Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:00:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Succession season 3

Started by Blue Jam, July 15, 2021, 10:15:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glyn

Also thought it was another great episode. Really interesting to see them all realise that this was (perhaps their only?) chance to successfully remove Logan and then see the reasons why each of them backed out (Connor too 'nice', Shiv too self-interested and Roman unable to imagine a world without Logan).

Also a good demonstration of the power dynamic across the siblings, can never be sure but it seemed genuine that Roman and Shiv have been more shielded on the shadier sides of Roystar due to their age. Can see why some people are disappointed by the lack of action so far but if the quality of the writing is good enough then I'm more than happy to see these characters dancing around each other for a while.

Blue Jam

^^^ another great analysis.

I've just remembered Gerri mentioning her daughters and Roman asking "How old are they?". Presumably she didn't tell him how creepy and revolting that was because the were in her nice new office and she didn't want him staining the carpet.

I also liked "Don't threaten me Gerri, I haven't got time to jerk off."

mjwilson

Quote from: Blue Jam on October 26, 2021, 10:40:16 PM
I'd almost forgotten how loathsome Marcia is. Probably the character I love to hate the most.

What did Marcia do that was so loathsome?

Blue Jam

Quote from: mjwilson on October 27, 2021, 08:12:11 PM
What did Marcia do that was so loathsome?

Calling Shiv "a spoilt slut" at her wedding was pretty rich coming from a golddigger. Also falsely accusing Rhea of having an affair with Logan and just coming straight out and asking her to get tested for STDs lest she infects her. And now threatening to take Logan to the cleaners over said imaginary affair (and she had seemed wearily resigned to the possibility of an affair, like it was a price she'd just have to pay for the lifestyle she had become accustomed to). On the surface she seems well-mannered, charming, and just so much classier than those uncouth and uncultured Roys, but underneath she's as cold and ruthless as the rest of them. The French accent does a lot of the work.

And just her general attitude to the Roy brood: "Your fucking kids..." Granted they're not nice people but is she really any better? She didn't have to marry their dad, and she could acknowledge that Logan may have made them that way.

Logan's second wife too, all that pettiness about having Kendall, Roman and Shiv contractually obliged to spend Christmas with her, and making snide remarks about her own kids. I thought some of her dialogue was basically telling us Logan sure knows how to pick 'em.

dr beat

While I enjoy this I dont find it bingeable.  60 mins in one go is enough and plenty to chew on for a good while afterwards.

Blue Jam

mjwilson

Quote from: Blue Jam on October 27, 2021, 09:08:24 PM
Calling Shiv "a spoilt slut" at her wedding was pretty rich coming from a golddigger. Also falsely accusing Rhea of having an affair with Logan and just coming straight out and asking her to get tested for STDs lest she infects her. And now threatening to take Logan to the cleaners over said imaginary affair (and she had seemed wearily resigned to the possibility of an affair, like it was a price she'd just have to pay for the lifestyle she had become accustomed to). On the surface she seems well-mannered, charming, and just so much classier than those uncouth and uncultured Roys, but underneath she's as cold and ruthless as the rest of them. The French accent does a lot of the work.

Oh I meant, what did she do that was loathsome this episode. Yes she was trying to get everything she could out of Logan, but that seemed fair enough (in a Succession context anyway).

EOLAN

I thought it was an open secret that Rhea and Logan were having some intimate relations. All his children seemed convinced about it and they did appear to share a room at times.

As for Martia calling Siobhan a 'spoiled slut' on her wedding day, given the way that She treated Tom on that very day and prior it seems quite perceptive. Think Martia is quite astute and aware myself and is far from a shrinking violet herself. Just has her own way of managing situation and has as much right as all the other assholes to fight her corner.

chveik

yeah i agree. it's also implied that she was already rich before marrying Logan.

"Your fucking kids..." is what everyone in the audience is thinking, given how fucking pathetic and weak they all are

Blue Jam

In the words of Logan Roy himself:

https://www.awardsdaily.com/2020/06/09/succession-season-2-brian-cox-logan-roy-interview/

Quotethe whole point about Rhea and Logan's relationship, is that it's totally a professional relationship and everybody sees it as some kind of affair. But it's not... I think it's become very complicated and sort of needlessly complicated, and of course Logan is somebody who cannot be bothered, he doesn't go in for all that nonsense. He does feel very misunderstood on the whole thing.

...it is a professional relationship. Holly and I quickly agreed on that, and I think everybody agreed on that. It got to the boys, they start imagining all kinds of things. 

Blue Jam

Quote from: EOLAN on October 28, 2021, 11:58:48 AM
As for Martia calling Siobhan a 'spoiled slut' on her wedding day, given the way that She treated Tom on that very day and prior it seems quite perceptive. Think Martia is quite astute

Isn't the open secret the fact that Shiv is cheating on Tom? Marcia is indeed being astute there, but by letting Shiv know she knows, and doing it quietly

Unlike Greg who gets all panicked and tells Tom "SHIV'S HAVING AN AFFAIR!" because he can't read the signals that Tom is fully aware of Shiv's "affair" (and the rest) and turns a blind eye because he's a social climber.

gmoney

Marcia's one of the most likeable for me. I was cheering when she was putting the squeeze on Logan.

beanheadmcginty

I wonder what effect this show will have on Matthew Macfadyen's future career. Before this I always saw him as a  dashing cool confident type, but he's so good at playing a complete coward that I don't think I'll be able to take him seriously ever again.

