Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:47:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

RuPaul’s Drag Race UK series 3

Started by The Mollusk, September 25, 2021, 08:37:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Mollusk

At least four of them should have gone home in the first week. Stop getting rich teenagers on, they're fucking stupid.

thugler

Having watched a bunch of these now it's getting a bit samey. People getting tons of praise for having very obviously expensively made costumes, while others have home made thrown together stuff. That 19 year old with multiple cosmetic surgeries must be absolutely loaded.

The Mollusk

And yet her first runway - which they loved unanimously - looked like she threw it together in a garden centre.

I'm getting quite bored of the show overall now as well. The exposé on how if you ain't got money you ain't winning the competition really tarnished the sheen of it and I find it a lot harder to get sucked into it now. And yeah it doesn't help that the concepts are running thin. I mean let's be fair there's nearly 20 seasons now including the main series, overseas stuff and All Stars. It's fair to say that it's had a good run. I'll probably keep watching this but if it stays on track as being as disappointing as the first episode it might be time to call it a day.

I agree about being tired of the show in regards to the US version - season 13 was dreadful and AS6 not much better. But UK2 was brilliant because the queens actually had personalities and the challenges were fun. Hopefully this season delivers as well although Gay Joffrey is starting to grate already.

Also: Jaida "Essence of beauty" Hall made all of her outfits herself and won. Got Mik is friends with millionaires (Gigi Gorgeous and someone from the Getty family) who spent tens of thousands on her runways and lost. Just sayin'.

oggyraiding

I must say, nobody from the series is jumping out as someone I want to watch. River Medway's pointing was amusing, but the rest of them didn't float my boat. Krystal Versace fatshaming Victoria Scone was uncomfortable. Compared to UK Series 2 this lot aren't so good.

jobotic

River Medway is quite a thing here, hope she wins. Can't say I'm watching it though.

Clownbaby

I recall Veronica Green being hopeless at anything that involved humour or improvising and I reckon it'll be the same this time around. Nobody is catching my attention yet.

I'm not a big fan of masky fake teeth drag if that's all you ever do, so I hope Charity Kase has other ways of doing freaky looks. Getting strong vibes that botox Joffrey is one of them that can't emote or be funny because they're too fixated on looking hot, but I love being proven wrong

bgmnts

Won't lie Veronica Green is quite sexy.

Clownbaby

bgmnts

Quote from: Clownbaby on October 04, 2021, 06:12:43 PM
Ehhh she's got nowt on Bimini

That's probably fair but my only actual physical attraction is an aquiline nose.

The Mollusk

Anyone still watching? It's far from the greatness of series 2 but there's stuff to enjoy still. The ballad version of the pop song in the most recent episode was fantastic, the whole thing was just perfectly executed and such a joy to watch.

Krystal and Charity already repeating the same old formula of "flawless beauty" queen or "weird/unconventional" queen and not being able to shift outside that comfort zone, despite it being a fucking staple requirement of the show for like two decades now. Diversify ffs.

Blinder Data

Choriza May is my fave - I really hope she stays for Snatch Game.

According to my wife, Kitty Scott-Claus needs to improve her silhouette/proportions, but I think she will do well.

But I am becoming rather bored of the programme now. It's never a surprise - whoever makes Ru laugh the most and/or styles themselves like her usually wins.

Cuellar

Yes, getting bored with the Krystal 'type', slim, 'glamour', young, that the judges always fawn over. Choriza May is great fun, and it'd be great if she won but she won't of course.

Not sure who I can see winning. Maybe Ella Vaday, or Kitty.

The Mollusk

Krystal out of drag looks like a mouse that got run over with a floor buffer

oggyraiding

Has there ever been a double lipsync elimination before? Seemed kind of harsh.

The Mollusk

I thought it was harsh as well. They were both fairly naff this week but River belted out the energy for that lip sync. I mean guaranteed she's not top 3 material and wouldn't have lasted long (ditto Vanity Milan, her runway last night was crap and that whole Snatch Game was fucking woeful apart from Ella) but still, booting her off when she lip synced for her life was unfair.

Cuellar

Stupid shite. Choriza should have won the whole thing.

Blinder Data

I thought it was harsh at the time but afterwards I watched clips of lip syncs on the US version and the difference in quality was stark. River was better than Choriza but she still fluffed her lines/moves at one point and I'm guessing Ru decided not to include her when she clearly doesn't what it takes. Skip the end!

I think Crystal should've been in the bottom two - her Snatch Game was non-existent and she repeated a look. But the judges always look kindly on the young, pretty ones...

Kitty's the only one who seems to be enjoying herself and she's dead funny. Hope she wins.

The Mollusk

Cracking episode last night, finally. The show can really surprise you sometimes when the right amount of chemistry - knocks/boosts to confidence, coming out stories, air-clearing arguments and the like - helps to brew the thing into something brilliant. Sometimes it can be a whole season, sometimes it takes several episodes, sometimes it just lasts a week but when it happens I'm really glad to still be watching the show.

Kitty, Ella and Krystal are top 3 for sure. Their personalities have all blossomed really well across the last couple of episodes and they're all guns blazing now.

Clownbaby

Quote from: The Mollusk on October 23, 2021, 09:01:37 AM
Krystal out of drag looks like a mouse that got run over with a floor buffer

Hilarious

jobotic

Blinder Data

So there's a top 4 because no one was bad enough to be booted off. Vanity is arguably the weakest but they probably didn't want to risk her defeating someone they like in a lip-sync!

It's not the strongest or most exciting bunch. I think I still want Kitty but I expect Krystal to get it - would they give it to tubby comedy queens two years in a row? Doubtful.

olliebean

Quote from: Blinder Data on November 15, 2021, 10:53:23 AM
So there's a top 4 because no one was bad enough to be booted off.

Two more episodes to go, so I presume there'll be a top 3 in the final as usual.

Blinder Data

Quote from: olliebean on November 15, 2021, 04:30:33 PMTwo more episodes to go, so I presume there'll be a top 3 in the final as usual.

Thanks for pointing that out. I'm unsurprised by the final three but I was very wrong to think Krystal will win - last week was not good for her. I think it will be Ella (the editing of Kitty isn't painting her in a good light). A very tortoise-like win, but deserved.

The Mollusk

Ella's fucking ace and I'd be pleased if she won.

kitsofan34

Ella lip synced like she was trying to throw the competition. And don't get me started on that blue dress, hunty.

olliebean

Not to mention she'd apparently decided to do her makeup like an old woman.

The Mollusk

Same as it is every final then:

Excellent top three!

Brilliant musical performance!

Stunning runway looks!

Spoiler alert
Fucking baffling choice of winner!
[close]

olliebean

Quote from: The Mollusk on November 28, 2021, 10:25:18 PM
Spoiler alert
Fucking baffling choice of winner!
[close]

I thought it was a fair result based just on the final. The other two seemed like they weren't trying very hard.

Based on the entire season, not so much.

The Mollusk

Quote from: olliebean on November 29, 2021, 09:05:12 AMI thought it was a fair result based just on the final. The other two seemed like they weren't trying very hard.

Based on the entire season, not so much.

I agree, but I don't think RPDR should be gauged on the final performance only, since it's somewhat less of a major challenge. Aside from the choreography the rest seems like a cakewalk for a top three queen.

Spoiler alert
The overall growth of an individual talent across a season (Ella), or even just a broad display of diverse talent (Kitty), is far more worthy of the crown. Krystal is great, and her looks are couture as fuck but she served basically the same sort of thing every week and her personal growth, whilst admirable, wasn't something I'd call remarkable.
[close]