Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:48:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Egg on toast

Started by Catalogue of ills, October 18, 2021, 09:01:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buelligan

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on October 19, 2021, 01:58:29 PM
All this, "microwaved scrambled eggs are great", is absolute fucking dribble. Laziness and a slovenly attitude towards egg preparation has turned people's minds to slush.

Totes agree Cuntbeaks.  They should be fucking terminated.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Buelligan on October 18, 2021, 09:17:33 PM
Why?  I think this is just some weird thing English people do to fuck up their own cooking, even on very simple things.  That is my opinion.

I think Brits and Irish people just love their dairy. Try finding a carbonara in Ireland with no cream in it, almost impossible. Even though as we all know carbonara has no cream in it at all.

I used to put butter and milk in scrambled egg until I saw a Jamie Oliver thing where he said just a bit of salt and pepper is all that's needed. I love a short cut and it tastes just as good.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Cloud on October 18, 2021, 09:18:21 PMI like poached

Probably my favourite but I never bother because it seems like a hassle and I never got into the habit. You either can only do one at a time or you need a special contraption.

pigamus

Owing to some sort of vomiting incident as a very young child, I became convinced I was allergic to eggs, and I've never eaten one since. I ought to try one and see how it goes - I am sort of interested to see what an egg tastes like.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Cloud on October 18, 2021, 09:23:53 PM
You know those little crunchy "bacon (flavoured) bits" you get with salads and stuff?

Right, well this gives me the idea of sprinkling some of those on scrambled egg on toast.  Reckon that would be nice.

If you ask for bacon and eggs in Mexico you will most likely be given that.

I had Eggs Royale, a posh variation of egg on toast for breakfast at a pub last week. Poached eggs and hollandaise sauce with smoked salmon on a toasted muffin. Fucking rank.

The cook presumably added vinegar to "acidulate" the water and it tasted like he'd gone for 50:50 water/vinegar. I don't need that much vinegar at breakfast time. Give me two fried eggs on toasted white bread with plenty of butter and white pepper any day.

Sounds more like shit hollandaise. Probably out of a jar. The jarred ones are like 25% vinegar. Absolutely horrible.

I don't think I tried the hollandaise on its own so you could well be right. The overpowering vinegar taint certainly ruined what looked like a really nice breakfast. Ah well, first world problems.

isnt that Eggs Benedict?  Whats the diiference? 

Quote from: Mrs Wogans lemon drizzle on October 19, 2021, 04:54:51 PM
isnt that Eggs Benedict?  Whats the diiference? 

Eggs Benedict is usually with ham, Royale is with smoked salmon.

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on October 19, 2021, 04:56:13 PM
Eggs Benedict is usually with ham, Royale is with smoked salmon.

Cheers.  How long should one leave them to cool?

Why can't you just eat cereal like the other children?

I do enjoy warm milk in my Weetabix, if that helps?

mothman

Quote from: Lost Oliver on October 19, 2021, 06:58:34 AM
just scramble it with a fork and throw the remains on any toasted bread, providing it's soaked in butter

... or else it gets the hose?

Quote from: pigamus on October 19, 2021, 02:08:26 PM
Owing to some sort of vomiting incident as a very young child, I became convinced I was allergic to eggs, and I've never eaten one since. I ought to try one and see how it goes - I am sort of interested to see what an egg tastes like.

When I was about six or seven, my favourite lunch was poached eggs on toast. I loved it. I can remember to this day how amazing it was. How the runny yolk would soak into the roast...

... and nothing would convince me to eat it ever again. I have a total aversion to it. And I don't know why. I do know that around that time I had dysentery (we were living abroad), to the extent of being hospitalised for it, and took a long time to recover. I occasionally wonder if these two facts are connected.

All Surrogate

Poached for me. Seems like the essence of egg. No oil or butter or anything. The contrast of the firm/yielding white (clear skies) and gooey yolk (sunshine). No peeling hassle. Poached.

touchingcloth

Quote from: checkoutgirl on October 19, 2021, 02:05:17 PM
Probably my favourite but I never bother because it seems like a hassle and I never got into the habit. You either can only do one at a time or you need a special contraption.

You can do multiple at a time if you have a wide and shallow enough pan, and it helps for the eggs to be as fresh as possible. If for no other reason, keeping hens is worth it for the poaching potential.

Twit 2

Quote from: checkoutgirl on October 19, 2021, 02:03:10 PM
I used to put butter and milk in scrambled egg until I saw a Jamie Oliver thing where he said just a bit of salt and pepper is all that's needed. I love a short cut and it tastes just as good.

Scrambled eggs without butter tastes as good as with? Insanity. And how is the egg not sticking to the pan?

Never, ever take Jamie Oliver's advice on anything, least of all food.

Catalogue Trousers

Huevos rancheros or GTFO.

EGG! Egg, egg, like a HEN's egg, I HATE hens etc

Johnny Foreigner

A quick reminder that eggs may only be poached during daylight hours. Nocturnal poaching is illegal under the 1828 Night Poaching Act.

TrenterPercenter

Has anyone ever done that fried egg thing where you pour a bit of water in the pan and cover it so you part steam the yolk?

You mean boil it?  Yes many times, thanks.

the hum

Quote from: Buelligan on October 18, 2021, 09:14:23 PM
And no milk, man, no milk.  Are you crazy?

It's beyond my ability to stress how correct this is. See also making a decent carbonara, although by all means add your milk and "huvy cureem" if you want to neutralise the flavours and make a plate of overly rich munge.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Mrs Wogans lemon drizzle on October 19, 2021, 10:57:16 PM
You mean boil it?  Yes many times, thanks.

No it's fried for a minute then it is steamed as I've just mentioned.  Egg nonce.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on October 19, 2021, 10:26:55 PM
Huevos rancheros or GTFO.

Heuevos divorciados is 2 eggs, fried apart, 1 topped with red salsa, 1 with green. My lunch spot adds a 3rd egg topped with the queso they normally put on nachos. This invokes the colors of el flago del Mexico 🇲🇽

Sherringford Hovis

Replies From View

Rosé wine has egg and milk in it.  I have seen them adding it in

Shit Good Nose

Here's your fucking egg(s) on toast:

Frankly I'm appalled it's taken three pages.

(due credit to Mr Farenheit)

olliebean

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on October 19, 2021, 01:58:29 PM
All this, "microwaved scrambled eggs are great", is absolute fucking dribble. Laziness and a slovenly attitude towards egg preparation has turned people's minds to slush.

Goddamn hob snob. I promise you, it's just as good in the microwave, assuming you do it properly. Of course you don't get to pretend you're Gordon Ramsay, which I guess makes a difference to some people.

earl_sleek

Nothing is "just as good in the microwave", ever.

Brian Freeze

No-one else putting cheese in their scramblers? Mrs F swears by it.