Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:30:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

shut the fuck up about squid game

Started by madhair60, October 25, 2021, 01:13:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Calf

Saw the first two episodes, was bored and went back to playing Thumper.

H-O-W-L

Is it very untoward of me to also say I feel there's a degree of... weird "ooh look at the strange foreign thing!" with the way people talk about it or comment on it, too? I don't want to drop any specific -isms but...

lazyhour

(nicked from David Quantick)

Spoiler: he dyes in the end.

Retinend

I think it's a sign that people are more cosmopolitan, not more racist, that Squid Game is so (rightly) popular.

shiftwork2

Netflix is great, you can save an easy tenner off your household bills by cancelling it.  Cheers netflix

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Honestly I reckon I'm the exact opposite. Love a bit of serialised TV but can't be arsed with films most of the time. Hey Angrew would you like to sit in front of a screen for 2 and a half hours and watch this big long fucking thing while your arse goes numb, and then once it's finished, that's it, all done forever? No thank you, I will watch a reasonable 45 minutes of a thing while I eat my dinner, then go back and watch a bit more of it tomorrow. It's a no brained, thanks. Although honestly both films and TV rank below music, drinking and sleeping for me

Thursday

Quote from: Angrew Lloyg Wegger on October 25, 2021, 09:44:06 AM
Honestly I reckon I'm the exact opposite. Love a bit of serialised TV but can't be arsed with films most of the time. Hey Angrew would you like to sit in front of a screen for 2 and a half hours and watch this big long fucking thing while your arse goes numb, and then once it's finished, that's it, all done forever? No thank you, I will watch a reasonable 45 minutes of a thing while I eat my dinner, then go back and watch a bit more of it tomorrow. It's a no brained, thanks. Although honestly both films and TV rank below music, drinking and sleeping for me

Equally though.

"This film is boring, ah well only half an hour left."

As opposed to.

"This show is boring, still 5 episodes left, but I have to see it through now."

Captain Z

I'll get round to it, still got to catch up on series 3 of Lost.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Quote from: Thursday on October 25, 2021, 09:50:37 AM
Equally though.

"This film is boring, ah well only half an hour left."

As opposed to.

"This show is boring, still 5 episodes left, but I have to see it through now."

Nah it's more, "This show is boring, I shall WATCH SOMETHING ELSE"

Although the same goes for films really so I guess it's a moot thing. But if something's really shit but I'm curious as to how it ends, I'll probably just look up the plot summary on wikipedia

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: H-O-W-L on October 25, 2021, 09:06:21 AM
Is it very untoward of me to also say I feel there's a degree of... weird "ooh look at the strange foreign thing!" with the way people talk about it or comment on it, too? I don't want to drop any specific -isms but...

I think reason why it is popular is that it is a very base (easy to understand) and uncomplicated (and therefore safe) allegory for capitalism.  It's the same impact The Running Man had because whilst people can't be bothered with Marxism (ugh borrring and for smart people) the theme of being in someone else's game, in which you can be a winner but die trying obviously resonates with people because of capitals traumatising sado-maschoism.

I've met quite a few people that have been slightly politicised by it and in this sense it is very good - I think if you already have a good idea about these things already then it isn't going to be all that and critiques emerge on the actual art of it all.

The Crumb

I quite like South Korea spreading its culture by means of sporadic record breaking mega-smashes. Just need them to randomly make the most popular game ever now.

Butchers Blind

I've heard it described a 'life changing'. This isn't true, I watched it and I still found myself going into work the next day and eating tinned macaroni cheese for tea.

Icehaven

I've got no stomach whatsoever for violent stuff so have no interest in watching this. That is definitely the only reason and not because I look at my phone so much when watching anything that I don't really bother with anything with subtitles.

katzenjammer

Quote from: Thursday on October 25, 2021, 01:40:31 AM
... it was alright. Pretty good but not essential. Shit ending.

Everyone I know who's seen it has said the same thing, so I'm not in any rush.  It's probably better if you speak Korean

Chedney Honks

It's good that it's done well if only because it might open up the mainstream English-speaking audience to more non-English language shows and films. Greater cultural awareness and appreciation will only help break down barriers.

Icehaven

Quote from: katzenjammer on October 25, 2021, 10:12:02 AM
Everyone I know who's seen it has said the same thing, so I'm not in any rush.  It's probably better if you speak Korean
Wasn't there something about it being mistranslated too? The meaning of some lines was changed or something.

Consignia

This thread is somewhat unnecessary since we already have two threads about Squid Game, and they are both of people who hate it.

