Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:24:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Beans on toast

Started by eagle_bearer, October 16, 2021, 04:13:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eagle_bearer

Hey there. I hope you're having a nice Saturday. I'm 'chillaxing' as the kids say. I hope you're taking some time to yourself. We all know the grind don't stop, but it can take a back seat for a few moments every now and again.

Last night, I had beans on toast for tea. It's a relaxed meal. A comfort food. I keep it simple, just adding a dash of HP sauce. I washed it down with a piping cup of tea. It's a warm and wholesome meal that really hits the spot and settles you down. Maybe if Ted Bundy had eaten a few rounds of beans on toast, he might not have gone off the handle the way he did. Food for thought.

Do you like beans on toast? I'm always open-minded, so perhaps you have some tips for making the tastiest version. I use Warburtons Toastie bread and Heinz beans. Any suggestions for the best kind of bread to use? Maybe you think there are better baked beans. I'm all ears. Regarding brown sauce, I know some people prefer Daddies to HP, but I don't like it. Perhaps you use another condiment to spruce up your snack. Don't miss your chance to let us all know :)

Dex Sawash

Never had it but would probably have beans on Texas Toast

Sebastian Cobb

knob of butter in beans

if using cheese it should be beans on cheese on toast not cheese on beans on toast, cheers

thenoise

I used to put a glug of tabasco in the beans while they were cooking and stir it in, but now I'm cooking for two a little hot sauce on the top after serving is acceptable. I use cholula, it's mild but tasty so you can use plenty.

A bit of spice is necessary to hide the cloying sweetness of the beans. I buy low sugar beans (Sainsburys), but it's still rather sugary for a savoury food.

Brown toast, buttered, beans and finish with grated cheese and/or a poached egg. Plain beans alone is for students.

seepage

Half-toasted granary bread, low-sugar beans congealed a bit, shitloads of black pepper and a pinch of salt.

imitationleather

I like baked beans on potato waffles because I am ten years old.

While beans are heating in pan, add cheddar cheese both for flavour and to thicken sauce. Encona hot pepper sauce also added at this stage to provide extra cheekiness. Serve on white medium sliced toast (Warburton's in this house) and add generous amounts of white pepper.

Sebastian Cobb

thenoise

JamesTC

Catalogue of ills

I add Henderson's relish (the spicy Yorkshire sauce') for a bit of tang, or Lea & Perrin's would do. I agree, beans on toast is an underrated meal.

I'm also one of those barbarians who don't insist on Heinz beans and in fact find Aldi's to be perfectly acceptable.

canadagoose

Add cheese and use the beans with the little sausages in them, and it's perfect. Also needs brown sauce mixed in with the beans.

Johnny Textface

I like to include grated cheese and a poached egg (proper one done in a pan with vinegar).

Really don't bother with sauce these days (although I do obviously have tartare with fish and chips) . Even on my usual sausage butty I've moved to the cheese slice.

Love cold baked beans straight out of the tin and all. Good for trumps.

Just realised I shouldn't really be contributing to a beans on toast thread as, despite what I wrote earlier, I usually have the beans in a bowl with the (Tory) toast cut into triangular quarters on a side plate. I often use the toast triangles to scoop up the beans, in the same way you might use pieces of roti to eat dhal.

Sebastian Cobb

tablespoon of pataks curry paste is good if you like that sort of thing

also good in scrambled eggs fact fans

seepage

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on October 16, 2021, 04:41:48 PM
I'm also one of those barbarians who don't insist on Heinz beans and in fact find Aldi's to be perfectly acceptable.

+1

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

The last time I had it it was one of those Hunger Breaks Full Monty things. I know they're processed bullshit in a tin, but they're also surprisingly tasty.

Do most people use the bean/toast configuration of one full slice in the middle of the plate with two halves on either side, then the beans applied to the full slice, and the halves being used as scoops?

monkfromhavana

As I'm a cut above you savages I have the beans with the little sausages in on toast.

3 pieces of toast, Tabasco and HP.

gib

i used to like the old curried beans with the sultanas in then heinz fucked with the recipe, see also barbecue beans, cheers

shiftwork2

bgmnts

Just cooked up some kidney beans and put it on some buttered toast.

Not my thing.

The Dog

One bean is a tragedy; a thousand beans is a statistic also a tragedy.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I think on QI it said that we're the only people in the world who eat baked beans, apart from Finland or something. I bet even the Queen eats beans.

Catalogue of ills

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on October 16, 2021, 05:35:44 PM
I think on QI it said that we're the only people in the world who eat baked beans, apart from Finland or something. I bet even the Queen eats beans.

Surely the Yanks eat them, with corn syrup or some shit

Chedney Honks

The Chinese call it 'bean on the toast' according to an Irish pub I went to in Shanghai.

Johnny Foreigner

I don't really like toast. Bread is perfectly edible in its natural state.
Beans should always be part of a full English/Scottish. Particularly the Tesco's own brand with tiny sausages in. If you're a snob, Heinz do them too.

another Mr. Lizard

Beans - conventional, Heinz, hot but not roof-of-mouth-removing.

Occasional additions (not compulsory) - tiny dash of HP stirred into the pan while cooking; olive spread on the 'toast' (see below)

Toast (without wanting to turn this into a tedious 'regional variations to describe a bread roll' discussion) - two lightly toasted halves of a large sliced cob.

The Dog

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on October 16, 2021, 05:35:44 PM
we're the only people in the world who eat baked beans

What do other countries do with them?