Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:42:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Glinna sadda defeata: 13 going on TERFy: How do you 13eat 13eaver 13other

Started by madhair60, November 03, 2021, 10:22:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HamishMacbeth

Quote from: madhair60 on November 04, 2021, 12:39:23 AM
Oh mate, you'll find posts of mine from a while back that were, if not actively transphobic, "just asking questions" in a way that I am absolutely ashamed of.

I was an anti-feminist and anti-trans "skeptic" about ten years ago. Said a lot of very horrible things I justified because I was saying them in a dispassionate, sciency sounding way.

It was engaging with a feminist and getting my arse handed to me on twitter during the Elevatorgate thing that started me on the path out, and meant I was better prepared when the gamergate thing came along. I feel very ashamed to this day, and very grateful to that person.

That feminist is now a fairly prominent GC. Life is shit like that sometimes.

Cold Meat Platter

Would be great if Graham Linehan can be worked into the fund's name in some way.

chveik

Quote from: JaDanketies on November 03, 2021, 11:12:20 PM
Depressing clicking on the old threads.

yeah don't do that. maybe mads you should get rid of the links for the earlier ones

Mister Six

Nah, they're worth archiving and it's important to recognise them. No point pretending we were all correct on this subject all along. And people can, you know, just not click on and read them if it's going to be upsetting.

Quote from: HamishMacbeth on November 04, 2021, 12:48:30 AM
I was an anti-feminist and anti-trans "skeptic" about ten years ago. Said a lot of very horrible things I justified because I was saying them in a dispassionate, sciency sounding way.

It was engaging with a feminist and getting my arse handed to me on twitter during the Elevatorgate thing that started me on the path out, and meant I was better prepared when the gamergate thing came along. I feel very ashamed to this day, and very grateful to that person.

That feminist is now a fairly prominent GC. Life is shit like that sometimes.

But the balance of the universe has been maintained.

Mister Six

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on November 04, 2021, 12:50:14 AM
Would be great if Graham Linehan can be worked into the fund's name in some way.

The Graham Linehan's Sanity And Career Memorial Fund?

I think it's worth Kankurette kicking off a GB thread about the whip-round, to get people from outside this thread involved.

Maybe make it a GoFundMe kind of thing to raise a bit of cash off-site too?

'The Banana Bursary'?

It got me thinking, so I used this website to generate anagrams of his name. Some amusing results:

QuoteAnal Haram Nigh
QuoteHernial Hag Man
QuoteIran? Hah, Mangle

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: Mister Six on November 04, 2021, 01:06:15 AM
Nah, they're worth archiving and it's important to recognise them. No point pretending we were all correct on this subject all along. And people can, you know, just not click on and read them if it's going to be upsetting.

what a fucking good site this is

chveik

Quote from: Mister Six on November 04, 2021, 01:06:15 AM

i guess it works for a rational person but i couldn't help myself

Dr Rock

If Life Gives You Bananas, make Banana Bread (Bread - cash)?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

ishantbekeepingit

How long did it take to fill up the last thread?  It seemed to be slower than usual for me, but that might just be me not having much to do and checking it more often.

MojoJojo

Nah. It shouldn't all be about him. And it creates a conflict - boosting the charity ends up drawing attention to him, and attention is what he is craving.

The Guppy

Yeah it should have a nice name.

And the description should contain, as an afterthought, "we stand against transphobic bigots like Helen Staniland, Arty Morty, and all those other idiots."

madhair60

I would prefer not to remove the links to the old threads in the interest of archiving, but I could add a disclaimer that there will be upsetting/triggering content in them as they are documenting a learning process.

That said, removing those links doesn't remove the threads, they'll still be accessible. What do we think?

Zetetic

Quote from: Pimhole on November 03, 2021, 04:37:25 PM
Or you can contact your local CVS to find local groups, depending on where you are. Trans Aid Cymru have impressed me recently. You can also search the hashtag #TransCrowdFund to help out individuals in need.

I thought this shouldn't be lost. A group without a clear legal identity like TAC might not be ideal for Barry, but it's worth thinking about why they're a good shout:
- Run by trans people, not just about trans people (which seems a reasonable criticism of Mermaids for example)
- Heavy focus on people's most urgent needs, rather than things that can be more easily marketed as trans related - food and shelter for marginalised people (rather than trying to backfill the NHS)

On the second, this is going to be a difficult winter for many people and some people are particularly vulnerable.

I'd also note, although perhaps not for this fundraiser, that it's worth supporting determinedly trans-inclusive services, particularly those that have come under hateful pressure to change this. On the topic of shelter, Welsh Women's Aid comes to mind.

(I have no relationship to TAC or WWA, although some organisations I'm involved with substantial overlap with the former.)

Zetetic

Quote from: madhair60 on November 04, 2021, 08:31:00 AM
That said, removing those links doesn't remove the threads, threads, they'll still be accessible. What do we think?
I think acknowledging that many people on CaB have learnt through being on here is really useful for others, and I think it's powerful when you count yourself among them as you have in this thread.

Modelling this stuff does make a difference - on this and other topics, it certainly makes me more open to reflecting on my own views and behaviour.

Sonny_Jim

"The real reason they hate Mumsnet" is Grahams latest.

I don't hate Mumsnet?  The 'feminism' subforum which is basically TERF city can fuck off though.

Quote from: Bum face Linehan
Brilliant women like Sunkisses and her friend are the real reason the Gender Stasi wants to shut the site down.
Has anyone actually tried to 'shut the site down'?  Or is this Graham just seeing fucking everything as about him and his little crusade?

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on November 04, 2021, 09:05:25 AM
"The real reason they hate Mumsnet" is Grahams latest.
oh oh let me guess

ay gee pees will never know what it's like to squeeze a life out of their sacred passages

Pavlov`s Dog`s Dad`s Dead

Quote from: Mister Six on November 03, 2021, 10:38:33 PM
Just making sure this isn't lost to the previous thread...
This is one of those ideas which is so good that it seems obvious as soon as it is first mentioned, so kudos to @Kankurette for having the initial flash of inspiration. Which is a long-winded way of saying I'm in.

dreamgirl

Quote from: Zetetic on November 04, 2021, 08:38:12 AM
I think acknowledging that many people on CaB have learnt through being on here is really useful for others, and I think it's powerful when you count yourself among them as you have in this thread.

Modelling this stuff does make a difference - on this and other topics, it certainly makes me more open to reflecting on my own views and behaviour.

I prefer leaving the links in for those reasons. It's really depressing to see people get pulled down the rabbithole from never really having thought about us into bigotry against us. It's comforting to see people go in the positive direction.

Chollis

QDRPHNC

I wasn't, cringed hard reading some of my contributions to the earliest threads. Still. Onwards and upwards.

dead-ced-dead

These threads have been undoubtedly helpful for me. Like others, I cringe at some of things I said about trans folks in the early days of my internet usage. I'm not proud of it, but onwards and upwards as QDRPHNC said.

FalknerHinton

Quote from: Buttered Ghost on November 04, 2021, 01:20:32 AM
'The Banana Bursary'?

It got me thinking, so I used this website to generate anagrams of his name. Some amusing results:

Iran? Hah, Mangle

No, you've got this one wrong. What it actually said was "A Man? Hah, Mangle".

thewomb

madhair60

Quote from: thewomb on November 04, 2021, 10:51:35 AM
I'm only 85% on this one but I think @VegemiteDelight is him.

Pretending to be Aussie of all things

Very very sad

thewomb

First there was a bunch of straightforward socks. Then a mate's old account to avoid the 'October 2021' giveaway, which of course has suddenly gone silent. Feeble disguise was the next logical move.