Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:07:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

An Alternative History of "Pop" Music: Part 3, 2004 -

Started by jamiefairlie, October 25, 2021, 04:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

Sebastien Tellier - Broadway

[Tellier] {Astralwerks}
(from the album Politics)

Taken from Politics, Sebastien Tellier's second album, Broadway is one of the English language tracks on a record also sung in German, Spanish and his native French.
Broadway, along with several remixes, was eventually released as a single in 2006.

daf

Aberfeldy ‎– Heliopolis by Night

Reached #66 in the UK chart in August 2004

QuoteAberfeldy were formed in 2002 by the singer-songwriter Riley Briggs in Edinburgh, Scotland with Sarah McFadyen (violin), Ian Stoddart (drums), Ken McIntosh (bass), and Ruth Barrie (keyboards). Riley met the band members in various locations in Edinburgh – Sarah and Ian through The Royal Oak bar, Ken through an advert for a punk band, and Ruth through working as a barmaid in The Bongo Club. The band were named after the Scottish town where Riley's granddad had a caravan. ‎

In 2003, Aberfeldy recorded fourteen songs with producer Jim Sutherland at his studio above Edinburgh's Bongo Club, using only one microphone and no overdubbing. The resulting tracks were licensed to Rough Trade Records and released in 2004 as the album 'Young Forever'.

Jim Sutherland : "We started multitracking the songs, but it didn't really capture what was special about Riley. There's something special he has when he's sitting with his guitar and he sings. Maybe he kind of gets off on something to do with the resonance of the guitar, I don't know, but it certainly makes him sing better, and that was what I really wanted to capture. So I thought 'We'll just demo these songs for now,' and bunged up a mic. That was kind of the beginning of it all."

The single "Heliopolis by Night" was NME's single of the week on release.

Jim Sutherland : "Those first one-mic recordings were just for ourselves, really, but I felt there was something really worth pursuing in them. They had real atmosphere, and I thought it would really great to be able to create the standard of production that people are more used to hearing these days and also retain the atmosphere that you get when a bunch of people play in a room together."

Gregory Torso

Justus Köhncke - Timecode

Teutonik Motorik Tik-Tok Tekno from Justus Köhncke, a DJ auf Gießen, Germany.

From der "Zwei Photonen" 12 inch released on Kompakt in das 2004.

Brundle-Fly

Come To Debbie - Ergo Phizmiz And His Orchestra Released on Mukow Productions in 2004.

Fancy a Lynchian Balkanesque folk version of Come To Daddy by Aphex Twin? Fill your boots!

Ergo Phizmiz AKA DW Robertson Ergo is a sound artist living in Bridport, UK, operating from his own studio called Grindia or Grin Dear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2vymyd882U&t=25s

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: DrGreggles on October 28, 2021, 11:01:24 AM

Sebastien Tellier - Broadway

[Tellier] {Astralwerks}
(from the album Politics)

Taken from Politics, Sebastien Tellier's second album, Broadway is one of the English language tracks on a record also sung in German, Spanish and his native French.
Broadway, along with several remixes, was eventually released as a single in 2006.

Christ! Was Politics that long ago? I need a lie down.

DrGreggles

Snuff - You're A Big Girl Now

Snuff are a punk rock band from London formed in 1986. This is a Bob Dylan song from an album of covers called Greasy Hair Makes Money. It's a song without a chorus unless you consider the ending of every verse the chorus.

Karate- "The State I'm In" a.k.a. "Goode Buy From Cobbs Creek Park"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99eyFS8GMoo

In just over 2 and a half minutes, along with some cracking guitar soloing, Karate bandleader Geoff Farina relates a strikingly detailed and geographically specific vignette of being drunk on martinis with a friend's mother, sobering himself up and driving off through a snowy Pennsylvania afternoon before getting his brakes fixed at a garage at an out of town business park, where he sees a prison riot breaking out in the distance, realises that this the prison is where Mumia Al Jamal is being held, and on arriving home and watching TV, likens the scenes he saw to South American political radicals like the Zapatistas and the FARC (the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Columbia). The invocation of American brands like Tastycake, Sears and Mopar reminds me a bit of Jonathan Richman driving past a Stop-n-Shop in "Roadrunner", but the swarm of political references gives it a thoroughly Internet version 1, early 2000s, No Logo-ish feel.

Johnny Foreigner

Janus - Die Tage werden enger

Janus is Dirk Riegert and Toby Hahn. They are more a 'musical project' than a band as such, only releasing concept albums that incorporate an elaborate storyline, with some of the tracks also containing spoken narration.
Auferstehung, which appeared in 2004, was their third album of this kind and was released with a bonus CD, Kleine Ängste, alongside an accompanying audiobook that allowed the listener to make sense of it all. In this instance, the lyrics are partly taken from Kafka.

