Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:50:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Succession season 3

Started by Blue Jam, July 15, 2021, 10:15:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Had no idea a third season had been commissioned, never mind filmed, this was a nice surprise:

https://youtu.be/ziBOCIgCaOk

Airing in "Fall" 2021. Kendall Roy being an unselfaware cockend, Roman Roy being a magnificently childish sleazeball, Logan Roy being as terrifying as ever- yep, more of the same good stuff. Can't wait.

chveik

non capisco

That series 2 cliffhanger was so bloody good I'm going to try and avoid any trailers or even fan conjecture until it's on but I will definitely see you in this thread in "the fall", guys. WHAT a show. 

Just saw Kieran Culkin playing a
Spoiler alert
short lived
[close]
unlikeable character in the frankly not all that new Soderbergh film 'No Sudden Move' and got excited to see more of Roman being an utter bellwhiff to everyone in his orbit.

Blue Jam

Kieran Culkin voiced one of the radio show callers in Frasier, fact.

Quote from: chveik on July 15, 2021, 10:18:13 PM
check out this dunce! (tbf it doesn't seem to inspire the masses)

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=88055.new#new

Nnnrrrrrgghh! I did try a search before posting, honest!

Quote from: non capisco on July 15, 2021, 10:21:22 PM
and got excited to see more of Roman being an utter bellwhiff to everyone in his orbit.

I fucking love Roman Roy. Best comedy-drama sleazebag since Saul Goodman. His summary of Waystar RoyCo's business activities as "Hate speech and rollercoasters" absolutely floored me.

Really need to give the first two seasons a rewatch. Got an unfortunate earworm for this the other day and now I'm wondering how much more cringe-inducing Kendall can get:

L-to-tha-OG
Dude be tha OG-A-N
He playin'...

Blue Jam

Chollis

Custard

October 17, though its not clear if it's the first episode being lobbed on HBO Max, or the entire thing

peanutbutter

Quote from: Shameless Custard on September 14, 2021, 12:38:27 PM
October 17, though its not clear if it's the first episode being lobbed on HBO Max, or the entire thing
It'll be the first episode, running up until a week or two before christmas. It's presumably an 8 or 9 episode season if it's starting that late, maybe opens with a double or something.

selectivememory

First episode available now.

I caught up with this show earlier this year. Best thing on TV by miles at the moment. Season opener was pretty decent, feels like they needed an episode to let the dust settle and reposition everyone after the bombshell at the end of the second season, but it's all nicely poised now.

I love Kendall, he's such a dweeb.

Blue Jam

Thought this was tomorrow for some reason, excellent. Cheers for the heads up!

Blue Jam

Spoiler alert
"WE'LL GO FULL... FUCKING... BEAST!
[close]

Oh yeah. Great start.

Chollis

Quote from: selectivememory on October 18, 2021, 01:34:21 PM

hah yes. great first episode i thought, first half hour especially

Mobius

Yeah really loved that first episode, so glad the show is back. Wish they'd drop them all at once but I suppose we have something to look forward too each week at least.

Blue Jam

Quote from: selectivememory on October 18, 2021, 01:34:21 PM

Me too, he's somehow an even bigger dweeb than Cousin Greg, so cringe-making and so delightfully lacking in self-awareness. Talking over his PR team with "Fuck the weather, we're changing the cultural climate" and looking very pleased with himself while they were wondering who the fuck this jumped-up pipsqueak is. Who knows, maybe this season he'll even top L-to tha-O-G...

Roman still has to be my favourite though, the little shit. Telling Gerri he'd
Spoiler alert
break the big news to Shiv in a sensitive way
[close]
and then you knew exactly what was coming:
Spoiler alert
#Your friend doesn't like you, boo-hoo...#
[close]
. Just gloriously childish. Good to see he's still a revolting little Slime Puppy as well, eh Gerri?

non capisco

Kendall utterly intoxicated on self-importance again was brilliant. The chat with the first set of lawyers was deliciously loathsome.

Spoiler alert
"Who says I haven't killed anyone?"
[close]
'Kin 'ell.

Great to have this complete pack of shitbags back.

chveik

Blue Jam

I am going to meet Logan Roy next month. Bit terrified:

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/ticket-and-book-putting-the-rabbit-in-the-hat-brian-cox-tickets-187593526287

What shall I get him to write in my book? I'm not brave enough to request "FUCK OFF".

Incidentally I have already met the shiny-cheeked physics hamster of the same name and got him to sign a book, so I'll be doing the double here.

"Have a problem in there, buddy? Can't find a vein?"

Inspector Norse

Quote from: Mobius on October 18, 2021, 09:41:54 PM
Wish they'd drop them all at once but I suppose we have something to look forward too each week at least.

At least with one a week you have time for some proper media monitoring the day after to check reviews and opinion. The Internet is big, obviously, and you couldn't read it all.

Glyn

Hugely glad that this is still the best (and often funniest) show on TV. Was great that there were no big set pieces ,helicopters aside, and it was just straight into character driven plot through a series of different conversations and meetings. They've really set this up nicely with all the spinning plates in play, hope it keeps up this level of quality for the next few weeks.

It's the sign of a great show when you give characters like Connor, Greg and Tom some tiny moments which still land perfectly.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Glyn on October 19, 2021, 12:19:35 PM
It's the sign of a great show when you give characters like Connor, Greg and Tom some tiny moments which still land perfectly.