Quote from: icehaven on October 25, 2021, 10:08:42 AM
I've got no stomach whatsoever for violent stuff so have no interest in watching this. That is definitely the only reason and not because I look at my phone so much when watching anything that I don't really bother with anything with subtitles.

It is dubbed, so can watch it if you like being a heathen. Just kidding, of course everyone should watch entertainment how they find it most comfortable. Although I am surprised about the amount of people who find watching things with subtitles a blocker. It's come up a surprising number of times in regards with people I've been speaking to recently.

Consignia

Quote from: icehaven on October 25, 2021, 10:20:24 AM
Wasn't there something about it being mistranslated too? The meaning of some lines was changed or something.

Ooh, no. I wrote a bit about that in one of the Squid Game threads, but it was more of one TikToker getting the wrong impression from the subtitles for the dub and also in general not getting how professional translating works. The translation for both dub and sub was pretty fair.

Paul Calf

Quote from: icehaven on October 25, 2021, 10:08:42 AM

*cough*

I don't know what you mean.

Buelligan

This is what I reckon (on the basis of not having watched this shite and not having a relationship with Netflix).  Netflix is going down the pan.  They've got this, they're hyping it like their lives depend on it because they do.

touchingcloth

Chollis

you should be thankful it's not Marvel madhair, imagine!!

Pink Gregory

Hustlers wanna get off their Squid Game and get on their Quid Game *arm emoji prayer emoji*

Icehaven

Quote from: Consignia on October 25, 2021, 10:26:17 AM
Ooh, no. I wrote a bit about that in one of the Squid Game threads, but it was more of one TikToker getting the wrong impression from the subtitles for the dub and also in general not getting how professional translating works. The translation for both dub and sub was pretty fair.

It was this article I read.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-58787264

But it sounds like the same person.

Icehaven

Quote from: Consignia on October 25, 2021, 10:23:32 AM
It is dubbed, so can watch it if you like being a heathen. Just kidding, of course everyone should watch entertainment how they find it most comfortable. Although I am surprised about the amount of people who find watching things with subtitles a blocker. It's come up a surprising number of times in regards with people I've been speaking to recently.

I was being a bit facetious with the subtitle thing but I really don't like violent stuff at all so I'd give this a swerve purely because of that. Anything more than a light slap across the chops has me reaching for the off switch. I know I'm probably missing a lot of good stuff because of this but I just don't want those images in my head.

madhair60

Quote from: Chollis on October 25, 2021, 10:49:42 AM
you should be thankful it's not Marvel madhair, imagine!!

it basically is.

Consignia

Quote from: icehaven on October 25, 2021, 11:08:43 AM
I was being a bit facetious with the subtitle thing but I really don't like violent stuff at all so I'd give this a swerve purely because of that. Anything more than a light slap across the chops has me reaching for the off switch. I know I'm probably missing a lot of good stuff because of this but I just don't want those images in my head.

I was also being a bit cheeky, I didn't mean to suggest you (or anyone really) should watch it, or that you are heathen for not watching subtitles[nb] You may still be a heathen, but for entirely other reasons 😉[/nb]. There's an entirely fair number reasons not to watch, including if you don't like the violence, and you shouldn't just because everyone else is. I just latched on to the subtitle comment because it was something I'd heard a lot of in real life. Hope you don't feel singled out because my jumping off your comment.

Icehaven

Quote from: Consignia on October 25, 2021, 11:19:45 AM
I was also being a bit cheeky, I didn't mean to suggest you (or anyone really) should watch it, or that you are heathen for not watching subtitles[nb] You may still be a heathen, but for entirely other reasons 😉[/nb]. There's an entirely fair number reasons not to watch, including if you don't like the violence, and you shouldn't just because everyone else is. I just latched on to the subtitle comment because it was something I'd heard a lot of in real life. Hope you don't feel singled out because my jumping off your comment.

No not at all, no worries! And yes there's plenty of other reasons for my heatheness...

Jerzy Bondov

So much that would once have been a shit film now must instead be a shit TV series that's 8 times as long as it would have been. Not fucking arsed. With the Marvel ones it means you get a two hour film of some lad you know like Spider-Man or Captain America, then a ten hour TV show of some shit you've never heard of, fucking Bog Boy, fucking Flying Arse Man, fucking What If Batman Was A Fat Sweaty Paedo

Dex Sawash

Do subtitles mask bad acting? I nearly alway like sub'd things that I watch ( but not watched Squidward Game)