think this is where it's beneficial to read individual issues but cant go back to that now. Jepperd went from not giving a toss about the kid to loving him and risking his life for him in a short jourrney to the militia hq and I did sort of go okay that was a bit of a jump.

I did really like it though, quite dark and the whole nature vs man is always a favourite of mine. I was surprised that it basically
Spoiler alert
went sort of supernatural towards the end? And they handwave the science and go "ah we'll never know what the scientists did ah well" which I quite liked.
[close]

Custard

Comixology will be undergoing some changes

"Hello, Friends!

For those of you who don't know me, I'm David Steinberger, co-founder and CEO of comiXology. It's been a while since I personally wrote to comiXology customers, but it's for a good reason: the comiXology team has been hard at work making important changes that you'll start to see soon, and today I'm excited to share what's coming.

First, though, if you don't login with an Amazon account or have not merged your comiXology and Amazon accounts, I want to ask you to merge your comiXology and Amazon account so you can use these new services — in fact, once we update this fall, you'll need to use an Amazon account to use comiXology at all. You can do so, here. Thanks!

In 2014, comiXology did what all great comic book heroes do: a major team-up. Teaming up with Amazon was the best way to support our mission — to make everyone on the planet a lifelong comics, graphic novel, or manga fan. Since then, we've been adding features like Guided View and comiXology Unlimited to Amazon and the Kindle app. We made our amazing comiXology Originals titles available free-to-read with a Prime Reading, Kindle Unlimited, or comiXology Unlimited membership. These additions have helped us reach more readers of comics, graphic novels, and manga than ever before.

This fall, we're introducing an upgraded comiXology app along with a new way to shop for digital comics and manga on Amazon.com. Here are some of the changes you can expect:

Our upgraded comiXology app will feature flexible filtering and sorting, and some fun book navigation features.
A revamped digital comics shopping experience on Amazon where you'll be able to browse, buy, and borrow books to read on either the comiXology or Kindle app. You can visit the new shopping experience today as we continue to bring new features online. ComiXology.com will redirect to this new experience when we launch.
Faster, more reliable downloads on Android and iOS devices. Plus read-while-downloading is new for Android customers. (Yes, we've heard you!)
Kindle Unlimited and Prime members will be able to borrow from a large library of graphic novels and manga and read on the comiXology app, in select countries.
ComiXology purchases will be readable on Kindle apps and devices. Soon, you'll also be able to read purchases from comiXology on the Kindle app, giving you more flexibility to decide where and how you read your books.
The team and I can't wait to share more about our new features and exciting changes over the next couple of weeks.

If you have questions I didn't cover in this email, visit our FAQ or join our conversation on Twitter.

Thanks for being a reader of and an advocate for this amazing art form. I'm truly grateful to work with such a passionate team of comic and manga lovers. I look forward to releasing our new app this fall and following up with great new features and improvements at a more rapid pace.

All the best,

David
Co-founder and CEO of comiXology
GM Digital Comics, Amazon"

Kindle Unlimited could be good?

samadriel

I hope Unlimited will be available in Australia, that could save me a lot of money. I wish their wishlist could tell you when stuff is on sale, but that could backfire a bit, given how often stuff is sold at a pathetic discount of a dollar or two.

Custard

Yeah, Unlimited would be very useful. Amazing more countries don't have access to that yet

What I'd really like is the ability to sort your comics. Like you could whack all your Batman stuff in its own folder or list, to tidy it all up a bit. As that My Books bit can be a right mess.

It seems weird that you can sort and file away your books as you see fit on Kindle, but not on comixology, despite it now being so closely linked. Hopefully those options are coming