I liked the tiny sub-plot about Willa's play, which evidently bombed, and Connor trying to convince her to play up to the so-bad-it's-brilliant reputation and cultivate an ironic following, The Producers-style, and Willa not buying it because for her it's not about the money (she's got Connor and her other "career" for that, right?) and she just wants to be seen as a great playwright/actor and a serious artiste. I guess thing Willa and Connor actually do have something in common, even if it is a deluded sense of their own abilities and some totally unrealistic career goals. That was just a nice little glimpse into their weird relationship.

Thinking about that now I realise Connor was possibly thinking about the film Waystar RoyCo produced that became known as "The Biggest Turkey In The World" and how the firm was able to capitalise on that and turn its fortunes at the box office around. Connor may not have any business savvy but it was just a little reminder that the Roys are ruthless and greedy and don't care about art or culture, and that they just don't understand ordinary people's hopes and dreams or think like the rest of us. Great writing.

mikeyg27

I wouldn't work out if Kendall was veering into caricature or not as he seemed a lot more OTT than usual, although it might just be that he spent last season as a quivering wreck the whole time and this is a rebound to his true self.

phantom_power

He is also super-wired with adrenalin because of the whole situation. His constant pleas for affirmation that he had done the right thing were almost sweet

thugler

I was slightly aghast at the idea Roman was even in the running for CEO. Gerri or Shiv were the obvious choice

AllisonSays

I feel like Roman and Kendall are opposites, kind of. Roman doesn't care if people think he's clever and he doesn't present himself with a business-school sheen, he's crass and adolescent, but he comprehends the fundamental dynamics of corporate maneuvering pretty clearly - it's all about power, who has it, and who can get it. Kendall tries very hard to come across as lucid, sensitive, thoughtful, contemporary - as in that cringey Bojack line - but his actual grasp of the realpolitik strategy, the power game, is always vague, which is why he always seems to fuck it up. They're both incomplete copies of their da, I guess, but I think Roman's actually slightly closer to him in his willingness to get down to the basics of the situation (something that consistently eludes Kendall, who's obsessed with fripperies and externalities like his Twitter feed).

bobloblaw

Quote from: Blue Jam on October 18, 2021, 10:47:49 PM
I am going to meet Logan Roy next month. Bit terrified:

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/ticket-and-book-putting-the-rabbit-in-the-hat-brian-cox-tickets-187593526287

What shall I get him to write in my book? I'm not brave enough to request "FUCK OFF".

Incidentally I have already met the shiny-cheeked physics hamster of the same name and got him to sign a book, so I'll be doing the double here.

Get them to sign each other's. They'll be worth more.

mjwilson

Quote from: mikeyg27 on October 19, 2021, 03:36:16 PM
I wouldn't work out if Kendall was veering into caricature or not as he seemed a lot more OTT than usual, although it might just be that he spent last season as a quivering wreck the whole time and this is a rebound to his true self.

A big hatful of cocaine maybe?

Quote from: thugler on October 19, 2021, 03:46:04 PM
I was slightly aghast at the idea Roman was even in the running for CEO. Gerri or Shiv were the obvious choice

I thought Shiv really fucked things up last season. (Not to say that Roman hasn't done his share of fucking things up.) Don't know who it could be but Gerri.

Blue Jam

Quote from: bobloblaw on October 19, 2021, 04:44:14 PM
Get them to sign each other's. They'll be worth more.

Ha! I wouldn't dare. Brian Cox The Actor would definitely write "FUCK OFF" if I handed him a book by Brian Cox The Physics Hamster.

phantom_power

Quote from: thugler on October 19, 2021, 03:46:04 PM

I think Logan always keeps people dangling along with the hope they might be the fated one, and he throws names around to judge how others react to them as a sort of test. I don't think Roman was ever really in the running but Logan may have learnt something from those conversations

Inspector Norse

Quote from: mjwilson on October 19, 2021, 05:46:32 PM
I thought Shiv really fucked things up last season. (Not to say that Roman hasn't done his share of fucking things up.) Don't know who it could be but Gerri.

I kind of think Logan offered it to Shiv last season not as a serious future plan but to see how she reacted; and she reacted impatiently and egotistically, and kept showing poor judgment. It's interesting that as mentioned with Kendall and Roman above, it's the qualities (or flaws) that have made Logan so successful that, in different combinations, make his offspring all unsuited for the top job.
Roman is one who - perhaps because of Geri's influence, and it's hard not to imagine that that subplot is going to end quite delightfully horribly - seems to be developing and getting the hang of what it takes, and he sometimes shows the ruthlessness and killer instinct that Logan has previously looked for in Kendall. But it's Kendall who has the head for details and figures and contacts.
Ultimately the problem is that if the three kids (let's ignore the utterly useless Connor at this point) could work together, they might do a good job, but their total dysfunction prevents it. The moments when they let their guards down and show genuine affection are some of the show's strongest, I often think, but one of its other strengths is showing just how completely fucked up this lifestyle makes people.

In a way I can see the show struggling if it strings out its titular question much longer: the squabbling for the throne will get tiresome in the end and a new direction will be needed. Thus far, though, it's done a great job of keeping everyone guessing. It could genuinely be anyone (other than Connor[nb]or Tom, very much the Matt Hancock of this world[/nb]): none of the three kids are really up to it, Geri and some of the other suits are developing into real contenders, Marcia is manoeuvring in the background, outside forces are circulating, and Greg is definitely up to something.