Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:52:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Gig 'Whores : A New Hope

Started by non capisco, May 01, 2021, 09:17:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveDave

Quote from: SteveDave on October 22, 2021, 05:09:46 PM
I'm going to see Gruff Rhys supported by everyone's favourite depressed scouser Bill Ryder-Jones next Wednesday. It's in Camden though so I'm guaranteed to have a bad time.

Due to having Covid I am now not going to this show. Balls.

The Mollusk

Quote from: peanutbutter on October 22, 2021, 08:14:48 PM
One of the clubs in Tottenham has it's second last big show before they have to close due to all the new shared ownership flats being built around them open up next weekend too, seeing as the actual last show (mid December) will almost certainly be cancelled at this rate I've been contemplating it too.

Is this The Cause by any chance?

Quote from: SteveDave on October 23, 2021, 08:15:24 AM
Due to having Covid I am now not going to this show. Balls.

Mate this royally fucking sucks. I hope you aren't suffering too badly and you get well soon 💖 

Caribou was exceptionally good last night. A fantastic blend of euphoric grooves and heaving waves of psychedelia, spent in the company of two of my best pals, having big hugs and feeling fucking magnificent. I was immensely happy to be back in a big crowd dancing my arse off with a beaming smile on my chops. Really couldn't have asked for more.

peanutbutter

Quote from: The Mollusk on October 23, 2021, 08:22:02 AM
Is this The Cause by any chance?
Yep, I think they might be continuing in a smaller capacity for a bit but they're quite openly saying in their updates that they can't see a way of continuing in that location

DrGreggles

Quote from: Crabwalk on October 23, 2021, 12:49:24 AM
I was there too! First gig in 20 months and it was indeed fantastic.

Gruff was superb, wasn't he.

What did you make of Audiobooks?
I loved the sound, but I had issues with her vocals. 30% singing (which I liked), 30% bad Bjork impression, 30% Liam from Flowered Up, 10% Felicity Kendall.

The Mollusk

Quote from: peanutbutter on October 23, 2021, 11:25:06 PM
Yep, I think they might be continuing in a smaller capacity for a bit but they're quite openly saying in their updates that they can't see a way of continuing in that location

It's very sad. A lot of my friends play there regularly either for club nights or as part of Threads radio, it's a proper little cultural hub. Just one of many great places being flushed the fuck out by the hideous shifting landscape of this wretched city.

The Mollusk

iamcoop

Got tickets to see Imperial Wax next weekend (the last line-up of The Fall sans Mark Smith obviously). Their album is good, if not a bit basic garage/indie rock but by all accounts they melt faces live so it should be a good one. Tiny venue as well.

flotemysost

Quote from: The Mollusk on October 22, 2021, 12:12:13 PM
Residents are doing Union Chapel aren't they? I saw them there a couple years back and it was very good, even at this stage in their career and with middling recorded output they still know how to be appropriately weird in some capacity. One of my favourite venues as well.

Aw nice, I used to volunteer there what feels like a million years ago so if it's an option I might try to get a slot for that night. Or I might just go as a punter.

In fact that very gig a few years back was what prompted me to start volunteering there (it was sold out and I didn't make it, but I'd never been to the venue and before I thought it looked like a cool place to see bands, wasn't wrong).

Quote from: peanutbutter on October 24, 2021, 11:45:32 AM
Talk of Printworks being turned into office spaces too https://weraveyou.com/2021/10/printworks-london-future-unclear-developer-submits-plans-to-build-offices/

Christ. Wonder what pretentious name with a tenuous link to the building's past they'll give to the residential flats, "Strobe House" or something.

chveik

i'd love to see The Residents. the last album was their best in a long while, possibly since Animal Lover

WhoMe

King Hannah were flipping excellent last night. First gig in a couple of years so maybe that added to it but man, they have such a full, accomplished sound for a relatively new band. They are confident enough in their work to keep the pace molten slow on some songs, and let near-silences hang in the air between wall of sound crescendos.
Hannah Merricks vocals are just as good as on record - a rich, textural baritone that doesn't match her diminutive figure. Craig Whittle pulled out some wild extended solos, people were going mad for it.
The Lexington is a nice venue as well, pleased to know places like that have come out the pandemic OK.

The Mollusk

Ah shit I thought the Lexington had gone under! I love that place, really pleased to hear it's still going.

jobotic

Yeah it was touch and go for a while I think. Can't wait to go back.

imitationleather

Quote from: chveik on October 28, 2021, 04:02:32 AM
i'd love to see The Residents. the last album was their best in a long while, possibly since Animal Lover

I've seen them twice. The first time they were doing The Bunny Boy and to be honest it wasn't amazing because the venue was only about a third full. This, and nearly everyone being totally unfamiliar with the material they were playing, made the atmosphere extremely flat. Actually seeing The Residents came with enough novelty to make it worthwhile, though.