Blue Jam

Quote from: gmoney on October 28, 2021, 01:09:25 PM
Marcia's one of the most likeable for me. I was cheering when she was putting the squeeze on Logan.

Oh yes, I inwardly cheered at that. I guess I just have a problem with parents who remarry and choose someone who hates their kids, but let it slide because the RFH gets in the way. Bit like Fleabag's dad and Godmother. Always a bit tough to watch for me, though in a good way I suppose (and no, it's not for personal reasons).

Logan's second wife being so mean to her own kids is probably worse though!

Vitamin C

Enjoying this a lot too. I think they could dial down Roman's one-liners a bit. When the four of them were in the room together some of his remarks felt a bit forced and over written to me. The Greg/Uncle Ewan/lawyer thing looks like it could send the plot down a very interesting route, assuming it continues going that way. Also, the trojan horse was great.

Quote from: Vitamin C on October 28, 2021, 03:01:11 PM
Enjoying this a lot too. I think they could dial down Roman's one-liners a bit. When the four of them were in the room together some of his remarks felt a bit forced and over written to me. The Greg/Uncle Ewan/lawyer thing looks like it could send the plot down a very interesting route, assuming it continues going that way. Also, the trojan horse was great.

I did enjoy
Spoiler alert
"Don't threaten me Geri, I haven't got time to jack off"
[close]

Blue Jam

Roman's weird enunciation of
Spoiler alert
"sperrrrmsss"
[close]
had me howling.

Custard

Brian Cox is ruffling a few feathers with his memoir, in which he savagely slates a few people
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2021/10/brian-cox-calls-johnny-depp-overblown-overrated-in-new-book

Really made me laugh

Jack Shaftoe

With Marcia, I always wonder if we're supposed to think she might be a high-up intelligence asset for Mossad or someone - purely because there were so many rumours about Wendy Deng being a Chinese intelligence asset who'd been carefully groomed to get in close with Rupert Murdoch. I don't know if there's even been a hint of that in the show though, or I'm just projecting.

AllisonSays

I'm pretty sure there are some allusions to Marcia having a dangerous past that made me think a similar thing to you, but I can't put my mind to any specific examples.

chveik

the actor is palestinian so lets hope they won't make her mossad agent

Blue Jam

Quote from: Shameless Custard on October 30, 2021, 12:20:59 PM
Brian Cox is ruffling a few feathers with his memoir, in which he savagely slates a few people
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2021/10/brian-cox-calls-johnny-depp-overblown-overrated-in-new-book

Really made me laugh

Hahahahah... very "Needless to say I had the last laugh".

Looking forward to getting my copy on Tuesday. Not looking forward to getting it signed *trembles*

Blue Jam

Quote from: Jack Shaftoe on October 30, 2021, 12:25:56 PM
With Marcia, I always wonder if we're supposed to think she might be a high-up intelligence asset for Mossad or someone - purely because there were so many rumours about Wendy Deng being a Chinese intelligence asset who'd been carefully groomed to get in close with Rupert Murdoch. I don't know if there's even been a hint of that in the show though, or I'm just projecting.

When Shiv hired a private eye to investigate Marcia they couldn't find anything at all on the first 30 years of her life, iirc. Maybe there's something in that.

Not thought about this before, but now you mention it I'm wondering who the thinly-veiled dig at Jerry Hall will be.

Jack Shaftoe

Quote from: chveik on October 30, 2021, 01:58:26 PM
the actor is palestinian so lets hope they won't make her mossad agent

Ha, I didn't realise that, I thought the character was Jewish! Apologies to the Middle East for igniting any conflict.

Quote from: Blue Jam on October 30, 2021, 02:08:17 PM
When Shiv hired a private eye to investigate Marcia they couldn't find anything at all on the first 30 years of her life, iirc. Maybe there's something in that.

Ooh, I missed that, interesting!

Blue Jam

Spoiler alert
Greg's gonna get mugged for that watch by the end of the episode isn't he?
[close]

Blue Jam

Oh god, Roman desperately trying to hide his amusement at
Spoiler alert
'Rape Me'
[close]

selectivememory

Superb episode. I'm glad it ended on a downer for Ken, as the secondhand embarrassment was getting a bit much. His people really need to rein him in.

Tom making some intriguing moves. It seems he finally realises how disposable he is to Shiv and the rest of the family.

Mobius

God the Nirvana song kicking in was great.

Yeah Kendall needs to calm the fuck down. Absolute idiot.

Looks like Tom has just made himself the fall guy for everything. Don't see a good ending for him.