Rizla

Quote from: daf on October 28, 2021, 11:11:35 AM
Aberfeldy ‎– Heliopolis by Night

Reached #66 in the UK chart in August 2004
I'd forgotten all about that little cut-out sheet with the rocket, where did you find that??

The Sound On Sound article our producer was quoted from infuriated me, made it sound like I was some wee twat who'd never been in a recording studio (I was literally 28). The one-mic recording thing was my idea. Doesn't mention it tied us up for over a year recording the thing (when he wasn't too stoned to function), and that he demanded house-buying money from the record company whereas we barely got new trainers money.
I still sort of prefer the  version I did with my previous band, which was part of a ridiculous rock opera somewhat based on Alan Moore's one-off Horus-Lord Of Light comic from his 1963 series

daf

Quote from: Rizla on October 28, 2021, 10:46:54 PM
I'd forgotten all about that little cut-out sheet with the rocket, where did you find that??

45cat for all your single sleeve oddball-insert needs *

(Great song, by the way - both versions! :)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
* (you'll need to register to get the large-size images)

jamiefairlie

Múm - The Ghosts You Draw On My Back

https://youtu.be/p4lmpeZaqKg

Formed in Iceland 1997 by original members Gunnar Örn Tynes and Örvar Þóreyjarson Smárason, who were joined by twin sisters Gyða and Kristín Anna Valtýsdóttir. They released their debut EP in 1998 and this is from their 'Summer Make Good" album.

Brundle-Fly

Idiot - Superthriller. Released on Mint Music in 2004.

That whole late-nineties electronica-tinged blues/ country/ folk-funk vibe (Beck, Gomez, Grandaddy....hell, even Blur) really cast a long shadow, in hindsight. I wasn't complaining.

Superthriller are an English electronic music band from London formed in 2003. They have released five studio albums, including Superthriller 1, The Blank Album, Superthriller 2, Moods and NEWS.

The three constant members of the band are brothers Max and Ben Ringham and Andrew Rutland who all met while producing music for the Shunt Performance Collective

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6GTbbkka58&list=OLAK5uy_nRE36EKH37luONHIFzjDj0805dv1oGSp4&index

Brundle-Fly

This thread is turning up some quality new sounds for me. Obviously, you can't dig everything, but it's great to hear it anyway.  I want to comment on each track but it will slow things down. I was SO wrong about sloping off at the beginning of this millennium. Thanks ants, really appreciated.

As you were.

daf

Kunt And The Gang – Carol Vorderman

Featured on the album 'I Have A Little Wank And I Have A Little Cry' - released in 2004

QuoteKunt and the Gang were formed in 2003 in Basildon, Essex, by former council worker and minor internet hit singer Kunt and his gang, "Little Kunt". They are best known for making various crude synthpop songs related to sexual intercourse and controversial public figures such as Michael Jackson, Jimmy Savile, Nick Clegg and Carol Vorderman.

Kunt : "My favourite is Carol Vorderman because it says everything I want to say about my unrequited love. It is a classic love ballad played at a frantic speed. I met her once but I found myself unable to speak. I just said 'Carol' in a squeaky voice and she looked at me really funny and then I just went off in my pants."

His act generated popularity through performing at a number of pubs and attracting the attention of national magazines. He would then make content for early social networking platforms, predominately MySpace "before the thought police took it over".

Johnny Foreigner

Equalized Intentions - Too Late

Equalized Intentions was a project that recorded three songs. The singer is one Ilse Lathouwers (see below); the music seems to be by Gunter Cautaerts, who is/was the roadie to Erato, a Belgian goth rock band of moderate fame.

'Too Late' appeared on a sampler CD of Belgian goth music in 2004.

Boredoms-Seadrum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqXy4uJ3iK0

To my mind, the fast paced percussion and sound-like-a-piano-genius-by-going-mad-on-the-black-keys workout that begins around 4 minutes into this 20 minute track is the high point of Japanese noise rock band Boredoms idiosyncratic work. The closest reference point I can think of Alice Coltrane deciding to rock out a bit. It's desperately exciting, and the evocation of crashing waves in the title is exactly right. Do stick with it past that intro mind, which is a slightly more trying listen.

jamiefairlie

Sophia - Oh My Love

https://youtu.be/CnrgPsHEot0

After the release of the final The God Machine album in 1995, Robin Proper-Sheppard began recording as Sophia, releasing their first single in 1996. This is their fourth single.

daf

The Link Quartet ‎– Move Move Move

Featured on the album 'Italian Playboys' released in Italy in 2004

QuoteThe Link Quartet were formed in Italy in 1993. The line-up included : Paolo Negri (Hammond organ), Giulio 'Link' Cardini (guitar), Renzo Bassi (bass), Chuck Bergonzi (drums), and Tony 'Face 'Bacciocchi (percussion).

Their first release was the three track 'Alfa Rome Giuliette' 7-inch EP in 1997, followed by the single "Sgnapp" in 1999. Their first album 'Episode 1' was released in 2001, followed by 'Beat.It' in 2002, and 'Italian Playboys' in 2004.