Second time was at the Barbican and they were doing material from across their career. From what I can recall it was pretty much sold out and that gig was really superb.

dmillburn

I've had a bit of a mad run of gigs over the last few weeks after getting waylaid with Covid, and it seems all the stuff that's been postponed and rescheduled multiple times is now all happening at once meaning I've had stuff on every Friday and Saturday, plus a few weekdays too.

First up was Bo Ningen, who were as brilliant as always, then Sappho and local power kraut legends Einstellung. A couple of days later I had Luke Vibert and Posthuman at I Love Acid, then the following day it was Are You Listening? festival in Reading with my daughter's band HAQ123, which was great fun - TV Priest, Kid Kin, Billy Nomates were all decent but it was AK/DK who were the real pick of the day - I'm struggling to work out why I have never seen them before as they reminded me of a lot of stuff I like and they were just amazing to watch live. The following week it was Matters on the Wednesday followed by a pretty special Squarepusher gig at the Hare & Hounds in Birmingham. Last night was another festival with HAQ, Fat Out in Manchester, which was great fun if a bit cold and miserable.

I've got plenty more this month too, starting with Bukem and Roni Size on Saturday then Part Chimp, Young Knives and Pigs x7 and another trip with HAQ for the Cosmic Carnage all dayer in Cardiff amongst others later in the month. I've already got lots of stuff in the calendar for December and into next year as well. It's a bit fucking weird going from not leaving the house for ages to suddenly being out 3 times a week for stuff. It's also fucking expensive as well, especially as the price of a pint has crept up to £5.75 in my local venue.

The Mollusk

Quote from: dmillburn on November 01, 2021, 04:50:27 PM
First up was Bo Ningen, who were as brilliant as always

You may have caught the support act Lunch Money Life who're good mates of mine!

Kankurette

Piroshka at the Deaf Institute on Friday. A friend who's a big Lush fan recommended them to me.

dmillburn

Quote from: The Mollusk on November 01, 2021, 05:18:17 PM

I did catch 20 minutes or so of them and enjoyed them, they got a decent reception too.

monkfromhavana

Went to see Tricky last night, pretty good and the support from Lady Sanity was great. Shame it was a sit down gig and there were tops 150 people there.

Also, if you're going to see Tricky, it might be best not to leave after the encore, although you can go for a piss.

SteveDave

Quote from: The Mollusk on November 01, 2021, 05:18:17 PM

Somebody really likes both Bo Ningen and Lunch Money Life as this morning I saw their names daubed in paint on the currently closed The Fox pub on Kingsland Road.

The Mollusk

Quote from: SteveDave on November 04, 2021, 12:38:29 PM
Somebody really likes both Bo Ningen and Lunch Money Life as this morning I saw their names daubed in paint on the currently closed The Fox pub on Kingsland Road.

Heh I believe that was the bands themselves, LML put it on their Insta story a few days ago as they had an afterparty in a nearby venue after the tour ended the other week.

imitationleather

Going to see New Order down in That London on Saturday. Should be pretty good as they usually are.

homesickalien

Saw Jarvis Cocker at the Albert Hall in Manc the other night

Alot like Eels - I'm not that bothered about the records but he's good live

Kankurette

The Albert Hall is great. Perfect for Jarvis.

Piroshka were fun, albeit not on for too long, but then they only have two albums. Miki has aged like a fine Hungarian/Japanese wine.

non capisco

Black Midi next Friday, Stereolab next Sunday. Hopefully I won't get food poisoning and have to sprint from the venue to aggressively chunder all up the outside wall just before Stereolab take to the stage this time. If that somehow happens twice I'll give up the notion of ever seeing them, it just wasn't meant to be.

jobotic

Enjoy Stereolab. Thought about getting tickets to that but looked a bit risky at the time. They were brilliant on their last tour, as good as they were back in the day.

imitationleather

I'm not going to New Order anymore because my mum fell over yesterday coming out of the pub and broke her ankle, nose and jaw. Standard Mum.

Eh, I guess I've seen them over ten times and they always play the same songs anyway.

non capisco

Happy to report I finally got to see Stereolab this evening and I didn't even have to run away and vomit everywhere before they came on because of a moody sandwich like last time. They were great and played all the things I'd hoped they would.

jobotic

Quote from: xxxx xxx x xxx on November 02, 2021, 08:40:22 AM
WHAT????

I went to a restuarant in Hove on Friday and it was £7.50 for a bottle of Efes!