Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:34:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Only Connect

Started by Pie Pie Eater, October 12, 2020, 06:29:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

I wonder if Coren's attempts at quirky banter and humour are as unbearable to the contestants in real life as they are to me through the telly.

JesusAndYourBush

I like the quirky banter.

RHX

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on October 13, 2021, 11:02:27 AM
Apparently they've been having serious trouble getting contestants,

Excellent, gives my application a better chance of getting through! (Though seriously, I'd hate to see this dropped from TV, probably the only thing I watch with any kind of regularity these days)

Alberon

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on October 13, 2021, 12:21:47 PM

Me too. I really liked the running joke in a previous series of the two question editors actually being one person. I even enjoy the Portillo jokes.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Alberon on October 13, 2021, 02:46:54 PM
I even enjoy the Portillo jokes.

Next, Michael Portillo will be journeying through the countryside looking for a cosy dwelling in which to spend his vacation.
Spoiler alert
Watch "Cottaging with Michael Portillo" in just a moment!
[close]

Ray Travez

Quote from: thecuriousorange on October 13, 2021, 03:02:20 AM
She's normally better at geeing up the reluctant introverts.

She didn't count them in like she usually does. There wasn't a clear signal when to start, so they came in weakly.

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on October 13, 2021, 12:21:47 PM

Me too.

On Monday's episode the winning team should've had a point deducted when their captain said "Staying Alive" instead of "Stayin' Alive" in the missing vowels round.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Norton Canes on October 12, 2021, 10:35:18 AM
I don't see a thread for this series of University Challenge and I can't be arsed starting one but last night's was a significant episode, worth a watch for UC enthusiasts.

And last night... I was only vaguely concentrating, but did Paxo penalise a team twice for interrupting incorrectly, and then hand the question over with NO FURTHER WORDS?

Time for him to go, I think.

Norton Canes

I think if you trample over so much as the final half syllable of the last word in a question it counts as an interruption, even though there's no more of it to read.

gilbertharding

You should wait a fraction of a second after he's finished speaking, to see if the Oxbridge team know the answer.

Norton Canes

Last night was the Royal Northern College of Music versus Emmanuel Cambridge. The music round was "You're about to hear a piece of classical music, name the composer". RNMC got it after like two seconds. If you're Emmanuel, just buzz instantly and say a composer, because RNMC aren't going to get it wrong.

Rolf Lundgren

Horrible question this week
Spoiler alert
12 at 12, 34 at 34
[close]
, infinitely harder than knowing The Wurzels.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

That was a bit of a pisstake. It said
Spoiler alert
"12", not "1 2"
[close]

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on October 27, 2021, 09:03:30 PM
Horrible question this week
Spoiler alert
12 at 12, 34 at 34
[close]
, infinitely harder than knowing The Wurzels.
They've had quite a few questions like that. If  you see
Spoiler alert
12 34 or 1 23 456 or anything like that you should instantly know what's happening.
[close]
Also they've had some where it's like
Spoiler alert
the first letter of "one", the second letter of "two", etc
[close]
. A lot of it seems to be knowing the sort of connections they like to come up with. Maybe I'm just smug because I got it (including a proper 4th in the sequence) after 2 clues.

bgmnts

Yeah that question was a cunt that they did wrong really, oh well.

JesusAndYourBush

Can someone explain the prime numbers one?  How did the crossed out prime numbers differ from the not crossed out ones?

Pie Pie Eater

the non-crossed out primes were the ones that were composed of two single digit primes (i.e. involving only 2,3,5 or 7). There are only 4 such (73, 53, 37, and 23)

Pie Pie Eater

Spoiler alert
Tony Hancock
[close]
question was pretty bad tonight I thought - almost completely ungettable from the first clue and requiring a wild guess on the second. I figured out roughly what it was going to be then but there were potentially loads of ways it could have gone.

JesusAndYourBush

Ah, thanks. She went over it too fast and I was like 'huh, what??'

beanheadmcginty

On the connections wall round, when the say "water wall" my brain instinctively adds "carpeting" immediately after. It does this every single time.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Every time someone buzzes in with an answer, I can't help but think of this: https://youtu.be/9XqcvC5Z4vo

JesusAndYourBush

Haha, I thought it was
Spoiler alert
Bagpuss
[close]
, but I was only taking the piss, I was suprised when it was revealed as the right answer.

Alberon

If you'd asked me to give the opening narration to that I couldn't have done it, but with the three clues I shouted out "
Spoiler alert
Saggy cloth cat
[close]
!" Only one I got all episode.

Gurke and Hare

I got the Assassin's Creed one (as with the Bagpuss one, I think these are poor questions for OC as they're pure knowledge with no way to work them out if you don't know) and the line, page, chapter, book sequence one. And loads of the missing vowels obviously.

rue the polywhirl

Shame there's not a PHWOAR thread anymore. Victoria's get-up with white Punch t-shirt is very busty and eminently delectable.

Have any other fetishists noticed that this season's connecting wall segments have been slightly reframed so you can no longer see what shoes Victoria is wearing?  A highlight of the previous 16 seasons IMO.

JesusAndYourBush

Has she worn any really kinky ones?  Asking for a friend.

JesusAndYourBush

A bit Hannibal Lector?
A bit Bruce Forsyth more like!

McDead

Quote from: bgmnts on October 13, 2021, 11:06:54 AMI wonder if Coren's attempts at quirky banter and humour are as unbearable to the contestants in real life as they are to me through the telly.

Can't abide her little links between rounds, truly abysmal stuff. Here's a tip if you've got a tivo or Virgin box, pause OC at the beginning for about five minutes, then use this time surplus to breeze past all of her woeful banter and get to the actual questions and quiz bits. Makes the whole thing much more watchable.

Edited to add: I did like her dress tonight, though

Norton Canes