Brundle-Fly

My Darling - Ambershades.  Released on Jack & Danny Records in 2004.

Defiantly retro and sun soaked Beach Boys-y single from another short-lived indie act who were destined for Stuart Maconie's landfill metaphor.

Ambershades was formed in Waterloo Studios, London, in 2001 by Davey La and Ben Castle - both producers who decided to start writing and recording their own material.

Featuring perfect harmonies, with more than a nod to the 60s and full of upbeat summery anthems that on further listens reveal a darker lyrical side, their debut album, Clap Clap Clap became one of the most critically-acclaimed albums of 2004.
Unfortunately, Ambershades have been virtually absent from the musical scene since the release of the album after two members joined the backing band of James Blunt. With two members based in New York and the rest in the UK, it is looking unlikely we'll hear from Ambershades again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3kOTGmAS8c

Koudede - Atiareh

From the first of Nigerien guitarist Koudede Maman's two solo albums. He's usually grouped in the Ishumar style of Tuareg music pioneered by Tinariwen. At 1.13 it sounds like he comes in too soon with the next verse. I don't know who the other singer is and would like to if anyone can help there.

jamiefairlie

Sufjan Stevens - The Transfiguration

https://youtu.be/UDnmO4cTUGc

Taken from his fourth album "Seven Swans".

Seven Swans has a score of 87 out of 100 at Metacritic. The Guardian called it "a record of remarkable delicacy" and Spin described the album as sounding "like Elliott Smith after ten years of Sunday school".

daf

Undercover – Viva England!

Released in 2004 - reached #49 in the UK charts

QuoteUndercover were formed in 1991 by vocalist John Matthews, Steve Mac, and Jon Jules. Their first single was a cover version of Gerry Rafferty's 1978 UK/U.S. hit "Baker Street". It became their biggest hit, when it reached No. 2 in the UK Singles Chart in September 1992.

Undercover released five more chart singles. The second single was a cover of Andrew Gold's "Never Let Her Slip Away", which reached No. 5, and stayed in the charts in the United Kingdom for a total of eleven weeks. Another cover - "I Wanna Stay with You" - originally by Gallagher and Lyle reached No. 28 in 1993.

The musical style of Undercover's interpretations is best described as "cheerful and upbeat", incorporating into the song electronic drums and short piano or organ harmonies, along with repetitive and layered vocal phrases, typical for club songs of the 1990s. In 2004 they released the flop football single, 'Viva England', which was based on the theme tune from the comedy series "Only Fools and Horses".

Brundle-Fly

Non Photo Blue - Pinback.  Released on Touch And Go in 2004.

Enjoyable U.S. indie that were sort of doing Field Music before Field Music.

Pinback is an American indie rock band from San Diego, California. The band was formed in 1998 by singers, songwriters and multi-instrumentalists Armistead Burwell Smith IV and Rob Crow, who have been its two consistent members. They have released five studio albums and several other releases. Named after a character from John Carpenter's Dark Star (1974)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFMYeCMK4IY

jamiefairlie

Tegan and Sara - Downtown

https://youtu.be/5XjOGWD7Otc

Canadian indie pop duo formed in 1998 in Calgary, Alberta, composed of identical twin sisters Tegan Rain Quin and Sara Keirsten Quin. This is from their fourth album "So Jealous"

daf

Josh Rouse ‎– Winter In The Hamptons

Released in 2004 - did not chart

QuoteJosh Rouse was born in the rural town of Oshkosh, Nebraska, he moved to various places during his childhood including Utah, California, Wyoming, and Georgia. He began writing songs aged 18, and following his nomadic childhood, he eventually moved to Clarksville, Tennessee to attend college, although he soon dropped out and moved to Nashville, Tennessee and worked as a parking valet, where he met some local musicians and began recording.

The initial recordings he put to tape eventually became his debut album, 'Dressed Up Like Nebraska', released in 1998.

He went on to collaborate with Kurt Wagner on an EP the following year, and toured in support of artists such as Mark Eitzel, Aimee Mann, and Vic Chesnutt.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

The Ditty Bops - Wishful Thinking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu7289s7l64

QuoteThe Ditty Bops were an American musical duo from Los Angeles, California. Noted for their tight vocal harmonies, they encompassed a variety of musical styles such as folk, bluegrass, blues, western swing, ragtime and musical theatre with guitar, ukulele, mandolin and dulcimer. Their live shows were often very interactive, and had different themes and theatrical elements complete with props, costumes, skits, and amusing slide shows.

Brundle-Fly

Tomorrow - The Memory Band. Released on Hungry Hill in 2004.

A charming folk instrumental. Perfect 1st of November evening in Britain music.

The Memory Band are an English folk group founded in 2003 by core member Stephen Cracknell. Performing with changing singers and players.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ck8EbE3pu4